Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12 Spoilers, Speculation and Anticipation

• Start Topic

Since Criminal Minds has been confirmed for a 12th season, it's time to get the ball rolling on this.

The 12th season promises to begin in a situation that is somewhat unique for the series. Although we've had cliffhangers before, all of them have been the second part of a two-part episode. The one, however, that ended the 11th season- the news that multiple serial killers have escaped multiple prisons for a greater scheme led by "Mr. Scratch" himself, Peter Lewis- has the potential to be more than than just a single case- this could play out over an entire season.

That's not the only thing the team must contend with for Season 12. After the departure of Derek Morgan, the team is down to four full-time field agents (Hotch, Reid, JJ and Rossi) plus its Tech Analyst (Garcia) and (as of right now) a part-time field agent in Tara Lewis. Furthermore, the team's prestige has taken a bit of hit after Mr. Scratch got the Department of Justice to arrest Hotch, forcing our Unit Chief to have to answer some very difficult questions, so not only is the team facing a manpower shortage, they're facing departmental scrutiny for their "rogue" actions, just like the BAU did in Season 2 and for "It Takes A Village".

For me, it seems like it could be a great foundation to provide a full season of riveting stories. For once, it actually feels like the show has a wider storywriting focus, meaning we truly could be in for a more "serial" Season 12 than what we're used to, hopefully one that is far more organized than The Replicator's storyline was. If this is done right, it could promise to widen the CM world and require other facets of U.S. federal law enforcement, because containing multiple breaks and stopping multiple terrorist attacks should require more manpower than just the BAU. Furthermore, a serial killer breakout gives me the hope that maybe- finally- the show will acknowledge some of its previous UnSubs, giving us longtime viewers the callbacks that we've been looking for.

Of course, the complicating factor within this excitement for Season 12 is the caveat "if it's done right". We've all had our reservations about the abilities of the CM writing staff, and the capability of Erica Messer pulling off this great of a storyline is certainly questionable. This isn't the first time she's promised "season-long stories" and failed to really deliver- The Replicator really could have been a simple two-parter, Meg Callahan's folly was really only wrapped up in a single episode, and...well, whatever that business was with Chaz Montolo and Morgan. So it's reasonable to have a healthy dose of skepticism about whether or not CM can actually pull off the storyline it promises to do.

Still, I think there's enough ingredients to make this season one to remember, and my hope is that, since the storyline has been set up at the end of "The Storm", the writing team is a bit better committed to it than it was the last few times it tried a "grander" narrative.

That wraps up my intro. Before I do get, definitively, to the end, I think a few questions are in order:

1) Is this CM's final season? Should it be?

2) Should the show replace Morgan or leave the team the way it is?

3) Which old serial killers/criminals from seasons past would you most like to see again?

4) Which former government agents/organizations would you like to see help the BAU solve the prison break story?

5) Should the show attempt a crossover or two?

6) Any other comments/speculation/remarks of note for Season 12 you'd like to make?

In addition to this, we can add the obligatory spoilers, casting news and other Season 12-related news items that will come across between now and May 2017.

Away we go.

• Love 1

Well Daniel my hope is that come next season EM would be moved completely over to the spin off and have nothing more to do with the mothership. I think that in itself should bring some improvement where the show is concerned. Unfortunately with CM:BB's latest ratings it's renewal looks slim at best. I am not saying it can't happen. I am just saying it isn't looking too good for them at the moment. And if CBS did ever have any sort of idea about this Spin off one day replacing the original I'd say that idea has been shelved permanently.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I'll just comment on this for now.

Criminal Minds, to me, isn't that type of show. To me, crossovers usually are...goofy? The tone is different to a normal episode. It throws me off.

However, if CM had a crossover episode, what should they do it with? Honestly, rather than have a "normal" crossover episode, I would like to see CM crossedover with a franchise like Silent Hill and say that it is not canon. I think something like this would let them explore their characters deeper (it's been missing from recent episodes, we feel) and by making it "non-canon" and just a one-off thing, that 'goofy' feeling I get when shows cross over wouldn't happen.

Of course, my idea would never happen in reality, because Konami that owns SH is terrible and petty, so I guess I'll just write a fanfiction about it instead.

Well Daniel my hope is that come next season EM would be moved completely over to the spin off and have nothing more to do with the mothership

This is honestly my hope too. I want CMBB to get renewed so EM moves. Not so it gets more episodes.

Also, even though Grandfathered got cancelled, I don't think fans should ask Paget Brewster to come back to CM in social media. She wanted to leave back then, and badmouthed the company. It seems final that they will not hire her lognterm again. Just seems rude to me. Time to drink some vodka and cry about Grandfathered.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

3) Which old serial killers/criminals from seasons past would you most like to see again?

4) Which former government agents/organizations would you like to see help the BAU solve the prison break story?

6) Any other comments/speculation/remarks of note for Season 12 you'd like to make?

In addition to this, we can add the obligatory spoilers, casting news and other Season 12-related news items that will come across between now and May 2017.

Away we go.

1) It should be the last season, IMO. If the storylines/writing had been consistently good over the past 4 or 5 years, I might feel differently. By the same token, if I didn't feel the restlessness of people like Thomas Gibson and Matthew Gray Gubler to be onto other projects, I might be happy they were available for me to enjoy on my TV on a weekly basis for my selfish desire to see them. But I'm starting to think TG at least will want to take a powder after 12, inspired by Shemar's departure, and even better equipped to make a good transition. I think MGG is ready, too.

2) Leave the team the way it is, bringing Tara on full time. Have Emily come back for an episode, Morgan for maybe 2-parter, and have them replace the stunt casting for costars at least for those episodes.

3) Personally, I hope we come back from break hearing that all the escaped killers have been caught but Mr. Scratch. Then, in the middle of the season, in an episode written by Breen and directed by MGG, we have his capture, or at least his feature. I agree with Forever Alone that recapturing people whose psychopathy we have already explored, even with the best writing could get boring fast, and it's lazy conceptualizing at the very least.

4) I don't care who gets the credit for recapturing the killers, because, as I said, I hope it's accomplished offscreen for the most part, before the season starts.

5) No. Just No. 

6) Please let us concentrate on what it takes for these people, the profilers, to figure out the mystery of why the killers do what they do, and what it takes for them to capture them. Less going in with guns drawn in front of the SWAT team, less badassery. And please, although we do want to see some personal stories, we want to see the team mostly in the context of The Job: dealing with the impact it has on their lives and loved ones without showing too much of those personal lives and loved ones. Please retire the Rossi storyline (elderly lover and grandpa), and, if you can't involve Reid in something that promises a possible happy relationship, at least don't let him suffer another major loss. Enough already.

Oh, and, what's wrong with Tara just wearing her real hair? Hmmm?

• Love 4

Yes, to everything you said, Normasm.  If they do bring Morgan or Emily back, however, I hope it is not at the cost of focus on our remaining team members.

Of the escaped serial killers, the one I think would be most interesting would be the Fox, because I think he profiles the team at least as well as the team profiles him, is capable of adapting his approach accordingly, and would make a very worthy cat-and-mouse opponent.  

For me, the real interest of Mr. Scratch is what he's already done to Hotch, and the fact (in my mind, anyway) that Hotch hasn't actually acknowledged it to anyone.  We don't need the character to come back for that to play out.  Hotch can flash back after a team member has been in mortal danger.  If this is truly to be the final season, it could be the factor that causes him to accept that promotion up the ladder, and away from the front lines.

Mostly, I just really, really, really want to see grown-up Reid. Every week.  Written consistently. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, JMO said:

Mostly, I just really, really, really want to see grown-up Reid. Every week.  Written consistently. 

This! One of the things that irritates me most about reading fanfiction is that the majority of writers insist on continuing to portray Reid as he was a decade ago. This irritation is amplified exponentially when so-called professional writers on the show do the same thing, We have seen grown up Reid recently - I just hope there is no backsliding from the writers in S12.

• Love 6

I'm working from my iPad which I'm not used to web surfing on so my reply here will be somewhat disjointed because I already don't remember what numbers were which questions anymore so:

NO!!!!!  Under no circumstances do I ever want to see a crossover. Abso-effing-lutely not.

I'd prefer they not replace Morgan with another full timer.  Cast screen time is stretched too thin in favour of guest stars and unsubs as it is.

Ive already listed unsubs I'd like to see again in another message .....

and finally, I want them to give Reid the happy ending he deserves after being crapped on for eleven years, and then I want Matthew to leave the show and go on to other things where his talents would be made better use of...even if CM continues ( although being as loyal as he is, he won't quit)

• Love 4

My frustration about the idea of MGG moving on is  two-fold.  Firstly, I love Spencer Reid, and will sorely miss him.  And, secondly, when MGG moves on, I would like it to be toward other things that I would enjoy seeing him do.  But he and I don't have the same taste, and he keeps making movies I don't like.  So I'll hold on to Spencer for as long as he will let me.

• Love 5

Lol.  I hear you. Although I did like suburban gothic..there wasn't enough of him in LaB, 500 Days or band of robbers though :(

Hmmmm.  If messer wants a successful CM spinoff how about 'Criminal Minds: The Genius Cases?" ?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Old Dog said:

5 HOURS AGO,  JMO SAID: 

! One of the things that irritates me most about reading fanfiction is that the majority of writers insist on continuing to portray Reid as he was a decade ago. This irritation is amplified exponentially when so-called professional writers on the show do the same thing, We have seen grown up Reid recently - I just hope there is no backsliding from the writers in S12.

But he can still be virgin Spence?

So soon he'll be a 40 year old virgin? I think that as a clever man in his mid 30's with all his knowledge of the human condition he has probably done the deed!

• Love 1
(edited)

Please OlDoggy..... He's 34 max on the show O:-). He quite obviously hadn't yet during the Zugzwang arc.  And we've seen no ongoing relationship since then

Edited by ReidFan
Hit send before done post
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:50 PM, ReidFan said:

Please OlDoggy..... He's 34 max on the show O:-). He quite obviously hadn't yet during the Zugzwang arc.  And we've seen no ongoing relationship since then

Well, I'm willing to take one for the team.

All my fellow Reid-ettes, "Get in line."

Then of course, I'm still convinced Elle got betwixt his legs and relieved Spencer of his he-hymen. And our lovely CoStar proved this in her finely crafted fan fic, and I am ever thankful. Great (and lusty minds) think alike.

Anyway, on-topic:
If I took over this little pop stand called "Criminal Minds," I would get back to the core dynamic of actual profiling and less of the brutality, bullets and brawn. Emily v 1.0 would be brought back to profile along Reid, Rossi and Hotch. JJ would go back to original role as liaison. Tara will be used only intermittently. And if Garcia doesn't get dialed back several notches then she can just fall into a volcano and CM can bring in a new tech analyst, perhaps played by an Asian actor. I choose John Cho because I think he is very handsome, and I can always use more handsome gentlemen in my life.

But I am more likely to become the next Green Bay Packers' QB than this little fantasy of mine coming to reality. At this point, I'd be happy with less soapy elements like Rossi's ridiculous saccharine story line. It's giving me diabetes, or as Wilfred Brimely puts it, "Diabeetus."

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, normasm said:

Booky, so much goodness in your post!

Thank you so much. And I can't even begin to tell you how your lovely comment has made my day, after a very hard past few weeks.

• Love 1

It is never going to happen, Booky, but if they could get John Cho, even for one episode, even as an Unsub, I would be so ridiculously happy.

Criminal Minds, starring John Cho. Yes.

MGG and John Cho, together on one screen. Mind, blown.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I'm still convinced Elle got betwixt his legs and

I couldn't breathe or swallow after I read this...  What did you say???

Edited by Droogie
Coz
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Droogie said:

I couldn't breathe or swallow after I read this...  What did you say???

What could you possibly be implying? (blushes demurely and with pure, untapped innocence).

).

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:57 AM, ReidFan said:

Don't think Elle could either

Ah, Elle. Derailed and impaled.

Or so I heard... it's not like I'm a slatternly, slurping, strumpet.

Or as our resident BAU manwhore, David Rossi might claim:

"The unsub is a slatternly, slurping, strumpet."

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

season twelve confirmation from Harry: Matthew, Thomas and Joe are all slated to direct at least one episode of season twelve :)

Seriously Joe again WTF. I am sorry but he just does not have the talent for directing the way Matthew and Thomas do.But I guess CBS just cannot say no to him. The same way they couldn't say no to him regarding some of the story lines for his character Rossi. Which in my opinion helped to make Rossi a lot less interesting character than he use to be.

• Love 8

I think it's probably part of the 'keep the star of the show happy' thing. Don't get me wrong, I like Rossi, I adore Joe...but I think he could retire/be replaced and it wouldn't impact the show as much as someone else's departure would. He *is* their name star......(not in my eyes, but....)

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I think it's probably part of the 'keep the star of the show happy' thing. Don't get me wrong, I like Rossi, I adore Joe...but I think he could retire/be replaced and it wouldn't impact the show as much as someone else's departure would. He *is* their name star......(not in my eyes, but....)

I so agree. He seems like a great guy, and he's been very good in some of his films. I loved Rossi early on, but between the fact that he often disappears in the episodes and doesn't have much to contribute when he's there, added to the fact that I'm not a fan of his recent personal story lines, I would not care if he disappeared permanently. And no way should he do any more directing. He's awful at it. 

• Love 4

Agree, agree, agree.  I'd love to hang out with Joe.  Check out "The Money Pit."  He's awesome in it. I'll bet he is the sweetest guy.  And I loved early Rossi. I was a little freaked when Mandy jumped ship but JM's Rossi won me over initially.  There is fan fiction out there that captures that S3 Rossi beautifully.  I miss that guy.

But for the LOVE, Joe, stay in front of the camera doing... well, whatever it is exactly that you're doing now.  Because that is infinitely better than what happens when you direct.  Sad but true.

Matthew asked Ed if he could direct an episode way back when, and Ed said ok.  Then Thomas followed suit.  I can buy that.  But I'm sure that Joe was simply not to be outdone and threw his hat into the directorial ring.  Thankfully we were spared Shemar's efforts in that regard.  Love the guy; I just think he'd be on par with Joe (but with lots of shirtless close ups of Morgan in soft focus). Happy that Kirsten is content with writing for now, although maybe she'd do a good job directing; who knows?  Her writing surprised me, pleasantly.  AJ said very early on that she had no interest in directing, and now, more recently, she said she'd love to.  Oy!  Can't there be a moratorium on any more cast members getting behind the camera?  I vote yes!  Because what are the criteria to get a shot at it?  "I took a picture once."  Gosh, in that case, sign me up as well.

• Love 5

Well, apparently, Droogs, the criteria for being an episode writer is, Hey, I've been hanging out here for 2 years, doing a lousy job of researching pathologies of the mind. I'm ready for the big leagues!

• Love 4

it's funny, because whoever was in charge of choosing directors for the Star Trek tv series (TNG, DS9 and Voyager, anyway, and I believe it was Rick Berman after Gene Roddenberry died) absolutely would not let the actors direct just because they were actors on the show. If they showed an interest, he accommodated them with time required to go through the in house director apprenticeship/tutorial/course/whatever you wanna call it. A few balked at the idea, and never ended up being given directorial assignments. A few took the course and directed one or a few episodes and decided that was that, more suited to acting. And a few went through and became fantastic directors, innovative, inspired and in some cases, went on to direct other shows. Most notably as I recall, LeVar Burton though i can't for the life of me tell you what else besides other Trek he's directed. And then there's their real success story, Robert Duncan McNeill, who turned a guest spot on TNG into a full time character on Voyager, and ended up directing several episodes of Voyager before moving on to other shows and eventually becoming not only the key director, but an executive producer of "Chuck". (i LOVED that show....)  

Matthew was schooled as a director, not an actor. He has the educational credentials to direct circles around all the other directors on the show. I see it happening for him in the future too, if he decides to give up being on camera (waaaah!!!!) he'll be even more awesome behind it than RDM was/is.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, MMC said:

Seriously Joe again WTF. I am sorry but he just does not have the talent for directing the way Matthew and Thomas do.But I guess CBS just cannot say no to him. The same way they couldn't say no to him regarding some of the story lines for his character Rossi. Which in my opinion helped to make Rossi a lot less interesting character than he use to be.

I like Joe, and I greatly admire his work on behalf of Veterans. However, his directing style leaves much to be desired. He's way too self-serving and preachy.

But Matthew and Thomas directing? This is my reaction.

redhead_smiling_greeting_card-r22de774c4

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Droogie said:

Agree, agree, agree.  I'd love to hang out with Joe.  Check out "The Money Pit."  He's awesome in it. I'll bet he is the sweetest guy.  And I loved early Rossi. I was a little freaked when Mandy jumped ship but JM's Rossi won me over initially.  There is fan fiction out there that captures that S3 Rossi beautifully.  I miss that guy.

But for the LOVE, Joe, stay in front of the camera doing... well, whatever it is exactly that you're doing now.  Because that is infinitely better than what happens when you direct.  Sad but true.

Matthew asked Ed if he could direct an episode way back when, and Ed said ok.  Then Thomas followed suit.  I can buy that.  But I'm sure that Joe was simply not to be outdone and threw his hat into the directorial ring.  Thankfully we were spared Shemar's efforts in that regard.  Love the guy; I just think he'd be on par with Joe (but with lots of shirtless close ups of Morgan in soft focus). Happy that Kirsten is content with writing for now, although maybe she'd do a good job directing; who knows?  Her writing surprised me, pleasantly.  AJ said very early on that she had no interest in directing, and now, more recently, she said she'd love to.  Oy!  Can't there be a moratorium on any more cast members getting behind the camera?  I vote yes!  Because what are the criteria to get a shot at it?  "I took a picture once."  Gosh, in that case, sign me up as well.

Though Garcia works my last nerve as of lately, I do like Kirsten a lot, and she is a talented writer who has written some great scripts for CM (she managed to reign in Messer which means she should be given the Medal of Freedom bestowed by President Obama). And perhaps she can direct. Who knows?

Anyway, I can imagine Kirsten being quite pleased with your lovely remarks. Here is her (my imagined) reaction.

large.gif

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:

I like Joe, and I greatly admire his work on behalf of Veterans. However, his directing style leaves much to be desired. He's way too self-serving and preachy.

But Matthew and Thomas directing? This is my reaction.

redhead_smiling_greeting_card-r22de774c4

Speaking of that,what did you guys think of the fact that JM opted to put himself in those scenes that were originally meant for AJC,but who was unable to do them from having been sick while the episode was being filmed?In fairness to Joe maybe at the time he had no other options. But if the same situation had come up when either Matthew or Thomas had been directing,do you think they'd have done what Joe did, or do you think they would have done things a bit differently?

• Love 1

if it were Matthew, those lines woulda been given to Shemar or Joe asap (He's actually said he hates when Reid is pretty central in an episode he's directing because then he can't watch as it's being filmed and could cause more takes needing to be done cause he doesn't see an issue until after the fact.) 

Pretty sure Thomas would rather give the lines to Matthew or Shemar or Joe too. He was pretty heavily featured in Boxed In that he directed and I don't think that one was as well done as the Hotch-lite Lockdown was.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, MMC said:

Speaking of that,what did you guys think of the fact that JM opted to put himself in those scenes that were originally meant for AJC,but who was unable to do them from having been sick while the episode was being filmed?In fairness to Joe maybe at the time he had no other options. But if the same situation had come up when either Matthew or Thomas had been directing,do you think they'd have done what Joe did, or do you think they would have done things a bit differently?

Do you remember which scenes Joe took over AJ's line when she was ill? I have to think about it, and it would help if I knew of the specific scenes.

21 hours ago, ReidFan said:

if it were Matthew, those lines woulda been given to Shemar or Joe asap (He's actually said he hates when Reid is pretty central in an episode he's directing because then he can't watch as it's being filmed and could cause more takes needing to be done cause he doesn't see an issue until after the fact.) 

Pretty sure Thomas would rather give the lines to Matthew or Shemar or Joe too. He was pretty heavily featured in Boxed In that he directed and I don't think that one was as well done as the Hotch-lite Lockdown was.

I've often wondered how difficult it is for a director to do double duty not only directing a TV episode (or movie) while also acting in it. Probably a lot to put on one's plate. So I'm not surprised Matthew would give some of his lines to his co-stars. He doesn't want to "half-ass" both his directing and his acting.

And we are better off for it.

FYP: ION is showing "Mr. Scratch" at 8:00pm Eastern, 7:00pm Central this Friday. I know I will be counting the seconds until 7:00pm this Friday evening.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

Do you remember which scenes Joe took over AJ's line when she was ill? I have to think about it, and it would help if I knew of the specific scenes.

TBH I did not even watch it. I remembered that it was Joe himself who revealed that AJ had been sick and that she couldn't do all of her scenes so he stepped in.But I don't remember whether or not he sited any particular scenes.

With probably only hours to think about it, Joe probably did AJ's lines because he knew the dialog (he had to to direct it) and how he wanted to block it, so he didn't have to tell someone else what he wanted, etc. It sounds less like an ego thing than a practicality thing, IMO. And it was a small scene, few lines.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, normasm said:

With probably only hours to think about it, Joe probably did AJ's lines because he knew the dialog (he had to to direct it) and how he wanted to block it, so he didn't have to tell someone else what he wanted, etc. It sounds less like an ego thing than a practicality thing, IMO. And it was a small scene, few lines.

That makes total sense to me now that you bought it up.

• Love 1

I suppose this is the right thread for this:

What are some things y'alll would like to see for S12?

- I would like to see more profiling, less magic computer, less illogical leaps "We know who done it"

-For the team to stay the same. They DON'T need another person, they have a hard time focusing on the team as it is.

- No super ninja, perfect profilers.

-Please, please drop the recent Rossi arc. I don't begrudge him of a arc, but this one is ridiculous

-Solve the mystery of Hotch's past (abused or not)

-For the writers to continue to write Reid as the man he is-not the boy he was in S1, and not to ridicule him

-Each profiler have centric episodes/arcs

-Something HAPPY happens to Reid, enough of sad things

-If they Prentiss back for an episode, have it make sense and be interesting

-I'd love to see Jane Lynch again.

-Reid seen driving the SUV  (silly, I know)

• Love 6

Season 12 wants:

1. For the love of <whatever> NO more recasts. They are FINE with their current numbers. I don't want the precious little time we have to see their off work lives wasted this season on Yet Another Recast. Get over it, five + Tara when available/necessary is enough.

2. A successful, happy, loving relationship for Reid. One that doesn't end after one episode or with a crazed stalker killing her off.

3. End the current Rossi arc (let her realise that he's always gonna be married to his job first and fade away) and give him a different one. I'm thinking one related to one of his books perhaps.

4. Keep Erica Messer away as much as possible! 

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:15 AM, normasm said:

Well, apparently, Droogs, the criteria for being an episode writer is, Hey, I've been hanging out here for 2 years, doing a lousy job of researching pathologies of the mind. I'm ready for the big leagues!

FYI-Bring has yet to answer my question whether CM allows untested assistants and researchers write scripts.

• Love 1

Speaking of tweeting, I was just noticing that neither Erica Messer nor the CM_Set Report couldn't even be bothered to congratulate the Mothership on getting a 12th season. They did however tweeted congratulations to that stupid spin off for getting a 2nd season.Now if they did congratulate the Mothership I certainly can't find it anywhere.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, MMC said:

Speaking of tweeting, I was just noticing that neither Erica Messer nor the CM_Set Report couldn't even be bothered to congratulate the Mothership on getting a 12th season. They did however tweeted congratulations to that stupid spin off for getting a 2nd season.Now if they did congratulate the Mothership I certainly can't find it anywhere.

Furthermore, I'm constantly seeing commercials for Beyond Barfing, but rarely for the Mothership, even when the season hasn't ended. Am I imagining this or is CBS gaslighting me?

And it looks like CM: BB is Erica's new baby and CM: Original Recipe is yesterday's news. Ugh.

Just a quick question. Does anybody know Erica's background? I know she's written for other shows, but I haven't read anything regarding her education, how she broke into television, other writing gigs that aren't TV related? Does she know someone in the industry?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

Furthermore, I'm constantly seeing commercials for Beyond Barfing, but rarely for the Mothership, even when the season hasn't ended. Am I imagining this or is CBS gaslighting me?

And it looks like CM: BB is Erica's new baby and CM: Original Recipe is yesterday's news. Ugh.

Just a quick question. Does anybody know Erica's background? I know she's written for other shows, but I haven't read anything regarding her education, how she broke into television, other writing gigs that aren't TV related? Does she know someone in the industry?

http://www.hollywood.com/celebrities/erica-messer-57749851/

The wonders of google! Not sure if it entirely answers your question - and no, it doesn't seem like she has done non-TV-related writing - but it does give a bit of insight.

• Love 1

For S12 I'd like to see:

1.  Virgil and Kim resign as writers and Andrew Wilder re-hired.

2.  No new characters added.

3.  That this is the last season (it's enough.  Let's have an organic rather than forced ending.)

4.  One less personal Rossi story, please.

5.  A resolution to some of the questions of Hotch's past.

6.  Reid and Hotch admit their love for one another.  Sorry!  Slipped out!  Too much fan fiction.  Carry on.

7.  Reid enter into a mature romantic relationship with endurance to stand the test of time.  

8.  The kitten ears mangled in a trash compactor.

9.  Garcia adding one of these, perhaps, to her wardrobe:

a27f.jpg

• Love 4
(edited)

The fact that CBS didn't move the show from its regular day and/or time tells me that the network probably wants it to continue.Now whether or not it plays out that way, well that is a different story.As for what I'd like, well I like to see Erica, Kim and Virgil all take a hike and have nothing more to do with the show.And then I'd love for Andrew Wilder to return as CM's show runner. And for Sharon and Breen to share the responsibility as CM's headwriter.

Edited by MMC
  • Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, secnarf said:

http://www.hollywood.com/celebrities/erica-messer-57749851/

The wonders of google! Not sure if it entirely answers your question - and no, it doesn't seem like she has done non-TV-related writing - but it does give a bit of insight.

Thanks for this link. Erica's good fortune seems to be a mix of being in the right place in the right time, making the right contacts, hard work and dumb plumb luck. Nothing wrong with any of these things; I've made use of them myself, which has led to everything from getting a freelance gig as a book reviewer for a local on-line publication (until it got bought out and the new publisher fired both the staff and the freelancers) to my teaching assistant gig with my church. Just yesterday I reached out to a jewelry designer friend to ask her if she had any other crafty/artisan/designer friends who needed someone to write copy for their websites or if she knew of any craft-related websites that need writers. She said she'd get back to me. And if I found out of any craft/artisan related boutiques either brick and mortar or on-line where she could sell her wares, I would let her know.

Back to Erica; I don't think she's a horrible person. I just don't think she serves CM very well as a show runner, but she certainly can be a producer. Also, she really shouldn't write scripts by herself, but she proves she can do quite well when she teams up with someone like Kirsten who is a very good writer. It seems Erica can only write for characters she identifies with like JJ, which is why JJ is the golden girl character, the Mary Sue of CM, and other characters get such a short shrift. Kirsten can write characters that showcase them as fully-fledged human beings, thus the great characterizations of the BAU in Nelson's Sparrow. A lot of this may have to do with Kirsten being an actress and portraying various characters. This requires empathy, which I think a majority of the cast has (especially Matthew). Writers also need to have empathy, and not just when writing scripts. I hope I bring a level of empathy to my book reviews. I don't think Erica is a monster, but empathy doesn't seem to be a big part of her make-up as a human being.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4
On 5/12/2016 at 10:52 PM, Danielg342 said:

1. It depends on the direction that they take with this season. They could easily make it to 14 or 15 if they can write well enough to keep a good audience.

2. No, don't add anyone new. That's the last thing they need.

3. Cat Allen possibly...Maybe someone that's been planning revenge for years like a relative of one of the more well known killers. 

4. I'd like a GREAT episode with Emily Prentiss and a GREAT episode with Derek Morgan near the end of the season.

5. I'm still waiting for that NCIS/Criminal Minds crossover....

6. More Team, less unsub. More of KV's writing, less of EM's. 

I know a lot of people would disagree with this, but I'd love to see Garcia kidnapped and Derek/Emily come back to help. Maybe Garcia AND Hotch kidnapped. I've always loved Hotch/Garcia moments and that would provide many.

Also more episodes like the earlier seasons. 

• Love 1