Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: No One

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, GrailKing said:

So is this a GOOF!

Reveal hidden contents

Or did Sansa actually write it for Edmure?

I don't think so.

Spoiler

The Blackfish is Sansa's great uncle and often times great uncles are simply called uncle and addressed as such in letters. I knew my grandmother's brothers, who were my great uncles, and I always referred to them as uncle when I talked about them, spoke to them and wrote letters to them. 

Edited by glowbug
14 minutes ago, glowbug said:

I don't think so.

Reveal hidden contents

The Blackfish is Sansa's great uncle and often times great uncles are simply called uncle and addressed as such in letters. I knew my grandmother's brothers, who were my great uncles, and I always referred to them as uncle when I talked about them, spoke to them and wrote letters to them. 

The goof is 

Spoiler

referring to Catelyn at Blackfish's sister -- she's his niece.  

I'm sure some unlucky intern is going to be dragged through the coals for it for the rest of her or his short television life and forever be known in the annals of ASOIAF as Intern Who Did Not Read Carefully Enough.  

I actually feel sorry for the poor sod -- she or he is getting torn apart in comment threads.  Oh well.  Silly publicity stunt anyway. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, glowbug said:

I don't think so.

Reveal hidden contents

No, is the letter actually

for Edmure, as she said her mother is his sister, not niece and the Tulley motto being in a slightly different order a goof?

Edited by GrailKing
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Misplaced said:

The goof is 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm sure some unlucky intern is going to be dragged through the coals for it for the rest of her or his short television life and forever be known in the annals of ASOIAF as Intern Who Did Not Read Carefully Enough.  

I actually feel sorry for the poor sod -- she or he is getting torn apart in comment threads.  Oh well.  Silly publicity stunt anyway. 

What does Show!Sansa know about Edmure? Is he still a Frey prisoner? Did he escape? Is he dead? Brienne is not trying to deliver the note to Edmure. Clearly, the "your sister" is the error.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Misplaced said:

The goof is 

Reveal hidden contents

There's another goof in the letter

Spoiler

Sansa wrote, "I call upon the bonds of Family, Honor, Duty..." but the Tully words are Family, Duty, Honor.

Edited by Constantinople

I am in a generous mood, so maybe the second goof is not a goof, but 

Spoiler

demonstrating Sansa is really not all that brilliant and/or so muddled by her trauma that she forgot the order.  Or showing that she's putting first what she actually values and focuses on and the words she expects to get her what she wants.  Duty, I think, is the part referring to the Tullys' responsibility to the smallfolk and those sworn to them.  Edmure was the only one of the Tullys who ever thought in that direction.  In AFFC it's mentioned that the Blackfish tossed out all the people Edmure had invited into Riverrun to keep safe, since he considered them a drain on his food stores.

Although it's probably just an intern told to write some stuff on a piece of paper that was never shown on screen and probably wasn't ever intended to be shown onscreen.

This episode just proved that Cersei doesn’t know how to play the long game. 

The Mountain ripping that guys head off, is what led to The Crown outlawing trail by combat. As I rewatch this, I’m amazed that Cersei has lasted this long, she really makes the dumbest decisions over and over again. 

Also Edmure Tully is such a wuss. Such a disgusting person, him and everyone who obeyed his order to kill The Blackfish. What a shit. 

On first watch, I thought this episode was rather boring but on rewatch I see it’s been reinforcing some common themes, mostly about pride. It always comes before the fall. 

So they weren't really from the guys that slaughtered Brother Ray weren't really the Brotherhood then (and loved the Hound casually taking the guy's boots).

Jaquen looked like such a proud dad when Arya brought the Waif's face to him!

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:15 AM, Potanical Pardon said:

he just knew knew knew the Castellan would follow honor rules or whatever, that even if he did, that anyone/everyone would go along with it too. I don't buy that writing.

Edmure IS the Lord of Riverrun, not the Blackfish. He may be a bad leader, but he's the one that the men have sworn to follow. And while they are sworn to fight, the men probably aren't any keener on dying than anyone else. Though ordering the Blackfish handed over was a step too far, IMO - in the books it's made clear that he knew the Blackfish escaped (and may have facilitated his escape).

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:57 AM, Tyro49 said:

So where are the Tully men going? Are they all to be held prisoner?

Looked (to me) as if they were surrendering their arms, but were allowed to go (presumably home, or toward Winterfell if they want to keep fighting).

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:41 AM, Anisky said:

nobody is the slightest bit concerned that Walder Frey might be angry about his allies knowingly and cold-bloodedly killing his children and grandchildren.

The Frey's aren't terribly family focused - more about internecine feuding. For the most part, it seems the Freys are happy to see their relatives dying as it means they're higher in the pecking order when it comes to the succession to Walder himself. Yes, Walder might be pissed, but he's probably not going to challenge the Lannisters.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:31 AM, screamin said:

I think there should be, like, a law against any more scenes Tyrion urging Dany's cohorts to drink 'comedically'.

I hate that IRL when people urge me to drink when I don't want to (which is most of the time) - onscreen it's just as bad.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:01 PM, stillshimpy said:

Sure, everyone stand back while the Mountainstein kills Bird Brain number 482.  Don't swarm him, hamstring him, attempt to set him on fire.   Just lure the big creeper into a courtyard and pour burning oil on him.

Yes! it's a huge leap to go from "One guy whacking him in the chest with a club didn't work!" to "He's invulnerable!" Though I could understand nobody else really wanted to test what might work given the likely consequences of failure...

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:55 PM, Avaleigh said:

Dany has a lot of nerve coming in looking upset. As if she didn't have her own hiccups ruling Meereen. Last time she left she was under attack so is she really surprised that the situation is still bad and hostile?

Yes, it annoys me that it's being implied that Tyrion was wrong to work a deal with the Slavers. Danny was suffering from a large scale civil insurrection when she left - now the city is back under control. Sure, that's because the Slavers have adopted a direct approach - which is actually ideal, as a naval armada is something that can be neatly dealt with by dragonfire.

It's all very well to say Tyrion screwed up (and arguably, he did), but it's not as if anybody was coming up with an alternate plan to restore control to Slavers' Bay. It's easy to criticise (hey, the internet could show you that) when you don't have any plan of our own!