Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Times They Are A-Changin

The night shift crew is back for more action and the gang finds themselves immersed in a life-and-death rescue of a woman gravely injured in a car accident. While TC Callahan, Scott Clemmens and Topher Zia deal with the situation at the hospital, Drew Alister is serving time overseas in Afghanistan and he, along with colleague Syd Jennings, have to figure out a way around the cultural divide to treat a young Afghani woman. Jordan Alexander has recruited Shannon Rivera to the night shift team and the recent med school graduate is eager to prove herself, but her spunky, outspoken nature may not sit well with everyone, particularly Paul Cummings. TC's sister-in-law, Annie, returns and JR Lemon also stars as Nurse Kenny Fournette.

I was afraid that Drew was gone from the show because they shipped him off to Afghanistan, so I was happy to see him.

Kenny and Topher are the best.

Google tells me Scott Wolf is 47...I'm having a hard time believing it.

• Love 1

I am glad this is back but I do wish they would get rid of the Afghanistan scenes. I feel like the show has to pick - big city trauma hospital or war-zone hospital. Jumping back and forth really makes no sense and ruins the flow.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, scribe95 said:

I am glad this is back but I do wish they would get rid of the Afghanistan scenes. I feel like the show has to pick - big city trauma hospital or war-zone hospital. Jumping back and forth really makes no sense and ruins the flow.

I agree, they need to get rid of the Afghanistan stuff.  I fear that if they keep switching back and forth, they'll lose viewers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode was as ridiculous as all of them that have come before, and I'm so happy the show is back.

Jennifer Beals is a solid addition, although she doesn't make up for the loss of Krista and Ragosa (at least we know what happened to Ragosa, Krista must be on the same spaceship that Landry's on).  I'm not quite sure about the new resident.  I think they need another stronger female character, because Jordan certainly isn't, and Gwen is annoying, but she was pushing way into cliche territory.  I liked the actress, I think.

Seeing Drew's wedding ring made me smile.

Maybe Krista is off in a Doctors Without Borders hospital having really hot sex with Chavez.  I could get behind that.

I guess Topher hurt his shoulder when the Resistance had to bug out of the Ileenium system.

Edited by starri
Because Star Wars
  • Love 4

I don't miss Krista at all, but I do miss Ragosa.  It's good to see Kenny's fine self again.

I hope they're not setting up new female med school graduate with Paul, just because they were sniping at each other.  I just hope they make them friends and leave it at that. I do not want to see them pawing each other in the janitor's closet or some other tired trope.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I don't miss Krista at all

In a show that wears its insanity on its sleeve, Drew and Krista's friendship was one of the few things that I always found 100% authentic.  Since they've shipped him off to Afghanistan, I guess they'd have been split up anyway.

As to Paul and Tough-Girl Intern, unless it turns out she's a lesbian (which would make her even more of a cliche), they'll be bumping uglies in an empty room by episode 5.

Am I crazy, or do they have an entirely new set?

• Love 2

I wasn't updated on any of the changes, so I'm surprised that both Krista and Ragosa are apparently gone.  With Krista at least, I can believe she just went off with Chavez in the Doctors without Borders program, but was Ragosa that "empty locker", Paul was telling the new trainee about?  Either way, I will miss the Krista/Drew stuff and Ragosa in general.

Speaking of Drew, I wonder how long he's going to be in Afghanistan with Dr. Jennifer Beals?  They were good together, but I hope he isn't seperated from the rest of the cast for too long.

New Intern is already getting on my nerves, but Paul is so falling for her, so I'm just going to be prepared for that to happen.

Not surprised TC and Jordan broke-up.  This is going to be one of those shows where the main couple keeps bouncing around, until they finally make it official; probably two seasons too late.

Topher continues to be awesome.

Man, each season, the show gets new credits and each time, it becomes more and more explosive and "extreme."

Welcome back, Night Shift!  I do feel like it makes more sense going back to the summer.  It was just weird when the last season was in February.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Not surprised TC and Jordan broke-up.  This is going to be one of those shows where the main couple keeps bouncing around, until they finally make it official; probably two seasons too late.

I hope this doesn't turn into a will they or won't they mess like Casey/Dawson on Chicago Fire.

Oh who am I kidding?  TC and Jordan are so going to get back together.

• Love 1

The back-and-forth didn't bother me, though if I had to choose, I enjoyed Drew's storyline more. I also liked the messenger-nurse in Afghanistan-- hope he sticks around.

I'm definitely imagining Krista is with Chavez until I hear otherwise.

And note to the Nightshift writers (and/ or dialect coach, if they have one): Don't make Eoin Macken continually repeat a word that he can't say with a convincing American accent. The scene where he said "can't" about eighty times was hilarious; it sounded worse each time it came out.

• Love 2

An aside:  does anyone know why NBC isn't putting the show on Hulu?  I don't have cable and end up doing a lot of time shifting, which makes it extra annoying.  I know I can (and did) watch on the NBC website, but I can't do that from my TV.

Strangely enough, I don't watch this show with my whole brain focusing on it, so I seriously needed a "previously on" reminder of what happened before.... if there was one and the DVR missed it, apologies NBC.  Jennifer Beals was great, so I hope they work her in somehow, but I'm not sure equal parts Texas and Afghanistan are a good idea.  

It's crazy, it's kinda silly, but it's great summer fun, and I like it a lot.

PS - And I really appreciated a writer finally using "eye of the storm" correctly, as in the calm spot in a hurricane, not the worst of it.  

• Love 1

I like the addition of Dr. Jennifer Beals. I think Dr. Scott Wolf and her would make waaaay better leads than Jordan and TC. No romance, just strictly professional.

I like Paul with the longer/scruffier hair. Kenny would look great with that look too!

Tough intern can leave anytime.  Don't forget to take Jordan, TC and the paramedic with you.

Don't miss Krista.

I agree about the Afghanistan scenes. I'm hoping once Dr. JB and Drew come back home, we won't have Afghanistan anymore.

Love Topher!

• Love 2
(edited)

Holy schlamoly, I forgot how gruesome the medical procedure scenes always are on this show! And how ramped up the crisis factor is, regardless of any character's motivation. All of a sudden, Creepy Husband doesn't even care if he has a son or a wife? He just wants uppity Drew dead? Yeah, no. Don't be making me roll my eyes before the first episode is over, show.

And of course it's a cliffhanger.

Beals is kind of awesome, actually. Who knew that could happen? Not loving Whiny Topher -- seems out of character for him. More of a Tragic Conundrum thing, really. Love Annie getting sober and being TC's truth-teller, though.

Goodbye, Lil' Angry Onion! I think I'll miss you most of all.

Edited by Sandman