Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Michael & Chanelle

I think that they used the same rented house for Michael's initial interview as they did for Christina's post-confrontation confrontation.   She welcomes them in, but the banister and paint color seemed familiar.  

I

Was

Working hard at a New York job

Making dough but it made me blue

One day I was crying a lot

And so I decided to move to

West Covina, California!

Brand-new pals and new career

It happens to be where Josh lives

But that’s not why I’m here!

This was like a real life Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I half expected someone to break out into song. I'm thinking that Christina is the Rebecca Bunch of the group. Stacey is clearly Paula. And Larrya is Dr. Dreamghost Akopian?!? Or maybe Mrs. Hernandez?!?

So Christina was battling postpartum depression, sees an Instagram pic of Michael, remembers the good times when they dated at 16, decides to reconnect with him by catfishing him while she's aided by her two friends one of whom is a married lady. And because Christina is a real life Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Michael can only shake his head and ask why she couldn't have contacted him in a normal way.

The two things I'm left to wonder is 1. why Christina's two friends, Larrya and Stacey, were supportive of and assisted her in this mess especially as health care professionals who could have referred her to counseling and 2. was the show using an airbnb as Michael's "house?" I was very distracted by the bent wood chandelier in the dining room. It just seemed like an unlikely choice for two twenty year old dudes in Philly.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

I was SURE that Larrya was going to go back to the car to "get" Chanelle and come back confessing, sans wig/glasses. Christina has some real ride or die friends. All of this over a 2 month relationship when you were 16?

I don't know if you watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. If you do, this is the exact premise of that show. The protagonist, a depressed sucessful New York lawyer, decides to blow up her life for her ex-boyfriend at summer camp when she was 16.

I thought Larrya was going to come back from the car with a puppet, or a cat, or a dog, or something whose name is Chanelle. I was really surprised when it turned out to be a real person. 

So we got another episode where it's someone the guy had dated, I hope we don't keep getting this over & over.

Did they do a follow up? My DVR cut out after they talked to Michael again.

I do believe this is the first time the person who was catfished elected not go back to see the person with Nev and Max to hear the catfisher's reasoning for messing with his emotions for 8 months. I think he put it this way, " no, no, no, I don't want to see her and I don't think there's nothing she can say to make me feel otherwise." Good for him. A real reaction to something which to him made no sense in the first place. I lol'ed when Michael knitted his eyebrows together in a frown when Nev was explaining that Chanelle was in a bad place and reached out to him when she saw is pix on Instagram since they were so close. Michael's face said, so close? We dated for 2 mos when we were in high school.

For GaT, who asked, the follow up was no final face chat just the words - Michael is avoiding online dating for now while he focuses on his job and son. Christina is putting her energy into a blog that helps women get through postpartum depression. And that, my friend, was that.

• Love 2

Once I got over the weirdness of watching Nev and Max drive through my neighborhood, I liked this one. Especially because Michael didn't play couch and hug at the end. He was very mature about the whole thing, but unwilling to be wheedled into that fake nonsense. Go Michael! 

• Love 7

@jenrising I missed this episode and now wish I didn't! The recap confused me, though - did Michael really say she was from the north side of West Philly, or from northwest of Philly? Because finding out someone was actually from Lansdale would not fit the West Philly narrative like the recapper said... but maybe I'm nitpicking too much from familiarity with the area :)

• Love 1

@jenrising I missed this episode and now wish I didn't! The recap confused me, though - did Michael really say she was from the north side of West Philly, or from northwest of Philly? Because finding out someone was actually from Lansdale would not fit the West Philly narrative like the recapper said... but maybe I'm nitpicking too much from familiarity with the area :)

I just went to the website to check this, and it definitely says "the north side of west philly" which is very strange. Now, it could just be this is a fake email, like the fake texts they do, but it doesn't make any sense for anyone who lives here to say that. And, technically, "Michael's house" is in northwest philly. So, makes even less sense. 

Anyway, it's really funny because now I wonder if there are a lot of these seemingly pointless wrong things in other cities.

The high point of this episode for me was the guys trying to do the theme from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I never saw the show much, but using a rap that has the main character taking a cab from Philadelphia to L.A. made it memorable.

• Love 1

For GaT, who asked, the follow up was no final face chat just the words - Michael is avoiding online dating for now while he focuses on his job and son. Christina is putting her energy into a blog that helps women get through postpartum depression. And that, my friend, was that.

Thanks! I can't imagine why this episode ran long.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

The high point of this episode for me was the guys trying to do the theme from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I never saw the show much, but using a rap that has the main character taking a cab from Philadelphia to L.A. made it memorable.

he flew to LA and then took a cab. It's all there in the song and credits which I just assumed everyone knew by now.
  • Love 1

I can't find it online right now, but there were two versions of the credits. One that does cut out the middle part of the song, so it does seem like he goes from being in Philly, to "whistling for a cab" to Bel Air.

Just kidding.

Here's the full version: 

Here the shorter one: 

Edited by jenrising