Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: Million Dollar Bet

• Start Topic

Jake Anderson attempts a treacherous short cut with only one engine. Casey and Josh perform surgery at sea. Edgar Hansen works to make his mark as a captain with his greenhorn son Eric on deck. Keith hopes to turn his season and his life around

For all of Josh's hootin' and hollerin' over his (lucky break) landing on the crab last week, he still hasn't proven he is a "Captain".  I'd like to see Josh attempt what Jake did-navigating through shallows in a channel full of rip tides with only one engine.  That requires skill and nerves of steel.  But since Josh couldn't even face Bill over his own brat behavior in the ring delivery debacle, we all know Josh has nerves made of jellyfish guts.  More & more I find myself just FF'g through any of the CM scenes.

I really like Keith and I hope he comes through his personal challenges OK.

Poor Edgar...that's got to be demoralizing to pull empty pot after empty pot.  Didn't his son go out with them last year?  The kid looks familiar but they mentioned several times it was his first trip.  I sear I've seen Eric on the NW before. 

• Love 2

^ they've showed Eric before--not crab fishing though. They've shown him helping with the summer salmon work.

this was a rather uneventful episode.

I thought the camera's were shying away for some reason when Casey was trying to pop whatever it was on the back of that guy's ear, which I thought was strange because they've shown worse. But then again, maybe they just couldn't get a good angle or they didn't want there camera to get sprayed with infection. 

Jake was being ridiculous. "IT'S NOT TURNING! IT'S NOT TURNING!!!!" Screaming about it not turning over and over again isn't going to help with the situation. 

Poor Edgar. Sig's not gonna be happy.

• Love 2

I was impressed by Jake's demeanor, actually.  HIs "she's not turning!" seemed more annoyed/aggravated than panicked. Contrast with the old guy freaking out when something went wrong when he was driving "what do I do?! what do I do?!"

Yeah, he doesn't have the fighter jet pilot dry as sawdust patter down, but none of them really do when things get REALLY hairy.  

Not sorry for Casey -- no need to pop the damn thing -- make the hole and put a warm compress on it and let the guy empty it himself.  But you wanted the gore, so you got it.  I did laugh at the shots of the guy eating and watching.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 5

I had to look away from the cyst thing...yeesh.  

I hope Edgar gets on the crab--his voice sounds more like Sig each time I hear him.  What will it take for Edgar to prove to Sid that he's worthy?  When Sid was talking to him before he left, Sid just had this semi-condescending look on his face....already disappointed in Edgar and he hadn't even started fishing. I realise Sid is basing his thoughts on past experience...I feel for Edgar.  

I really liked seeing Keith on deck doing the crab dance and stuff--the exercise is really good for his spirits as well as health.  Good for him. 

• Love 5
On 4/28/2016 at 11:01 AM, kassa said:

I was impressed by Jake's demeanor, actually.  HIs "she's not turning!" seemed more annoyed/aggravated than panicked. Contrast with the old guy freaking out when something went wrong when he was driving "what do I do?! what do I do?!"

Yeah, he doesn't have the fighter jet pilot dry as sawdust patter down, but none of them really do when things get REALLY hairy.  

Not sorry for Casey -- no need to pop the damn thing -- make the hole and put a warm compress on it and let the guy empty it himself.  But you wanted the gore, so you got it.  I did laugh at the shots of the guy eating and watching.

Finally got around to watching. Used to watch as soon as it came on, but nowadays I have it recorded 2-3 days before watching. I agree about the job Jake did. Yes, he was concerned, but he kept his cool, remembered to turn off the water to the tanks to keep sand from being sacked up, and did his job. I was also impressed with his reaction when the one engine gear box seized. I do wonder if the Saga has a designated engineer. I remember before Elliott's meltdown he used to leave the wheelhouse to work as the engineer. Is that bearded guy the engineer or the relief captain? Or, maybe it's common for the relief captain to double as engineer. Jake was doing a good job filling the tanks until the engine trouble.

It's to the point where I ignore most of the CM action. I don't like watching Josh not work, and this episode Casey was playing to the camera with his cyst first aide treatment and there wasn't much crabbing going on. I'd be happy if they dropped the CM and spent more time on the other boats - no Wild Bill and very minimal TB tonight.

Rooting for Edgar to find those crab, well, guess that's prospecting. Good to see Keith on deck and on the crab

• Love 2

I thought this was another pretty good ep.  So far, this year has been pretty good, for nothing really happening.  It appears to me that TPTB are not interfering as much.  In this, less is way more.

I don't think Jake's wailing about the lack of response by his boat was in any way indicative of poor seamanship.  The really smart and good thing is there was a seasoned captain right there to ensure he wasn't missing anything.  Other than sharing that Jake needed to peg the one good engine, which Jake was already doing, it seemed Jake was on it.  Whatever the truth, that was some riveting TV.  

• Love 3

Jake acquitted himself well this episode; navigating through that shallow channel with only one engine was quite a feat for a relatively new Captain.

I felt bad for Edgar; finding the crab isn't easy, and crew morale plummets quicker than a diving bird when pots come up empty.

It's probably a good idea for Keith to pay more attention to his health, since the stress of the job seems to take it's toll on the older Captains.

• Love 2

Well, I thought this week was pretty boring. Another episode of Jake screaming and yelling. Although he did manage to get the boat through the pass.  I was surprised that Casey did not use gloves when he popped the boil/cyst of the dh. It was gross to watch.    It was good to see Keith on deck - he seemed to enjoy himself out there. A lot of times the engineer is the relief captain: aka Edgar. I think Tony Lara was the relief captain as well as the engineer  when he fished with Phil on the CM.

• Love 1