Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Older Cutthroat Canyon

• Start Topic

Fill a metal door with gas, shoot it, and such door will just blow open? Even if it did, without any shrapnel flying around? Seriously, the physics in this show is on comic-book level.

And that goes not only to physics but also to physiology. Somebody who has his jugular torn means that he also losses blood. After a surgery, no matter how great the willpower is, one will not be physically able to go back to running around.

• Love 3

Right Weller, Jane is the reckless one. Go sit down somewhere and stop getting your neck blood all over everything.

Eveytime they threaten to kill a Weller, I'm like you promise?! Don't put it out there and then yank it away.

They keep killing the potentially interesting members of Jane's crew and letting the lame ones live.

• Love 5

Right Weller, Jane is the reckless one. Go sit down somewhere and stop getting your neck blood all over everything.

Especially when he's usually the one in trouble.

They keep killing the potentially interesting members of Jane's crew and letting the lame ones live.

Exactly, and we're left with the least interesting characters with the most screentime.

• Love 3

I swear, I have no idea why Jane keeps sticking around with the FBI, if they're going to keep being assholes to her.  Kurt of all people getting pissed at her for putting herself in danger has got to be the most hilarious thing ever, when he's bleeding out of his neck because he left the hospital practically minutes after he just had life-saving surgery.  And then Mayfair makes sure to keep giving her shit, even though she pretty much lets Kurt walk all over her.  Just give it up, Jane.  Patterson is probably the only one of them that likes you, since Reade is still suspicious, and Zapata is probably too busy getting extorted again to have any opinion on you.

Speaking of Reade, I guess that little scare as now made him break things off with Kurt's sister, because he needs some kind of emotional drama.  They never realize that things like that never help.  The bad guys don't care.  They'll still go after her no matter what their stasis is, because they know he cares about her.

They finally have someone from Jane's crew who is kind of interesting and fun, only to kill him off.  Lame.  Also, so far, Jane's been the only woman in this group, so is it like some kind of boy's club or something?

• Love 3
Fill a metal door with gas, shoot it, and such door will just blow open?

Mythbusters checked out just a bit too early, methinks.

I swear, I have no idea why Jane keeps sticking around with the FBI,....

I had the same moment when Mayfair uttered that "one more thing like that and you're out"  line.  I would have been heading for the door, tossing all my fed gear at her, and saying "Yep.  I'm out.  You already have the tats on screen.  Good luck."

• Love 3

When Weller got it in the neck (jugular, no less, that should be spurting blood like a twisted garden hose), I was shouting HOORAY! because surely the docs will have to shave that gross neck hair so they could patch the hole and sterilize that filthy neck area.

No such luck. Instead, we get full-screen close ups of that grody mess, all those nasty black stubbles filled my tv screen.

SO GROSS.

And yes to all the interesting and fun characters getting knocked off and Weller et. al. continues to survive. What's up with that? That amnesia med must have eaten through Jane's common sense or she would have been gone ages ago. She needs to trust her flashbacks and note that Weller is NOT in any of them.

ETA: It's unfortunate that the artist in this episode was obviously a Banksy rip off, and to top it off, the paintings/graffiti were done in Banksy's style. WTH, show, can't you at least make the artwork in a different style than his? X Files did the same Banksy rip off a few weeks ago.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Also, wouldn't Weller be on major pain meds after life saving surgery? I, too, laughed at that tiny scar that looked like a cat scratch. Since Mayfair IS HIS BOSS, I'm pretty sure she could prevent him from going out on a job. Instead, she just smirks.

I was glad to see other FBI agents out with them instead if the Fantastic Four, who should all be dead by now.

I find this show pretty ridiculous, but I have to know why Jane did all this. We'll played, show. Well played.

• Love 3

Is Cade a Terminator? I mean why the hell not, since Weller seems to have Wolverine's self-healing capacities. I have to give it to them - I had forgotten about the earlier attempt to kill Jane in her apartment - explaining what went on provided some answers but of course not without raising new questions. Yeah, despite all the ridiculous stuff pointed out above well played.

Sometimes this show surprises me with little emotional beats you'd never expect amid the shaky-cam galore. When ZOMO broke down during the interrogation because she basically got her boyfriend killed we got a reaction shot from Patterson and another one from Mayfair.

Reade pulling a Beckett is stupid but we won't have to deal with more of Weller's caveman attitude about his sister's love-life - for the time being at least as I suspect that arc won't be really dropped.

And what exactly is Patterson's function? She's like Abby on NCIS a jack of all forensic trades but at least she got a team - who's never given any lines.

Also, wouldn't Weller be on major pain meds after life saving surgery? I, too, laughed at that tiny scar that looked like a cat scratch. Since Mayfair IS HIS BOSS, I'm pretty sure she could prevent him from going out on a job. Instead, she just smirks.

I'm pretty sure she was counting on him dying. I mean, either she's a complete idiot (which I guess I shouldn't rule out, since IQ doesn't seem particularly high on this show), or it was a very calculated thing to specifically go to the hospital and tell him Jane was missing and in danger, knowing that this would cause him to leave his sickbed. She just didn't count on the magical neckbeard of healing...

I think this show has become my new favorite snark watch! (It's like hate watching, but far more fun.)

• Love 1

Thank dog they haven't killed off Oscar yet. This show is as confusing and nonsensical as Quantico; the only reason I haven't yet abandoned it like Quantico is Francois Arnaud.

It's more boring and bland, whereas Quantico is a convoluted trainwreck that's already winging it in its 1st season.

I know this show has lost me during an episode when I am thinking random, odd things. Like I am thinking dang is Weller part werewolf. I really do like Jane's hair can I get away with a short cut like that. Not a great sign I guess, too bored.

• Love 3

Not much to add, except that I thought Jane worked really well with Tree Tat Guy; it was a nice change of pace to see her apart from the team. They better not kill off Tree Tat.

After all that, Cabe is still alive?? Come on.

• Love 1

ARGH! All of Oscar's crypticness and non-answers are so obnoxious! I would accept a straight police procedural style show without this 'grand conspiracy' crap. This episode was high on the conspiracy and managed to provisionally answer one of the LEAST interesting questions on the show (who took a shot at Jane in her apartment).  

I did enjoy Reade and Jane dressing all Brooklyn hipster with the bomb sniffing dog to go 'undercover' at the the art loft! Cute detail. 

Reade pulling a Beckett is stupid but we won't have to deal with more of Weller's caveman attitude about his sister's love-life - for the time being at least as I suspect that arc won't be really dropped. 

For reals. I missed the first few minutes of the show, and for a second, I thought Weller was under the ski mask trying to emphasize his point about Reade being a danger to Sarah. I'm still not ruling out that possibility (though I guess it's unlikely). I did cheer when they broke up though! 

After all that, Cabe is still alive?? Come on.

Which means Oscar is potentially lying. He could have let Cade get away. Super attractive Oscar is also super shady. I didn't particularly buy his version of what went down at Jane's apartment. 

• Love 1

Weller is such an energy-suck on this show. Any single scene without him lumbering in like a bear with a wounded paw, barking out orders is automatically better. Although I guess now it's bear with a wounded JUGULAR ayfkm? It's left me hoping that his insistence on "saving Jane" gets him killed FOR REAL in the season finale.

I don't care if Oscar is shady, I like him better. And of course both Oscar and Cade are alive, I've seen Jason Bourne.

• Love 2
(edited)

Cade was such a lazy-writer's villain, full of convenient shifts in motivation and competence. He goes after Jane shooting to kill on sight multiple times, but doesn't blow her head off in the end because suddenly he "wants Oscar to see her die?" Then he can't even hold a gun on her without letting her knock it out of his hand.

They didn't even need to show the tag at the end. But I guess there are still people out there who don't know that "no body" = "not really dead"?

Weller is a terribly written character, but Sullivan Stapleton does absolutely none of things he could do with delivery to smooth the rough edges or add emotional depth. Even his "I'm sorry for your loss" to not!Banksy came across as glowery and passive aggressive. 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 3

Well hush my puppies, I actually *liked* parts of this ep for the first time in, well, basically ever. At least I didn't *dislike* most of it, which is an improvement. (And no, I really don't know why I'm still watching beyond: there's not much else on.) This proves what I've always suspected, that Jane sucks so much less, or even not at all, as soon as she's away from Agent Neckbeard, who pretty much ruins all scenes for me always. And it's not that the writers can't do engaging. I instantly liked the mechanic gun runner.

I know I'm in serious trouble with a show when the lead gets injured, and I'm *hoping* for their death. (That was the moment I finally quit Bones.) Either I'm an idiot (hush now) or a hopeless optimist, but I was genuinely hoping they were course correcting there. Would appreciate *all* Wellers off the screen ASAP, tyvm. Do not appreciate a single one of them. And I've clearly got even bigger problems with the show when I care more about the death of thumbnail characters (mechanic gun runner and the brain-washed soldier recently both immediately spring to mind, even LDP) than the lead. Hell, I was in denial about the mechanic's death, hoping it was a manipulation, until the first aid scene with Cade made that highly improbable.

Would probably happily watch flashbacks of the mechanic, BLID/tree tat guy and Jane though. Zappata has never really been a character (good or otherwise), and I don't like what they're doing with Reade, so if they can work out a way to put Patterson in the flashback show, I'd probably be sorted.

• Love 2

I know this show has lost me during an episode when I am thinking random, odd things. Like I am thinking dang is Weller part werewolf. I really do like Jane's hair can I get away with a short cut like that. Not a great sign I guess, too bored.

Yeah, this show is pretty boring.

• Love 2

Sullivan Stapleton explaining how the explosion in this episode actually left a scar on his leg (He drops his pants. It's amusing. Also a good chance to hear him laugh repeatedly, since that will apparently never happen on the show...):

• Love 1

I don't mind Weller too much. He's just a serious career focused guy with some personal stuff going on. I think he's supposed to be easy to get because Jane is a total enigma. I kind of get the self-induced amnesia because obviously otherwise she would fail lie-detector tests but I feel like she could get the truth out of Oscar (since he's supposed to love her and failing that she could could probably overpower and interrogate him) if the plot wasn't dictating that this is only episode 15.

I'm curious to see whether Jane genuinely was the mastermind of this plan to fight corruption from the inside or whether the video was a fraud. I'd prefer it if Jane was the brains behind this thing since if she was manipulated it makes her into a more pat tragic/victim figure.

Speaking of Reade, I guess that little scare as now made him break things off with Kurt's sister, because he needs some kind of emotional drama.  They never realize that things like that never help.  The bad guys don't care.  They'll still go after her no matter what their stasis is, because they know he cares about her.

Yeah this crew need to watch more television instead of having secret liaisons all the time. Also Reade was super unconvincing with Mayfair.

Lastly I'm intrigued by all these hints Oscar keeps throwing out that the FBI team aren't Jane's friends and aren't good people. Is he talking about past events we don't know about or the fact that of the team we've seen Reade and Zapata be compromised and Mayfair was/is corrupt?

Edited by Beatriceblake

You know, I must be one of those wimps that finds getting my jugular severed/ getting shot debilitating (well, I'd imagine so, it's never happened to me). I forget where I saw (certainly not this show!) somebody insist on getting up right after nearly dying - and immediately collapsed because of the whole "nearly dying" thing. Maybe Jane is in fact part of a "Humans First!" movement investigating the infiltration of the government by evil mutants, so we're watching the X-Men viewed from the viewpoint of the Anti-Mutant extremists - though that seems far too interesting for this series.

Why is everyone (in show) assuming anyone accessing Jane's tattoos MUST have got them from a mole/hacking of the FBI or the people who did it in the first place. Have they forgotten in the first episode SHE WAS STANDING IN TIMES SQUARE! Yes, the bomb squad had probably pulled people back but they probably didn't issue a media blackout. And even if they did, Jane has been wondering around for anyone to see enough times that most of her tattoos have been publicly viewed. Can they stop treating her like she's the NOC list of CIA contacts - the FBI does not own Jane's skin!

Not that Jane's organisation is much better. Despite being highly effective in uncovering all sorts of government shenanigans without apparently the government being aware of them (maybe) they have room for internal splits. I know extremist groups are famous for their fissiporous nature (like the People's Front of Judea and the Judean Peoples' Front) but they're generally famous for being ineffective BECAUSE they spend all their time fighting each other rather than "the power".

miracole Right Weller, Jane is the reckless one

At least he admitted it!

• Love 1