Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Salt in the Wound

• Start Topic

Loves Anthony's tattoo. So pleased to see him win. I can't believe this dude had trouble finding someone to take him on as an apprentice. Well, I guess I can. Most of the tattoo artists in Tucson are lily white and cliquish. Many of them are outright assholes. If that's where he got his start, my knowledge of that town makes me think he was kept out because he didn't have the ties, not because he lacked skills or promise.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4

The judges definitely made the correct choice by giving Christian and Megan Jean the victory in the Flash Challenge. Christian is playing the game brilliantly thus far and everyone in that alliance has decent skills.

As far as the Elimination Tattoo, I disagree with giving Anthony the win even though his tattoo was very good. It didn't seem like a superhero to me at all, just some dude one might see in Borderlands, going so far as to even have what looks like the Borderlands logo on the stock of the rifle. Sausage had the best tattoo for the challenge since he made his canvas look like a cute redhead version of Sister Grimm from Marvel Comics.

Even though Ashley did have the worst tattoo, Cleen should've went home. His Elimination Tattoo just looked like some dude in a suit and there were a lot of noticeable problems with his tattoo. After Kruseman dodged challenges and faked his way to the top last season, I'm  a major stickler for sticking to the challenge, which Cleen didn't do this week. Ashley being booted is fine with me though since she didn't do any solid work yet (Alex carried her on the Flash win last week).

Edited by MuMuGuy
  • Love 4

I can't believe Sausage is still whining about being "bullied" in his season. I guess that's his hook, but geez... get over it already. The dude who beat you isn't even alive anymore.

I'd also say Cleen should've gone home if Ashley's tattoo hadn't been such a mess, technically. It was all over the place, though, and she has been in the bottom every time.

Anthony's was great. It was more of an anti-hero than a straight hero, but I loved how it was all black and grey except for a few splashes of red and yellow.

• Love 2

The lady who went home seemed nice, if a little annoying.  However, whenever she talked about dropping out of art school with only one semester left for tattooing, I could not help but wonder if she was kicked out.

I mean her drawing skills were horrible.  She draws on the same level as I do and that is not a good thing.

I hope Picasso can get out of his head, since he is supposed to be super talented.

I wonder if this season will just make me hate all the former veterans?  So far, this has been true, except for St. Marc...I hated him before.

I think he practices his talking head mean faces in front of a mirror.  It is sad watching a chubby dorky type of guy try so hard to be a bad ass.

It's like watching Sam the Hobbit act in "Straight  Outta Compton".

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 8

Well, this is what I was afraid of....vets are just going to be given a pass every time because the judges already know what they are capable of.

Sorry Cleen, that tattoo did NOT meet the requirements. If anything it looked like a caricature, not a comic. And overall, it just SUCKED (it looked like something an airbrush artist would draw up on a tshirt at a county fair). He most definitely should have went home on that. If one of the newbies put that tattoo out, had Peck say he HATED IT and the HCJ agreed it was the worst...hell, doubt there would have been any discussion. Judges would have sent them home real quick. But because it is Cleen they told him to not even worry, he had no chance of going home.

Completely agree with the post a few posts above me, why not just have a returning vet season? They are obviously going to continue to give passes to vets based on past work/seasons. It is completely unfair the newbies are being judged on separate criteria (ONLY the work they put out at that moment and not their entire Ink Master body of work).

I am just glad there are artists like Christian (starting to come around on him), Megan and Anthony to offer up some competition. But sadly, if they are up against a vet or two, they are going home. The judges are outright biased this season.

Don't get me wrong, Ashleys tattoo was pretty damn bad, but she at least met the challenge of a COMIC tattoo.

• Love 6

What's the point of having a specific challenge if it doesn't matter (or depends on the week and/or who is on the chopping block)?  Look, I'm glad Cleen was spared because I like him and I think he's a good artist but this is again where the judges waffle on whether meeting the challenge is the main criteria or technical/artistic ability. 

FWIW, I thought what the inktestants wanted was mostly stupid.  Comic book style should have been real super heroes or something we could understand.  That said, I'm glad Anthony won because he seems to be a good, serious artist who isn't about the bullshit.  I think Sausage's tattoo met the criteria better but bygones.

I actually liked Alex for just sitting out the flash challenge with St. Marq.  Really your best option since Marq runs over everything anyhow.  I would love to see Alex (or anyone) punch him in his smug face.  He was beat by a farmer so he can take several seats.

Got a major case of the sads seeing Sausage's flashback with Scott.  Damn heroin. 

So Matti is back next week?  Wonder when Jesse (always liked him) is back.  I'm guessing he will choose something new school for his challenge. 

I agree with the poster above who stated it would be better/more interesting to just have the veterans return.

Bring back Josh!

I love Dave.  No, seriously.  I just love Dave.

• Love 2

Ugh. Cleen lost his season because the judges felt that he hadn't met the challenge. That's what they've seen him do before. That was such a horrible drawing, he totally dropped it again.

Mind you, the whole tattoo concept was dumb as fuck. "My super talent is being a sexbomb!" I wish Dave had taken him aside and said, "Son, just no."

And the frogs? What the fuck with the frogs? And I mean I get the guy wanted paparrazi - how does that turn into frogs with cameras? He put frogs all over the guy's back! I laughed so hard. And it's huge. there's going to be no covering this stupid frog thing. And the client loved it! What a laugh!

Yeah, that was bad. I wouldn't have sent Cleen home. But it was bad. Picasso's was clearly the worst thing that wasn't a super hero.

Also, the winner's was not really a comic book superhero, either. That's a specific style, and while it was a good drawing, it didn't say comicbook the way Sausage's did.

I'd like Sausage a lot more if he'd just shut it with the whinging. No one bullied you by giving you difficult skull picks. Dumbass.

• Love 1

I think sausage should have said traditional comic book style, since modern comic books or graphic novels tend to have much more varied types of styles.

Wonder when Jesse (always liked him) is back.

I like him, too.  I hope the show does not kill my Jessie love.

Is Jime going to make everyone tattoo buck toothed sperm having a stroke?  That was sort of his thing, during his original season.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2

Jime going to make everyone tattoo buck toothed sperm having a stroke? That was sort of his thing, during his original season.

It's like watching Sam the Hobbit act in "Straight Outta Compton".

These would be funny enough statements on their own, but they're even more hilarious because they are so accurate.
  • Love 3

Well, it couldn't be tattoos of actual superhero characters because the show would have had to get clearance from the companies.

I'm fine with Ashley leaving because she was just terrible, but I'm going to need some shake up soon because I can't listen to a full season of "they're scared of us because we're the vets", "they're coming for us because we are the vets", and " we new artists have stick together." That nonsense is boring already and we're only 3 weeks in.

• Love 1

What the fuck with the frogs, indeed.  I could make out a couple of fat bullfrog bellies and some feet, but I couldn't figure out any of the rest of that mess, even on pause.  "Superhero Famewhore" just doesn't say frogs to me.

I can't argue with Ashley's ouster.  Oof, they must teach foreshortening in that very last semester.  I bet the canvas likes it though--it was a cute cupcake-maker superhero figure.  (And made more sense than "Amplifier Man."  The jury was funny there:  You don't have superpowers unless you're by an outlet?)

• Love 3
Well, it couldn't be tattoos of actual superhero characters because the show would have had to get clearance from the companies.

I meant doing the canvas's in the old school super hero style, as opposed to specific classic superheros (which is what many of them did, anyway).

(And made more sense than "Amplifier Man."  The jury was funny there:  You don't have superpowers unless you're by an outlet?)

Too funny, I hope he carries an outlet strip with him at all time, in case of a power surge.

Ashley's looked good from really really far away.  Up close, it was a trainwresck.  But at least she did a superhero.  Cleen didn't.  Cleen should have gone home.  Sausage needs to get over the alleged "bullying" he got in his season.  He was not bullied and he gave as good as he got. It wasn't like he was some noble and misunderstood genius who was hung up in the coatroom by his skivvies.

These "alliances" are irritating.  This is presumably a talent based competition.  An alliance ignores the important variable of talent.  You can give someone what you consider a shitty skull pick until the cows come home, but if the tattooer is worth his/her salt, it shouldn't even matter (other than psychologically to these boneheads).  I can think of several decent compositions that Cleen could have done to actually make his character a superhero.  He could have done a superhero powered by the paparazzi lens flashes.  Put the guy in flight, with him collecting stars from the flash units of the paps for power.  I mean, come on people, use your imagination..  Every one of those canvases had an idea that was workable with a little compromise. 

Edited by AlliePK
  • Love 2

I wonder if this season will just make me hate all the former veterans?  So far, this has been true, except for St. Marc...I hated him before.

I think he practices his talking head mean faces in front of a mirror.  It is sad watching a chubby dorky type of guy try so hard to be a bad ass.

It's like watching Sam the Hobbit act in "Straight  Outta Compton".

St. Marq should've eaten cleaner food and went to the gym before going on this season of Ink Master and trying to act tough. The tough guy routine doesn't work when one looks the way St. Marq does.

As far as Sean Astin, he did try to act like a bad ass in the 5th season of that show "24." He is a really good actor though, while St. Marq is just some fat, noodle armed wimp.

• Love 2

Yeah, I would never compare Sean Astin to St. Marq.  Sean could probably kick St. Marq's ass with his eyes closed, not that he is a violent type of guy.

Actually, I probably insulted Sam the Hobbit...my bad.

St Marq should have been out the first week he came back, and Cleen should have gotten a hard look (instead of laughing wave-off) for elimination this week.  There's no point to this format when the vets just keep getting passes.  Just have another normal season (this season's non-vets are a pretty talented group) and then do an All-Stars season ferchrissake.  

• Love 3

I am enjoying this format better.  Only having 8 artists each week allows a little more time spent on the artists instead of rushing through 16 tattoo reviews down to 4 really good artists at the end.  

I am waiting for Sarah's return.  And I will bet, she will pick portraits.  It is her strong suit.

It is going to be an interesting season.  You have 3 second place artists from other seasons, with 2-3 really strong artists in the new batch.

I will still predict Sarah in the finale against Sausage, and the 3rd will be one of the new artists.  

Curious to see if they save Sarah for week 8?