Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Fascinating. Just think, back in 1990, none of this existed. We were spending our precious minutes doing other things. I noticed that I unintentionally cut back on doing real-life things I enjoyed, like sewing, when I started spending a lot of time online.  That's sad. Real life activities should be most important.

You're right on the money.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Birdiebutt said:

Gardens Alive makes a selective weed killer which works on Bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare).  It's called Iron X® Selective Weed Killer for Lawns.  Active Ingredient is Iron HEDTA (FeHEDTA).

I use it on my lawn to kill dandelions.  After it dries (in 3 hours) it doesn't wash off, won't transfer to pets and children or enter ground water.  Follow instructions.  It actually makes my lawn greener in spots where the dandelions were sprayed and died. 

HTH.

Thanks for this info!  I didn't know Garden's Alive was still around!  I am definitely going to purchase this.  Thanks again!

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Here's the thing...mine were in pots also.  These are all volunteer seedlings that germinated in the rocks and in the mulch bed.  They are literally growing on three sides of my house.  If I were to plan them, I would have them in a part sun exposure, (they don't like a lot of direct sun or heat), and make sure it's somewhere where I don't have other plantings planned.  In one place, they completely filled a 5' x 3' area.  What's so great is they're all different colors* because that's what was in the pot originally.  You can pull them when they get leggy and tired, because there are new seedlings starting pretty much all the time.  You can see in the photo with the purple ones, the little green leaves near them - those are new flowers growing.  It's crazy, lol.  They do their best in early spring to early summer, then again in early fall until winter.  We have had a couple of mild winters here, and seriously, they have survived being buried under snow for weeks at a time.

*eta - they're different patterns, mostly yellows, whites, purples, and variants of these.

The viola seed capsule can eject seed several hundred feet when it open up!  It's like a projectile weapon! They are also one of the few seeds that ants like to carry around.....maybe they think it looks like a grain of sand or something, or food? 

24 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Thanks for this info!  I didn't know Garden's Alive was still around!  I am definitely going to purchase this.  Thanks again!

You're welcome.  Hope it works for you.

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

The viola seed capsule can eject seed several hundred feet when it open up!  It's like a projectile weapon! They are also one of the few seeds that ants like to carry around.....maybe they think it looks like a grain of sand or something, or food? 

Ah ants.  That makes sense, as we have our share of ants on this property.  Interesting...

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

For you smart gardeners - 

Are these diluted vinegar mixtures I read about on line really an effective contact weed killer?  And if so, will it also kill desirable plants?  I'm really trying to stay organic with these things.

I tried vinegar many, many years ago with mixed results.  Other people swear by it.  I was willing to try it again (until I was reminded here about Gardens Alive website).  Vinegar can and will kill desirable plants.  Organic solutions, commercial or home-made, can be just as toxic as non-organic solutions.  This isn't meant to say that they are bad....they are generally better for people and animals and the environment.  I use an organic solution for aphids that I make myself with tobacco, soap and Listerine.  It works great, but it also kills good bugs, just like a non-organic method would, so I use it only when a good strong spray of water from the hose won't do the trick. 

Here's a good article I just found on the web about vinegar..................

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html

A side note - I just read an article last week about how in Europe (Germany, I think), they use this higher % vinegar mentioned all the time for cleaning.  The high acid content not only can burn your skin, but it kills germs, too.  You can find it on Amazon.  I had never heard of it before.

2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I tried vinegar many, many years ago with mixed results.  Other people swear by it.  I was willing to try it again (until I was reminded here about Gardens Alive website).  Vinegar can and will kill desirable plants.  Organic solutions, commercial or home-made, can be just as toxic as non-organic solutions.  This isn't meant to say that they are bad....they are generally better for people and animals and the environment.  I use an organic solution for aphids that I make myself with tobacco, soap and Listerine.  It works great, but it also kills good bugs, just like a non-organic method would, so I use it only when a good strong spray of water from the hose won't do the trick. 

A side note - I just read an article last week about how in Europe (Germany, I think), they use this higher % vinegar mentioned all the time for cleaning.  The high acid content not only can burn your skin, but it kills germs, too.  You can find it on Amazon.  I had never heard of it before.

Thanks for the info!  My primary purpose for trying to eliminate chemicals from my yard/garden is to contribute my tiny bit to eliminating the horrible effects of some of these products.  I'm a believer that they are contributing to the fact that every second that passes, it seems that someone else I know receives a cancer diagnosis.  If my wildlife friends are helped in some small way, all the better.

Good Sunday morning!

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
On 8/4/2017 at 6:05 PM, SentimentalLady said:

Yes, my girl does that also.  She brings it to me and drops it at my feet.  I throw it and she brings it back.  Any toy that I  pay for is ignored.  My boy loves to bat around fortune cookies. 

The break-away plastic rings on milk jugs.

4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

This looks like the weed that I have the most trouble with.  Purslane.  Used to see it mostly in late summer/autumn, but this year, it's pervasive early and everywhere.  These damn landscape rocks make it difficult to pull, but after reading your link, I'm not enthusiastic about using vinegar on it.  I have an 'organic' spray that I've used, and I smell a strong odor of vinegar when I use it, which is why I asked the vinegar question.  Guess I'll be manually pulling weeds until I no longer can.  Then I'll write checks.  Dammit.

weed purslane.jpg

I've used the industrial strength vinegar, and it does a great job killing tough weeds like thistle. I can't remember if I bought it from Amazon or AM Leonard. Anyway, you should never spray it and you should wear eye protection and skin protection. This is very strong stuff! I spilled a little on the metal shelving in my garage, and it ate through a metal shelf! I paint it on thistle leaves. I pour some in a glass container, and dip a small paint brush into it it and paint it on. If it's a sunny day, those nasty thistles are brown and withered in a short period of time.

14 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Ah ants.  That makes sense, as we have our share of ants on this property.  Interesting...

If you want to get rid of ants, I have some tips. Maybe they aren't a problem for you.

31 minutes ago, ennui said:

If you want to get rid of ants, I have some tips. Maybe they aren't a problem for you.

As far as I know they're not a problem, but my sense is that where there are carpenter ants, there's trouble potentially brewing.

I'm all ears.

I found that ant poisons don't work -- I tried the dry, scatter kind, and the little plastic things that you stick into the ground. Nothing. I remembered Windex; research said it's the vinegar that kills ants, but it's only temporary; a few days or weeks later, ants are back in full force. Olive oil is good (but expensive); the ants love the oil but it clogs their little breathing tubes and they die. I have an organic spray cleaner called Charlie's Soap (the kitchen version), it's washing soda and coconut oil detergents, and it's amazing for killing ants.

If you want regular white vinegar, you can get two gallons at Costco for less than $4.

22 minutes ago, ennui said:

I found that ant poisons don't work -- I tried the dry, scatter kind, and the little plastic things that you stick into the ground. Nothing. I remembered Windex; research said it's the vinegar that kills ants, but it's only temporary; a few days or weeks later, ants are back in full force. Olive oil is good (but expensive); the ants love the oil but it clogs their little breathing tubes and they die. I have an organic spray cleaner called Charlie's Soap (the kitchen version), it's washing soda and coconut oil detergents, and it's amazing for killing ants.

If you want regular white vinegar, you can get two gallons at Costco for less than $4.

Thanks for the tips!

20 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

@lovemesomejoolery -- One more thing if you go the Iron X route.  Add a garden type (like Spray-Grip by Master Nurserymen) surfactant to the dillution.  It reduces the surface tension of a liquid and helps the solution adhere to the plant instead of beading up like plain water.  You could use dish soap if you use it sparingly, but my experience has been that dish soap tends to foam up until it, too, is diluted enough over time with watering.  It won't hurt but it's annoying.

12 minutes ago, Birdiebutt said:

@lovemesomejoolery -- One more thing if you go the Iron X route.  Add a garden type (like Spray-Grip by Master Nurserymen) surfactant to the dillution.  It reduces the surface tension of a liquid and helps the solution adhere to the plant instead of beading up like plain water.  You could use dish soap if you use it sparingly, but my experience has been that dish soap tends to foam up until it, too, is diluted enough over time with watering.  It won't hurt but it's annoying.

Thanks for this reminder - I went to a garden center today and bought a sprayer and they reminded me about getting my surfactant, so I purchased it there.  I used to have all of this stuff and got rid of it a couple of years ago because I haven't had any problems like this for years.  Just been lucky, I guess!!

Now all I have to do is wait for my order to arrive!  I'm thinking next weekend I'll be a spraying fool!!

5 hours ago, Booney said:

I've used the industrial strength vinegar, and it does a great job killing tough weeds like thistle. I can't remember if I bought it from Amazon or AM Leonard. Anyway, you should never spray it and you should wear eye protection and skin protection. This is very strong stuff! I spilled a little on the metal shelving in my garage, and it ate through a metal shelf! I paint it on thistle leaves. I pour some in a glass container, and dip a small paint brush into it it and paint it on. If it's a sunny day, those nasty thistles are brown and withered in a short period of time.

Good tips!  If I had less than 10 thistles, I would definitely go this route.  I counted in one area of my yard - just one tiny area, and counted 27!  I think when I hand-pulled them in early summer, it forced them to multiply!!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
4 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Thanks for this reminder - I went to a garden center today and bought a sprayer and they reminded me about getting my surfactant, so I purchased it there.  I used to have all of this stuff and got rid of it a couple of years ago because I haven't had any problems like this for years.  Just been lucky, I guess!!

Now all I have to do is wait for my order to arrive!  I'm thinking next weekend I'll be a spraying fool!!

Good tips!  If I had less than 10 thistles, I would definitely go this route.  I counted in one area of my yard - just one tiny area, and counted 27!  I think when I hand-pulled them in early summer, it forced them to multiply!!

It does actually. I've read that you should never pull them - it does stimulate more growth. You can cut the leaves off at ground level. Supposedly the plant spends so much energy trying to put new leaves up, that eventually it dies off. The problem with this method is that you may have to snip it back several times. The vinegar application is much faster.

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

This looks like the weed that I have the most trouble with.  Purslane.  Used to see it mostly in late summer/autumn, but this year, it's pervasive early and everywhere.  These damn landscape rocks make it difficult to pull, but after reading your link, I'm not enthusiastic about using vinegar on it.  I have an 'organic' spray that I've used, and I smell a strong odor of vinegar when I use it, which is why I asked the vinegar question.  Guess I'll be manually pulling weeds until I no longer can.  Then I'll write checks.  Dammit.

weed purslane.jpg

This is a tough one to get rid of..........here's an article.  It also has projectile seeds!!

Best way  to deal with it - hand pulling before seed sets and mulch.  I use about 2-3" of mulch in all my garden beds, so don't have a ton of weeds, except this nasty thistle, to contend with.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/purslane-control.htm

1 minute ago, Booney said:

It does actually. I've read that you should never pull them - it does stimulate more growth. You can cut the leaves off at ground level. Supposedly the plant spends so much energy trying to put new leaves up, that eventually it dies off. The problem with this method is that you may have to snip it back several times. The vinegar application is much faster.

I think I'm going to try three methods next weekend - vinegar, cutting to the ground and my stuff from Garden's Alive. 

I should have known better and not pulled these buggers up.  I should have known.

4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

This is a tough one to get rid of..........here's an article.  It also has projectile seeds!!

Best way  to deal with it - hand pulling before seed sets and mulch.  I use about 2-3" of mulch in all my garden beds, so don't have a ton of weeds, except this nasty thistle, to contend with.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/purslane-control.htm

I think I'm going to try three methods next weekend - vinegar, cutting to the ground and my stuff from Garden's Alive. 

I should have known better and not pulled these buggers up.  I should have known.

I've tried deep mulch like that, but weed vines crawl right on top of it. They love mulch! The worst weed vine in my yard is Creeping Charlie, also known as ground ivy. Botanical name is Glechoma hederacea.

misc pics plants creeping charlie weed vine.jpg

Edited by Coffeecup
29 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I've tried deep mulch like that, but weed vines crawl right on top of it. They love mulch! The worst weed vine in my yard is Creeping Charlie, also known as ground ivy. Botanical name is Glechoma hederacea.

misc pics plants creeping charlie weed vine.jpg

I'm familiar with this one - we call it ground ivy around here where I live.  I am happy to say I have not seen that one in my yard!  The most problems with weeds that I've had are with this thistle, crown vetch, chickweed and something called hairy bittercress.  The rest I can live with....but these are definitely ones I battle!

5 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I wanted to share this song. I've been listening to it for several days. Phil Collins - Take Me Home

TT - I do love me some Phil Collins, but the seminal song of my time was actually the theme intro to Miami Vice, back in the day.  I can still close my eyes and imagine driving at night to nowhere ...

19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

weed purslane.jpg

Miserable stuff. Lots this year here, too. I did read just this year, that it is good for some ailment... brain won't release this info at this early of a time in the morning but this stuff apparently is good for something and it impressed me at the time.

Went to Conn over the weekend so Joe's parents and brother could see him. 4 hrs down and back and I had to do all the driving. I was up from 2 am Sunday morning straight on though. Pain is incredible. Took one of Joe's pain pills it was so bad (yea I know I know...) and it did not TOUCH the pain.  I am heading over to the doctor's this morning to get that expensive ultrasound booked. Back hurting again. Youngest daughter, my beloved, thinks it is a kidney stone. Never thought of that. She had them last year and she said it was the worst pain ever. So there is another possibility.

15 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Thanks for the tips!

16 hours ago, ennui said:

I totally concur!

On 8/3/2017 at 11:40 AM, Thumper said:

Cricket, I am worried about you.   (See her posts on Shopping forum.).  If you cannot sleep due to pain, that is not good.  Please keep us posted -- remember, you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of Joe.  ❤️❤️

It has gotten almost to the point I want to stay curled up in bed. I posted a moment ago, going to book that ultrasound. Maybe it will show something. Pretty expensive test to show me nothing. I am going to ask my practice (love that word... that is what they often do...) to have Dr. Love or my RPA deal with me. I was not impressed by the young PA I had last week. I doubted after leaving her, she could diagnose a head cold.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:55 PM, ennui said:

Squirrels are edible, and the rules are usually different for game animals.

Probably tastes just like chicken.... or so says my brother over anything I can't pick up in the meat department of my grocery store.  Just can't bring myself... maybe if I was lost in the great north woods....

On 8/3/2017 at 2:00 PM, ennui said:

It seems to me that Cricket's issues started around the same time Kody came home. I wonder if she pulled something, picking up a heavy puppy. Or maybe he had worms* and she caught them?

This is not meant to be an insult -- puppies do catch things when they're small and too young for treatments. 

Actually, since I am so type A, I marked on my calendar when this all started. That was July 4th. I just assumed it was a UTI and let it run its course a bit. We are going to doctor's here every week with just Joe... so.... Picked up Kody on the 22nd I think. No worms, but he is was wormed as a precaution as most pups have worms. And this reminds me, I have to give him his next dose, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Picking him up, now, however is not so easy as you say, with this back issue. Hopefully I will get an answer by the end of the week if I can get the ultrasound in tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Cricket said:

I did read just this year, that it is good for some ailment.

Yes, one of the articles I ran across was extolling the virtues and healing properties of this weed.  I moved along quickly.  Not my jam.

Well I went to the doctor today to set up the ultrasound for the pelvic area the PA wanted. But, I wanted one for my kidneys too as my daughter said I could have a kidney stone, even though I am not urinating blood. Well... they did not like that suggestion and said I needed a CTScan for that. I told them I could not afford this ultrasound let alone a CTScan too. I had researched this, and guess what, found an article in the New England Journal of Medicine stating that it is no longer necessary to do a CTScan first for detection of kidney stones first. If steam could come out of her ears, it would have. I did not make them happy this morning. She said that the medical community does not like to practice medicine in the way the insurance companies want them to. Well, I said she better start looking at how insurance companies deal with their patients, because we are the ones having to foot the bill. I was nicer about it but again, she shot me disdain. Guess what time my appointment is for tomorrow? 6 am. Yes... AM. Fortunately I am an early riser LOL. So I have to be at the hospital at 6 am. I suggested the hospital actually; said if their facility did not have the equipment to do a good ultrasound on my kidneys, I would to to the hospital for it. Hospital it is. Besides, I have 3 payment plans running there for Joe, so might as well add another one there LOL. I am supposed to get some idea by Thursday I am told. Joe goes someplace else tomorrow too.. he has a meeting with the head doctor of the practice I go to (like him) then a CTScan of his veins and the filter catching the blood clots. Then a vet appointment for Kody. Nice day with the medical field tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Well I went to the doctor today to set up the ultrasound for the pelvic area the PA wanted. But, I wanted one for my kidneys too as my daughter said I could have a kidney stone, even though I am not urinating blood. Well... they did not like that suggestion and said I needed a CTScan for that. I told them I could not afford this ultrasound let alone a CTScan too. I had researched this, and guess what, found an article in the New England Journal of Medicine stating that it is no longer necessary to do a CTScan first for detection of kidney stones first. If steam could come out of her ears, it would have. I did not make them happy this morning. She said that the medical community does not like to practice medicine in the way the insurance companies want them to. Well, I said she better start looking at how insurance companies deal with their patients, because we are the ones having to foot the bill. I was nicer about it but again, she shot me disdain. Guess what time my appointment is for tomorrow? 6 am. Yes... AM. Fortunately I am an early riser LOL. So I have to be at the hospital at 6 am. I suggested the hospital actually; said if their facility did not have the equipment to do a good ultrasound on my kidneys, I would to to the hospital for it. Hospital it is. Besides, I have 3 payment plans running there for Joe, so might as well add another one there LOL. I am supposed to get some idea by Thursday I am told. Joe goes someplace else tomorrow too.. he has a meeting with the head doctor of the practice I go to (like him) then a CTScan of his veins and the filter catching the blood clots. Then a vet appointment for Kody. Nice day with the medical field tomorrow.

Navy is the new black, and patient is the new doctor.  

SSE - Yes, after I wrote that, I thought, "I miss medicine back in the 80's!"

You really have to research what they want to do, with what others do, with what your gut tells you. it is a lot of work now. used to be able to go to the doctor and get a decent diagnosis most of the time, and a quick resolution to it. Now, for me at least, they don't want to commit to a diagnosis till they put you through 3 different and expensive tests! It is ironic, I have to "fight" to try an antibiotic because God forbid, I risk becoming immune to it down the road... but, most doctors have no problems writing prescriptions for Valium, Oxycontin, etc..

5 minutes ago, Cricket said:

You really have to research what they want to do, with what others do, with what your gut tells you. it is a lot of work now. used to be able to go to the doctor and get a decent diagnosis most of the time, and a quick resolution to it. Now, for me at least, they don't want to commit to a diagnosis till they put you through 3 different and expensive tests! It is ironic, I have to "fight" to try an antibiotic because God forbid, I risk becoming immune to it down the road... but, most doctors have no problems writing prescriptions for Valium, Oxycontin, etc..

Very frustrating.  At least for my grandkids, they won't know any different, so they won't be as frustrated by the madness.

15 hours ago, Cricket said:

Actually, since I am so type A, I marked on my calendar when this all started. That was July 4th. I just assumed it was a UTI and let it run its course a bit. We are going to doctor's here every week with just Joe... so.... Picked up Kody on the 22nd I think. No worms, but he is was wormed as a precaution as most pups have worms. And this reminds me, I have to give him his next dose, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Picking him up, now, however is not so easy as you say, with this back issue. Hopefully I will get an answer by the end of the week if I can get the ultrasound in tomorrow.

I am no doctor, but the kidney stone issue that your daughter mentioned is totally plausible here.  I don't know why I didn't think of that - a friend of mine just went through a bout of kidney stones and it was brutal.  PLease keep us informed! 

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

Cricket, I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV.....that's an old take off on a TV commercial), but I agree nowadays you need to be your own advocate when it comes to health care.   I do have a LOT of history/experience with kidney stones - for your physician/PA to give the story that you need to go to a hospital to have a diagnostic ultrasound is total b.s.  I found out about my most recent (last fall) kidney stone by going to my local urgent care.   I too thought I had a UTI, did not see any blood in my urine but had just been feeling generalized awful, was nauseated and had low, deep back pain.  It was so bad that I had to get up in the middle of my shift (I was working nights then) and go home, I felt so bad I didn't think I'd make it.   Next morning I went in, they did an ultrasound (no appointment, I just walked in) and 45 minutes later came out knowing that, once again I had another kidney stone.  I certainly hope that regardless of what "device" they decide to test you with they can come up with a definitive diagnosis for you.

Ironically, this afternoon I just finished reading a book (Don't Leave Me This Way or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry written by Julie Fox Garrison).  Excellent book, a true story, written by a woman who, at 37, suffered a debilitating hemorrhagic stroke in 1997.  It's a remarkable story, after her stroke basically she was told that she'd never walk again, that she needed to undergo monthly chemotherapy as doctors though her stroke was a result of cerebral vasculitis.  Despite all the doom and gloom, she remained positive, listened to her gut and kept pushing herself and looking at other reasons as to why this happened.  Despite being in Boston, surrounded by the best of the best in medicine, she got second and third opinions.  In 200l (Spoiler alert) she was watching the evening news and saw a report that certain cold medications were being taken off the market due because they contained an ingredient that could cause hemorrhagic stroke in young women. She had been feeling sniffly the morning of her stroke and had taken a single dose of cold medicine that contained that ingredient.  It's a well written,  compelling book and a story that I certainly identify with.  

It is a shame that healthcare has come to this, but I've learned a few things while dealing with "healthcare today".  First and always, go with your gut.  You know you, if your body is telling you something's wrong listen.  Don't allow yourself to be talked down to, talked over or patronized.  If you are unhappy with who you are seeing, ask for an appointment with a different physician.   It sounds like you are on the right track Cricket, stick to your guns and I hope that they'll finally get things figured out for you.  Wishing all the best for you tomorrow.

Edited by zoemom

Well back from the crack of dawn, look up your crack test.

One good thing, it was done early so they *should* be able to read it soon and get the info to my doctor. I told the technician that I hated to wait, and whatever it is, I need to know as soon as possible. My doctor's office did not tell me that this "ultrasound" consisted of a vaginal probe/camera "thingy". She said they rarely tell their patients. Wonder why...

She said she found no mass on my uterus, and added, "That's good!" but was silent while searching out the ovaries etc. At the end, she said, " You're done, hope it turns out good for you" or something to that effect. WTF?  Nice way to send me on my way, scared $hitless at this point.

I wonder how many ways I can mentally do myself in today?!?

Sucks getting older.

Here's his final recording.  It's...too much.

https://www.vevo.com/watch/glen-campbell/im-not-gonna-miss-you/USCJY1425007

The lyrics:

I'm still here, but yet I'm gone
I don't play guitar or sing my songs
They never defined who I am
The man that loves you 'til the end

You're the last person I will love
You're the last face I will recall
And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you
Not gonna miss you

I'm never gonna hold you like I did
Or say I love you to the kids
You're never gonna see it in my eyes
It's not gonna hurt me when you cry

I'm never gonna know what you go through
All the things I say or do
All the hurt and all the pain
One thing selfishly remains

I'm not gonna miss you
I'm not gonna miss you

Very sad to hear about Glen Campbell. His family (and the public) knew this was coming, because he was open about having Alzheimer's. The world has lost a great entertainer and a fine person.

Horrible disease. My mother had it. I fervently hope that scientists can find some way to reverse Alzheimer's.

You know, these weed names sound like characters in a Victorian mystery novel. (With some slight spelling changes.)

The famous detective Harry Bittercress and his sidekick Dr. Spurge investigate the murder of the exotic Lady Malva Fastigiata, who was found deceased by her maid, Miss Purslane, on the lush grounds of her estate, Deadnettle Manor.  The cause of death appears to be some sort of vinegar poisoning. Whodunit? Was it Creeping Charlie, a sleazy fellow a history of stalking wealthy women, or was it the tough ex-con Burdock?

2 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

You know, these weed names sound like characters in a Victorian mystery novel. (With some slight spelling changes.)

The famous detective Harry Bittercress and his sidekick Dr. Spurge investigate the murder of the exotic Lady Malva Fastigiata, who was found deceased by her maid, Miss Purslane, on the lush grounds of her estate, Deadnettle Manor.  The cause of death appears to be some sort of vinegar poisoning. Whodunit? Was it Creeping Charlie, a sleazy fellow a history of stalking wealthy women, or was it the tough ex-con Burdock?

Ha!  Very clever.

10 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

LOVE IT! I've seen Miss Purslane. She's been in my garden several times bothering Ms. Vinca and Mr. Basil Genovese who's sweet. 

10 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Love this - so fun! I think it was the prickly Mr. Thistle, who has deep roots in the community. ?

On 8/7/2017 at 4:05 PM, Cricket said:

"I miss medicine back in the 80's!"

I miss Marcus Welby. Nice man, paternal, made house calls. *sigh*

I love the Victorian weeds murder mysteries.