Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Episode 1

Episode Synopsis:

Today is the day Ivy Moxam escapes from the cellar, her prison for the last 13 years. After she makes a desperate 999 call from a phone box, Ivy is picked up by the police and taken to be interviewed.

With no precedent to follow, DI Elliott Carne and DS Lisa Merchant question Ivy to see if she is who she claims to be while they wait for official DNA confirmation. But before they can confirm her identity, news of her escape is leaked and the police rush to contact the Moxam family before they hear it from the press.

When the family is reunited, younger sister Emma is the only person with doubts; mother Christina and estranged father Angus need no proof that Ivy is their daughter.

The police finally locate the house in which Ivy was held captive, but find her kidnapper long gone. Combing the house for clues, Merchant and Carne discover evidence that contradicts Ivy's story - and Merchant starts to question whether or not she's telling the truth.

One thing that kinda bugged me in this episode was when Lisa Merchant said that Ivy "was a child when she was kidnapped but she's a woman now". Would Ivy's 'mental age' really be 26 years? Wouldn't she be much younger mentally after what she's been through?

• Love 5

I've only watched the first episode so far, but DS Lisa thinks Ivy's a grown up liar, and has caught her lying, while DI Elliot thinks of her as a little girl.   I was glad that they got the DNA test results out of the way in the first episode, because I'm watching The Family too.   I do think Ivy is childish in thinking that she can pick up where she left off with Tim.    They also mentioned something about a pregnancy book saying to eat fish twice a week or something, and left open the possibility that Ivy had either been pregnant and lost the baby, or had a child that was stolen, given away, or something else.   She was apparently abducted by someone from school who she may have known, but the headmaster apparently doesn't even remember this person, so it looks like there are a web of lies to untangle in 5 episodes, if that's the whole series. 

• Love 1

"First of all, she would have immediately gotten a rape kit, and held Ivy's hand while it was processed and softly told her how brave she was. (As far as we know, Ivy never had a rape kit, so good luck proving it in court.) "

Um, hate to be that guy, but this happens in the first ten minutes of the first episode. Ivy is on her back having her hand held during the rape kit.

10 hours ago, jenrising said:

"First of all, she would have immediately gotten a rape kit, and held Ivy's hand while it was processed and softly told her how brave she was. (As far as we know, Ivy never had a rape kit, so good luck proving it in court.) "

Um, hate to be that guy, but this happens in the first ten minutes of the first episode. Ivy is on her back having her hand held during the rape kit.

Thank you. Edited.

To comment on the story - the case this seems most similar to is Jacee Dugard, who was held for 18 years and ended up having two children during that time.

The detectives mentioned that no one in England had ever escaped from this type of abduction. Could that be right? The female detective said that she was concerned about Stockholm syndrome so I assume that's what we see playing out in the next few episodes.

and "Plus the male detective has such a thick Glaswegian accent that I only understood every third sentence." Me too!

• Love 3

There was a "Law and Order: Special Victims" episode just like this. Girl is rescued after being gone for years, sister is suspicious. "Thirteen" seems to want to be that show, dragged out over five episodes.

• Love 1

As long as it doesn't veer into "Finding Carter" soapdom, I'm in. Didn't realize it was only 5 eps, so no real danger there! I knew Tim, the old BF, was married when he walked in the door, so it's a little cliche. This whole story is heartbreaking, especially if she had a baby that either died or was taken away.

• Love 3

I didn't realize it was only five episodes either, but maybe that is better for this kind of story.

It is actually really similar to The Family, except British and with a girl. I enjoyed that and this seems like it is better written so I'll certainly keep watching.

I think Ivy seems a bit....off. I was thinking shock, but she seemed to totally snap back into place when the old boyfriend came over. Was his wife also her old best friend or was it someone else?

• Love 2

Kim I think your American is showing ;).
Generally I find that these shows do drag out the story a bit more when they are produced in Europe in general. Personally I quite enjoy it as it seems quite a bit more realistic. The female DI really pisses me off though - there seems to be no sort of compassion for what Ivy has gone through.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ivy seems very child-like in some moments (like when she was given the sweater) but then almost world-weary in others, which makes sense given her captivity, likely rape, and pregnancy. Her emotional development is skewered in such a bizarre, uneven way. There were moments that were a bit cliched but the actress is doing a great job.

Elliot is too attached. (I sincerely hope it's innocent.) But it's preventing him from being objective. There were times when it seemed personal to him. His partner, Merchant, isn't without compassion in my opinion, I think she's just keeping in mind that while Ivy was abducted by Mark White, stolen from her life, and subjected to abuse she was totally dependent on him. Pleasing him kept her from suffering worse abuse, possibly kept her alive. Stockholm Syndrome was a logical suggestion (though it's not her place to diagnose Ivy). It may well be Ivy's instinct to protect Mark White, even while she fears him. 

The mom's so tightly wound I'm almost convinced she's going to have a harder time making it through all this than Ivy will. Yeesh, lady.

Edited by slf
  • Love 3
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 3:17 AM, placate said:

Can someone tell me what happened at the end?  My dvr cut off at 1:15.

Mine too! I found the episode on demand

The two detectives wanted to question Ivy and then said he had taken another girl  

• Love 1

I didn't watch this live and didn't catch up with until tonight On Demand so I was able to see the first two eps. I really like this a lot. The actress playing Ivy is fascinating. I wonder if Tim feels like Ivy is the girl who got away & although he eventually went on with his life he still is attached to Ivy.

Thank god for British tv and David Tennant who've tuned in my ears so mostly I was able to understand Elliot for the most part.

• Love 2