Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E23: Start Digging

• Start Topic

Season Finale:

In the Season 3 finale, the team investigates the murder of a single mom who was in contact with Voight's now-reformed son, who was himself brutally assaulted. Meanwhile, Roman makes a major decision and Crowley plans to make changes within the unit.

(edited)

$10 says Voight made the guy fill the grave in and then put him in his car to (a) do it by the book and take him back to the precinct or (b) deliver him to some gangbangers who owe Voight a favor to finish killing him. Not sure how only Erin knew where to find him and why she didn't alert the rest of the detectives about it.

Voight's boss is a little unbelievable, like she literally couldn't stop Voight from using his unit to investigate this? Everyone just ignores her? Great leadership, just caving in after making the correct call to tell him someone else needed to be in charge. But I did love me some Trudy and the looks she gave her in that scene.

Bye Roman--don't let the door hit you on the way out.... Can't say I'll  miss you. Maybe you can be a bailiff on Justice.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

I'm with you, MakeMeLaugh. While the show certainly intended to make us think Hank killed the guy, they didn't actually show him doing so, and I don't believe for a second that wasn't intentional. Maybe he still did, but the purposeful omissions of an actual death moment or a body make me hold onto at least a shred of hope that Erin got through to him.

• Love 1

How dare they kill off Justin right as his facial hair filled in and he got extra sexy. HOW DARE THEY.

But yeah, sad ass episode. I think he killed the guy though.  It wasn't definitive, but if you put him back in your car, there's no need to tamp down the earth and make it level again. Who cares what you were digging if there's nothing in the hole, right?

• Love 1

Whether he did or didn't kill him, I really despise dirty, corrupt cops - so many problems lead right back to them.  

Sad his son was killed - just as I am for others but he's just so super duper special, he abuses his power and authority as he does?  Yech.  

And, all the sycophants that follow his lead like he is the messiah or something.  Unreal.  It's a whole breeding ground for a whole next generation of cops doing the same.  

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Lee4U said:

Whether he did or didn't kill him, I really despise dirty, corrupt cops - so many problems lead right back to them.  

Sad his son was killed - just as I am for others but he's just so super duper special, he abuses his power and authority as he does?  Yech.  

And, all the sycophants that follow his lead like he is the messiah or something.  Unreal.  It's a whole breeding ground for a whole next generation of cops doing the same.  

I disagree with his methods, but he's a complicated and fascinating character on a show with a lot of very simple characters. Jason Beghe's acting in this episode was incredible.

Edited by Andy
  • Love 8

Maybe it's because Chicago--we the taxpayers, has paid out over half a billion in police brutality lawsuits over the past few yrs, I really wish they would dump Voight and the police brutality.

• Love 2

Josh Segarra is so hot--he totally steals the (naked as I recall) opening scene in Trainwreck and was hilarious in the now defunct sitcom Sirens, not to mention he played (still playing) Emilio Estefan on Broadway. we'll miss you, Justin Voight!

Voight probably would have had the perp dig a grave in a forest preserve, not an urban parking lot, if he really wanted to hide the body, which is partly why I think we're being played by Show to think he was killed. Hard to think Voight could come back if he did kill him, and not hearing any buzz that the actor is leaving the show. 

(edited)

I would imagine if I lived in Chicago, I might have a different attitude about Voigt and his team.  However, I view it as something that could happen in any major city with a high crime rate...good or bad.

Actually, I thought Voigt tried pretty had to keep the team out of his "solution."  -- diverting them while he met with the good fellas.

IMO, Voigt killed Kevin.  As someone commented up-thread, why fill a hole if you didn't bury anything in it?

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 2

I want this show to totally reinvent itself next season with new cast members added and maybe Voigt not being in charge for awhile. They really need to add more diversity to the show because there are way too many white, straight guys on the squad and that's not realistic for Chicago. BTW I live Chicago.

(edited)
15 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Maybe it's because Chicago--we the taxpayers, has paid out over half a billion in police brutality lawsuits over the past few yrs, I really wish they would dump Voight and the police brutality.

Its not just Chicago, from the very beginning The Shield was about a dirty cop squad a take on  LAPD's C.R.A.S.H. , that Chicago PD's character got retconned into being okay still doesn't fly. He even pulled the same stove burning that Sergeant Mackey did with his Strike Team

Edited by Raja

That's not realistic for the police force of chicago?  You sure?  I'm seriously asking. This is an intelligence squad of 8. there's a woman, a black guy, a latino, and 2 old white guys, and 2 young white guys . They had a black girl for a little bit in the past, and another white woman in the pilot. 

I could definitely go for more ethnic people(especially women), but it never struck me as unrealistic.

• Love 1

There are dirty cops - we have them and have had them here in droves in NYC; I just think it is possible to make a show (because god knows there aren't enough cop shows on television...) where the lead character is not a dirty cop.  

I'm far from saying they don't exist but, a show about decent cops is not impossible to have decent storylines.  Again, throw in a few dirty cops malingering around if they feel they have to but Law & Order, for one, was able to do a good show without the stink of corrupt cops.  

This show, in particular, shows this dirty cop as being some sort of hero while at least some other shows depict for them for what they are - 

• Love 1

When Voight was on Chicago Fire in the first season--his son, the now dearly departed Justin, was drunk and caused an accident that killed someone, I believe--and Casey, one of the CF leads, pushed for Justin's arrest (and eventual conviction) on homicide charges against every incentive Voight offered to keep it quiet, Voight went into full bad-cop mode and made Casey's life a living hell (I seem to recall even Casey's fiancee was collateral damage and killed in a fire Voight caused?), and Voight went to jail himself as a result.  

Voight in those CF episodes was a very compelling but completely despicable rendition of a bad, dirty cop. How CPD redeemed him is a marvel of creative writing. I completely agree that making him seem heroic now by disregarding the system as he literally tortures anyone in his way is beyond awful. Plus, it demeans the typical real police (I live in suburbs of Chicago now).

Perhaps Show realizes this now. I wonder if Antonio will indeed be put in charge of the unit and Voight will return but report to him next season and the story lines will move to clashes between them and out of the torture cage (which should be removed by Antonio as his first official act).

If the show doesn't address the real problems happening here in Chicago it will be rendered irrelevant. Making Voight answer for his misdeeds would go a long way in redeeming the show for many people. As much as Casey and Gabby irritate me on CF Casey deserves this win. I like the idea of putting Antonio in charge of the unit and bumping Voight down.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

His darkness and his dark history make him an interesting character to me.  He's not a role model nor is he intended to be one.

The way Erin fawns over him (while understandable) is problematic at times. That's another change I want to see.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was glad they at least had a scene about Erin's reaction to the loss. She grew up with him (or at least, part of her teens). She thinks of Justin as a brother. I liked her scene with Burgess. And as much as I don't care about Roman, I liked that he chose to man-up and shake hands with Ruzek on the way out. THAT'S how to be an adult, Ruzek.

I, too, liked the old-school capos delivering the bad guy to Voight. That was awesome.

TVLine recap - contains info from show runner on possible storylines next season, so be warned.

Chicago P.D. Boss on Voight's Rage, 'Baby Steps' for 'Linstead' and More

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'd like to see Voigt be punished in some way....letting Antonio run the unit would be part of it.  Making him take a leave of absense could be another part.  Obviously, he would still be a part of the show...renegade cop, etc.

Edited by sinycalone

I'm really going to miss the Sean Roman character.  I liked what he had the potential to bring to the show, if only he had been served by better writing.  

I liked that he took pride in being on patrol and that he had no ambition to move up to Detective.  He was proud of the job he was doing and knew that it could make a difference in people's lives.  He didn't view patrol as just an irritating stepping stone to making detective.  He certainly didn't put Voight or the unit on a pedestal.  He recognized the value that the unit offered in serving the city but he didn't feel it gave them any free passes or diminished his own contributions.  He was confident in himself, a good judge of character, a practical realist and not intimidated by Voight, Olinsky or anyone else.  He felt the most real of all the characters on the show.  I just wish he had been given more to do.  

Even his exit was such a lost opportunity.   It would have been more compelling to watch it play out over several episodes as Roman had to deal with loosing the very thing that defined him and all the emotional upheaval that would have created.   He could have potentially had some nice scenes with Mouse, Platt (especially Platt, as she had been through it herself) and Dr. Charles about that.  I also don't really buy that the character would suddenly decide to quit when he could possibly have taken a position as an academy instructor.  It was only a few episodes earlier that he expressed an interest in being a field training officer. 

I understand it was the actor's choice to leave.  I get that and frankly I never really understand why he had agreed to two seasons anyway. To go from strong supporting parts in movies like The Hurt Locker and Flight to playing 3rd fiddle on mildly successful network show for less than 15 minutes of airtime a week seemed like a strange career choice to me.  So all the best to the actor.  And to the character, Sean Roman...your alternate reality storyline(s) that existed in my head were really good.  

• Love 5

Late to the party but here goes. The acting throughout was superb. I appreciate Voight being a terrible cop and a fascinating character (I just had to accept some of retcon from Chicago Fire at the very beginning) and I don't think we're supposed to see him as a hero. I know other shows where police brutality is hand-waved away as hilariously creative interrogation techniques and team members even get away with stone-cold murder *coughH50cough* Nobody on this show ever pretends that what Voight does is okay - all team members were shocked about the gase-stove thing. They go along because he usually gets results and because they owe and respect him - but not because they admire his methods (not even Lindsey). It's a constant source of conflict on the show and keeps everyone on their toes.

• Love 4
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎26 at 8:08 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Bye Roman--don't let the door hit you on the way out.... Can't say I'll  miss you. Maybe you can be a bailiff on Justice.

I just wish he could have taken Burgess with him. Everytime she shows up the show seems like it becomes Chicago High School.

Also I have never really gotten the logic behind the whole "dig your own grave" trope". It seems like the threat is, "dig this grave or I will shoot you" but if you finish digging the grave you are going to get shot anyways, so why bother digging? You are just making it easier for your murderer.

• Love 3
On 1.6.2016 at 3:04 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also I have never really gotten the logic behind the whole "dig your own grave" trope". It seems like the threat is, "dig this grave or I will shoot you" but if you finish digging the grave you are going to get shot anyways, so why bother digging? You are just making it easier for your murderer.

It gives the villain time for an over-long villain speech, getting so enthralled by his own awesomeness that he drops his guard so that the hero can whack with him with the shovel. Of course if the villain is the lead-character of the show you can forget about that.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

It is to add terror. Making you walk the green mile knowing that you will die soon rather then just killing you by suprise.

• Love 1

I think Kel Varnsen means, why would the murderee go along with it?  You as the target of the murder aren't getting anything out of it.  And I think the answer is that people are so desperate to cling to life that they will even dig their own grave to get that bit more time.  Plus, if they know they are in a movie/TV show they know to delay in hopes of rescue!

• Love 2

Exactly, from a writer's point of view i get it. From a digger's point of view it doesn't make much sense, since dig or don't dig yields the same outcome. The only other option is charge the guy using the shovel as a weapon and hope to catch him off guard.

Also curios if there have been any recorded instances of actual criminals doing this, or if it  is just a tv/movie thing.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Exactly, from a writer's point of view i get it. From a digger's point of view it doesn't make much sense, since dig or don't dig yields the same outcome. The only other option is charge the guy using the shovel as a weapon and hope to catch him off guard.

Also curios if there have been any recorded instances of actual criminals doing this, or if it  is just a tv/movie thing.

There were some reports during WWII that the Nazis police battalions did it before the SS death camps were operating