Type keyword(s) to search

Christina Aguilera: The Voice Of Her Generation

• Start Topic

So with Xtina being preggers and all, do you think she'll return to The Voice next season? Not to bash or to be hurtful  in any way, her career is not what it used to be.

Edited by Lily Adler

I sincerely hope NOT!  Shakira is 10 times funnier, smarter and cuter than Xtina, and seems to be having a blast (whereas it seemed a chore for Xtina at times).

I love the current group and I wish they would be permanent (with Usher's hat as a 5th judge in case of a tie).

I don't know Pherral at all -- he might be a good judge.

I don't think she really got into the banter.  Shakira is able to hold her own (I love how she uses words -- correctly -- that boggle the other judges).  And she's able to quip back without being mean.

Moreover, I don't think Xtina ever put together a great "team".  I won't stop watching if she's a judge -- I just don't think she's the best they can get.

I've grown to enjoy Christina, a lot.  I miss her.  I would like a season with BOTH Christina and Shakira.

Watching her take notes and try to say something that wasn't too critical was a lot of fun...sometimes the best part of the show, for me.  And I would pay real money to hear what she was really thinking.  On the other hand, listening to her talk about her own contestants was sometimes uncomfortable.  I have to say, she is the least able to sell well.  But, on the other other hand, I think she has been getting better across the seasons at putting together a balanced persona, and it has been  fascinating to watch her develop it, even if there have been some stumbles.

Also, I truly respect her vocal ability and I like listening to her coach.

The biggest downside to Christina, and it is significant, is that I usually don't like her taste in contestants (except Matthew Shuler from season 5).  And she tends to coach them to be very loud, which makes them worse, to my ears.  So, she's definitely a mixed bag.

But all in all, I like her and I hope she comes back.

• Love 3

I like my reality shows with a dose of unexpected drama, so Xtina really served during the first few seasons mainly through her "feud" with Tony Lucca and Adam, and her dramatic weight gain/loss, her wailing performances, and her tacky fashion. Shakira is a nice gal but she doesn't bring the drama like Xtina can. So I hope she comes back, if only to stir up some shit.

I hate that Shakira and Christina have the "versus" thing going on with audiences, it comes across as the usual trying to force women into competition with one another. I agree with ToxicUnicorn--I'd LOVE to see Christina and Shakira on the show at the same time. It'd be nice if they developed a camaraderie similar to Blake and Adam.

I will say I prefer Christina, but I also love Shakira's personality--she's a total sweetheart. I love that Christina puts all the other judges on edge, especially seeing how they've been so dismissive of Shakira this season. Although I wouldn't say she's necessarily the greatest mentor, mainly because I believe she takes too much control away from the contestant (I believe Blake is the only judge I'd choose for the simple fact that he only helps you do what you want), I do appreciate that she's one of the few judges who I could trust to critique vocals. I've been wondering if she could ever manage to win since I thought Chris Mann was easily the best contestant season 2 and she came in fourth, I believe?

I'll be interested to see how Christina acts when/if she returns now that Cee Lo Green won't be there with her. She always seemed to be closest to Cee Lo, so I believe she'll be slightly out-of-sorts without him there to bounce off. When I first heard Usher was coming on, I was hoping they'd be on the same year together. That said, I have a feeling they would butt heads considering they both have the diva going on. She would be better with Pharrell, he seems easy-going.

• Love 1

Now that she is being replaced by Gwen Stefani for season 7, I wonder if she will be back at all in the future. I would like to see more than 1 female coach per season but it probably won't happen.

I thought Christina improved a lot her last season on the show.  It may have helped that she finally had a contender and one she could identify with.  I don't think she necessarily did a particularly bad coaching job in previous seasons.  She made her fair share of mistakes, but mainly just never had a particularly strong team.  The only reason she reached the final the first two seasons was that they had 4 finalists and all four coaches were guaranteed one of them. 

In retrospect, I think part of my resentment of Christina came from this fact; particularly in Season 2 where I felt Jamar was robbed of a well deserved place in the final by the way the show was structured.  But of course this wasn't her fault.  I actually was mostly on her side in that whole mess between her and Adam/Tony that season.  This still doesn't excuse the way she was so selective in picking on Adam's contestants in Season 3, but I guess I feel she redeemed herself somewhat in Season 5.  I just hope its the Season 5 Xtina that shows up in Season 8.

I'd take Shakira over both Gwen and Christina. If we can't get Shakira back and I am guessing we can't, I'd like another new female artist. I think Gwen excels at picking songs for her contestants and has helped her contestants improve, but she is so damn boring on the coaching panel and she doesn't have any chemistry with Blake or Adam. Christina is such an asshole on the panel, but is interesting at least and she has good chemistry with Blake. She clashes with Adam horribly though. And I think she turns her team into mini-Christinas and has them all oversing crappy ballads.

As for the title of the thread, I'd say Kelly Clarkson is the voice of their generation. She has so much more control over her instrument and has not damaged her voice to the extent that Christina has. Adele is probably too young to be included in their generation or I'd rank her above Christina as well.

Gwen is outstanding, all round. IMO. Fantastic coach. You could honestly see dramatic improvement from all of her contestants.  And I actually really enjoy her on the panel even if she's a bit blunt. 

Shakira is my favorite personality, easily. And I'd take her and Usher back, every season, in a heartbeat..despite loving Gwen so much. But she doesn't have the ear for talent that Gwen does (which allowed Gwen to have front runners despite being at a disadvantage in the blinds), nor do her contestants improve to the extent that Gwen's or some of Christina's do. And her decision making is on par with Adam's. 

Christina's a great coach. But she's not that great on the panel. I do like her though.

And I guess I'm in the minority in saying that I've always liked all the women coaching. 

Like many others, I wish they can have 2 female coaches together in 1 season instead of the 2 white male, 1 black male, 1 female panel they always go with. Would be cool to have Gwen Stefani, Xtina, along with Adam and Blake, but I don't think that will ever happen.

• Love 1
(edited)

From the snippets they've shown of the upcoming battle rounds, Christina looks very different and I don't think it's just hair and make-up.  She definitely lost some weight which was to be expected post-baby but it looks to me as if she might have had some work done between the blinds and the battles.  Looking quickly, I thought she was Kellie Pickler!

Edited for a typo.

Edited by ProudMary

From the snippets they've shown of the upcoming battle rounds, Christina looks very different and I don't think it's just hair and make-up.  She definitely lost some weight which was to be expected post-baby but it looks to me as if she might have had some work done between the blinds and the battles.  Looking quickly, I thought she was Kellie Pickler!

Edited for a typo.

It's actually a lot of makeup. Her makeup artists tend to try and do tricks to either narrow her nose or enhance her cheekbones. If you look between her eyes you can actually see the contour lines. (I think they put too much on her. She's so beautiful natural.) 

• Love 1

On the battle rounds her makeup was changed considerably.  She went to a more natural eye - eye shadow. 

I am really liking Christina this season and honestly in previous seasons I wished she would never come back.

I'm glad she got rid of the attitude and is actually having fun.

Edited by gunderda

I like Christina a lot this season, too. She and Adam seem like they've been in couples therapy and it worked. I love her (current) combination of "musical knowledge" + enthusiasm/good-natured scrappiness + ability to attract people to her team. She's actually become one of my favorite coaches and I never thought I'd say that.

I like Christina a lot this season, too. She and Adam seem like they've been in couples therapy and it worked. I love her (current) combination of "musical knowledge" + enthusiasm/good-natured scrappiness + ability to attract people to her team. She's actually become one of my favorite coaches and I never thought I'd say that.

It seems like she's not taking any of the ribbing the guys are doing personally anymore.  Adam's also been less obnoxious towards her, but Blake made an interesting comment the other day that she's just not letting them get under her skin anymore.  I think she's realized that she shouldn't take what the guys say so seriously and that the teasing stuff is in fun.

I've always liked Christina and agree she has found her sweet spot this season.  This season's panel (A-P-C-B) is the best set of judges yet.  

I feel like Adam has changed more than Christina, though.  In Season 1, I got the feeling he was either insincere or defensive or flat-out jealous, when he said things like "she's the voice of our generation".  Now, it seems as though he truly respects her.  And I wouldn't be surprised if she respects both Blake and him more - as fellow vocalists - as well.  

I love the fact that Adam, Christina, and Blake are all clearly competitive but have found a way to be good sports.  (Not convinced Pharrell has much competitive spirit, yet.).

I suspect watching the other female coaches was educational for her as well. Seeing how they dealt with the boys. And just being able to watch the show somewhat more as we do, probably gave her more objectivity, and has allowed her to come back with a more playful attitude.

It's nice to see a female coach holding her own in the blinds, although it's interesting that sometimes she's afraid to turn around if she doesn't think she'll have a shot.

I always felt though, that Shakira had the advantage of being with Usher. He's got that "Southern Gentlemen" personality, and I think she had someone on her side. Similar as Gwen and Pharrell..although those two were pretty much blatantly a team.

It probably helps Christina to not be getting crap from all three guys this season too. I'm sure you can only listen to potty humor, sex jokes, and sexist jokes for so long before you crack. Having one of those guys not participating probably helps. 

Well, I suspect that in Christina's world she has been pretty much of a hot house flower/diva for years. Treated preciously. Whereas Gwen was in a band with a bunch of boys since she was in high school. So maybe you are right, maybe their behavior was jarring at first.

• Love 1

Well, I just also remember Carson telling Christina that him, Cee Lo, Blake, and Adam were talking...and they were glad her boobs didn't get smaller when she lost weight. 

There's just no way that Pharrell or Usher would participate in that, IMO. In fact, I remember an interview where Usher was being prodded into saying something like that about Shakira, and he just said she was a very beautiful woman, and left it at that. 

There's just a big difference. Sure, Gwen could probably take it better because she's been around guys...but to me, Pharrell is just someone that gives her a break. :P If you notice the behind the scenes stuff, she actually talks to him a lot. 

*This is not to say that I don't think they are all friends. I do. I just think...a girl needs someone civil around sometimes..you can get overpowered. 

• Love 3

I agree Pharrell and Usher are far more gentlemanly and polite.  I think it makes a big difference especially for someone who may not like the stereotypical "guy humor".  There was a lot of potty humor with the Cee Lo, Adam, Blake crew.

• Love 1