Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Good Life

• Start Topic

Axe orders his traders to unload their positions, and he unceremoniously disappears from Axe Capital, plunging the firm into chaos. As Axe questions his life choices and plans a trip on his new yacht, Wags and Wendy struggle to maintain order and morale. In response to Axe's disappearance, Chuck intensifies his investigation, which leads him to a farm in Iowa, where he discovers a key witness to a questionable trade. Armed with the damning evidence, Chuck sends the FBI into Axe Capital to make a surprising arrest.

Promo:

Clips:

Well, I do remember one episode of Sex and the City, when Samantha got naked and placed sushi all over her body, as a surprise for her boyfriend. But I didn't know that it's done in public (ha.. I almost accidentally typed "pubic") places. Clearly, I need to get out more.

• Love 2

So Axe was about to bail but the police union guy reminded him how much he liked scoring money?

Of course unloading stocks before they tanked could also be insider info.

Are those tattoos on Malin Ackerman real or did they put them on for the character?

So Axe was about to bail but the police union guy reminded him how much he liked scoring money?

Of course unloading stocks before they tanked could also be insider info.

Are those tattoos on Malin Ackerman real or did they put them on for the character?

No he was never going to bail, it was a set up.  Remember Constantine from the 4th episode?  The meeting?  Axe pretends to want to leave the country and basically fakes out everyone to act on the tip Constantine gives him by pretending to have a midlife crisis.  He never planned on going anywhere.  He lies to everyone. 

I am iffy on this show.  I think the actors (well some of them) have talent.  The writing varies from okay to atrocious. I am still interested in finding out what happens so that is something.  Also, the characters are all unlikable and not House of Cards or Mad Men unlikable...just really unlikable.  I pretty much hate Chuck.

• Love 3
Also, the characters are all unlikable and not House of Cards or Mad Men unlikable...just really unlikable.

I agree. They're all repugnant to me and I don't know who I'm supposed to be rooting for.

I think the audience is expected to regard Axe as a cool, hip billionaire à la Mark Zuckerberg. However, Damian Lewis has at least ten years on Mark. Axe comes across to me like one of those midlife crisis guys who swap their luxury sedans for expensive sports cars and start dressing like guys half their age. Trying too hard.

I'm also having difficulty buying Axe's marriage. It seems to me that someone in his position would've traded in for a younger model but I guess maybe Lara knows where too many of the bodies are buried. If this show lasts for more than a couple of seasons it'll be interesting to see if she maintains that ride-or-die attitude.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I keep wanting to recast this show and put Paul Giamatti in the Axe role, Maggie Siff in the Chuck Rhoades role, David Costabile as her husband. I'd probably keep Lara as is; the rest can shuffle around any way they like because I can't tell them apart.

• Love 1