Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: I Know What You Did Last Summer

Emma returns to Lakewood looking to move past last season’s killings. However, a dream begins to haunt Emma and a mysterious provocateur threatens to expose Audrey’s connection to Piper and the safety of our Lakewood Six.

1 hour ago, Cranberry said:

@Happytobehere -- Mtv.com seems to put up full episodes! I'm in Canada so I can't check, but are those free for anyone to watch for a certain number of days after the episode airs?

Hopefully this is true.  Usually, the websites ask for your cable provider to check if you are a subscriber.

I'm excited for this! I'm trying not to be, because I actually found last season disappointing overall and know that low expectations is the key to enjoying this kind of show, but hope springs eternal, and this season looks like it might be better...or at least just as fun to snark on :) 

• Love 1
On 5/27/2016 at 11:40 PM, Happytobehere said:

Hopefully this is true.  Usually, the websites ask for your cable provider to check if you are a subscriber.

I don't believe I had to enter any cable provider information for the one episode I had to watch on MTV.com last year.

Geez, Conner Weil showed more charisma in those selfie contest things than he did all last season.

Does the episode title count as an in joke, considering Kevin Williamson wrote both screenplays?

Where is Kieren living? He moved in with his dad because his mom and stepdad died prior to series' start. I don't believe he's 18, and even if he is, he doesn't exactly have a job.

Bye, Jake. Never would have guessed I would be upset that he was killed during the early episodes.

• Love 1

I watched season 1 on Netflix so it felt a lot different (worse) watching with commercials tonight. 

It was ok. I wasn't really feeling Emma, who I loved in season 1. I never cared for The Jake so his death was nice to see, though I have no idea why he wasn't killed when he was caught the bear trap. Why knock him out, put him in the barn, and then kill him? Brooke didn't have much to do tonight but I liked her and her reactions to being on Emma's field trip. Emma's bland love interest was bland. Noah was too pushy and annoying. He's lost his charm. The saving grace of tonight's episode was Audrey. She's the series mvp for me. Bex is definitely the best actress.

The new killer doesn't really do anything for me so far. He/she just feels very generic. Last season's killer had personality from the very first episode and the phone calls were always a highlight of each episode..

All of the new characters are so forced that I actually groaned out loud. The new teacher lacks the charm and charisma of Mr Bransen, and the 2 new students we're supposed to suddenly care about felt clunky and forced. 

I missed the Sheriff from last season and Emma's mom. Last season the adults had a decent amount of screentime, but that didn't feel the case here. I did like the new cop though. I hope to see more of him.

I felt the teen drama was ramped up too, but maybe that was the terrible WB/CW-ish soundtrack that played over a few of the scenes. (The terrible MTV commercials didn't help the mood for me either).

Maybe the show has always been like this and I was spoiled by binge-watching on Netflix, but these things really stood out to me tonight.

• Love 1

My favorite line was about how psychology affects our "living lives" which is more interesting than our "dead lives" I suppose. Even with a new writing team, it's still horrendous. None of the acting's improved either. I wasn't the world's biggest Jake fan, but the Tom Maden snark on the after show was great.

• Love 3

I wasn't really feeling Emma, who I loved in season 1.

Weirdly enough, this may have been the first time I really liked Emma! She was too dully perfect for me for most of last season, but I liked the way she had been so clearly and deeply affected by what she went through, her crumbling hopes of resuming a normal life post-breakdown, etc. She felt more vulnerable and real to me somehow. On a shallow note, though, the actress looked really odd to me. Her hair? Her makeup? Both or neither?! I really couldn't tell, but she just looked a lot less pretty than I'd remembered, and not in a way that made me think they were doing it deliberately to convey how much she'd been through. 

I actually really, really love both Audrey and Noah, like to the point where I'm having trouble coming to terms with how a show with writing that generally ranges from 'eh' to downright awful managed to create two characters I find so genuinely interesting, vibrant, distinctive, etc. 

Bye, Jake. Never would have guessed I would be upset that he was killed during the early episodes.

I still wasn't much of a Jake fan---his habit of referring to himself in the third person was enough of a reason to kill him off!----but Brook is the one who falls into that category for me. I couldn't stand her for the first part of last season, and something about the actress still grates on me a little, but now I really like her friendship with Emma and what she adds to the show.  

My favorite line was about how psychology affects our "living lives" which is more interesting than our "dead lives" I suppose.

I was cringing throughout that entire scene! I HATED that teacher, and not in a fun 'love to hate' way, just in a way that has me praying (probably in vain) that she's next week's victim :) 

Emma's bland love interest was bland.

The very blandest! I literally still never recognize him when he comes on screen and constantly forget his name. Are they going for a 'nice guy who might not actually be as nice as we think' vibe, or a mysterious brooding loner thing, or...? Whatever they're trying is not working for me---this character really is a massive waste of space for me, and I always find Emma the least likable when she's sharing scenes with him. And that facial hair the actor's now sporting is just painful to look at!

Even with a new writing team, it's still horrendous

Objectively, I think I agree with you...but somehow I was engaged anyway and couldn't look away! 

• Love 2

I'm watching for Noah and Audrey. I like them.

Wasn't expecting Jake to go so soon. It seemed to me like they were going for a "Saw" vibe when he woke up in the barn - and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm watching for Noah and Audrey. I like them.

Wasn't expecting Jake to go so soon. It seemed to me like they were going for a "Saw" vibe when he woke up in the barn - and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 

Makes me wonder if his death will end up being streamed and that's how people discover it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wasn't expecting one of the main characters from last season to die so soon especially not in the first episode of this second season. Sorry Jake!

I like Noah, but I'm leaning towards him being the new killer. He's very tech-savvy and is obsessed with the murders so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. Although that new girl that pranked Audrey in the movie theater seems pretty suspicious too.

Edited by Steph619
2 hours ago, Steph619 said:

[T]hat new girl that pranked Audrey in the movie theater seems pretty suspicious too.

The Marrie Pranksters are actually a good couple of suspects.  What better way to through suspicion off of you than to pretend to be the killer?

2 hours ago, Steph619 said:

I wasn't expecting one of the main characters from last season to die so soon especially not in the first episode of this second season. Sorry Jake!

I feel like they wanted to off one of them early for the shock factor.

I think that new girl that Emma asked for help studying is going to be the killer, just because she's new and the killer is probably someone knew. Although I think Piper wasn't introduced in the first episode, so maybe we haven't even seen the killer yet. Have they mentioned that Brandon James had a brother before?

(edited)

So, season 2, episode 1....the show still hasn't convinced me that Kieran isn't a killer. I really think the show is doing it on purpose now, playing with Kieran and making him seem like an excellent possibility to be a killer. And now that everyone is on Team Kieran on the show, he'd make the perfect reveal. Like, he was late to school (or Emma didn't see him) and Jake went missing during the night. He's kept in contact with Emma, which killers would want to do, and he's the perfect shade of bland to make people not suspect him. Plus, he got over his dad's death rather quickly. And he has a house to himself. 

Anyway, well Jake's dead. Bye Jake! I will admit they got me to somewhat feel for his death for a minute. It definitely felt Saw-like in his kill, with the toying and the inevitability of death no matter what. And look, now I like Brooke! Now that she has more of a personality and dumped Jake, she earns some points in my book. But still, I believe that she would make a perfect victim this season and I would be fine with her death.

New kids are kind of bland. I only remember the girl's name, Zoe, and the other new guy I have no idea what his name is. Zoe seems like she could be interesting as an accomplice....or dead by the fifth episode. New guy seems like a good suspect but he's probably harmless. The teacher has as much charm as Seth Branson, which...isn't any at all. Also, the hints about Noah/Teacher? Meh, I hope she becomes a victim in episode 4. 

Noah isn't as charming as I remember. I think it's because of his insistence on the podcast. Audrey is still, by far, the most interesting character. Emma has gotten marginally interesting, but I don't care about her romance with Kieran, or her visions. 

So, I predict there are definitely two killers this season, not just one like last season. I predict Kieran and Zoe. 

What are the odds that the teen pranksters will make a reappearance as victims at some point? And their deaths will probably be framed on one of the main characters? I haven't seen much framing in season 1, so I'm wondering if it'll happen this season. Well, besides Seth. But he's not a very interesting character to begin with

Edited by Lady Calypso

I wasn't surprised to see one of the main cast from S1 go in the first episode, but I was hoping that it would be Emma. Mostly because she's my least favorite of the bunch, but also because it would have been pretty shocking to axe the "survivor girl" in the first moments of S2. But I guess we're stuck with her.

Didn't understand why the Killer dragged Jake's murder out for so long. He definitely could have killed him while he was stuck in the bear trap, so there must be some reason he let Jake live for as long as he did.

Everything else was pretty forgettable. Audrey grates on my nerves and I wouldn't be sad to see her go. There's no need for the amount of brooding she does.

• Love 1

Much as I wish Jake were really dead, I'm not so sure. There seem to be some shenanigans going on. For one thing, unless there is a second barn, the timeline of when the Jake stuff happened doesn't feel right. We see Emma at the barn, and it is all clean, no bodies, no blood, no trail, yet it is interspersed simultaneously with the scenes of Jake's murder.

Add to that what others have noted in regards to the strangeness of how Jake's death plays out; he's knocked out (not killed), somehow survives the blood loss of the bear trap for several hours, is allowed a chance to drag himself to the barn door, only to then be knocked out again and suspended in chains from the ceiling before finally being killed? Weird. And it's all on camera for some as yet unknown reason. Plus we still don't know what his "master plan" to prove himself to Brooke and everyone else was, except that it somehow involved a gas canister and some sort of derelict housing project (at least that's what it looked liked). Suspicious.

• Love 1

I completely missed that this show was back, and was surprisingly excited when I found out. Just as I remembered, it's terrible, and perfectly enjoyable. The introductions of the new characters were cringey as fuck. I could barely watch the scene where New Guy randomly showed up at Noah's locker and blew his mind with some clunky "the killing never ends" crap that is clearly going to be the theme of the season. And with them giving Jake the asshole treatment, I thought it was fairly predictable that he was being prepped for murder.

I really hope they go there and have one of the remaining five be a killer. It won't be Aubrey because it's too easy, so she's likely making it through the season. It's not Brooke because she's the angel bitch who I'm convinced will be the actual final girl. I don't think it's Kieran, because I think he'll be a mid-season victim. It could be Noah, in which case he'll die in the finale. But mostly, I think and hope that it's Emma, who I'm pretty sure is dying in the finale either way. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I caught up this weekend. By the way, if anyone has issues watching on MTV, Netflix is airing it in real time or at least they have the episode up the same week. That's how I saw it. I thought for sure they'd wait until the season was over and just upload all like they tend to do. I have to say, I didn't love this episode as much as I did the first episodes of the first season. The two new characters, I agree with others, are kind of awful. Frankly I'm still bitter they killed the Asian girl who liked Noah last season and would definitely take her in favor of the new girl. 

The new teacher is okay but did they really say that the new guy is the new sheriff's son because wow, way to be unoriginal there writers. Also, his whole "I'm so mysterious" vibe already annoying me and I have no desire to see any potential romance with him and Emma because I imagine it will be as bland as all her other pairings. Which, speaking of, Emma and more appropriately the actress playing her, remains as bland as ever. However, I agree with others that she's not so bad when interacting with Brooke or Audrey or Noah. It's when she's with Kieran it's really a problem. 

My goodness, if it is possible, dude has gotten ever MORE boring and bland than last season. Can they PLEASE make him guilty so he can leave because wow, talk about dull? There can't possibly a big shipping fanbase for those two right? I mean I know the tweens/teens are easy to please and well Spencer and Toby from PLL are really popular and Keegan Allen is just a boring and awful but dear god Emma and Kieran are uninteresting together and Kieran is duller than dishwater. Every scene with those two just had my mind wandering and me checking out from the episode. 

I am interested in where the story is going with Audrey. I feel like it's too obvious that she really was helping Piper and instead we'll find out that she didn't realize Piper was the one doing the killings and her letters to her were not exactly as they seemed. Or she may well have been on it but then it makes no sense that her girlfriend was murdered. 

I forgot to mention that I loved the new police officer's reaction to that idiot girl and her equally idiot boyfriend. These two dumb asses decide to attack a girl who has been severely traumatized and when she defends herself and the dumbass boyfriend gets stabbed, idiot girl wants to act like the girl committed some crime and they're the victims because "it was a joke..." I loved the officer basically saying, "you attacked her and were filming so it's all on video that you attacked her first. So she could sue your asses for assault and emotional distress. Just walk away..."

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

But mostly, I think and hope that it's Emma, who I'm pretty sure is dying in the finale either way.

Ha---somehow this comment just reminded me of why I'm among the few people on the planet who really likes Scream 4 :) (I don't think we're allowed to spoiler tag comments about movies that came out so long ago, but I'm scared to go into detail!) 

I do think that establishing Emma had these fairly major psychological issues this year will be used to make us wonder whether she's capable of killing and/or maybe not remembering some of what she does. Or maybe they're just an attempt to somehow make the character more interesting, which is fine with me, because it's not like she could be LESS interesting :)  

Edited by amensisterfriend

I mean, Jake did call Emma Girl Interrupted, and the note called Jake BOY interrupted so it had to be someone at the party right? Unless their tech has been hacked AGAIN, I swear I would go Amish in these kids situation.