Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Scott Effect

Episode synopsis: CNO Tom Chandler is sent to Asia to investigate a possible mutation of the Red Flu. Captain Slattery and his crew deliver a cure to Southeast Asia but there may be an unexpected threat in the region.

I guess it's time to kill off some people from last season. Maybe it's just me, but with the end of civilization I think the US could get away with a tactical nuke aimed at Hong Kong.

5 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

So Rachel's dead. And Valerie, the new young techie, I guess is dead. (Why? She seemed like a nice addition.) This show makes the Walking Dead look like a pansy show. Where was Tex?

Unless Valerie somehow jumped or grabbed a parachute.  Though it does give Wolf a reason to go all berserker mode and kill anyone involved with Valerie's death.  I guess we will never know what was that deal with "the noise" on the comm channels.

13 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

So Rachel's dead. And Valerie, the new young techie, I guess is dead. (Why? She seemed like a nice addition.) This show makes the Walking Dead look like a pansy show. Where was Tex?

I am sad that Rachel & Valerie died. I can't figure out how the plane blew up.

Scott really is dead, huh?  I wonder if this was planned all along or if Rhona Mirta wanted out for whatever reason.  Either way, they had a period of mourning and at least mention her still, but Chandler is already making eyes at this Sasha character, who seems to be a former flame or something. Would be more annoyed, but I can't, because dammit!  It's Bridget Regan!  I love Bridget Regan, so I am all for her character.  Not surprised that she's a badass too, because it would be a waste to not have her kick some kind of ass.

Kind of bummed that they took out Valerie too.  I guess they're trying to set-up an "Anything can happen!" thing, but I enjoyed her interactions with Granderson last season and Wolf here.

Not surprised they delayed the episode, because that shoot-out at the rave really was intense and I couldn't help but think of what it was like in Orlando just one week ago.

Is this the first time meeting Burke's older brother?

Not sure I trust Michener's judgment, if he choose Elizabeth Rohm to be a member of his cabinet.  Kidding!  It actually looks like it is Nestor Serrano's character that might be the bigger issue.

Tex is gone, too?

More thoughts in the next episode thread.

• Love 2

OH . . . so that's why they postponed this. I didn't even put two and two together until this morning. 

So . . . that happened. I don't know, it was OK I guess and it held my attention, but I'm not sure the premise is the same anymore. They sure aren't "The Last Ship." Far from it. Although to be fair, this show has about as much in common with the book it's "based" on as Game of Thrones has with HR Puffnstuff. 

Haven't gotten around to the second episode yet, maybe my attitude will improve. It's lucky for this show that a lot of other Sunday night shows are ending next week because the main reason I've stuck with this is lack of anything else to watch.

My feed (Space channel - Canadian feed) only showed The Scott Effect. 

I have Space Canadian feed and I got both. However, the 2nd hour wasn't listed as "The Last Ship" it was listed as something else. The guide information was wrong but it did air 2 hours of Last Ship.  Seems like a mess up on either Space not updating the guide information in time or the cable companies for not updating the information in time. 

I don't mind Scott being dead, I don't know where they could take the character. She lost a lot of credibility. I really liked Val. May be she jumped? I hope so.

• Love 1

I have Space Canadian feed and I got both. However, the 2nd hour wasn't listed as "The Last Ship" it was listed as something else. The guide information was wrong but it did air 2 hours of Last Ship.  Seems like a mess up on either Space not updating the guide information in time or the cable companies for not updating the information in time. 

Ugh. That explains it. There was only one listing for the show, and wasn't watching live, so didn't record the next show aired.

Damn you, Rogers!! Thanks for letting me know, Artsda. I'm going to assume then that airing is "back to normal"

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I guess we will never know what was that deal with "the noise" on the comm channels.

18 hours ago, oakville said:

I can't figure out how the plane blew up

My completely unsubstantiated guess is that Valerie saw some kind of sub-frequency transmission going on that linked a bomb on the plane to a transmitter somewhere on the ground.  She might not have known it was a bomb, but she knew enough that they had to get back on the ground right now.  Not quick enough, though.  My other guess is that more will be revealed as the story arc proceeds.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OH . . . so that's why they postponed this. I didn't even put two and two together until this morning. 

So . . . that happened. I don't know, it was OK I guess and it held my attention, but I'm not sure the premise is the same anymore. They sure aren't "The Last Ship." Far from it. Although to be fair, this show has about as much in common with the book it's "based" on as Game of Thrones has with HR Puffnstuff. 

Haven't gotten around to the second episode yet, maybe my attitude will improve. It's lucky for this show that a lot of other Sunday night shows are ending next week because the main reason I've stuck with this is lack of anything else to watch.

It's a very enjoyable show to watch with lots of action & a good cast. The political intrigue this season is new & it's hard to believe that so many Asian countries have functioning governments.

On 6/19/2016 at 8:12 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Unless Valerie somehow jumped or grabbed a parachute.  Though it does give Wolf a reason to go all berserker mode and kill anyone involved with Valerie's death.  I guess we will never know what was that deal with "the noise" on the comm channels.

I think a lot of the deaths were casting driven. On IMDB it looks like Tania Raymonde is pretty busy, maybe she couldn't do a full season?

Anyway, I think the "noise" mystery will play out over a few more episodes.

I was surprised they brought back Tania Raymonde for one episode, only to kill her off.  Why not use any ol' red shirt in the plane?  I guess it was for the shock value.  They ended last season killing off a major (female) character and started this season killing off another.  Yet both were replaced immediately by similar (female) characters.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not too excited about the new season from what I have seen so far.  I really dislike the new Intel girl and her whole "I know that look" trying to establish a love connection with Chandler.  Ugh.  Why do showrunners do this?  They had a good 'will they or won't they' with Scott and Chandler who had far more chemistry than Chandler and the new girl.  Just why.  

Edited by sunflower12
  • Love 1

It's a pretty terrible day when a show kills off Rhona Mitre but leaves Duck Phillips in full possession of his contract.

So this is the show now that the Benny Hill gang has been vanquished?  The Nathan James will just bounce between Third World countries quashing tin-pot dictators?