Type keyword(s) to search

Christmas Movies

• Start Topic

On 12/24/2022 at 8:49 PM, Scarlett45 said:

The Muppet Christmas Carol is my most favorite Christmas film🥰🎄

We still need to watch it. We're currently watching Gremlins, so I looked for a thread, and it brought this one up. :) 

• Like 2

I watched 8-Bit Christmas a couple weeks ago and I liked it. It’s what A Christmas Story could have been if it actually had some kind of point or moral at the end—plus more people theses days can relate to wanting a Nintendo more than a stupid BB gun.

• Like 1

I had to refresh my fire stick which made it possible for me to FINALLY watch Candy Cane Lane. It was HILARIOUS and definitely a movie I can rewatch. Eddie Murphy almost Never disappoints! 

Began my Christmas movie Marathon last night- with Die Hard (unpopular I know, and bittersweet considering Bruce Willis’s current health) and yes, followed by Lethal Weapon (Darlene Love!) and Trading Places is next, followed by all the Rankin Bass movies and Charlie Brown.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I had to refresh my fire stick which made it possible for me to FINALLY watch Candy Cane Lane. It was HILARIOUS and definitely a movie I can rewatch. Eddie Murphy almost Never disappoints! 

Began my Christmas movie Marathon last night- with Dis Hard (unpopular I know, and bittersweet considering Bruce Willis’s current health) and yes, followed by Lethal Weapon (Darlene Love!) and Trading Places is next, followed my all the Rankin Bass movies and Charlie Brown.

I loved Candy Cane Lane! I swear though, I did NOT know that guy was Nick Offerman until the end.

You can never go wrong with Die Hard and Trading Places!

• Applause 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Die Hard (unpopular I know,

It's not my cup of tea (I saw it back in the day, it was fine, but not my type of movie, and nothing I've ever re-watched), but you're in the majority, not me -- lots of people and articles cite that as one of their favorite Christmas movies (especially here; it won the first "Favorite Non-Traditional Christmas Movie" award).

I don't have any Christmas movie traditions.  I don't like most traditional ones, and don't make an annual habit of watching any of the non-traditional ones I like.  I might watch some favorite Christmas sucks Christmas episodes of favorite TV shows, though.

• Like 1

If it occurs to me I'll have a list of go-tos every year. Die Hard and Home Alone are on it but the ones I have the most investment in are Mickey's Christmas Carol, Charlie Brown (60s) and The Grinch (60s). I particularly love the 60s Grinch but that's due to Chuck Jones being involved. Love me some Looney Tunes and Grinch is Looney Tunes-esque in the best way. I found Charlie Brown on Apple+ yesterday and I'm watching Grinch right now on Peacock. Warm fuzzies all over.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

If it occurs to me I'll have a list of go-tos every year. Die Hard and Home Alone are on it but the ones I have the most investment in are Mickey's Christmas Carol, Charlie Brown (60s) and The Grinch (60s). I particularly love the 60s Grinch but that's due to Chuck Jones being involved. Love me some Looney Tunes and Grinch is Looney Tunes-esque in the best way. I found Charlie Brown on Apple+ yesterday and I'm watching Grinch right now on Peacock. Warm fuzzies all over.

I don’t know what happened but MeTV didn’t record this morning and so I missed  Bugs Bunny’s take on a Christmas Carol and the gang with the “Fa-la-las”!!!

Assuming it was in the line-up. Need to hunt it down.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I watched 8-Bit Christmas a couple weeks ago and I liked it. It’s what A Christmas Story could have been if it actually had some kind of point or moral at the end—plus more people theses days can relate to wanting a Nintendo more than a stupid BB gun.

I recently heard that book the movie came from were original just five stories unconnected to each other and only one happened at Christmas. They just put the stories together and decided to make them all happen at Christmas but not really connect them together.

• Like 1

I've never seen any Grinch movie before, but this year I watched 3 of them. The original short one from the 60's was probably the best objectively, even though I personally preferred the 2018 one. The story seems pretty simple, so the 25 minutes covered all that was needed and I liked that Grinch just disliked Christmas without any tragic backstory, those have been overdone recently. (Although I have to side-eye his plan a bit - if he hated all of the noise made by the villagers, didn't he risk that after all of their gifts are stolen, they will make even bigger noise, especially the children? Yes, it didn't happen, but it would be a safe assumption, IMO.)

The live-action one with Jim Carrey was awful. It started to annoy me after a while and I fast-forwarded through most of it. I don't know if it was the design or the God-awful acting, but I hated it. I did not care for the traumatic backstory, or the weird romantic subplot.

The new animated one from 2018 was great, on the other hand. The animation style was so cute and I loved how the whole town looked with all of those decorations. Even the Grinch seemed much nicer here (although I would still prefer if they skipped the backstory from his childhood - can we please just have villains or grumpy characters who are just that way, without any sob story?). I'll definitely have to rewatch this one next year.

• Like 5