Type keyword(s) to search

The Returned In The Media

Season 2 trailer here.  Other shows are featured, too, but the link goes directly to the few seconds dedicated to The Returned.  If you watch the whole thing, there's nudity in the clips for one of the other shows. 

• Love 1

Reviews are in for the US version --- and despite the strong cast, they are mixed at best.

AVClub indicates it looks good, but it feels off compared to the French version -- and thinks it was wrong to ditch the French version's score by Mogwai.
http://www.avclub.com/review/its-walking-undead-returned-looks-good-feels-sligh-216024

I'm pretty sure the person who wrote the review for IGN never saw the French version because they make some glaring errors about the French version.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/07/the-returned-camille-review

The Hollywood Reporter describes it as an embarrassment
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/returned-tv-review-780258

The New York Times calls it a ghostly reflection of the French original.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/09/arts/television/review-in-the-returned-the-dead-return-as-if-nothing-happened.html

The LA Times liked it, but questions whether it was needed
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-the-returned-review-20150309-column.html

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Is an American version of anything ever needed? Not that I can recall. "Hole in the Wall" game show, maybe...I enjoyed the French series and if others are enjoying both versions, maybe the American will spark interest in the French and vice versa, and we'll all have more nice TV to enjoy.

• Love 1

Hi Palomar, the US show has it's own separate show forum - come join us in The Returned US for unspoiled discussion.  I am of course spoiled, but enjoy the comments because the US show has veered away from the original.  But, PLEASE watch the French version too :) 

• Love 2

Another trailer for Season 2 but not as good as the one earlier in this thread. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkwzHEYZj50

Began shooting in the Fall of 2014 and debuts in France in the autumn of 2015.  It will debut on the Sundance Channel in late 2015. 

http://deadline.com/2014/01/sundance-channel-picks-up-season-2-of-french-drama-the-returned-renews-writers-room-662533/

Details of what to expect in Season 2 here.

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/s224/the-returned/news/a600420/the-returned-series-2-begins-filming-ahead-of-late-2015-debut-in-france.html#~pbcnkYGSn1P922

• Love 2

Have been watching my cable guide for Season 1 marathon of The Returned on The Sundance Channel and today it popped up.  In my time zone (PDT) the 8 episodes of Season 1 will begin on Sunday, October 18th with episode 1 at 3 am and ending with a short preview of Season 2 at 12:45 pm.  Sure they will repeat them again before Season 2 debuts on Halloween, October 31st.  

ETA: Changed to only 8 episodes in season 1 and the last being a 15 minute preview into the new season. 

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 1

Well, I couldn't wait so I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2. I think  3 and 4 were already broadcasted. So far, I'm intrigued, it feels like it's moving towards a satisfying ending, but what do I know, only 2 episodes in. Should have rewatched season 1 or at least the last few episodes, reading the wikipedia synopsis as a refresher just didn't do it for me as I was a little confused who was whom.

Have been watching my cable guide for Season 1 marathon of The Returned on The Sundance Channel and today it popped up.  In my time zone (PDT) the 8 episodes of Season 1 will begin on Sunday, October 18th with episode 1 at 3 am and ending with a short preview of Season 2 at 12:45 pm.  Sure they will repeat them again before Season 2 debuts on Halloween, October 31st.  

ETA: Changed to only 8 episodes in season 1 and the last being a 15 minute preview into the new season. 

Reposting as tonight's the night that season 1 will be on The Sundance Channel in a marathon beginning at 3 am in my time zone (PDT) and earlier in the other time zones.

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 1

Well, I couldn't wait so I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2. I think  3 and 4 were already broadcasted. So far, I'm intrigued, it feels like it's moving towards a satisfying ending, but what do I know, only 2 episodes in. Should have rewatched season 1 or at least the last few episodes, reading the wikipedia synopsis as a refresher just didn't do it for me as I was a little confused who was whom.

Did it pick up kinda where it left off? 

Can't wait for S2!

The finale just aired.

Twitter reactions (at least based on what Google Translate tells me) are...interesting.

I have seen the finale already, and I really liked it, the whole second (and obviously final) season is definetly worth watching.

Of course you can't expect from a show like that to get every question answered, every mystery solved and the fate of every character made a 100% clear in the finale, that's just impossible, and was never the intention of that show in my opinion. But compared to let's say "Lost" you are served more than well.

To me the final conclusion was definetly satisfying, altough it leaves room for interpretation. There ist one really clever twist in the final episode that connects it to the first episode of S1, from which we get to know how The Returned got there in the first place, but obiously I'm not going to spoil anything here, that would be unfair.

I'm just saying so much that one scene in the finale actually made me tear up in front of the screen, and that doesn't happen very often to me, so I'm good with the finale.

• Love 1

nobody13 where did you watch season 2?  In the U.S. it doesn't start until Halloween on the Sundance Channel.

It's on couchtuner, in French with English subs, but I wouldn't recommend watching it if you don't understand French, because the English subs are horrible, and clearly made by somebody who's English is pretty bad, sometimes the subs say the complete opposite of the real dialogue, sometimes dialogue is left out completely, unfortunately.

• Love 2

I found an article online in French that I attempted to translate into English. There are some parts I fumbled over, I tried to mark them. Perhaps a French speaker can clarify them for us. I have marked my own comments with italic. 

http://biiinge.konbini.com/series/cinq-theories-sur-la-fin-des-revenants/

Monday, October 19, Fabrice Gobert brought a conclusion to the series Les Revenants, with the release of the last two episodes of season 2. Return to the confusing finale, worthy of that of Lost.

"You've trusted me, and I promised you that we will have answers to our questions. Why all these deaths?" This speech from the character of Milan at the beginning of episode 7 seems to come out of the mouth of Fabrice Gobert, the creator and showrunner of the most mysterious series seen on the small screen since Lost. To answer this question, the author has chosen to take short cuts. The end of Les Revenants raises more questions than it answers, or at least is subject to many interpretations. We tried to see it more clearly.

# 1 Victor and The Butterfly Effect

Victor is the key, we knew for quite some time. The most enigmatic “returned” of the series has powers that he seems at times to control, but not all the time. In season 1, two people kill themselves despite themselves in his presence. He has visions of the future, that he records in his drawings. "You must help us, they rely on you," said Lucy, guardian of the horde of the undead. In the end, we learn that he is the cause of the phenomenon. He brought his father back to life, which triggered a chain reaction  returning to life the inhabitants of the small town.

Several questions on this fascinating character arise: who brought Victor to life? Who are his parents? Is Julie, whose destiny is irrevocably tied to that of Victor, his biological mother? Did Fabrice Gobert watch The Butterfly Effect too much? Like Ashton Kutcher in the movie, Victor is magic: he has the power to change the course of events. He may therefore be a divinity, a messiah, a bridge between the living and the dead.

# 2 Love guides Les Revenants

With Les Revenants, Fabrice Gobert is interested in nothing less than the foundation of human existence: love, death, life. Left on their own, without love, his undead become real zombies, like Audrey, who ends up eating her mother. Paradoxically, they seek the love of their loved ones but cannot live among them, otherwise they wither and lose their skin ... Alone, they become real zombies, like those seen in the forest or in the cave. The only exception are the star-crossed lovers Simon and Adele, who transcend this rule. A modern-day Orpheus and Eurydice, they are destined to doom, but their love surpasses death. Like Victor's love for Julie, which surpasses fate. Victor managed to change the future to save those he loves.

Beyond the theories about the plot of Les Revenants, the series remains a possible metaphor for mourning for those who remain. Even when the missing ones are back, they cannot live alongside the living. "We are like you want to see us," says the character of Etienne to his son.

# 3 The Allegory of the Cave

Back in philosophy class, in Book 7 of Plato's Republic, the Allegory of the Cave is described thus: "Here men in an underground dwelling-shaped cave, which has its entrance open to daylight; they are there since childhood, legs and neck caught in connections/chains (“liens”) that require them to stay put and to look only forward, they are unable, because of the chains, to turn his head; comes to them the light of a fire burning in the distance above and behind them; and between the fire and the chained up men, a road higher up, along which a low wall was raised in the same way as puppetmasters use partitions separating them from the people; it's above where they show their wonders. [...]"

Given that Greek mythology is the inspiration of showrunner, Fabrice Gobert, we can interpret the return ("marche") of the revenants to the cave late in the season (the "wall" of the story could be the dam) as a wink to this text, which divides the sensible world (things) the intelligible world (the idea of things).

# 4 Psychro Cave and the symbol of water

This famous cave where the undead evaporate can also be seen as the Psychro Cave, considered the birthplace of Zeus, who was hidden there by his mother Rhea to protect him against his father Chronos. This famous cave represents the divine, the mystery, the passage to another world. It is filled with water after the passage of the revenants, which echoes the entire plot around the dam and the water level that // only makes it to his head // makes it his own way. (“et du niveau de l’eau qui n’en fait qu’à sa tête”) (I have no idea how to translate this.)

Water is a powerful symbol, especially in the Bible. It grants a purifying, healing, fertilizing virtues... The Diluvial myths evoke the flood and the return to origins as well as an idea of the cycle of time.

# 5 The elect

In Les Revenants, Lucy, Victor and baby Nathan hold particular roles. One is the trigger, the other is the guide of her people, the third acts as a sort of key, which Victor uses to return the revenants to their world. (or this might mean which uses Victor to return the revenants to their world)

The final scene of the series reveals Lucy, who entrusts the orphaned “a priori” baby, fruit of the love between Adele and Simon, to an unknown couple battalion. This also leave the door open for a season 3, which seems still unlikely in view of declining audiences that season 2 of Canal + (400,000 viewers in the final).

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 2