Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12 Spoilers, Speculation and Anticipation

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, normasm said:

It's undoubtedly Morgan. 

it would be in CM's best interests, indeed, to have Shemar Moore guest star. But in that case, I would think they'd be better off shouting it loud and often in advance, rather than keeping it a secret, because they'd want all his BabyGirls to watch it.

• Love 5

Two questions come to mind for me at the moment. When all of this is finally revealed.(1) Am I going to find myself wishing that the show had just continued to ignore Reid for the most part ? (2) Will Reid and the team(newbies excluded) be taken even further away from the concept that was originally envisioned for them?

Edited by MMC
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Franky said:

It's probably Morgan, but I'd really like to entertain the idea that it might be Elle. Love her.

Would love it if Elle came back considering some of us are quite Spellebound.

But most likely they'll bring back Morgan. The Baby Girls will be thrilled. My Morgan loving friend will be "heels up in dirty."

• Love 3
21 hours ago, MMC said:

Saw a comment on the CM FB page claiming that there was only going to be 18 episodes this season. So I asked this person just where exactly did she hear this because as far as I knew they were doing 22 the same as last year.

Harry tweeted a picture for scouting of episode 19 titled True North.  It's written by Bruce Zimmerman and directed by Joe.

that same article, after she so carefully didn't wanna say who was returning in several others, out and out mentions that they're bringing Mr Scratch back.

It also, however, set my mind a little at ease with regards to what's happening with Reid. Or maybe that's just me mis-misinterpretting what Messer said.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

How wrong is it that Matthew isn't in this group shot!

http://www.tvinsider.com/114337/criminal-minds-jane-lynch-mr-scratch/

He isn't around very much lately...

Good Lord, that award seems sooo fixed.

I only wanted some continuity on Hotch's trauma after Mr. Scrach but this is like that Chinese curse "may you get what you wish for". Some days I am glad I am not watching anymore.

"We're sort of debating that. It feels like it could go either way, but I'm thinking if we get a Season 13 with 23 episodes, then that's episode 300. Maybe we keep Mr. Scratch around for a while."

I would have liked seeing Ed Asner and TG again, that's the part where I am not glad about how things are now.

My best wishes for MGG and Jane Lynch's arc.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3

Serious eye rolls if they don't wrap up the Mr. Scratch storyline this season (regardless of the future of the show). This has dragged on long enough and is now tedious and even more ridiculous. I can deal with ridiculous for one episode, but a series of them? Nope. 

• Love 4

The physical PCAward just arrived on set a few days ago, and it coincided with Matthew being in Sundance.

There's one person in particular (she's not a member here, to my knowledge), who is pathologically livid that Thomas is no longer on the show, and she takes every opportunity on every platform to cast doubt and wreak havoc with the fandom regarding the future of the show. She's been screeching from the rooftops that MGG has left CM (in order to get Matthew fans to join her crusade against the show), and this photo just fed her obsession. She's wrong, but won't ever admit it. Matthew is not leaving. At least not this season. 

Sometimes I wonder if marketing at CBS has Matthew stay OUT of photos deliberately, just to keep her and her ilk screaming about the show. Like she's unwittingly promoting it with her propaganda. No publicity is bad publicity?

• Love 1

If any of you listen to the Real Crime Profile podcast with Jim Clemente and Lisa Zambetti (sp?), at one point they talked about Mr. Scratch in his early days and actually had planned a huge arc with him royally screwing with Hotch's mind every which way but Tuesday.  They talked about potentially breaking up the team by destroying Hotch, so they did have a plan to use Mr. Scratch a great deal, and maybe the guy had already signed on for so many episodes or something.  This podcast was done just when they found out CM had been renewed for season 12, and clearly before TG was fired.  So I kinda give them a pass on overusing the actor a bit.  I do feel sorry for the kid who played Jack, as I can't see him getting a lot of other work.  

• Love 2

Hmmm. That means it could be they'll be "royally screwing" with Reid's mind. Not happy with that. I imagined Reid helping stabilize Hotch, but they didn't even imply that in the original episode. Unless they find a way for Reid to fight his way out of the screwage, maybe with a little help from Morgan, who knows the most besides Hotch about Reid's mental issues and fears, I'm scared for this to be the route they'll try to take.

• Love 2

At work hiding in the break room trying to scarf some lunch after having bought a Coke entirely with nickels. I never look at these promos when I'm being sneaky but Norm's comment compelled me. 

What on earth?!  Ohmigosh ohmigosh. 

And I see they've manufactured another relative:  Uncle Gordon. Gotta love a little retcon. 

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Droogie said:

At work hiding in the break room trying to scarf some lunch after having bought a Coke entirely with nickels. I never look at these promos when I'm being sneaky but Norm's comment compelled me. 

What on earth?!  Ohmigosh ohmigosh. 

And I see they've manufactured another relative:  Uncle Gordon. Gotta love a little retcon. 

Where in the hell where these so called relatives back in the days when the Sperm Donor first abandon Diana and her 10 year old son.

• Love 4

maybe Uncle Gordon is the husband of whoever the aunt was that said his hair was too long back in...was it Zuzgwang or The Lesson?

Is he in Mexico to get black market drugs for Mom? (I wondered cause the drugs he was working with in that scene--aside, did anyone else laugh like I did at the state of the messed up sock drawer?--didn't appear to be in a 'scripted medicine bottle) If so, this whole Reid-in-prison thing makes me wonder. Who's looking after Mom when that happens? I wonder if he's realised he just can't look after her on his own and continue to work for the BAU.. so, does she end up in a new institution? or does he get home help? or-- and I don't like this option at all-- does he leave work to care for her full time himself? 

*sits besides OleDoggie on the dread sled*

• Love 3

I'm hoping we get a sensible arc for Reid - most of my feeling of dread is that the more I read, the more it sounds like bad fanfiction again. I surely hope my dread is ill founded. So hard not to be a Negative Nancy these days!

• Love 4

I had banished myself from this thread!! It makes me  nervous, I don't want to know so much before I actually see the episode!!

But I keep coming back, and then I get annoyed  at myself!! 

Come on, get out of here!!

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, normasm said:

There's something so disturbing about him calling her Mother.

I imagine it's a little bit of the sternness/frustration thing coming out?

Sorta like, when one was a little child, ma would call 'Lizzie!' (for example) and, if one didn't come immediately, ma would continue "Lizzie" and then "Elizabeth!" and finally "Elizabeth Ann Marie!!!" kinda thing.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I imagine it's a little bit of the sternness/frustration thing coming out?

Sorta like, when one was a little child, ma would call 'Lizzie!' (for example) and, if one didn't come immediately, ma would continue "Lizzie" and then "Elizabeth!" and finally "Elizabeth Ann Marie!!!" kinda thing.

Exactly. That's what I thought too.

• Love 1

My mother insisted on being called Mother. She hated any other name for her role. But, we've never heard Reid address her as Mother, only Mom. "Mother", in his mouth sounds like the edge of panic.

• Love 5

I called my own mother mommy when I was a child and now I call her mom. I only call her mother when I'm being sassy.

I am riddled with anxiety over this Spencer-related arc, which in the current state of the world is small potatoes. I need to tell myself, "Bookish Jen, calm down. You have more important things to concern yourself with!"

• Love 1

I won't be watching tonight - I'm much more excited about X Company. Not sure if I'll come here first to see if the episode is worth watching, or if I'll just dive in blind, but the more information I get about upcoming episodes, the less I want to watch them.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

I called my own mother mommy when I was a child and now I call her mom. I only call her mother when I'm being sassy.

I am riddled with anxiety over this Spencer-related arc, which in the current state of the world is small potatoes. I need to tell myself, "Bookish Jen, calm down. You have more important things to concern yourself with!"

Sometimes it's nice to have a distraction. Even a stressful one.

• Love 1

Loved it! I have not been this excited for an episode since Entropy first aired which was the last time I had been pretty much glued to my set until tonight that is. The chemistry between Jane and Matthew is definitely still there. Bonus point goes for Reid coming up with the key that broke the case wide open. Were there some discrepancies? Yes probably. But at the moment I really don't care.

• Love 6

I'm a dittohead MMC.....loved the Diana/Spencer personal story in this one. Jane Lynch and Matthew Gray Gubler, just effin' knockin' it out of the park. Didn't care too much for the case, but that's okay, I'm pretty sure even the writers and producers knew we weren't gonna care much about the case. Diana and Spencer in da house!

there's a trend.... MGG disappears for a couple episodes, and comes roaring back in the best episode of the season. Last year, Entropy. This year, Surface Tension.

and yeah, love how the case actually had to do with surface tension, and the obvious tension between Diana and Spencer. And the tension between us and the world, waiting for this episode!

• Love 7

Guess I will quickly comment here since the other thread isn't open yet.  The season is back on track after that minor stumble with the last episode.  I enjoyed both story lines from start to finish.  The case was interesting.  Matthew and Jane did a great job.  I feel for Reid because I'm dealing with my own version now.  Looking forward to next week.

• Love 3

I'll slot this here until the episode thread opens.

A ho-hum case and another example as to why Reid should have his own show.

I don't think there's really any argument at this stage- the way Matthew Gray Gubler acts, with all his nuances and the depth he brings to Spencer Reid...it's really a joy to behold.

Tonight it really worked, because for once Gubler had someone equal to the task to play off of in Jane Lynch, with their chemistry really elevating the material.

In fact, I would probably use clips of Gubler and Lynch together for educational purposes, because it shows precisely what you want as a casting director- two actors whose interactions are so organic and natural it's like they really do know each other for their whole lives.

When two actors click, you're just drawn right in, and I was drawn to Gubler and Lynch.

Of course, Gubler did well on his own, bringing out the pain and despair Diana Reid's deteoriating condition is having on poor Spencer Reid. It's said that Gubler really brings out the "human" in Spencer and it was on full display tonight, because what was happening to Diana is a textbook scenario for the kinds of problems Spencer would have.

See, Spencer's always the kind of guy who has an answer for everything, the one who knows his knowledge base eventually allows him to figure out the magic pills or words or action that allows him to solve whatever problem he's facing.

Yet with Diana, there just is no solution, no magic formula that Spencer can concoct to make her better. In the back of his mind, Spencer knows there is no way out, but he's too stubborn to believe it.

His mind conflicts, because he always knows that whatever issues he's had he solves it...but why can't he solve this one? Why is Diana's issue so impossible to solve?

On a better written show- in Spencer Reid's own show- this would be a wonderful topic to explore in depth.

Alas, it's occurring on Criminal Minds where the writing has no depth and brushes aside stories like they're nothing. I hope we'll get something good for Spencer Reid, but, given the venue, I know I'll be disappointed.

As for the case...I really couldn't get excited about it. Yeah, it was a novel topic- a killer using sinkholes as a site of personal interest- and it was great that Ophiuchus ("The Serpent Holder"), the oft-forgotten 13th sign of the Zodiac, getting some love.

Despite that, I just wasn't gripped. The acting made it feel like everyone was just going through the motions. Even though we saw the UnSub, we didn't see a lot of action- we just had a lot of description about what he was doing.

Plus, there were no twists or turns that really challenged everything we knew about the case...it was all, really, a "paint by the numbers" boring slog.

Episode Grade: C+. Gets good marks for how great the Reid story was, but loses a lot because the main case was a bore.

• Love 6

Just got through the episode - maybe I was still too distracted from the stellar and gut-wrenching episode of X Company (I highly recommend this show!) but I just couldn't get into CM tonight. The case was not at all intriguing and I didn't really follow what was going on - mostly because I didn't care. Prentiss seemed oddly stressed out, but I couldn't tell why.

As for the stuff with Reid and his mom, I also had a hard time getting invested in that. I think MGG did a good job, but it just wasn't working for me - maybe that was more on Jane Lynch's side? I usually really like her work, though. I went through a lot of the same issues portrayed in this episode - when my grandmother lived with us, I remember staying home from school to look after her. She was convinced the aide worker who came to the house was trying to hurt her. She would give me things and then accuse me of stealing them. She would have conversations with people on TV. I'll never forget the first time I realized she didn't know who I was. There were some violent altercations not unlike the one between Reid and Diana. And yet, something about those scenes just didn't ring true for me. I am mildly curious about what drug Reid is giving her, though.

Even the song at the end was only mildly moving for me. If the show is renewed for another season (which I feel is reasonably likely at this point), I will only be watching out of habit, if at all.

Regarding the episode specific thread, I know on some other forums here they will set a timer for the thread to auto-unlock at a specific time. Could we consider doing something like that here?