Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Mack Z vs. Abby Lee

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Where can we see Maddie doing hiphop?

Jojo could have won if her choreography wasn't so lame. Brynn just looks too skinny when she does hiphop.

You can't really see Maddie doing dancing actual hip hop, but you can see her doing the jazz funky thing the girls were doing on the show on the youtube pages of the people who choreographed their solos: Guy Amir and Rumer Noel.  There are so many!  Here's a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxw85BXNHpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGvSSjtC3M

None of them are actually very good at this style if you compare them to kids who are exceptional.  Compare them to the other kids in the class : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wL9LsnADI

Or the little girls in the second group in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC0JGK18Ii8

Regardless, the way I see it, of course there are kids who are much, much better then them... they are just learning. I actually like seeing them in these videos more then in their Abby/Gianna choreographed solos.  It's pretty brave to put yourself out there in a new style that is so full of talented kids.  Those hip hop kids probably couldn't hold a candle to Maddie, Kalani or Brynn in a lyrical number, so its all relative.  I do think Mackenzie has potential though, because she is better then Jojo and Brynn (imo) and she's probably had less training then them in this style, which kind of implies she has more of a natural talent for it.  Also, Jojo's hip hop is pretty disappointing, considering this is her "thing".  

Edited by sofiah

Yes, none of the girls are particularly good at hip hop, and much of it isn't even actual hip hop.  But that isn't a dig at them as they don't have that training.  As said, in the video above where you can see Maddie, Kalani and a few others dancing in a class with other more experienced kids you can see that the other kids are just way sharper and more advanced.   Maddie and Kalani aren't horrible, but to me you can also see where they don't look particularly comfortable in the style.  They are fully going for it so kudos to them, but they aren't there yet.  This is the rare time where Maddie fades into the background against dancers who are better in this style, and that's understandable.  Now of course the comments are full of people talking about how Maddie is the star and blah blah and she's better than everyone else in the vid, but that's mostly fan service from little kids I presume who want to believe that their idol is the best at everything.  Now in the one video, Kendall looks bad.  I'm not sure all the hip hop classes in the world are going to help her much.

I also think the emphasis on hip hop, real or otherwise, is that if these kids want to be working dancers, at least in the LA based entertainment industry, than that skill is necessary.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like most of the professional LA dance opportunities involve some form of hip hop.   That is what is called for if you are going to perform/tour with most current recording artists.   It's probably called for in almost every audition and etc.  You need to at least be competent at it, which is another reason why I expect Kendall is screwed if she is trying to book real jobs.  Mack, Maddie, Kalani, Brynn and etc. can probably get there eventually, in terms of at least being competent enough to pass.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

Now in the one video, Kendall looks bad.  I'm not sure all the hip hop classes in the world are going to help her much.

I also think the emphasis on hip hop, real or otherwise, is that if these kids want to be working dancers, at least in the LA based entertainment industry, than that skill is necessary.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like most of the professional LA dance opportunities involve some form of hip hop.   That is what is called for if you are going to perform/tour with most current recording artists.   It's probably called for in almost every audition and etc.  You need to at least be competent at it, which is another reason why I expect Kendall is screwed if she is trying to book real jobs.  Mack, Maddie, Kalani, Brynn and etc. can probably get there eventually, in terms of at least being competent enough to pass.

I agree.  Kendall stands out, and not really in a good way.

Here's Brynn showing a little bit of a different side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnCT1eoEzw

• Love 3

I agree. I think lyrical dancing is very much a niche thing that is a recent trend in terms of popular culture. The recent jobs that Maddie has had with ABC (DWTS and the Disney special) seem more like they were designed with her in mind rather than reflecting a demand for lyrical dancers (which speaks to her popularity and the skills of her reps for keeping her out there). Maddie is the go-to girl for lyrical dance right now. Will be interesting to see if she can break out of that mold.

I agree.  I think if you are already a star, so someone like Maddie currently, then opportunities are created around you to show off your speciality.  People want to see Maddie.  Not sure if that will stick, but for now she is getting jobs based on who she is more than a need for that particular type of dancer in a role.  Whereas most professional dancers are working in the background unfortunately.  Yes, there are certain venues on television where dancers are put front and center like DWTS and SYTYCD--and SYTYCD is on its last legs at the moment, but that is more the exception than the rule.  Certain dance stars have been created from these shows, but again the exception.  Working in professional dance is largely being a background player, and I assume attending open cattle calls and being able to do whatever dance style they throw at you.  If you can't hang, then you don't work.  They aren't going to ask what you do best and cater to that.

• Love 3

They'll throw a part into a show for a specific person to try to pull in a different segment of audience sometimes.  That's likely what has happened with Maddie and a couple of parts. 

That was awesome. WHY doesn't she show that much expression when she is on Dance Moms? Did they tell her she has to be less than she is so her highness Maddie looks better? So strange.

I know, right?

That one led me to this one, which is also awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=626xcYU1Xlg

The more I watch Brynn in things outside of Dance Moms, the more I think the whole "Brynn is boring" thing is baloney. 

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 2

That was awesome. WHY doesn't she show that much expression when she is on Dance Moms? Did they tell her she has to be less than she is so her highness Maddie looks better? So strange.

Brynn is an awkward dancer without any natural rhythm or musicality. Lyrical dance can hide those flaws and with her flexibility and control she excels with it. She seemed to be flailing a bit in this video.

Yes, none of the girls are particularly good at hip hop, and much of it isn't even actual hip hop.  But that isn't a dig at them as they don't have that training.  As said, in the video above where you can see Maddie, Kalani and a few others dancing in a class with other more experienced kids you can see that the other kids are just way sharper and more advanced.   Maddie and Kalani aren't horrible, but to me you can also see where they don't look particularly comfortable in the style.  They are fully going for it so kudos to them, but they aren't there yet.  This is the rare time where Maddie fades into the background against dancers who are better in this style, and that's understandable.  Now of course the comments are full of people talking about how Maddie is the star and blah blah and she's better than everyone else in the vid, but that's mostly fan service from little kids I presume who want to believe that their idol is the best at everything.  Now in the one video, Kendall looks bad

Since they are all just kids, who knows how it will go. It will be interesting to see.

I agree.  Kendall stands out, and not really in a good way.

Here's Brynn showing a little bit of a different side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnCT1eoEzw

Woah, she's really really good in those two videos :O Maybe she's so nervous on the show that she pales, or they just want her to appear like that.

Wait, when was Jordyn Jones on Dance Moms?

Edited by Odelia

Woah, she's really really good in those two videos :O Maybe she's so nervous on the show that she pales, or they just want her to appear like that.

Wait, when was Jordyn Jones on Dance Moms?

I guess it was AUDC, not actual dance moms...maybe? I remember her being on some stuff w/ Abby...

Jordyn was a good hip hop dancer when she was younger and for sure she's better than these girls, but even she's not that good anymore.  To be fair, I'm not sure if she regularly trains.  Like the Dance Moms girls, she seems to be angling for mega fame, whether that be through acting or the "music" she releases.  Her people seem to be trying to market her as some sort of knock off Iggy Azalea, which one of those is more than enough.

• Love 1

I know, right?

That one led me to this one, which is also awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=626xcYU1Xlg

The more I watch Brynn in things outside of Dance Moms, the more I think the whole "Brynn is boring" thing is baloney. 

That's just it! Brynn is FABULOUS outside of Dance Moms! More why it's such a shame that she's even doing this. I don't know whether she's intimidated at DM, or that Club Dance was her home where she could excel and express like that... who knows? But as far as I can see, none of the girls are able to do their best work on Dance Moms. Any guest that comes in only gets to show a tiny fraction of their abilities.

• Love 2

Mackenzie's outfit would have been cute on a young woman at Comic-con.  On a preteen, it was way too mature.  Or, to quote Season 1, it was sleazy.  Those ruffled panty/short things do not belong on anyone under 18.

I liked her dance the best, though I will admit to not knowing enough about dance to know if it was really hip hop.  No more pigtails and cartwheels, though, so it's a win for her!  She was passionate and strong.

Brynn looked like a noodle. She's all limp arms and legs, and her face is worse then Kendalls.  Technique doesn't matter if you put the audience to sleep.

Jojo was cute, but not particularly memorable this week. 

The costumes for the group were hideous.  These are all lovely, slender, strong girls, and it made them look chunky.  It was a nice dance, though.

That choreography (Kalani's Club Dance solo) was awesome. Why is she slumming it on a reality show full of half talents who are more famous for their instagram accounts and mothers' antics rather than actual jobs?

Choreography: Teddy Forance, the real deal.  Kalani will graduate to Travis Wall's group in no time, and since she loves dance for dance, that's probably exactly what she wants.

Maddie has come a thousand miles being off in NY training away from Abby and away from competition dances, but she's still just one of hundreds of kids her age that dances well.  I have to give it to her, having many new avenues really helped her with her facial expressions.

Thanks sofiah or was it spanana? for sharing Kalani's new solo, it's fantastic.

Just catching up on this episode now.  All I can say is, wow, those three solos were collectively the worst I think I've ever seen in any episode of this show, ever.  I'm not even talking about the girls' technique, but rather the lackluster choreography of all three and the fact that they weren't actually hip hop.  Way to go out with a whimper, Dance Moms!

• Love 1