Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

With her being mentioned now, I feel like it's a great time to ask.  How did they ever figure out she was responsible for it, and what was her big comeuppance?  I keep reading on this board that Kim and Shane remained affected by her actions even after her death, but how did her death come about?

Emma was very open about her role in Andrew's kidnapping because she knew that  Shane, Kim and Victor could never prove it. Emma was very diabolical.  Her hatred of Kim was pathological.  She used to call Andrew , the little bastard.  Emma had switched a blood test that Kim had done secretly and named Victor as the father, to break Kim  and Shane up. When Kim and Shane got back together after Andrew's birth.  Shane delivered him at a cabin.  That is a Days trope, to have fathers deliver their kids.  Jack, John, Shane and Sonny all did that.  There were more characters that did that as well, but,   I digress.  Shane had agreed to raise the baby as his son. Kim and Shane called him Andrew Shawn Donovan.  Andrew like Shawn-Douglas was named after his grandfathers.  Emma became enraged and plotted revenge.   Emma tricked Kim in giving up rights to Andrew. I forgot how she did that.  Emma took Andrew to Cleveland, coincidentally that is where Kayla lived. Kayla was actually on the same plane as Emma and Andrew. To keep Kayla from running into Andrew at the hospital where she worked, she hired a thug named Steve Johnson to scare Kayla out of town.  Steve had no idea that he inadvertently helped Emma's evil scheme from being exposed. Steve would later rectify that and it would backfire..

Emma kept on taunting Kim, Shane and Victor about Andrew's location, for months.  Kim threatened to kill Emma at a party in front of the whole town. Emma was later found dead and Kim was promptly arrested.  Kim was tried and convicted for her murder. Eventually, Kim and Shane found out that it was Shane's ISA partner who set Kim up for Emma's murder. She had killed Emma in order to set Kim up, to get Shane for herself.. Shane like Steve has always had Psychos wanting him..

Another little nugget of info, Emma was believed to be dead for years. Her death haunted Shane, it was why he had built a wall around himself, until he met Kim.  Kim and Shane were all about the walls that  each had built to keep others out.   So, Emma was part of their dynamic, even before she came back.  The same thing for Steve and Kayla. Jack was part of their story before he came into town..  Emma came back from the dead at Bo and Hope's  first wedding in England and tried to kill them. We later found out that she was kidnapped and brainwashed by the dragon who faked her death. He was a  criminal that Bo, Hope, Kim and Shane were tracking.   Once she came back, Kim and Shane broke up because she was the love of Shane's life...She came back to Salem with Shane. Marlena and Kim helped her recover. She was a sympathetic character at first, then, she became a villainess...Hurricane Emma was evil and even in death, she was still torturing Kim.. She died knowing where Andrew was...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

As I was reading your post I immediately thought of the Tate kidnapping story and how it went absolutely nowhere in spite of lasting weeks. I guess we could maybe say that Theresa got closer to Marlena when Marlena hypnotized her and sympathized with her. That's about it.

From the way Ron has written the last three episodes, I'm wondering if the current John, Kate, Marlena and Hattie story is going to reveal or at least resolve the problems that have plagued John and Marlena for years now, namely that he always leaves her high and dry. Hattie is probably going to clue into the fact that John hasn't been a reliable presence in Marlena's life and maybe John will learn from that and Marlena will acknowledge that she does actually feel as frustrated as Hattie portrayed her as feeling.

If all of this impersonation silliness at least gets us a few scenes of John and Marlena openly discussing their relationship frankly it will be worth it.

I came across a clip on YouTube years ago of Wayne as Roman getting into something of a tense discussion with Marlena in a hotel room because she had to go off to some conference and he was frustrated with the distance that was growing between them. I don't remember all the details but I do remember thinking "this doesn't seem like a Days of Our Lives episode at all!" It's rare that this show delves into subtle relationship issues. Most of the time it seems to just want to hit the tropes with a sledgehammer and then be on to the next cliche thing.

It would have been really great if a little of that subtlety had been present in the Theresa Brady storyline. His relationship with Kristen was obviously based on sex and Brady's grief and Kristen being a fantastic manipulator (and all of the characters being incredibly stupid to facilitate the story as well.) Maybe if while redeeming Theresa, they had showed that Brady feels powerless in life and is drawn to the reckless behavior that makes Theresa so engaging and then resolved that by having Theresa and Brady be wild in certain aspects of their life but not in others, we would have seen them grow together as a couple instead of just be smushed together as Theresa was reformed into a more responsible character via her business and son.

Is Ron known for writing subtle character shifts? Or should we hope to see Sherri push that angle?

Honestly I haven't really been a John and Marlena fan since he got really cold towards her during Kristen's return. That he even went through with the divorce when his entire seduction of Kristen was a ruse made little sense to me and I was especially appalled that he didn't show more warmth to Marlena after she spent months at his bedside while he was in a coma. They may have tried to redeem him by writing these sappy scenes with the two of them kissing and making love declarations, but for me I really need to see John and Marlena have an honest maybe even slightly ugly conversation about how messed up the relationship has been in the past and why.

.... not that it will be easy for Ron to try and make sense of the last 5 years of fragmented storytelling.

God, you hit the nail on the head.  Subtlety has been something I have wanted Days to adapt for years now.  I'm someone who really enjoys the over the top storylines sometimes but also remember in the 90's how they were also mixed with real everyday issues that help keep Days interesting/relatable.  I would much rather see John and Marlena finally address their relationship issues than have another adventure/kidnapping storyline for them.

For example, one storyline that I really loved was when Bo and Hope separated not because of another person but because of how each of them dealt with Ciara's kidnapping when she was a child and how that affected their marriage.  That to me was way more interesting and compelling than bringing in a third party for another triangle.  I found that storyline so realistic and actually relatable without resorting to making either one of them the "bad guy". 

Hopefully the new writing will have more of that.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

As I was reading your post I immediately thought of the Tate kidnapping story and how it went absolutely nowhere in spite of lasting weeks. I guess we could maybe say that Theresa got closer to Marlena when Marlena hypnotized her and sympathized with her. That's about it.

From the way Ron has written the last three episodes, I'm wondering if the current John, Kate, Marlena and Hattie story is going to reveal or at least resolve the problems that have plagued John and Marlena for years now, namely that he always leaves her high and dry. Hattie is probably going to clue into the fact that John hasn't been a reliable presence in Marlena's life and maybe John will learn from that and Marlena will acknowledge that she does actually feel as frustrated as Hattie portrayed her as feeling.

If all of this impersonation silliness at least gets us a few scenes of John and Marlena openly discussing their relationship frankly it will be worth it.

I came across a clip on YouTube years ago of Wayne as Roman getting into something of a tense discussion with Marlena in a hotel room because she had to go off to some conference and he was frustrated with the distance that was growing between them. I don't remember all the details but I do remember thinking "this doesn't seem like a Days of Our Lives episode at all!" It's rare that this show delves into subtle relationship issues. Most of the time it seems to just want to hit the tropes with a sledgehammer and then be on to the next cliche thing.

It would have been really great if a little of that subtlety had been present in the Theresa Brady storyline. His relationship with Kristen was obviously based on sex and Brady's grief and Kristen being a fantastic manipulator (and all of the characters being incredibly stupid to facilitate the story as well.) Maybe if while redeeming Theresa, they had showed that Brady feels powerless in life and is drawn to the reckless behavior that makes Theresa so engaging and then resolved that by having Theresa and Brady be wild in certain aspects of their life but not in others, we would have seen them grow together as a couple instead of just be smushed together as Theresa was reformed into a more responsible character via her business and son.

Is Ron known for writing subtle character shifts? Or should we hope to see Sherri push that angle?

Honestly I haven't really been a John and Marlena fan since he got really cold towards her during Kristen's return. That he even went through with the divorce when his entire seduction of Kristen was a ruse made little sense to me and I was especially appalled that he didn't show more warmth to Marlena after she spent months at his bedside while he was in a coma. They may have tried to redeem him by writing these sappy scenes with the two of them kissing and making love declarations, but for me I really need to see John and Marlena have an honest maybe even slightly ugly conversation about how messed up the relationship has been in the past and why.

.... not that it will be easy for Ron to try and make sense of the last 5 years of fragmented storytelling.

That was Sherry Anderson at her best. She always did subtleties in a way that brought the issues home.   She wrote that awesome Roman/Marlena/John triangle. I felt bad for all involved...The fallout from that gave us stories for years. I hope that Sherry can guide Ron in his characterizations.  I do feel that this Hattie storyline is a repeat of Samantha locking Marlena in the looney bin and taking over her life.. I do feel that the issues  that you highlighted between Marlena and John like many couples in this show were created by incompetent writers like Tomsell that did not understand them and gave us bad stories.. I hated that Bo and Steve were written off as deadbeat dads..

• Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, JBC344 said:

God, you hit the nail on the head.  Subtlety has been something I have wanted Days to adapt for years now.  I'm someone who really enjoys the over the top storylines sometimes but also remember in the 90's how they were also mixed with real everyday issues that help keep Days interesting/relatable.  I would much rather see John and Marlena finally address their relationship issues than have another adventure/kidnapping storyline for them.

For example, one storyline that I really loved was when Bo and Hope separated not because of another person but because of how each of them dealt with Ciara's kidnapping when she was a child and how that affected their marriage.  That to me was way more interesting and compelling than bringing in a third party for another triangle.  I found that storyline so realistic and actually relatable without resorting to making either one of them the "bad guy". 

Hopefully the new writing will have more of that.

Those are the kinds of conflicts and stories that interest me too... in the past they were married much more smartly to plot devices like adventure/kidnapping, but I would take them on their own.  I'm not convinced that a lot of the audience I see on social media would, though.  There have been some layers of these conflicts in recent stories, including Bo and Hope's break up, that seemed to be roundly rejected.  Part of the problem of what to do with the supercouples is that even when they are broken up and it's not just about interlopers, there seems to be an impatience out there that they should just be together and resolve the conflict.  For me, the conflict is the part I want to enjoy.

Edited by lska
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

And Eduardo. And John (Dad/husband hybrid).

Eduardo does not count. Lol..  I was talking about  the male portion the supercouples who would never abandon their children.

Edited by Apprentice79
1 minute ago, lska said:

Those are the kinds of conflicts and stories that interest me too... in the past they were married much more smartly to plot devices like adventure/kidnapping, but I would take them on their own.  I'm not convinced that a lot of the audience I see on social media would, though.  There have been some layers of these conflicts in recent stories that seemed to be roundly rejected.

Marlena being put in the pit by that psycho Stella worked on so many levels because it reaffirmed the bond between John and Marlena.  Something that they were both trying to suppress.  It was a preview of what was to come with their affair. Sherry was so good at planting a seed and letting it grow. Nothing was by chance and had meaning that you would understand down the line.

CDL is the equivalent of those "Bigfoot Marries Elvis on Planet Venus!" rags. But apparently Jamey Giddens alluded to this and this site "confirms" it. Other posts I have read say TC started following Greg Meng.

So maybe there is truth to this one. And I can see TPTB wanting to maybe grab viewers who are hoping for a reunion of sorts between Tyler Christopher and Stephen Nichols (who were uncle/nephew on GH; ironically, Greg Vaughan also played his half brother there and Mary Beth Evans was his older lover!).

So we'll see.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I will give Brady, but, not Eric. I don't think that Eric is too old...

Greg Vaughan was born in 1973; Eric was born in 1984. I'd say it's a lot older! YMMV, though!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

True...I feel that Alex Kiriakis should not be Eric's contemporary..lol

LOL! True. But consider EJ was freaking born in, what, 1997? And ended up older than Phillip. Eric, Shawn Douglas, and Brady. Heck, even Belle seems "too old" now under Martha Madison, no offense to her.

But with Anjelique back on canvas, I don't rule Alex out.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I was thinking about that, because I remember a mention that Sonny did about he and Alex sharing a room when they were kids.

Alex was born in 1988, the twins Joseph and Victor JR.  were born in 1990 and Sonny was born offscreen in 1991.  Adrienne left pregnant with Sonny.. He was her miracle baby..

Edited by Apprentice79
(edited)
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

LOL! True. But consider EJ was freaking born in, what, 1997? And ended up older than Phillip. Eric, Shawn Douglas, and Brady. Heck, even Belle seems "too old" now under Martha Madison, no offense to her.

But with Anjelique back on canvas, I don't rule Alex out.

I know what you mean, I just wished that the show would age the kids in the order that they were born.  Shawn-Douglas and Belle should never have been contemporaries.. The show de-aged him while aging her too much.. For me,  Noelle Curtis, Carrie and Max Brady should have been the oldest of the legacy children, followed by Eric, Sami, Andrew, Shawn-Douglas, Alex Kiriakis, then Stefanie, Jeannie, The Kiriakis twins, Sonny, Brady, Abigail, Belle, Philip,  EJ, Will, Benjamin Carver, Theo,  JJ, Zack, Joey.   I know that I am missing some people..lol I did not mention Chelsea because she should have never existed..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, carrier76 said:

Is Alex Kiriakis some miracle character? He gets mentioned on here a lot for someone I have not seen onscreen and have barely heard of since I started watching in the mid 90s.

I think it is more the fact that his paternity and eventual custody was a huge storyline back in the day and was the culmination of the Anjelica/Justin/Adrienne triangle.  Now  that we have had Justin and Adrienne back on the canvas for a while and Sonny is a full fledged character it tends to bring up Alex.  Compounded now by the fact that Anjelica is back on the show and one of her major grips is her strained relationship with Alex. 

It also feeds into the larger discussion about how Days has a lot of past characters and especially "legacy children" whom they can bring back as well as viable males, whom up until the last few years they were pretty sparse on.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, Apprentice79 said:

I know what you mean, I just wished that the show would age the kids in the order that they were born.  Shawn-Douglas and Belle should never have been contemporaries.. The show de-aged him while aging her too much.. For me,  Noelle Curtis, Carrie and Max Brady should have been the oldest of the legacy children, followed by Eric, Sami, Andrew, Shawn-Douglas, Alex Kiriakis, then Stefanie, Jeannie, The Kiriakis twins, Sonny, Brady, Abigail, Belle, Philip,  EJ, Will, Benjamin Carver, Theo,  JJ, Zack, Joey.   I know that I am missing some people..lol I did not mention Chelsea because she should have never existed..

So funny you mention Benjamin Carver.  The last few months I have thought about Days bringing him back, especially with Will coming back now.  I thought a cool plot would of been for Benjy Carver to be the one to bring Will back.  Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing Jonah and Wendy back as well.  Did we ever get confirmation who Benjy Carver's father was?  I know it was a plot point with Wendy while she was dating Jonah and was played as her "big secret" but I don't remember if we ever found out before her and Jonah left town.

So funny you mention Benjamin Carver.  The last few months I have thought about Days bringing him back, especially with Will coming back now.  I thought a cool plot would of been for Benjy Carver to be the one to bring Will back.  Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing Jonah and Wendy back as well.  Did we ever get confirmation who Benjy Carver's father was? 

Wasan't it an important plot point that Benjy was Stefano's son, because he was kidnapped and brought back in order to provide organ transplants for Stefano?  And According to Wikipedia, Benjy was murdered by Andre.

20 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Wasan't it an important plot point that Benjy was Stefano's son, because he was kidnapped and brought back in order to provide organ transplants for Stefano?  And According to Wikipedia, Benjy was murdered by Andre.

Lol, that was Benjy Dimera, we were talking about Benjamin (Benjy) Carver.  He is Jonah and Wendy Carver's son. Jonah is Abe's little brother he used to be on the show in the 90's. Jonah and Austin were best friends.  Lark Voorhies (Lisa from Saved By the Bell) played Wendy Jonah's girlfriend. Wendy already had Benjamin (Benjy) when she met and started dating Jonah.   I believe they were married before they left Salem together in the 90's.

Benjy Dimera is Stefano's son, Lexie's brother, foster son to Kayla and Steve.  Yes, he was murdered by Andre the last time he was on the show.  EJ was actually the son brought back to impregnate Sami for stem cells for Stefano. 

I know a little confusing.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Lark Voorhies (Lisa from Saved By the Bell) played Wendy Jonah's girlfriend. Wendy already had Benjamin (Benjy) when she met and started dating Jonah.   I believe they were married before they left Salem together in the 90's.

Lark was Wendy #1. Tammy Townsend was Wendy #2. I remember Tammy so much because she was dating Jay Leno's band leader Kevin Eubanks at the time and that fact was brought up on The Tonight Show a few times. Especially since The Tonight Show taped in the studio next door to Days at the time. IMDB says Yvonna Kopacz Wright filled in for Tammy for what looks like a couple weeks back then. Tammy and Kevin even made it onto the cover of Ebony with him being in a tank top due to what looks like them choosing a bad photo to use for that collage.

Kevin-Eubanks-Tammy-1996.PNG

Edited by Jaded
6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Lark was Wendy #1. Tammy Townsend was Wendy #2. I remember Tammy so much because she was dating Jay Leno's band leader Kevin Ubanks at the time and that fact was brought up on The Tonight Show a few times. Especially since The Tonight Show taped in the studio next door to Days at the time. IMDB says Yvonna Kopacz Wright filled in for Tammy for what looks like a couple weeks back then.

Lol, now that you mention it I do remember Tammy Townsend, whom I like coming in toward the end there.  Bring back Jonah, Wendy and Benjamin Carver.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

THAT's why EJ came to town? Wowsers.

Why was he so loyal to a father he grew up without?

Yeah, back then EJ was Sami's cute friendly British neighbor whom she was forging a friendship with.

EJ actually did grow between Stefano and Susan.  Well "grew up" considering the SORAS.  During the Alice Horton death storyline it was revealed that Stefano did find EJ and Susan when he was still young.  In fact EJ was sick as a toddler and Alice was using her connections in the medical community to secretly help Susan and Stefano find a doctor who could help EJ.  According to EJ he grew up going between Stefano and Susan/Edmund.

When Kristen returned she later corroborated that Stefano learned that she wasn't the one who took EJ and disappeared, which was the original plan back when Kristen decided to impersonate Susan, marry Edmund and steal baby EJ.  When he found out that she wasn't the one who took EJ he went searching for her and was able to rescue her from the harem, which is why she came back to Salem because she felt that she owed him for saving her.

On 7/22/2017 at 11:29 PM, Apprentice79 said:

Emma was very open about her role in Andrew's kidnapping because she knew that  Shane, Kim and Victor could never prove it. Emma was very diabolical.  Her hatred of Kim was pathological.  She used to call Andrew , the little bastard.  Emma had switched a blood test that Kim had done secretly and named Victor as the father, to break Kim  and Shane up. When Kim and Shane got back together after Andrew's birth.  Shane delivered him at a cabin.  That is a Days trope, to have fathers deliver their kids.  Jack, John, Shane and Sonny all did that.  There were more characters that did that as well, but,   I digress.  Shane had agreed to raise the baby as his son. Kim and Shane called him Andrew Shawn Donovan.  Andrew like Shawn-Douglas was named after his grandfathers.  Emma became enraged and plotted revenge.   Emma tricked Kim in giving up rights to Andrew. I forgot how she did that.  Emma took Andrew to Cleveland, coincidentally that is where Kayla lived. Kayla was actually on the same plane as Emma and Andrew. To keep Kayla from running into Andrew at the hospital where she worked, she hired a thug named Steve Johnson to scare Kayla out of town.  Steve had no idea that he inadvertently helped Emma's evil scheme from being exposed. Steve would later rectify that and it would backfire..

Emma kept on taunting Kim, Shane and Victor about Andrew's location, for months.  Kim threatened to kill Emma at a party in front of the whole town. Emma was later found dead and Kim was promptly arrested.  Kim was tried and convicted for her murder. Eventually, Kim and Shane found out that it was Shane's ISA partner who set Kim up for Emma's murder. She had killed Emma in order to set Kim up, to get Shane for herself.. Shane like Steve has always had Psychos wanting him..

Another little nugget of info, Emma was believed to be dead for years. Her death haunted Shane, it was why he had built a wall around himself, until he met Kim.  Kim and Shane were all about the walls that  each had built to keep others out.   So, Emma was part of their dynamic, even before she came back.  The same thing for Steve and Kayla. Jack was part of their story before he came into town..  Emma came back from the dead at Bo and Hope's  first wedding in England and tried to kill them. We later found out that she was kidnapped and brainwashed by the dragon who faked her death. He was a  criminal that Bo, Hope, Kim and Shane were tracking.   Once she came back, Kim and Shane broke up because she was the love of Shane's life...She came back to Salem with Shane. Marlena and Kim helped her recover. She was a sympathetic character at first, then, she became a villainess...Hurricane Emma was evil and even in death, she was still torturing Kim.. She died knowing where Andrew was...

That was one of my favorite storylines. Another great part of Emma's murder was the red herring that got Kim out of prison. It was at first believed that Barbara Stewart killed Emma. Paul and Barbara Stewart had adopted Andrew. Barbara wanted to keep the truth about Andrew from being revealed. Shane figured the whole thing out and Barbara was killed I think in a car wreck. Kim was released from prison and reunited with Andrew.  The real killer was Shane's ISA partner Gillian Forrester. Gillian had her twin sister Grace impersonate her at a New Years Party while Gillian killed Emma. Gillian and Grace were played by real life identical twin sisters. It's actually the last murder mystery I enjoyed on Days

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Star Aristille said:

Something I hope is real!  Ron would do her justice, I think!

Maybe she can smack some sense into her nephew.  I have always loved their scenes.  Lawrence and John were so different but Vivian was able to have "loving" relationships with both of them.  She certainly coddled Lawrence which fed into his evilness, and always admired John for his "goodness".

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tawny411 said:

That was one of my favorite storylines. Another great part of Emma's murder was the red herring that got Kim out of prison. It was at first believed that Barbara Stewart killed Emma. Paul and Barbara Stewart had adopted Andrew. Barbara wanted to keep the truth about Andrew from being revealed. Shane figured the whole thing out and Barbara was killed I think in a car wreck. Kim was released from prison and reunited with Andrew.  The real killer was Shane's ISA partner Gillian Forrester. Gillian had her twin sister Grace impersonate her at a New Years Party while Gillian killed Emma. Gillian and Grace were played by real life identical twin sisters. It's actually the last murder mystery I enjoyed on Days

Don't forget that Shane and Kim figured it out that it was Gillian that killed Emma and framed Kim. I always loved it when Kim and Shane worked together to bring down an enemy. It was what drew them together in the first place, but, I digress.   So, Kim pretended to date Paul while Shane did the same with Gillian.  Paul fell in love with Kim during their ruse.  There were a bunch of hilarious scenes with Kim and Shane sneaking around to have sex and almost getting caught by Gillian. On the day that Shane was to marry Gillian, the truth came out and Grace came with an alive Kim and exposed Gillian's scheme to the world.  Gillian had tried to kill Kim and thought that she did. Shane and Kim got married after the reveal on the same day.  It is why Kim and Shane did not have a lavish wedding like the other supercouples.  It was still beautiful.  I did love their vow renewal, a year later, at the Donovan manor with Eve and Andrew in attendance.  

7 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I did love their vow renewal, a year later, at the Donovan manor with Eve and Andrew in attendance.  

I thought they'd been divorced by the time Andrew was back.  Or was it around the time Theresa came along that they were over?

Cal ruined Kim's life with Shane. He switched the blood test to make himself the father of Jeannie.  This broke up Kim and Shane for good.  I don't know why the writers redid the Paternity thing with Jeannie. Kim and Shane were ruined at the time.  Cal tricked Kim into shooting Shane, thinking that he was a burglar.  The writing was awful. Not to mention, that Shane was dating Kayla after his divorce. Cal did tell Kayla the truth about Jeannie's paternity, but said nothing in order to hold onto Shane.

19 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Maybe she can smack some sense into her nephew.  I have always loved their scenes.  Lawrence and John were so different but Vivian was able to have "loving" relationships with both of them.  She certainly coddled Lawrence which fed into his evilness, and always admired John for his "goodness".

Wait, I thought John is no longer an Alamain due to one of the 512,789,234,012 rewrites of his past?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wait, I thought John is no longer an Alamain due to one of the 512,789,234,012 rewrites of his past?

I think that was an actual "mistake" with the writing.  The scene where John said he wasn't an Alamain I think was him venting his frustration about his convoluted past.  John's paternity doesn't actually affect him being an Alamain since he was adopted.  Philomena and Leopold being his adoptive parents doesn't change, just what brought him to them. 

His really only sensible retcon was him being Daphne's son which made him Philomena's nephew before she and Leopold adopted him.

Then he was Ryan Brady (Colleen Brady and Santo Dimera's son) before adopted by Philomena and Leopold.

John was always adopted the only thing that changes with the rewrites is his biological paternity.

Edited by JBC344
6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

They rewrote what I think was the most recent change in John's paternity so Brady and Theresa could be a couple.

Yeah that was the last rewrite with John being Colleen and Santo's son.  A year and a half storyline undone with one scene so Brady and Theresa can be a couple. I personally preferred when John was Daphne's son, but didn't mind him being a Dimera.

With the way it all worked out they should of had Brady and Theresa as best friends/cousins.  They didn't end up together anyway and Tate is really an afterthought.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

Yeah that was the last rewrite with John being Colleen and Santo's son.  A year and a half storyline undone with one scene so Brady and Theresa can be a couple. I personally preferred when John was Daphne's son, but didn't mind him being a Dimera.

With the way it all worked out they should of had Brady and Theresa as best friends/cousins.  They didn't end up together anyway and Tate is really an afterthought.

I too preferred John being Daphne's son and it made perfect sense in why Stefano hated John. I would have preferred for John to have been Roman all along. Rumor has it that Sherry Anderson never wanted to make John a fake Roman she was forced to do it by the producers at the time.  However, when Deidre agreed to come back to the show, she wanted Wayne to come back as Roman and the show acquiesced to her request. In hindsight, it was a bad decision, this is why Actors should act and writers should write..

I really can't think of any more egregious example of fucked up SORAS than EJ, who was born AFTER Will, becoming Will's 30-something stepdad when he was still a teenager. I get why the show was reluctant to SORAS Will (he was only a few years older than he was supposed to be) being that Ali was so young but wow, that was mindbending to me.

I did kind of love the weird, fucked up obsession that EJ had with Sami back in '06-'07, though. Just because it was funny to see Sami get to be on the other side of an obsessive love interest giving her never-ending obsession for Austin back in the 90's.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I really can't think of any more egregious example of fucked up SORAS than EJ, who was born AFTER Will, becoming Will's 30-something stepdad when he was still a teenager. I get why the show was reluctant to SORAS Will (he was only a few years older than he was supposed to be) being that Ally was so young but wow, that was mindbending to me.

I did kind of love the weird, fucked up obsession that EJ had with Sami back in '06-'07, though. Just because it was funny to see Sami get to be on the other side of an obsessive love interest.

The show never made a correlation on the show between Sami's obsession with Austin and EJ's obsession with her.. It could have given Sami perspective on her past destructive behavior and really created a real sister relationship with her and Carrie..

12 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

The show never made a correlation on the show between Sami's obsession with Austin and EJ's obsession with her.. It could have given Sami perspective on her past destructive behavior and really created a real sister relationship with her and Carrie..

I always felt like the EJami era was the show trying to force Sami into this box as the rootable heroine instead of the grey bitch with a secret heart of gold that worked so well for her for the decade previous. Therefore, they turned Sami into EJ's victim instead of acknowledging the fucked up shit she did to Austin. (Who...wow, poor Patrick Muldoon and his craggy former surfer boy face. The other one aged well but he's as dumb as a box of rocks according to one fan encounter I had with him.) Theresa should have carried that mantle but the show can't seem to write bad girls with a secret heart of gold anymore without making them totally reprehensible.

I do remember being hopeful with Teen Ciara because I liked the audition that she had, where it seemed like they were going to go with the interpretation of Ciara being this fun, bratty little spoiled girl who used her wiles to get what she wanted. Then we got what we got instead...it's like you either have to be the Madonna or the Whore and there's no grey between when it comes to how they write the young ladies on this show now. Sami's 1990's storylines would never happen on this version of Days.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Theresa should have carried that mantle but the show can't seem to write bad girls with a secret heart of gold anymore without making them totally reprehensible.

I think they redeemed Theresa pretty well but MV.

• Love 1

There was at one point where they were putting Sami and Chelsea together a lot, it seemed like they were grooming her to follow the "Sami" terrain. 

3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I always thought the reason Sami was able to forgive EJ was because of what she did to Austin.  I would of been nice to see that explored more.  Maybe if Sami and EJ are part of Days in the future they can do it through the twins specifically.  I remember on GH they had the "Luke and Laura rape" storyline brought up twice when each of their children found out about it and dealt with it.  Lucky finding out about the rape was a much better storyline than when Lulu did, but it was a good way to address history.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I always thought the reason Sami was able to forgive EJ was because of what she did to Austin.  I would of been nice to see that explored more.  Maybe if Sami and EJ are part of Days in the future they can do it through the twins specifically.  I remember on GH they had the "Luke and Laura rape" storyline brought up twice when each of their children found out about it and dealt with it.  Lucky finding out about the rape was a much better storyline than when Lulu did, but it was a good way to address history.

Sami and EJ did talk about that night in the car and she brought up what she did to Austin just before they spent the night and conceived Sydney. They agreed to move on from that night and I think she essentially did forgive him because they never did talk about it again.

I do wonder what the twins  think about them having different fathers. While EJ always treated Allie as one of his own children, I can barely remember Lucas having scenes with Johnny and Sydney except for the month or so Lumi got together when he came back from Hong Kong. After Sami left Salem with the children, all the children have been raised by their mother only. I

5 hours ago, nilyank said:

Sami and EJ did talk about that night in the car and she brought up what she did to Austin just before they spent the night and conceived Sydney. They agreed to move on from that night and I think she essentially did forgive him because they never did talk about it again.

I do wonder what the twins  think about them having different fathers. While EJ always treated Allie as one of his own children, I can barely remember Lucas having scenes with Johnny and Sydney except for the month or so Lumi got together when he came back from Hong Kong. After Sami left Salem with the children, all the children have been raised by their mother only. I

Thanks.  I thought there was a conversation somewhere in their history but I couldn't remember so wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking.

I don't remember any specific scenes but I always felt like Lucas was very fond of all the children.  Even though EJ was their father I felt liked Lucas loved them because they were Sami's children.  One of the things I always loved was that outside of Ally living with Lucas in Hong Kong for a little while the kids were very much treated like a "unit".  There wasn't much separation of them, and everyone involved seemed to respect their sibling relationship especially between the twins. 

Speaking of kids and Lucas one of my favorite scenes was when Jordan's old friend was dating Lucas and she ran into him, Allie, and Rafe.  It was revealed that Lucas was allowing Rafe and Allie to spend time together and that it was a regular thing.  It was a small scene but just spoke volumes about how far Lucas has come as a man and a father compared to when Will was Allie's age. 

It also reminded me that with all the drama between John/Marlena/Roman the one thing that they did inexplicably right was raising all the kids as "siblings" and to respect that.  The relationship between Sami/Eric/Brady that we got two years ago, the way Belle considers Carrie her sister, John's regard for Carrie, Eric, Sami (history notwithstanding).

• Love 2
On 7/29/2017 at 7:36 PM, Silver Raven said:

Oops. Sorry

On 8/5/2017 at 0:08 AM, JBC344 said:

Speaking of kids and Lucas one of my favorite scenes was when Jordan's old friend was dating Lucas and she ran into him, Allie, and Rafe.  It was revealed that Lucas was allowing Rafe and Allie to spend time together and that it was a regular thing.  It was a small scene but just spoke volumes about how far Lucas has come as a man and a father compared to when Will was Allie's age. 

I, too loved that. 

• Love 2

Call me petty but I don't love that. Yes Lucas is great and has evolved as a father/man but when Rafe came on for Sami I felt like he was marginalized as a father with Allie and still was especially when Sami jetted off to L. A. with her kids including Allie. I am an unapologetic Lucas fan and hate that he didn't get to raise Allie all the way. I'm assuming she's going to be age with with her peers, Ciara and Theo? 

• Love 1