Type keyword(s) to search

Christmas Movies

• Start Topic

On 12/23/2018 at 9:31 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Does anyone remember the 90s Nutcracker movie with Macauley Culkin? Dug it up on Netflix last week. It was the first version I ever saw as a kid and I liked it fine enough back then. But now that I've seen other productions...yeah, this wasn't the best one. It was obvious they only cast Macauley because of how big he was. Poor kid, he tried, but not the best ballet dancer.

Yeah, I recall that. Inasmuch as I always liked the music but thought the whole ballet anticlimactic after the Nutcracker's fight with the Mouse King  before Act One was even over, I didn't see it.

However, I had to laugh at the thought of an unknown number of Caulkin fans who may have eagerly rushed in to see this movie thinking that this was going to be a version of Home Alone in which Kevin  would  have  . . . cracked  others' nuts (and I'm not talking pecans here) only to be disappointed that it was a filmed ballet! 

Nobody  who appeared oncamera besides Culkin himself was even remotely known to film audiences (and even the leading girl Jessica Lynn Cohen who played the protagonist called Marie has never appeared in another movie).

However; it was narrated by Kevin Kline over the vigorous objections of Kit Culkin (Macauley's stage  and bio father and Bonnie Bedelia's brother) which initially was to be deleted as one of the elder Mr. Culkin's demands but wound up reinstated by the producers after the elder Culkin made so many other demands that the producers went with Mr. Kline's narration out of spite. Oh, but the younger still-minor Culkin wound up doing no publicity for this movie as per his father's dictums but evidently as an adult has been estranged from his male parent.  I'm not sure publicity could have saved this picture from winding up being a bomb! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, I recall that. Inasmuch as I always liked the music but thought the whole ballet anticlimactic after the Nutcracker's fight with the Mouse King  before Act One was even over, I didn't see it.

However, I had to laugh at the thought of an unknown number of Caulkin fans who may have eagerly rushed in to see this movie thinking that this was going to be a version of Home Alone in which Kevin  would  have  . . . cracked  others' nuts (and I'm not talking pecans here) only to be disappointed that it was a filmed ballet! 

Nobody  who appeared oncamera besides Culkin himself was even remotely known to film audiences (and even the leading girl Jessica Lynn Cohen who played the protagonist called Marie has never appeared in another movie).

However; it was narrated by Kevin Kline over the vigorous objections of Kit Culkin (Macauley's stage  and bio father and Bonnie Bedelia's brother) which initially was to be deleted as one of the elder Mr. Culkin's demands but wound up reinstated by the producers after the elder Culkin made so many other demands that the producers went with Mr. Kline's narration out of spite. Oh, but the younger still-minor Culkin wound up doing no publicity for this movie as per his father's dictums but evidently as an adult has been estranged from his male parent.  I'm not sure publicity could have saved this picture from winding up being a bomb! 

Geez, his dad really was an asshole. I thought Kevin Kline's narration was just fine.

• Love 2

Well, I started my "official" watch of Christmas movies last night with...

Trading Places! 

Tonight will resume with Home Alone. I'm saving the BEST for last, and that's Die-fucking-Hard!

"Yippee-Kai-Yay, Motherfucka!"

"I'm not the one who just got buttfucked on national tv!"🤣🤣

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm saving the BEST for last, and that's Die-fucking-Hard!

Not a Christmas movie MY ASS.

I watched Muppet Christmas Carol last night -- the BEST Christmas Carol -- and now I'm watching the second best one Scrooged right now. Then I'm watching Bad Santa.

I will watch Die Hard tomorrow as well, but Eddie Murphy on SNL has put me in the mood for Trading Places tonight.

Merry New Year @GHScorpiosRule!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's what had me watching Trading Places first this year! It just brought home how much I miss seeing Eddie on teevee!

I actually was hoping Dan Aykroyd would make a cameo on Eddie's SNL show just to do a follow up of Billy Ray and Louis. That would have made a great Cold Opening, given their aptitude at screwing over certain scummy rich people ;)

• Love 5

What's that you say? Thanksgiving is next week? It's time to whip out my Christmas movies!!!!

1. Die Hard (BEST Christmas movie EVAH!!!)
  2. Trading Places ("It was the Dukes! It was the Dukes!")
  3. Home Alone (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern getting their asses kicked!)

That's for this weekend, and also the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!

What?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What's that you say? Thanksgiving is next week? It's time to whip out my Christmas movies!!!!

What?

All great choices, and might I add Planes, Trains and Automobiles?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What?

Never seen Trading Places, and I hate Home Alone, but Die Hard is indeed the best Christmas movie in history.  It, the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol, and the Black Adder Christmas special are the three things I try to watch every year.  (And the original Grinch and Charlie Brown, of course - thank you PBS for making that last one possible this year.)

• Love 1

Just watched Last Christmas with Emilia Clarke and I liked it. Yeah the twist could be seen a million miles away but I don’t because it changed from a romcom to a story about her learning to take control of her life and stop finding excuses to be a victim.

Also Daddy’s Home 2 is now my guilty pleasure Christmas movie. Shut up! It was better than the first movie and the singalong at the theater was great! SHUT UP!

• Love 2

Anyone else remember The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus?  It's an old Rankin/Bass TV special that hasn't endured like Santa Claus is Coming to Town or The Year Without a Santa Claus.  It's a little out there (based off an L Frank Baum book that I've never read) but I had a VHS recording off the TV that I practically wore out as a child.

• Love 1

I am a sucker for The Lemon Drop Kid with Bob Hope, which is rarely shown anymore and I believe which introduced “Silver Bells.” Jane Darwell is Nellie Thursday and Lemon Drop Kid opens Nellie Thursday’s Home for Old Dolls to pay off gambling bets. Lots of familiar faces in this one and some giggles. Also a sucker for Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck. Yeah, it’s a really flimsy storyline of Barbara as a lying “Martha Stewart” of her day and gets stuck in even more lying to try to save her job, but who cares! The “snowy country in Connecticut” setting is charming and Barbara is gorgeous! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Anyone else remember The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus?  It's an old Rankin/Bass TV special that hasn't endured like Santa Claus is Coming to Town or The Year Without a Santa Claus.  It's a little out there (based off an L Frank Baum book that I've never read) but I had a VHS recording off the TV that I practically wore out as a child.

Yes! I actually just watched it this morning! 

• Love 1

I watched Elf for the first time ever the other day. I didn't love it...

I don't know, I'm not really feeling Christmas movies this year. The only one I really enjoy is "Christmas With The Kranks" and I haven't seen it playing on TV in the past couple of years. 

I did watch Gremlins, though, heh. I had forgot how graphic it was. And that is was a Christmas movie. 

On 12/15/2015 at 12:36 AM, Ruby25 said:

I've always been curious, does Home Alone hold up for people who didn't grow up with it? I wouldn't know, since that movie has been so seared into my brain since I was four, that I have no outside perspective on it. I think I know every scene by heart. But it's such a classic- I just wonder if it's mostly for people of a certain age.

I've rewatched Home Alone twice this year and I've done a complete 180 on it.  I kind of think it's a masterpiece and Macaulay is extraordinary.  I've been sleeping on this movie for decades!  

• Love 4

Recently watched The Grinch (2018) for the first time, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Like the Jim Carrey version, I still take issue with them adding a whole bunch of new characters, backstories, and extraneous scenes to pad out the film (but I get why). However, this one gets points for being a lot less Jim Carrey, and a lot more kid-friendly. I did like that Cindy Lou Who had a bit more to do (or at least more relative screentime) than the other versions. The real standout was Max, who was such a good boy! I thought it was interesting that apparently the Grinch isn't really considered an outcast or a monster; I mean, no one was surprised or afraid that he was in town buying groceries -- despite being the only person in Whoville who was furry and green.

And I did get a kick out of the hip-hop version of "You're a Mean One...".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nytpYtLtHpE

Edited by Trini
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've rewatched Home Alone twice this year and I've done a complete 180 on it.  I kind of think it's a masterpiece and Macaulay is extraordinary.  I've been sleeping on this movie for decades!  

I like Home Alone (although my kids love it so I have seen it a ton of times). One thing that really is impressive is how tightly written it is and how there are little things that explain everything band there aren't really any plot holes. Like all the stuff to explain how they forget Kevin (his ticket goes in the garbage and his cousin miscounted), they can't get ahold of anyone because all the neighbors are out of town and how Kevin is afraid to just call the cops because he shoplifted the toothbrush.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Trini said:

Recently watched The Grinch (2018) for the first time, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Like the Jim Carrey version, I still take issue with them adding a whole bunch of new characters, backstories, and extraneous scenes to pad out the film (but I get why). However, this one gets points for being a lot less Jim Carrey, and a lot more kid-friendly. I did like that Cindy Lou Who had a bit more to do (or at least more relative screentime) than the other versions. The real standout was Max, who was such a good boy! I thought it was interesting that apparently the Grinch isn't really considered an outcast or a monster; I mean, no one was surprised or afraid that he was in town buying groceries -- despite being the only person in Whoville who was furry and green.

And I did get a kick out of the hip-hop version of "You're a Mean One...".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nytpYtLtHpE

Despite the fact he was more grumpy than actually Grinchy, yeah I thought it wasn’t bad either. Plus I had to laugh at the “stress eating” sequence because, you know, quarantine.

Let me be clear: the original Boris Karloff is still the best and I’m not saying otherwise. I’m just saying this one was wasn’t terrible.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I like Home Alone (although my kids love it so I have seen it a ton of times). One thing that really is impressive is how tightly written it is and how there are little things that explain everything band there aren't really any plot holes. Like all the stuff to explain how they forget Kevin (his ticket goes in the garbage and his cousin miscounted), they can't get ahold of anyone because all the neighbors are out of town and how Kevin is afraid to just call the cops because he shoplifted the toothbrush.

They even have an explanation of why they have the doggy door in the kitchen that Marv sticks his face through. At the very beginning when Kate is on the phone, she tells them that they boarded the dog.

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Let me be clear: the original Boris Karloff is still the best and I’m not saying otherwise. I’m just saying this one was wasn’t terrible.

Oh, totally agree! I'm planning on watching that version this week.

The thing about Home Alone that I refuse to believe is that a woman like Kate McCallister wouldn't have an internal clock that wakes her up prior to 6:30 a.m.   Forget that none of the 14 other people in the house woke up to pee between 6-7 and thought they should wake the rest of the crew up.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6

"Muppet Christmas Carol" is a timeless masterpiece, the best adaptation of that story and Michael Caine is the best Scrooge. My inner eight-year-old doesn't tolerate differing opinions. 😉

I love watching "The Last Unicorn" during the holidays. It's so poetic and really suits that time of the season.

Edited by katha
  • Love 10

I watched A Diva's Christmas Carol on You Tube last night. It was the first time I'd seen it all the way through--I turned it on about halfway through when it was first run in 2000 (twenty years ago--wow!) and never got around to watching the rest. I thought it was pretty cool; it had sort of a Dreamgirls feel. You can gender flip it, change the time period, and add or delete characters, but as long as you trust the traditional story it will still be engaging. The scene where the child Ebony Scrooge is separated from her brother brought tears to my eyes.

ETA: I also came across some other Christmas movies I hadn’t previously seen and watched them yesterday. One was Klaus, an animated movie about the origin of Santa Claus (no, it’s not about the Bishop of Myra). The other was a 1935 version of A Christmas Carol called Scrooge. I had never heard of any of the actors except Maurice Evans, who had one scene as a poor man pleading with Scrooge to give him more time to pay his debts. It was pretty good except for cutting many of the scenes of Scrooge’s past: no lonely Christmases at boarding school or Fezziwig’s party, but inexplicably including scenes of sailors partying on ships and a banquet of Queen Victoria’s.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5
On 12/22/2020 at 9:26 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Despite the fact he was more grumpy than actually Grinchy, yeah I thought it wasn’t bad either. Plus I had to laugh at the “stress eating” sequence because, you know, quarantine.

Also related to quarantine, Grinch also has a "Home Stay Home" embroidery(?) on his bedroom wall!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Funny that I came across a version of "A Christmas Carol" I'd never seen before.  This one released as a miniseries in 2019.

I caught the last episode or two and.... I despised it!!

It seemed like it was trying to be "artsy" with the special effects and odd atmosphere.  So many elements of the story were reworked in non sensical ways!  Tiny Tim is shown as dying by skating on thin ice (!), he also looked like a dwarf, rather than a sickly child.  When Scrooge comes to his senses, he says the counting house would close it's doors and never reopen.  What?  The point was that he kept working but he did ease up on the purse strings by giving Cratchit a raise and using some of the money for charity.  Prior to that, Cratchit has put in his resignation (!) because he couldn't stand Scrooge anymore.  Excuse me, but considering the hard times for people of that level in 1840s England, Cratchit ate Scrooge's crap because he needed to support his family - it's not like you could just walk into another job!

Scrooge never reconciles with his nephew Fred and Fezziwig is left out entirely!  Did I mention a rat was beheaded?

Cratchit's wife was sorely miscast!  Plus her bare butt apparently needed to be seen in this version.   Just a mess all the way around.  I never thought I'd ever see a variation of A Christmas Carol that I couldn't find something to like.  I finally found it.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, magicdog said:

Funny that I came across a version of "A Christmas Carol" I'd never seen before.  This one released as a miniseries in 2019.

I caught the last episode or two and.... I despised it!!

It seemed like it was trying to be "artsy" with the special effects and odd atmosphere.  So many elements of the story were reworked in non sensical ways!  Tiny Tim is shown as dying by skating on thin ice (!), he also looked like a dwarf, rather than a sickly child.  When Scrooge comes to his senses, he says the counting house would close it's doors and never reopen.  What?  The point was that he kept working but he did ease up on the purse strings by giving Cratchit a raise and using some of the money for charity.  Prior to that, Cratchit has put in his resignation (!) because he couldn't stand Scrooge anymore.  Excuse me, but considering the hard times for people of that level in 1840s England, Cratchit ate Scrooge's crap because he needed to support his family - it's not like you could just walk into another job!

Scrooge never reconciles with his nephew Fred and Fezziwig is left out entirely!  Did I mention a rat was beheaded?

Cratchit's wife was sorely miscast!  Plus her bare butt apparently needed to be seen in this version.   Just a mess all the way around.  I never thought I'd ever see a variation of A Christmas Carol that I couldn't find something to like.  I finally found it.

I watched it for about an hour last year and then quit. When Scrooge hadn't even left the office 45 minutes in, I said, "Nope." It sounds like I didn't miss much. Finding out that it left out Fezziwig (one of the few bright spots of Scrooge's youth) and the reconciliation with Fred but added more nastiness doesn't surprise me. 

• Love 2

With the annual slew of Hallmark Christmas movies about to make the rounds again, I figured I would list a few of the ones I like to rewatch:

A December Bride*- An aspiring Interior decorator who always hoped to marry in December finally meets her match

The Nine Lives of Christmas - A guy who is reluctant to settle down falls in love with a pretty veterinary student.

A Royal Christmas  - An aspiring fashion designer learns her fiance is a prince and goes with him to meet his mother, the Queen.  She is not amused.

Christmas at Cartwright's - A woman pretends to be a man to get a gig as a department store Santa to make ends meet.  She gets a bit of help from a Christmas angel.

Hats Off to Christmas - A woman working in a specialty hat store is denied a promotion in favor of the owner's son.  She has to show him the ropes.

A Crown For Christmas -A woman becomes a governess to a young princess, but love with her father is in the cards.

A Family For Christmas - Santa grants a single news reporter a look at what life would have been like had she married her college boyfriend.  A variation on the story from the film, "The Family Man"

A Wish For Christmas - A woman makes a wish to have courage to stand up to her jerkass bosses.

A Carol Christmas - Yet another spin on A Christmas Carol.  This time Carol is a TV talk show host who is visited by her deceased aunt to show her the error of her ways.

Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus - Santa comes looking for a bride, and he may have found her in the form of a businesswoman in L.A.

When Angels Come To Town - Two Angels help two families in a small Maine town.

Eve's Christmas - A woman wakes up 8 years in her own past to undo past mistakes.

Help for The Holidays - One of Santa's elves finds there's more to life than business at the North Pole.

Naughty Or Nice - A woman finds Santa's Naughty or Nice book, and uses it to her advantage.

It's Christmas Carol! - A twist on A Christmas Carol story.

12 Wishes of Christmas - A woman whose life goes off the rails get a unique opportunity.

12 Dates of Christmas - I really like this one - with a Groundhog's Day like dilemma

12 Gifts of Christmas - An artist becomes a gift consultant to a CEO.

A Princess for Christmas - A woman with her orphaned niece and nephew go to live with their estranged Grandfather - who is a Duke of an English estate.  A play on the classic, Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Kristin's Christmas Past (Technically this aired originally on Lifetime but still worth a watch) A woman wakes up in her family home 17 years in her past, after having had a falling out with her family over her life choices.

* With a slight reservation that part of the storyline involves the main character forgiving her cousin for having stolen her fiance years earlier.  Other than that, it's a likeable film.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

I watched Home Sweet Home Alone on Disney plus with my kids this past weekend. It was not very good. The kid was way more of a jerk than Kevin. I really hope Ellie Kemper got paid really well to be in it, because she deserves way better than this.

• Love 1

All I could think about when watching Home Sweet Home Alone (as I do when I watch the other Home Alones as an adult) is that after the first trap the perpetrator should be dead or severely, life alteringly injured. 

Home Sweet Home Alone: 

Spoiler

I just couldn't watching the husband takes a billiard ball from an air rifle to his forehead.  No traumatic brain injury.  No frontal lobe damage.  He just gets up and takes another.  

And no, I'm not a hoot at parties.  In fact, I seldom get invited.  Why do you ask?

In all honesty, if the movie was better that stuff can be hand waived away.  But it's not a good movie.  And I agree that Ellie Kemper deserves better.  At least you watched it because you have kids.  I had no real reason other than morbid curiosity.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3

While I have zero interest in watching Home Sweet Home Alone, I was amused to hear that Kevin is referenced as the head of a security company, and that Buzz wound up working for him. So the brother that bullied him now has to call him boss! Revenge is sweet!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Come On Yes GIF by Freeform

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
On 11/16/2021 at 2:27 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I watched Home Sweet Home Alone on Disney plus with my kids this past weekend. It was not very good. The kid was way more of a jerk than Kevin. I really hope Ellie Kemper got paid really well to be in it, because she deserves way better than this.

LOL she took the part willingly knowing that she was shitting on a classic!  I have no sympathy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm in the mood for some Holiday romance this year so I've watched Love Hard, Dash & Lily, and just finished watching Single All the Way. I enjoyed all of them and I'm happy I can get some diversity on Netflix. None of them are a classic like A Diva's Christmas Carol but I could see watching them again.

I really liked the fact that Luke Macfarlane's character wasn't a butthole, he just wasn't the right one. They ought to do a spinoff next year with his character. I loved the family, especially Lisa. Halfway through the movie I had to stop and Google because I knew I knew her. Jocelyn from Schitt's Creek! She was hilarious.

I thought the Task Rabbit thing was cute, I liked that he enjoyed putting up lights. That's always my favorite thing about any of these movies, the outdoor shots with everything all lit up.

• Love 1

So normally I hate Hallmark/Lifetime-type Christmas movies with the fire of a thousand burning nuns, but I did watch one on ION called Christmas Down Under.  Now it had all the usual cliches of the genre and it wasn't particularly good, but it was entertaining in a cheesy movie kind of way and it was set in Sydney so the scenery was great.  And although the Aboriginal character and the Indian character were also cliched, they were funny as hell.  As were the two cops were clearly Sydney's version of O'Leary and Minogue from Wellington Paranormal.

Plus, there was a cute black pug puppy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh, my god, the Carrie comparison...XD. Also snorted at "Narrated by the white Morgan Freeman". That was great. 

Hadn't realized just how many characters Carrey's played that were green, either! Interesting. 

• Love 3
On 12/21/2021 at 9:45 PM, Annber03 said:

Oh, my god, the Carrie comparison...XD. Also snorted at "Narrated by the white Morgan Freeman". That was great. 

Hadn't realized just how many characters Carrey's played that were green, either! Interesting. 

I love Honest Trailers. That one was hilarious!

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

A video that sums up why Muppet Christmas Carol is the best version ever, period:

The Muppets Mic Drop GIF

I have to tie it with Scrooged. To me those two are the equally the best. Bill Murray was great in it and so was Karen Allen. Kelvin's siblings decorating him instead. He was so adorable. I always love Frank's speech at the end especially the part about Christmas being the day we are the people we always hoped we'd be.

The Muppets Christmas of course has Muppets! I love Muppets. They are all so adorable. I love Michael Caine he did such a great job. It was really perfect movie. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I saw one for the movie Twister once that had me in tears, I was laughing so hard :D. 

My favorites are Pearl Harbor, Taken and Cinderella. Murdering mice song from Cinderella, calling the stepsisters Kardashians and remark about how the fairy godmother should have called CPS. 

• LOL 2