Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Dead Red

WendyCR72

When the son of a Russian diplomat turns up murdered, Beckett and Castle find themselves in a dangerous game of international crime and punishment, with Castle having to entertain a jovial Russian security officer who winds up more involved than anyone planned.

I really enjoyed this episode, more than the court one yesterday. It felt like a switch up from their normal format, but was more believable than the courtroom shenanigans.  Even with the spy stuff.

I liked how the Russian guy was so disappointed at the thought of Castle and Beckett not working together. Join the club. To bad he can't stick around and call the mayor/commissioner about it every week.

So Martha and Alexis don't know about Caskett being back together.  Interesting. I guess neither of them live at the loft now?

I think the idea of a baby size bulletproof vest is cute for a shower gift for a cop. But of course super-Alexis could come up with something much better. Are we supposed to think Castle was totally incompetent when Alexis was a little kid and didn't have her to do things for him?  But I guess picking out baby gifts is a more believable than her suddenly be able to hack into everything.

Beckett needs to stop giving Castle love eyeballs in front of other people.  Or end the silly charade.

I was surprised to see Rita. Glad Rick knows about her now and that he got to meet her, but am disappointed that Beckett hadn't mentioned her by now.

I liked the scene with Castle figuring out the bad guy's plan before the Russian guy could torture him. It showed him being competent and an asset to the police instead of the opposite.

They remembered that Beckett speaks Russian.  Glad there's still some continuity on the show.

I liked that they didn't get to arrest the killer, even if he is getting assigned to a crappy post back in Russia. It's not realistic for them to always solve things perfectly.

What 6 countries have Castle and Beckett has sex in? What other countries do we even know they went to together? All their vacations got cancelled.

• Love 3

The light saber was cute from one geek to another, too, and I just went awwww at the little vest!! Oh well. Oh also loved the interrogation scene where he figured it out and I confess to rolling my eyes that their sneaking around has faked out Supe Spy Rita!! Guess sneaking in through the building next door is highly effective. I liked last night's and tonight's the best of all season (in spite of the courtroom foolishness and that both cases required some serious suspension of disbelief!). It's too bad that probably they went largely unwatched, thanks to the odd Sunday showing and the Grammy awards tonight.

• Love 3

I'm kinda amazed that yesterday and tonights eps were highly entertaining and had the right amount of Alexis. I kinda liked Castle ideas of the baby shower gifts. it's more fun than the generic shower gifts that probably was in Alexis's gift basket and better than the blah jewelry that he gives to Beckett. The Ryans probably got a lot of the basic baby stuff when Jenny was pregnant Sarah Grace so maybe they would've appreciate something more unique. Russian guy was pretty amusing and enjoy his interactions with the team. Liked that Castle was competent again by figuring out what was going on before. Was surprised to see Kathe Mazur as the Russian who faked her death cause I'm used to seeing her as the competent ADA on Major Crimes. I'm glad Castle knows about Rita and called Beckett on it. Still Super Spy Rita shouldn't have fallen for the fake separation and neither should any of their closest friends/family. Jim is probably clueless about it too. I don't remember Lanie talking about lividity but did loled at her and Beckett's reaction to Espo's howdy. Nice twist that the killer ends up in the worst posting in Russia.

OMG will someone turn on some lights in the precinct. Castle was in shadow half of the time in the break room when he had his talk with Rita. Really the only dark scene should've been in that warehouse.

• Love 2

Didn't watch but I'm enjoying the commentaries here, glad others have enjoyed the last couple. 

So let me get this straight....super spy Rita with all her many years of experience with the CIA had failed to cotton on to the fact they were back together? Jesus.

But then I guess that explains why Locksat are still at large if she's that hapless, at this rate they could be set up their super evil new headquarters next door to the loft with a flashing sign (obviously the other side to the building Beckett sneaks between) and the combined forces of Rita, Caskett and the entire NYPD would be oblivious since everyone seems dumb as bunch of rocks when it comes to this tiresome situation. 

Glad I was right when I said ages ago that I bet Beckett hadn't told Castle about Rita when they got back together, that's what I hate about the writing for this separation it sent Beckett back to her bad old ways of lies and secret keeping secrets. Seems that fundamentally she continues to have a problem with being open with Castle about important things unless she's pushed into it by circumstances. Sigh

She should have told him immediately they got back together not waited around, if Castle had kept something similar from her she'd have rightly gone ballistic. This further reinforces to me that Castle and Beckett talk about nothing substantial even off screen, what you see is pretty much all there is of their communication, their relationship feels superficial that all the champagne and kisses in the world won't disguise. 

Beckett needs to stop giving Castle love eyeballs in front of other people.  Or end the silly charade.

Yeah, I've seen a few pictures of Stana doing her best loveballs bit and whilst it's nice to see them if you remember for one second about the plot it's making Beckett look like she's completely lost her brain over this Locksat business (well okay she's not the only one) but for a supposedly smart cop she's doing an horrendously bad job of looking like she doesn't give a crap about her husband. 

God I hate Locksat with a burning passion of a million billion suns.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

Rick will never see Jackson or Rita again. What? Has Rita even seen Life In Pieces? I predict a sobbing reunion between father and son.

Poor Castle. Beckett makes him angry. Well, it's about time.

Loved the happy/torturer Russian dude. Nice contrast.

Wasn't bad, a solid COTW.

The Lionel Ritchie tribute plus Adele proving that she wouldn't be able to sing with headphones blasting in her ears either* give me hope that Castle won't be hurt too much by the Grammies.

*one would think The Grammies, of all shows, could get their sound right.

I really enjoyed the episode. Probably my favorite from season 8 so far. The Russian guy was definitely very unique, haha. For sure a guest character to remember.

Loved Castle bringing up that he's tired of being kept in the dark, and that he's still angry. Just wish Beckett would finally remedy that and tell him everything. The keeping secrets and the fake separation just kind of hover above everything like a dark cloud and leave a bitter aftertaste even when the episode itself was quite funny and enjoyable. I'm getting tired of that.

• Love 1

Good episode, though i didn't love it.  I thought the plotting got a bit convoluted towards the end and I didn't really care about the persons involved in the COTW. Didn't need to see the throat slashing shot of the victim either. ;)  The Russian guy was definitely a guest star to remember, and the actor was great on Spartacus, but the character was a bit over the top for me at times.  I did like that he was a fan of Castle's writing.  Heat and Ice hehe.  I was waiting for Castle to interject and say Jameson Rook, chopped liver?  The scene where he gave Castle 60 seconds (I would have asked for five minutes heh) to interrogate the guy was good.  I liked TV showing that the non torture approach worked, for once. ;)  Much nicer if we could get a swanky Embassy party with Caskett dressed up and going undercover than the version we got.  I laughed at Beckett saying "Operation Nickel Tour", the boys nodding, and then Castle going, "what's that?".

Funniest lines for me were: "Twice." "What did you say?"  "It was nice."  LOL.  Shouldn't it be "thrice" though? :P  Also, "you're our favourite reality show".  Burn. Hehe.  

Thumbs up to Castle's baby gifts though.  His gift ninja skills were finally shining, only to be dumped on, poor guy.  Alexis' ones were boring.  What's wrong with Leonard Cohen lullabies? :P  I would dig that.  Along with baby kevlar, baby light saber (is there such a thing?).  The kind of things I imagined an overexcited Castle to give to his future baby with Beckett.  It's a bit weird seeing Martha and Alexis hang out at the PI Office instead of the loft, but oh well.  I miss seeing everyone in the kitchen at the loft.

Was it just me or had people forgotten that Jenny was pregnant?  How long has this pregnancy been going on now? ;)

"Howdy."  No, just no.  Take it from the ladies, Espo.  

Is it just me or were the accents mostly terrible in this episode?  The main guest star was ok, but the others...  what was up with that Finnish diplobrat's accent?  I am not sure, but I don't think Finns speaking English sound like that. 

Onto stuff that I was less entertained by...

I get what they were trying to do with Rita, with her and Beckett, and her and Castle, and I appreciated the intent, but I don't know... just the poor way they've set up this whole arc took away from the power of those scenes for me.  Not surprised anymore that sadly Beckett kept another thing from Castle (Rita), but it's disappointing all the same.  When they touch on the deceptive behaviour again, it really turns me off.  Beckett says she's sorry again, but how many times can you do the same hurtful thing to your closest before saying sorry stops meaning anything anymore?  Beckett said she's sorry, but unfortunately, I don't get the feeling it would stop her from doing the same thing again if she thought she was justified.  That's one of my problems with this whole characterisation.  I feel Beckett's still presented as justified because of her 'noble motives' ;), and people like Castle and Rita are enablers in her poor choices rather than holding her to account.  Everyone's just rolling with it because Beckett deems this the best way to do it.  I'm not sure Beckett really understands how much her behaviour hurts Castle, or maybe she does, but it still doesn't get her to change it.  Which is just terribly sad.

Yes, Castle, finally shared a very understandable and human reaction, that the anger still flares up, and got to say what many of us would be thinking in his position, that he's tired of being shut out for his own good.  He's a grown man, an equal partner, for God's sake.  Not a child.  He should be demanding to be treated like a true partner, which they should be.  But I feel like... Beckett's never going to change, and Castle's always going to love her the way she is.  That's good/bad depending on your pov.  She'll always be worth it to Castle even if it costs him, even when he disagrees with her ways, because he loves her.  It's just the way he loves.  All encompassing and ever forgiving.  I would say that the way Castle loves is one of his strengths as a character, but I'm not sure I could do the same if I were him.  

Castle made me feel for him with his queries about his Dad.  Deep down, there's still a boy in him who wants to be loved and valued by his Dad.  He loves his Dad in the way he loves Beckett, and his nearest and dearest.  He'll always love them and forgive them their sins, and seek their approbation.  It was nice that Castle & Rita had a heart to heart, but it felt a bit too little, too late.  Too easy, in a way.  The scene might have been more emotionally powerful to me if it were more messy.  If I were more cynical, I could say Rita lied to Castle about his Dad being proud of him and all that.  She saw how much it meant to him so she lied.  But this isn't a show where things really aren't as they seem, and Rita seems characterised as a spy with a heart of gold, so I guess I'll take he word for it. ;)  And is this her last appearance?  I think Cusack's played a thankless role (poor man's Irina), but who's to say Rita won't be seeing Castle again in the future?  

I wanted to roll my eyes so hard when Rita said she was taken in by the fake separation and joked with Beckett about the forbidden sex.  What I wanted Rita to do after she told Beckett that she really had blew up her marriage and gone down the Locksat rabbit hole- exact description of what she's done in a nutshell- was to ream her out for the stupidity of her decision!  I just wasn't in the mood for light heartedness when reminded of the stupidity of her choices.  That's the thing that was like a dark cloud for me in the episode which left a bitter aftertaste, despite the otherwise enjoyable stuff.  And oh, strip club hideout is still stupid.

The writers appear to have moved on from the Caskett conflict after their reconciliation in the fall finale, so I was a little surprised to see angry emotions brought up again here.  Not necessarily a bad thing because I always hoped they would deal with it in a deeper, more realistic way than the easy way in the finale, but I thought the writers just wanted to move on.  It will be interesting to see if Caskett fight about their approach to Locksat/keeping secrets again in the rest of the season.  I don't really need the angst, but blame the writers for opening the door to it with this stupid storyline.  

But glass half full, and it is when you can ignore the stupid Locksat storyline.

• Love 4
Was surprised to see Kathe Mazur as the Russian who faked her death cause I'm used to seeing her as the competent ADA on Major Crimes.

That's who she was.  Couldn't place her for a minute because of the heavy mascara and bad accent!  

What 6 countries have Castle and Beckett has sex in? What other countries do we even know they went to together? All their vacations got cancelled.

Ha, the biggest mystery of the episode.  How could I forget?!   Which were the only countries Castle hadn't been to with his ex-wives when they were discussing honeymoons?  Finland & Albania?  I like to think that Caskett have gone somewhere tropical together, because hot. :P  And Beckett did mention a private island.  Boring (because it's close) but plausible choice: Canada? : Don't get me wrong, I love Canada!  They could have gone there for a quick weekend away or during a work related trip?  They could have hit a few countries in Europe all at once.  They've likely both been there more than once though and I like to think of them discovering a new country together.  Also, I think Beckett has a sexy accent for whichever country they go to. :P  Also, I loved that Castle's keeping count of the countries where they've kissed.  Aw.

I think they are hanging on to the anger and secrets thing as an open door to a break up should S9 without Stana happen.

I think if Stana really were to leave the show before it ends, Beckett dying would be the only possible way out for the character.  Unfortunately.  

Still think it's impossible to say at this stage who will be staying/leaving should there be a S9.

madmaverick I want to frame your comments on the whole Rita situation and Kate withholding the truth from Castle and the way people are enabling her to carry on. It's got to the stage whenever she says sorry to Castle these days I sigh and shrug because I can't see it's even registered with Beckett that her actions are slowly damaging their relationship. But then why bother when a quick apology is all Castle needs, there is no incentive for her to change.

Is any one mentioning Castle and Beckett's dates 'Svetlana' and 'Dr Livingstone' after their reveals last week? I'm confused about that...has everyone just forgotten about the fact they're dating other people? To me that's a pretty huge deal if I found something like that out, normally your co workers would be interested in how things were going on that front.

And what exactly does Martha and Alexis know about what's going on? I assumed last week they all knew Caskett were separated and dating other people otherwise that would be even weirder if you told your work but left your immediate family completely in the dark, especially given Castle has always been close to family. I don't believe for one second Martha wouldn't have something to say to her son about this.

I know Castle has never been that hot on continuity but even by their standards it seems bad given sleeping with other people for these two would be a huge deal for everyone.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

She should have told him immediately they got back together not waited around, if Castle had kept something similar from her she'd have rightly gone ballistic. This further reinforces to me that Castle and Beckett talk about nothing substantial even off screen, what you see is pretty much all there is of their communication, their relationship feels superficial that all the champagne and kisses in the world won't disguise. 

Except that's so counter to everything we saw in seasons 6 and 7.  We know they did talk about substantial things and didn't keep secrets and then.....we got season 8.  Ugh.

Is any one mentioning Castle and Beckett's dates 'Svetlana' and 'Dr Livingstone' after their reveals last week? I'm confused about that...has everyone just forgotten about the fact they're dating other people? To me that's a pretty huge deal if I found something like that out, normally your co workers would be interested in how things were going on that front.

And what exactly does Martha and Alexis know about what's going on? I assumed last week they all knew Caskett were separated and dating other people otherwise that would be even weirder if you told your work but left your immediate family completely in the dark, especially given Castle has always been close to family. I don't believe for one second Martha wouldn't have something to say to her son about this.

No, we haven't gotten a single mention of Svetlana and Dr. Livingstone.  And Ryan and Espo don't seem to remember that they were mad at Castle or upset about the break up or anything.

Castle referred to still being broken up with Beckett with Alexis and Martha, so they definitely have not been told anything. Martha did comment that Castle didn't seem to be as upset about the break up these days, and Castle said he'd decided to just give Beckett time like she asked. So, Martha may guess they are actually back together.

But I feel like... Beckett's never going to change, and Castle's always going to love her the way she is.  That's good/bad depending on your pov.  She'll always be worth it to Castle even if it costs him, even when he disagrees with her ways, because he loves her.  It's just the way he loves.  All encompassing and ever forgiving.  I would say that the way Castle loves is one of his strengths as a character, but I'm not sure I could do the same if I were him.

Some people may say it makes Castle weak to let Beckett act like that, but I think it's actually a strength to be able to forgive like that.  And I like the idea that he knows she's flawed, but still chooses to stay with her because the good outweighs the bad.  Because no one is flawless and if you spend your whole life with someone you're going to get angry at each other at some point. He does tell her when he's angry and doesn't let her just get away with it, but also doesn't turn around and try to hurt her in return. That being said, Beckett does need to realize she doesn't need to keep protecting Castle. Partners should mean equal, and she used to know that.

I think Beckett's apology in this episode was much more heartfelt/sincere than in Mr. and Mrs. Castle.

• Love 2

I really think Castle is approached like a superhero show or sitcom, wherein something that is practically the end of the world one week is all but forgotten the next. I think they do this to make syndication work better. They want to make Castle a show that you can miss a few episodes and still enjoy without really having to be filled in on much.

These days, I consider continuity a pleasant surprise for most shows (if they aren't deliberately written as pure serials).

Except that's so counter to everything we saw in seasons 6 and 7.  We know they did talk about substantial things and didn't keep secrets and then.....we got season 8.  Ugh.

The secret keeping is annoying as hell and a regression in S8.  But at the same time, I never felt like we got the really substantial conversations between a new couple, a couple growing to make a lifelong commitment in S5-7 that I had expected to see either.  Their first conversations as a couple on topics like past marriages, future marriage, children, future hopes and dreams, weren't really talked about onscreen.

No, we haven't gotten a single mention of Svetlana and Dr. Livingstone.  And Ryan and Espo don't seem to remember that they were mad at Castle or upset about the break up or anything.

I think Ryan and Espo are less mad at Castle now that it seems to them that this dating other people is a mutually agreed upon decision.  

Too bad Svetlana didn't get a quick mention as part of the banter between Caskett in a Russian episode.   

• Love 1

The secret keeping is annoying as hell and a regression in S8.  But at the same time, I never felt like we got the really substantial conversations between a new couple, a couple growing to make a lifelong commitment in S5-7 that I had expected to see either.  Their first conversations as a couple on topics like past marriages, future marriage, children, future hopes and dreams, weren't really talked about onscreen.

We never got substantial conversations onscreen no. But at least before I got the sense that they were having them offscreen. I don't have that feeling now.

• Love 2

KaveDweller. Thanks for the update on the Svetlana/Dr Livingston situation. 

I really think Castle is approached like a superhero show or sitcom, wherein something that is practically the end of the world one week is all but forgotten the next. I think they do this to make syndication work better. They want to make Castle a show that you can miss a few episodes and still enjoy without really having to be filled in on much.

I could end up missing 7 episodes by my calculations if I hold fast to my rule of not polluting my brain watching any further separation silliness but hopefully that won't matter too much given how these guys like to operate plus I can get clued up reading the discussion threads heh. However, it is jarring especially when they're highlighting supposedly serious matters or life threatening situations and next week no one even bothers talking about it! If only in real life it was that easy to forget, move on and be all happy again, I guess that's what I should expect with these kind of shows that sense of escapism. 

Edited by verdana

I really am not into the stupid plotline of this season, so let me ask of people who have been paying attention:

1. Do we know that Rita is on "our side"?

2. Do we know that Rita is, in fact, married to Daddy Castle?

3. Do we care?

Thanx.

basiltherat, we have been TOLD that SuperSpyRita and Vikram are trusted and good but I for one harbor suspicions...same with the stepmother supposition though that felt somehow more believable. So I suppose that means maybe I am more suspicious of Vikram.

I also realized that, for me, the biggest issue with CAPT Beckett is that there is no longer anyone in a position to make her take a step back and look at the whole forest. In theory Martha or Jim could do that but Martha has so little interaction with her and Jim has none.

But I still overall enjoyed these two episodes considerably more.

Some people may say it makes Castle weak to let Beckett act like that, but I think it's actually a strength to be able to forgive like that.  And I like the idea that he knows she's flawed, but still chooses to stay with her because the good outweighs the bad.  Because no one is flawless and if you spend your whole life with someone you're going to get angry at each other at some point. He does tell her when he's angry and doesn't let her just get away with it, but also doesn't turn around and try to hurt her in return. That being said, Beckett does need to realize she doesn't need to keep protecting Castle. Partners should mean equal, and she used to know that.

I agree that Castle's ability to forgive is an enviable character trait. On the other hand the Beckett of this season acts the way she does because of that very thing. She knows she can do most anything & a simple "I'm sorry" will be good enough. She does not have to modify her behavior or learn from previous mistakes. She just bulls ahead & does whatever she wants & depends on Castle to overlook it (like he always does). Castle saying he is still angry does not mean a damn thing in the big picture. Beckett will do what she wants when she wants & he will always forgive her. It has become one of the most lopsided relationships on TV because the writers put them in this situation over & over. I bet they have a poster in the writing room that says "Angst = Beckett lies & keeps secrets. Castle finds out, gets pissed & then forgives her. Use at least once a season."

• Love 3

I agree that Castle's ability to forgive is an enviable character trait. On the other hand the Beckett of this season acts the way she does because of that very thing. She knows she can do most anything & a simple "I'm sorry" will be good enough. She does not have to modify her behavior or learn from previous mistakes. She just bulls ahead & does whatever she wants & depends on Castle to overlook it (like he always does). Castle saying he is still angry does not mean a damn thing in the big picture. Beckett will do what she wants when she wants & he will always forgive her. It has become one of the most lopsided relationships on TV because the writers put them in this situation over & over. I bet they have a poster in the writing room that says "Angst = Beckett lies & keeps secrets. Castle finds out, gets pissed & then forgives her. Use at least once a season."

They keep using it this season, but before that we hadn't seen it since season 5, when she supposedly learned her lesson and decided to change her ways. But I guess the writers can't remember that far back and are doing the same thing again. I hope Castle's conversation with Rita is leading to another real conversation about it with Kate. They needed it.

I wouldn't say it's totally unbalanced though, because Kate forgives Castle for everything too. We just haven't seen that this season.

Castle has really come back with a bang.  Last week's episode was very funny and last night's was pretty interesting.  Nick Tarabay (he played Ashur in the Spartacus series) was excellent as the Russian "more than he seems" intelligence agent.  I kind of figured that when Sergei was recalled to the motherland, a nice retirement dacha wasn't going to be part of his future and loved the way the Russian diplomat implied that without saying it ("Russian justice is complicated").   The last bit about getting between the sheets in a foreign country was also very cute. The writing has been very good so far and, hopefully, will remain so.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/81890144/lightsaber-baby-rattle-green-star-wars

If I were more cynical, I could say Rita lied to Castle about his Dad being proud of him and all that.  She saw how much it meant to him so she lied.
I’m cynical. I think she did.

But then, I don't think she's married to Castle's father either. 

I assumed last week they all knew Caskett were separated and dating other people otherwise that would be even weirder
Svetlana and the doctor were last moment lies to the boys. No reason to mention those fictional people to Martha and Alexis. It’s not like they particularly socialize with Ryan and Espo.
Also, ‘dating” can mean going for dinner and a movie. Not necessarily sex.

Edited by femmefan1946

2. Do we know that Rita is, in fact, married to Daddy Castle?

This is something that puzzles me - neither Beckett nor Castle have ever demanded any proof of Rita's connection to Jackson Hunt. I can't recall anything Rita has said (other than the name ":Jackson") that is specific enough to be convincing.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Rita be a semi-regular, since she has a certain appealing flippancy of manner that melds well with Castle's. It's just a pity we'll probably never get the scene I really want -- Rita and Martha sounding each other out.

If I were more cynical, I could say Rita lied to Castle about his Dad being proud of him and all that.  She saw how much it meant to him so she lied.

I’m cynical. I think she did.

But then, I don't think she's married to Castle's father either. 

I think she lied too.  I mean she said a few seconds earlier that his father never talks about him. So how would she know if he's proud one way or the other?

I trust Rita more than Vikram, but that may be because she's played by a better actress.

• Love 1

I think she lied too.  I mean she said a few seconds earlier that his father never talks about him. So how would she know if he's proud one way or the other?

Sounds like Rita was bullshitting when you put it like that, doesn't make sense, poor Castle but by next week he'll have forgotten he ever had a stepmother so it won't matter. 

I trust Rita more than Vikram, but that may be because she's played by a better actress.

Heh. Does any one sense Vikram is for the chop soon? He's better be. 

Dead Red – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review

This was episode 11; I’ve heard they plan to keep the annoying LokSat thing going until episode 16, when they end it for good and get Kate and Rick back together. Hope I can hang on that long.

There's a few of us marking that date in our diaries Melanie, I'll be getting the wine ready to toast the demise one of the most laughably inactive supervillains ever. 

By the way, speaking of Castle’s secret-agent-stepmom, when I worked undercover I tried my best to avoid hanging out at police stations. There were no huge/touchy-feely moments inside the precinct. After all, doing so sort of compromises your cover.

Besides, if Beckett is so bleepity-bleep afraid that her big-time secret mission could endanger Castle, so much so that they must pretend to be separated (why would merely being separated save him, anyway?), then why have him very publicly hanging out at the precinct while foreign and domestic spies wander in and out, take him with her to the Russian Embassy and to a swanky party there, and, well…dumb, dumb, and dumb.

Why would merely being separated save him anyway? Lee asks the question that over the course of this separation story no one can satisfactorily answer, although I've seen quite a few fans give it a try God bless them. 

• Love 1

I too enjoyed Castle’s baby gifts. The baby bullet proof vest and light saber made me smile. I agree with Madmaverick’s suggestion that these items would be a better fit for Castle and Beckett’s future kids (who will likely never exist, despite all the recent lunch “meetings”).

It was nice to see another episode where they referred to and/or showed Castle in his job as a writer. Two episodes in a row! Now they need to throw a book launch event or have a murder at a book signing, so Castle and Beckett can interact in his professional world together.

It was ridiculous watching Castle and Beckett receive calls demanding that they work together for the COTW while standing side by side in the precinct! This is just another contrivance that this inane arc requires. To be clear, Beckett’s “ex” currently hangs around her place of employment on most days but they are not a couple nor do they work together. That makes perfect sense to me. I often hang around at my ex’s job, a completely normal thing to do. Not suspicious or weird at all. ;) Lol

So sad to say this but even I am finding their over reliance on the sexy times the last few episodes to be a bit much. I can be plenty superficial so I would happily enjoy scenes like these if they weren’t being haunted by Locksat’s ghost. At this point I would much rather see them talk (what with so much going unsaid these days), hang out or have some other type of sweet or funny moment. Instead we are treated to the recent fake fighting/role play, champagne toasts, kisses and hints of embassy sex. It all falls flat for me against the Locksat arc.

Castle is not constructed to support an arc of this nature. Each episode, whether “real” break up or “fake” break up, continues to drive this point home to me. Someone mentioned in a different thread that Beckett’s mom’s case was actually a good fit for the show in terms of long term story telling. I agree. I didn’t love everything about the execution and details (the all powerful supervillain senator got to be a bit much over the years). However it naturally popped up and then receded multiple times without affecting the tone and feeling of the show. That’s part of what made the ultimate conclusion satisfying as a viewer. Multiple seasons watching Beckett, Castle and the team struggle and work to solve the case that helped define Beckett’s life gave that plot line weight and meaning.

The writers have tried to link Locksat to her mom and Bracken but it doesn’t hold any of the same resonance. They have not put in the work to develop this or even have it make a tiny bit of sense. Due to that fact, I’m not invested and I’m barely interested. I’m mostly annoyed at what they did to a show that was at one time, a pleasant and witty (and sometimes even sexy!) diversion.

I know this is the plot until a few more episodes go by. Such is life. If I squint and try not to look too hard, the last couple of episodes have been reasonably enjoyable. That is the bummer in all this for me. Without the specter of Locksat and the never ending break up that is the curse of S8, I would find S8 enjoyable enough for my purposes.

Despite some of my negativity above I am trying to go the glass half full route. I am holding out hope for the last third of the season and a strong finish to the series.

Edited by GoGiants
  • Love 5

Yes, GoGiants, glass half full, stop and smell the roses. I figure we only have 11-12 more original episodes of Castle left to go. Best to put on the blurred-out rose-colored glasses, kick back and enjoy the rest of the airings.

I haven't watched this season, but I think Castle's proposal back in season 5 spelled out to the audience that Beckett would ALWAYS keep secrets from him, but that he loves her anyway. It's annoying, but I feel like it's one of those character flaws viewers need to just accept if they want to enjoy the show.

• Love 1

Yes, GoGiants, glass half full, stop and smell the roses. I figure we only have 11-12 more original episodes of Castle left to go. Best to put on the blurred-out rose-colored glasses, kick back and enjoy the rest of the airings.

I've forced myself to stop watching Castle until 8x16 (haven't watched 10 or 11) because I know this fake fighting/lying is going to ruin the final 6/7 episodes of the season/series otherwise.

It's like you said, we are probably near the end of this, so it's just about trying to find enjoyment in a sea of stupidity at this point.

Edited by Chado

It was a good episode except the Locksat! It was a nice, light tone overall. I liked it.

If you watch the network feed of this episode with the closed caption option active, the text presents as 'LokSat'. Just sayin'. An entire season story line based on an acronym that nobody knows if it is a person or group even though the season is halfway complete. Such craziness. After all this time, viewers are still unable to visualize if any real danger even exists.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2