Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E21: Devil's Backbone

• Start Topic

When guards at a Virginia prison intercept a package with evidence relating to the kidnapping of two boys several years ago, the BAU questions a notorious serial killer who may have information on the boys’ whereabouts.

I thought this was a pretty decent episode. I thought Sharon made good use of the team. Even more important I like the way Reid was used.Plus Hotch got some decent screen time.I know that Frances Fisher got a lot of screen time,but I didn't mind because it wasn't at the expense of the team itself. I got to admit I didn't really like Lewis being given a quote. I don't think she should have that honor until if or when she becomes full time.But that is a minor quibble I still enjoyed this episode.

I do have to question why Reid who is suppose to be some sort of germaphobia remained as calm as he did when she spit in his hand like that.But over all I thought Sharon made good use of him.She is probably my favorite writer when it comes to writing for Reid.

Another thing I am wondering.What was it that Antonio whispered to that other unsub.Whatever it was apparently Lewis figured it out and took him down before he could carry it out.

Finally I really liked Frances Fisher in this episode.I thought she was totally creepy but not over the top like so many of these other so called creepy unsubs. I loved how Hotch was profiling Antonio at the end.And yeah she totally had a hand in what is going to happen to Hotch.

Edited by MMC
  • Love 2

I liked this episode the most since "Entropy", and it's one of the few season 11 episodes I unreservedly like. I thought it was an interesting blend of psychological thriller and crime fighting. It was a very good blend of team working together and interacting with Antonia. All of the interactions were different and interesting, and of course my favorite scenes were with Reid and the few we got with Hotch.

• Love 2

Really good episode tonight. I always like the unsubs that are more psychologically scary than "blood and gore" scary. Antonia was well-casted and the various subplots with her and each member of the team were intriguing as well.

• Love 2

I just finished it and OMG that was intense!

Frances Fisher was really fucking creepy Dx 

And that ending had me almost crying because I don't want to wait any longer :/ 

AHHHHHHHH CM Stop with the cliffhangers....

• Love 3

What a great episode! Suspense in bucket loads! Frances Fisher was perfectly cast and oozed evil. The team were written so well, especially Reid. This was a return to the psychological profiling that has too often been missing of late. It has left me desperate to find out what happens in the finale - and that hasn't happened for a long time! So now there are 2 great episodes this season and hopefully a 3rd with the finale - fingers crossed!

• Love 9

Well, it was a good episode, it was entertaining and it was about profiling and that makes me so mad, because they could work their asses the whole season and not only once in a while.

Anyway, JJ scene and "she ruling the BAU..." hahahaha, sorry, I need a lot of time to translate my thoughts about it, so I'll post my opinion later.

I'm glad they finish the season with some quality, the promo for next episode looks great, I hope it's as good as this one and it will be ok.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3

I have watched more hours of tv and movies than several average people have cumulatively and I have to say that the guest villain was among the top 5 I've seen acting wise.  Totally bought her as a master manipulator, yet still believable.  She never went to the point where she'd become so perfect at being evil that you know she can't be real.  It's hard to describe but the performance was  on the one hand extreme and yet on the other subtle.  Reminded me a bit of actual Charles Manson  (as opposed to somebody playing Charles Manson.)  My hat is off to the actress.  She was Chilling.  Am glad she'll be back. 

Makes sense that she wasn't one and done because during this ep I kept saying to myself -how does she know so much about the team?  Somebody must be feeding her info.  So I'm guessing we'll see she is part of a bigger problem for the team.

• Love 9

I thought this was a pretty decent episode. I thought Sharon made good use of the team. Even more important I like the way Reid was used.Plus Hotch got some decent screen time.I know that Frances Fisher got a lot of screen time,but I didn't mind because it wasn't at the expense of the team itself. I got to admit I didn't really like Lewis being given a quote. I don't think she should have that honor until if or when she becomes full time.But that is a minor quibble I still enjoyed this episode.

I do have to question why Reid who is suppose to be some sort of germaphobia remained as calm as he did when she spit in his hand like that.But over all I thought Sharon made good use of him.She is probably my favorite writer when it comes to writing for Reid.

Another thing I am wondering.What was it that Antonio whispered to that other unsub.Whatever it was apparently Lewis figured it out and took him down before he could carry it out.

Finally I really liked Frances Fisher in this episode.I thought she was totally creepy but not over the top like so many of these other so called creepy unsubs. I loved how Hotch was profiling Antonio at the end.And yeah she totally had a hand in what is going to happen to Hotch.

Reid was standing up to her psychological tricks like a boss! She knew he would be squicked out, so he went all zen on her ass!

And Lewis didn't kill the unsub, he shot himself because of what Antonia told him. 

Speaking about the finale, I didn't see a single shot of Reid anywhere in the promo. Hope that's deliberate to build suspense somehow...

• Love 7

I was wondering a few things myself. We don't get the 'next ep promo' where I live but I knew from other sources a little bit about it. Didn't realise until Antonia/Hotch mentioned it in the ep that she had a child.....what if that child is Bodhi Elfman's character-Peter  Lewis/Mr Scratch. It's been said he makes a return in the season finale (and he is listed in the credits, which means an actual appearance and not just flashback). 

I didn't hear what Antonia said to the unsub right at the end before he killed himself. I'll check it again, with the closed captioning on. Was it maybe in German? (that wouldn't stop me either, Ich verstehen Deutsch) :)

but I loved this episode. Beautiful use of ALL the cast members; she was obviously aware of who they all were, pretty sure she knew of Reid's germaphobia and expected him to freak when she did that, but he was cool. The only bit I really didn't like was when Reid was explaining how he broke the cipher, and there was all this lovely screen time for MGG....except that he was obliterated by the effin' overhead projector's light and code image. Really? >:-( lousy director choice, IMHO. Loved Hotch takin' it to her at the end, profiling her to her face with complete accuracy.

This episode was the second best of the season behind Entropy :) for me.

• Love 3

Wow, what a great episode. It wasn't up to old school CM episodes, but it came pretty darn close. Kudos to great writing, great direction and great acting from the cast and the guest stars.

Frances Fisher blew me away as Antonia; she was chilling! I really appreciated how she got into the BAU's psyche to mess with them, not the usual blood and gore. Though the profilers tried to remain sanguine throughout, you could tell Antonia was truly getting under everyone's skin. It was as if she had read their private diaries. And I must give Reid some props for not horking when Antonia spit up her food into his palm. Plus, she also tapped into Reid's grief losing people important in his life, the latest being Morgan. In a weird way, it tapped into the tenderness I feel for Reid and how his young life has been defined by abandonment.

And the rest of the BAU was also wonderfully portrayed as the boss profilers they are. So good to see Hotch be more than a stern-faced suit, Rossi as something other than a mushball grandpa, and Garcia acting like a damn professional-no kitty ears, just a more subdued flower in her blonde tresses. Sure, there was a lot of Lewis, but it made sense considering she is a forensic psychologist. And JJ didn't act like Ninja Barbie nor did she throw out the mommy card. But her as the head of the BAU? I'll become the first female Pope before that ever happens.

I also have to give a shout out to the guest actors who played the unsub and the child victims, including the brief flashback to one of Antonia's first victims, the little girl. They were excellent!

And I can't wait for the next episode. This season finale better live up to my rather high expectations. I'm just thrilled it is going to be focused on my favorite character after Reid, Hotch.

• Love 6

I didn't hear what Antonia said to the unsub right at the end before he killed himself. I'll check it again, with the closed captioning on. Was it maybe in German? (that wouldn't stop me either, Ich verstehen Deutsch) :)

You weren't supposed to hear it.  Closed Captioning had it as " [inaudible]"

• Love 3

Wow, what a great episode. It wasn't up to old school CM episodes, but it came pretty darn close. Kudos to great writing, great direction and great acting from the cast and the guest stars.

Frances Fisher blew me away as Antonia; she was chilling! I really appreciated how she got into the BAU's psyche to mess with them, not the usual blood and gore. Though the profilers tried to remain sanguine throughout, you could tell Antonia was truly getting under everyone's skin. It was as if she had read their private diaries. And I must give Reid some props for not horking when Antonia spit up her food into his palm. Plus, she also tapped into Reid's grief losing people important in his life, the latest being Morgan. In a weird way, it tapped into the tenderness I feel for Reid and how his young life has been defined by abandonment.

And the rest of the BAU was also wonderfully portrayed as the boss profilers they are. So good to see Hotch be more than a stern-faced suit, Rossi as something other than a mushball grandpa, and Garcia acting like a damn professional-no kitty ears, just a more subdued flower in her blonde tresses. Sure, there was a lot of Lewis, but it made sense considering she is a forensic psychologist. And JJ didn't act like Ninja Barbie nor did she throw out the mommy card. But her as the head of the BAU? I'll become the first female Pope before that ever happens.

I also have to give a shout out to the guest actors who played the unsub and the child victims, including the brief flashback to one of Antonia's first victims, the little girl. They were excellent!

And I can't wait for the next episode. This season finale better live up to my rather high expectations. I'm just thrilled it is going to be focused on my favorite character after Reid, Hotch.

Agree with everything here, especially the bold section -- I sorta did a cartoon head shake at that statement, bc I thought the point was supposed to be that Antonia is correct about the things she said.

• Love 3

LOL... OMG Booky.... I say this all the time; "Thankseversomuch for that, I just spewed coffee out all over the  monitor" when someone posts something that makes me laugh.

BUT

this time! I really DID spew coffee out whilst laughing whilst reading your post. My son almost had to do an intervention. "MOM! Are you all right!?" as I'm coughing coffee all over the place..

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

LOL... OMG Booky.... I say this all the time; "Thankseversomuch for that, I just spewed coffee out all over the  monitor" when someone posts something that makes me laugh.

BUT

this time! I really DID spew coffee out whilst laughing whilst reading your post. My son almost had to do an intervention. "MOM! Are you all right!?" as I'm coughing coffee all over the place..

Thank you so much. On this sad day, and just feeling bit melancholy at best (2016 has really sucked so far), I really needed your kind compliment even if my remark is rather scatological. Just trying to lighten up my heavy mood.

...and to paraphrase my beloved Dorothy Parker, "I'm just a little UU girl trying to be cute."

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1

Lewis didn't take down Barlow. What ever Antonia Slade said to him, made him shoot himself under the chin.

Reid was standing up to her psychological tricks like a boss! She knew he would be squicked out, so he went all zen on her ass!

And Lewis didn't kill the unsub, he shot himself because of what Antonia told him. 

Speaking about the finale, I didn't see a single shot of Reid anywhere in the promo. Hope that's deliberate to build suspense somehow...

I think that the 21 sec promo was designed for maximum impact. And Frankly seeing Hotch on his knees hands in the air and then in cuffs being made to do the "Perp Walk" was maximum impact. I do wonder if the flash of Lewis in the prison with her gun drawn doesn't just include her but the rest of the team. Maybe Hotch is in danger in Prison.. (Are we going to get Hotch in Prison Orange?)

• Love 1

Lewis didn't take down Barlow. What ever Antonia Slade said to him, made him shoot himself under the chin.

I think that the 21 sec promo was designed for maximum impact. And Frankly seeing Hotch on his knees hands in the air and then in cuffs being made to do the "Perp Walk" was maximum impact. I do wonder if the flash of Lewis in the prison with her gun drawn doesn't just include her but the rest of the team. Maybe Hotch is in danger in Prison.. (Are we going to get Hotch in Prison Orange?)

Orange is the New Flack (Jacket).

That thud you heard was our ever-delightful SSAHotchner falling into a dead faint.

Edited by Bookish Jen

I was wondering a few things myself. We don't get the 'next ep promo' where I live but I knew from other sources a little bit about it. Didn't realise until Antonia/Hotch mentioned it in the ep that she had a child.....what if that child is Bodhi Elfman's character-Peter  Lewis/Mr Scratch. It's been said he makes a return in the season finale (and he is listed in the credits, which means an actual appearance and not just flashback). 

but I loved this episode. Beautiful use of ALL the cast members; she was obviously aware of who they all were, pretty sure she knew of Reid's germaphobia and expected him to freak when she did that, but he was cool. The only bit I really didn't like was when Reid was explaining how he broke the cipher, and there was all this lovely screen time for MGG....except that he was obliterated by the effin' overhead projector's light and code image. Really? >:-( lousy director choice, IMHO. Loved Hotch takin' it to her at the end, profiling her to her face with complete accuracy.

This episode was the second best of the season behind Entropy :) for me.

Wow, that's a great idea about Mr. Scratch being her son. The spitting in Reid's hand grossed me out so much, though, that even thinking about it now still makes me gag. 

• Love 2

Wow, that's a great idea about Mr. Scratch being her son. The spitting in Reid's hand grossed me out so much, though, that even thinking about it now still makes me gag. 

And so soon after I had dinner. Thanks show!

• Love 1

So now we know the dirty little secret as to why JJ has so often acted as though she were in charge.It is because she wants Aaron Hotchner's job as the BAU chief.And than there is the fact that JJ is supposedly the smartest one of them all according to Antonia Slade.I sincerely hope that she actually didn't perceive JJ as being the smartest one of the bunch.Instead I like to think of it as the unsub simply trying to prey upon JJ's ego much the same way she tried to prey upon Reid's insecurities because that it where she thought she'd  be the most effective in this so called mind game she was attempting to play with the team.

OH and thanks for clearing that up for me.Apparently I had glanced away at the wrong moment so I had missed where the male unsub had shot himself.

Edited by MMC
  • Love 3

Truer words...yeah. Maybe they think if they have enough characters say it, then it will be true.

But I'm a show, don't tell kind of person.

Hello fiancee' I meant to say hello when you dropped in for a rare visit shortly after the airing of the excellent Entropy. As far as asking to be shown I believe that has often been MESSer and company's intent as far as shoving it into our faces as to just how brilliant JJ is suppose to be. The trouble for me as a huge Reid fan,is I felt that at times it was done at his expense. Which was another reason I came to despise her as much as I did.

• Love 2

Fell asleep on it last night, but that was more a reflection of my day than the show.  I've just watched it through.  I think it's as good an episode as we can expect from CM, or any television program, for that matter.  Profiling!!  We got profiling!!   And we were presented with a fascinating guest star who interacted, sequentially, with each of our team members.  Well, except Garcia, who was acceptably toned down and yet had some significant contributions to the case. Although she wasn't spared a ridiculous request: a list of 'single men who live alone and have a profession that requires attention to detail'.  

The Reid-meter was in the 'happy' range throughout.  Years ago, I fell in love with Baby Reid, but now I love the MAN.  And he showed up last night, courtesy of the writing hand of Sharon Lee Watson.  I love his righteous anger, even if it sometimes gets him in trouble. This episode, I loved that he overcame his own repulsion to stand still in the face of her regurgitating into his hand.  I loved that he solved the cipher, even if it was a bit over the top.  I loved his involvement in the take down, even if the whole scene was strange.  There was more to love than hate, and I can forgive a lot of plot hole for the sake of some decent Spencer Reid.

It's my guess that Antonia Slade actually told our unsub to kill himself, rather than him choosing to do so because of something else she whispered to him.  He shot himself once in the head, just as she would have.

The questions that remain for me:

Re: the cipher.  Is she supposed to be as much of a genius as Reid, that she could come up with the idea?  

Are we supposed to see her as so talented with reading people, and inspiring dependence, that she was even able to get under the skin of the team members?  If so, I'm not complaining. I like the idea of a complex, worthy, adversary.

Were we supposed to read something into her words to JJ?  I thought that whole exchange was bizarre, because, as Droogie pointed out, she was speaking the truth to the other BAU agents, but I don't see this as truth.  I don't see JJ as that self-impressed, nor ambitious.  I think it's all she can do to be a mother and come to work.  It would have been interesting if Slade had gone that direction with her, but maybe Slade doesn't have a frame of reference for that.  Which, of course, might prove to be her Achilles heel.  

Biggest question:  If they are capable of producing an intelligent, thought-provoking episode about profiling, with a good mix of team members, why don't they do it every week?   Are they blind to the difference in substance and quality?  Or are they aware, and  just throwing a bone to the former demographic, to keep us hanging in there?  I'd really like to know, because I'm really not all that willing to hang in there for one or two quality episodes per year.  I've been cleaning out the house and I find I have a lot of books to read!

For me, the battle of wits was far more engaging than gore, or torture, or helicopters, or explosions.  I'm hesitant to get excited about the final episode, because I fear some of those items may come into play once again.  I think, for now, I'll just luxuriate in this one.  

• Love 6

I thought the point was that she was talking to each one in way that is the opposite of how they are typically spoken to--so, disrespectfully for Hotch, like she is the boss for JJ and like he is an idiot for Reid.  No?

• Love 5

Hello fiancee' I meant to say hello when you dropped in for a rare visit shortly after the airing of the excellent Entropy. As far as asking to be shown I believe that has often been MESSer and company's intent as far as shoving it into our faces as to just how brilliant JJ is suppose to be. The trouble for me as a huge Reid fan,is I felt that at times it was done at his expense. Which was another reason I came to despise her as much as I did.

Nope.

I thought the point was that she was talking to each one in way that is the opposite of how they are typically spoken to--so, disrespectfully for Hotch, like she is the boss for JJ and like he is an idiot for Reid.  No?

IIRC that's exactly what the team said after she had spoken to JJ(?). Something along the lines of "she's saying things opposite to what we're used to so we're unbalanced around her." I'm pretty sure I heard that.

• Love 2

So now we know the dirty little secret as to why JJ has so often acted as though she were in charge.It is because she wants Aaron Hotchner's job as the BAU chief.And than there is the fact that JJ is supposedly the smartest one of them all according to Antonia Slade.I sincerely hope that she actually didn't perceive JJ as being the smartest one of the bunch.Instead I like to think of it as the unsub simply trying to prey upon JJ's ego much the same way she tried to prey upon Reid's insecurities because that it where she thought she'd  be the most effective in this so called mind game she was attempting to play with the team.

OH and thanks for clearing that up for me.Apparently I had glanced away at the wrong moment so I had missed where the male unsub had shot himself.

Okay, MMC, I know you detest JJ and I understand why, but I feel that she handled that scene well. Sharon did not show her, at least not that I saw, as even a tiny bit thinking that she should be in charge. That was refreshing after several other writers have shown her taking charge in other episodes. I really feel that Sharon did a great job with all the characters. She didn't take anyone that extra step that made them annoying or arrogant. I didn't feel that anyone was over used at the expense of the others. And there was limited Garcia. and whoever said she was dressed more appropriately and attractively, you are right. I did wonder if whoever created the first wig Tara wore did Antonia's wig. It was just as ugly. But Tara looked very pretty last night. 

• Love 3

JMO, I'm with you, but all the CM writers are not capable of writing episodes like last night's episode. I'll bet that none of the more recent writing staff has ever watched even one of the early season episodes. The fact that last week's episode was penned by someone with no previous writing credits at all is unbelievable and unacceptable to me. Seriously, I was ready for the show to be over, but when they pull out some good writing so close to the end of the season it makes me hope they get another season. However, you know I'll be back here whining about how terrible it is if they continue churning out the crap we've mostly gotten for the past 3 seasons. 

• Love 5

I'd be happy if the writing team was trimmed down to include Sharon Lee Watson, Breen Frazier, Kirsten Vangsness and Erica Messer (as a team)........  unless they wanna hire CoStar, Booky or myself :)

• Love 7

Was it me, or was this very similar to Silence of the Lambs?

Just the visits and their interviews are similar to Hannibal vs Graham or Hannibal vs Starling.

I've commented how much The Fox and Foyet's relationship reminds me of the Hannibal and Red Dragon not long ago.

I think is natural they pay some tribute to the mythology in Thomas Harris's books.

Okay, MMC, I know you detest JJ and I understand why, but I feel that she handled that scene well. Sharon did not show her, at least not that I saw, as even a tiny bit thinking that she should be in charge. That was refreshing after several other writers have shown her taking charge in other episodes. I really feel that Sharon did a great job with all the characters. She didn't take anyone that extra step that made them annoying or arrogant. I didn't feel that anyone was over used at the expense of the others. And there was limited Garcia. and whoever said she was dressed more appropriately and attractively, you are right. I did wonder if whoever created the first wig Tara wore did Antonia's wig. It was just as ugly. But Tara looked very pretty last night. 

I am going to take your word for it SSA Hotchner because I know you would never stir me wrong. I agree that Sharon did an exceptional job with this episode.And that includes the way she wrote the team,JJ included. I will admit I was only half listening to the conversation with JJ. Sadly CBS, Erica Messer and most of these CM writers did such damage to her character in my eyes that I can't even appreciate it when she isn't written over the top. So a lot of times I tend to block her out whenever she is on screen.And yes this does make it very difficult for me to watch the show. In fact it makes it downright impossible at times.Which is one of the reasons why this show has gone from must see tv for me to one that I am more or less semi watching these days.And for those of you who are now able to appreciate JJ these days for the way she is being written(toned down and not so over the top) I envy you I really do. I am just not there yet and perhaps I never well be.Oh well it is something I am just going to have to learn to live with.But I can't help but feel had the show remained in Ed Bernero hands I would probably be feeling different about JJ,in a good way, these days. 

• Love 2

Well, I think we all wanted to hear the Children's Choir cover a Radiohead tune. Weak guys, weak.

I liked Frances Fisher...she was all kinds of weird and creepy that helped sell just how deranged and really insecure that Antonia Slade was. Really helped get past the writing, which I thought was merely OK, if somewhat predictable. Slade really wasn't a novel kind of narcissist- I mean, I'm not sure she'll go down amongst the best this show has ever seen- but at least the writing choices ensured that she was entertaining at least. I did like that it took the BAU quite a bit of legwork to figure out how to crack her, and I liked Rossi and Lewis pretending to put her down "behind her back"- I thought that was effective.

I also liked that the BAU kind of went along with what she wanted, although I kept on thinking "this is going to backfire spectacularly". I also wonder how much of her interrogation was really needed- regular old deduction and police work could have solved this.

As for the rest of the case- it wasn't nearly as good as Slade was. Knowing that there were kids involved and the team was racing against the clock to save them, you knew what the outcome would be- they would be saved. The show almost never goes down that well so it was fake dramatics, and I didn't particularly care for the guy who actually abducted the kids. Perhaps if the two boys had died and another group of kids were kidnapped this would have been better- at least we'd know from a narrative standpoint that there is no guarantee for survival for the next group.

Other things:

-I really liked Reid being authoritative and confident. Sure, it's kind of "borrowed" from Morgan, but for Reid it made sense- by this point he shouldn't be a "confused little snowflake" but a competent agent. Glad that came out tonight.

-Speaking of Morgan, is he dead? Slade's interaction with Reid indicated the possibility.

-Not much of Lewis. Sure, she's not a member of the main cast yet, but Lewis is technically part of the team- she should receive a somewhat even role in the team's work. I'm not sure she even appeared once when the rest of the team converged for their mini-meetings after the official debriefing.

-That said, five profilers seems to be enough. Everyone had a prominent role without needing to push another team member aside.

-Lastly, I know that this team has dealt with people who are better manipulators than Slade was, so, thus, I get that it wouldn't have made too much sense for Slade to be able to manipulate them so easily. However- wouldn't it have been fun if Slade got inside everyone's heads and made them turn on each other? Or even just Hotch? The team gets along way too easily I think, and it would be nice if, for once, the show had a little intra-team drama.

Also, knowing that Hotch is being arrested to start 11.22, it would have made a lot of sense for his troubles to start in this episode, perhaps because someone like JJ or Reid (or both) became mavericks because Slade convinced them that "they ought to be higher up in the BAU foodchain by now". Then we could have had an uneasy truce in this episode and in the next one, the team realizing they really need each other- including Hotch- to be successful, so they get past their egos and show that they truly can be above attempts to destroy the team dynamic.

Episode Grade: C. It went down okay...but some parts still felt like they could have used a lot of work.

• Love 1

I'd be happy if the writing team was trimmed down to include Sharon Lee Watson, Breen Frazier, Kirsten Vangsness and Erica Messer (as a team)........  unless they wanna hire CoStar, Booky or myself :)

Well, they could hire you and CoStar to write scripts, and they could hire me to write CM-related copy for the CBS site.

• Love 2

not sure the general public would love "Criminal Minds: This Week In Spencer Reid's Life" as much as some of us would O:-)

they could hire me to write CM-related copy for the CBS site.

oh  cool! 

at least it wouldn't be endless pieces about Shemar Moore's abs! :D

• Love 4

not sure the general public would love "Criminal Minds: This Week In Spencer Reid's Life" as much as some of us would O:-)

oh  cool! 

at least it wouldn't be endless pieces about Shemar Moore's abs! :D

I like Shemar Moore, and I adore his bromance with Matthew. I think I would never stop laughing if I hung out with those two (plus, I'd bring my lady wit to their boyish goofball humor because girls mature faster than boys-snerk). I saw Shemar on The Talk a few weeks ago, and he came across as rather pleasant and smart, more than just a beautiful package of muscles. He is a bit of a tease on social media with his selfies, shirtless pics, "baby girl" flirtation and fortune cookie-like musings. And I know my Shemar/Derek loving friend Sue isn't complaining about endless photos and features about  Shemar Moore's abs. She's probably all Oliverette Twisty in her stilettoes thinking, "Please, Sir. I'd like some Mo(o)re."

As for "Criminal Minds: This Week In Spencer Reid's Life." Well, I get on that as soon as CBS hires me. Someone has to take one for the team.

On-topic: I also got a Silence of the Lambs vibe from this episode having a serial killer who combined both keen intellect with evil and cruelty, which is much more frightening than a couple of dimwitted and drug addled bikers as seen in Outlaw whose intellect wouldn't fill a thimble. And it also helps when the unsub is played by someone who can actually act.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 3

admittedly, I've never seen Silence of the Lambs, because generally speaking, I don't like blood and guts movies, horror, and a lot of gratuitous violence and I was under the impression Lambs is full of that, so I didn't read a SotL parallel to Devil's Backbone at all.

I was also never a CM fan from the outset because I was under the impression it was full of blood and guts and as much gratuitous violence as was allowed on primetime network tv.....Until my son made me watch BigGame/Revelations and Matthew's very presence superseded any notions about the gore.

and to be clear, I do not 'hate' Shemar Moore. I was just very tired of CBS' seemingly endless pimping of his abs. I won't particularly miss Morgan on CM but I will miss the Reid and Morgan friendship and small r relationship (lil bro/big bro nothing sexual). And I know and acknowledge that there are many who will miss Shemar/Derek just as I would've missed Reid had Matthew decided to leave.

• Love 3

I thought the line about JJ being as smart as Hotch but no-one noticing because she's an attractive woman was a dig at the fans. Same with the unsub choosing to talk to Lewis over Rossi.

• Love 1

to be clear, I do not 'hate' Shemar Moore. I was just very tired of CBS' seemingly endless pimping of his abs. I won't particularly miss Morgan on CM but I will miss the Reid and Morgan friendship and small r relationship (lil bro/big bro nothing sexual). And I know and acknowledge that there are many who will miss Shemar/Derek just as I would've missed Reid had Matthew decided to leave.

Exactly. I was never a big fan of Morgan, buy I did enjoy the friendship he had with Reid. I can see Reid struggling more than the others ( as shown in this episode, with the interview thing)

Edited by autumnmountains
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, qwerty said:

Has anyone noticed the end of most episodes this season end with a song for some reason? Anyone know if there's an actual reason why?

and a lot of it is nepotism. Lily Kershaw again yesterday. And they used one of Joe Mantegna's daughter's song earlier this season too. I suppose that accomplishes two things: 1. it's cheaper, no huge rights fee to pay to the Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan or  whoever and 2. it puts daddy's little girl's music out there

Edited by ReidFan
typo
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, qwerty said:

And again he's easily read by an unsub/anyone.

I have to disagree.  I think Reid is excellent at the mind game.  He lets people see what he wants them to see and then works it to his advantage.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, autumnmountains said:

Yeah, he allows them to believe they have the upper hand, but they don't at all. :)

I said that upthread or in another thread.

• Love 2