Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Dick and Karen

Everyone was very harsh with Dick. Even the professionals! Hoarders always emphasize that hoarding is a disease, but but I guess Dick was just being a dick. The man was coping with what was going on the only way he knew. He was chastised for wanting to keep his jewelry collection. Granted he was responsible for ruining the house, but come on people he's a hoarder. An 83 year-old hoarder who deserve some compassion like all the other hoarders on the show.

• Love 4

I did feel a little sorry for Dick, he reminded me a little of my dad--my dad was not a hoarder, but if you confront him with something he may have done wrong, he would take the "nuclear option" too (to hell with it, I'm outta here).  The word I am thinking is machisimo and men from that generation don't take well being called out on their shit.  I knew Dick would come around in the end.  

That being said, Sandy needs to RUN!  She should have ran 29 and 1/2 years ago, but better late than never.  Ok, I could see how she feels like she owes it to take care of him after all of these years, so how about she help him with the medicaid paperwork and check him into a nursing home.  That man cannot live on his own.

Now Karen's story was pretty mild to me, but what gives me the side eye a little was the fact that her daughter and grandson had to move in with her.  I love it how the mom of that baby (don't remember her name) had no choice but to move in with the hoarder.  Really?  I would rather live in my car that subject my child to that fire trap.  Why didn't the daughter insist on clearing out, say, just one room for her kid to live in?  

• Love 10

Dick was tough to sympathize with, but he was clearly ill both mentally and physically (he seemed so gaunt). That doesn't mean Sandy's kids should let him continue to ruin their mother's life, if they can help it. Dick will hoard up whatever space he has for the rest of his life.

Karen was very sad. Her hoard looked clean, at least. Even the interim shots of her home looked good, so there didn't seem to be the usual hoarder squalor going on - just way too much stuff. I wondered about the daughter having to live there, too. I'd think she'd have some other option but don't want to judge. That family certainly had a lot of pain to deal with. Daughter Tonya was so angry, it was uncomfortable to watch.

• Love 5

yeah you have no where to live and your onlly option for free rent is to take your 2 year old to your mother's dangerous hoarded up house and then cry that CPS is going to take him away from you. Why don't you get a better place to live? I am sure sister Tonya would have taken all of you in.

• Love 7

Kudos to Sandy to deciding to split up and sticking with it.  So rare to see on this show.  Too bad that the house was a total loss, but she should, at least, be able to sell the lot.  Her retirement will be a lot easier if she is just paying for an apartment and not 9 (?) storage units.  I think that realizing that the house was a total loss was the final straw, though his choice of the stuff over her obviously pushed her to the edge.

• Love 3

Man, the whole Tonya/Karen dynamic was SO me and my mom that it was scary to watch. My mom's thing isn't hoarding, it's a whole mess of other crap, but the interaction rang true. There is SOOOO something else going on there that they didn't even touch on. Wonder what it is.

• Love 2

She may be able to get some scrap value for her doublewide.  Someone in our community scrapped their singlewide out when it was too far gone to fix (it was an older model and wasn't worth the cost to fix it).  It was actually kind of cool to watch the people systematically dismantle it every day - took about a week.  She may not get much, but it's better than nothing, and saves her the cost of having someone haul it away.  If she lives in a community and rents her lot, she may not have a choice.  Our community rules say that uninhabitable homes must be removed at the homeowners expense.

I had little sympathy for Dick.  He saw a sucker coming with her and bled her dry.  I also did a little finger wagging at her for sticking it out for so long.

I cringed when I saw the opening shots of their kitchen.  Her doublewide was a Windsor.  They are the coolest.  Our neighbors have a Windsor singlewide, and they have the coolest retro features, like the large curved kitchen area, and massive amounts of built-ins in the bedrooms.  They also have cool bathrooms.  Such a shame.  :(

Dick was aptly named. I hope Sandy really does stay clear of him. What a waste of all those years.

Yeah, Dick lived up (down?) to his name. He looked like an elderly Al Sharpton. Couldn't one of Sandy's children have let her stay with them for those 3 months instead of her having to stay in that apartment with him?

Kudos to Sandy to deciding to split up and sticking with it.  So rare to see on this show.  Too bad that the house was a total loss, but she should, at least, be able to sell the lot.  Her retirement will be a lot easier if she is just paying for an apartment and not 9 (?) storage units.  I think that realizing that the house was a total loss was the final straw, though his choice of the stuff over her obviously pushed her to the edge.

I'm not so sure she's sticking with it. She's letting him stay with her in the apartment "until the lease runs out." Codependent enablers have a very hard time making a tough decision stick, especially if it hurts someone they're used to caring for. I'm afraid she may be telling herself "it's just for 3 months" but it's really the first step to back where they were and hoarding out the new apartment.

• Love 6

Dick needs to be under some kind of care.  A senior facility of some kind, not just an apartment.  It's good Sandy is getting treatment for co-dependency because...damn.   Dick is mentally ill and it's likely that his original issues are compounded by the effects of aging.   I did feel a little sorry for him at points when he had no one trying to work with him, nor did he have any relatives present.  Even though one of Sandy's kids made her say that this was all partially her fault, they all fairly quickly fell into a "blame Dick" groove.  Yeah, he deserves blame but she's right there with him.  You don't end up with a hoarded house and 9 storage units by accident.  You're a full fledged passenger on the crazy train, too.

Karen is one of the hoarders who gave me hope.  With some therapy, she could be fine.

• Love 3

If Peggy is the cruelest hoarder we've seen, I think Karen's story was the saddest. Anyone, like me, who has gone through a divorce and seen how much it hurt the kids, can imagine a young teen killing himself over it. I had a very 'there but for fortune,' moment with that and like Karen, it probably would have sent me over the edge. We've seen people whose loved ones have died, but child suicide must be right up there as one of the worst things ever.

Please Hoarder show, lighten up. It's been days and I'm still thinking of tragic little boys and puppies whimpering in cages.

• Love 4

She may be able to get some scrap value for her doublewide. Someone in our community scrapped their singlewide out when it was too far gone to fix (it was an older model and wasn't worth the cost to fix it). It was actually kind of cool to watch the people systematically dismantle it every day - took about a week. She may not get much, but it's better than nothing, and saves her the cost of having someone haul it away. If she lives in a community and rents her lot, she may not have a choice. Our community rules say that uninhabitable homes must be removed at the homeowners expense.

I had little sympathy for Dick. He saw a sucker coming with her and bled her dry. I also did a little finger wagging at her for sticking it out for so long.

I cringed when I saw the opening shots of their kitchen. Her doublewide was a Windsor. They are the coolest. Our neighbors have a Windsor singlewide, and they have the coolest retro features, like the large curved kitchen area, and massive amounts of built-ins in the bedrooms. They also have cool bathrooms. Such a shame. :(

My dream is to find a cool old structurally sound mobile to remodel. You piqued my interest enough to google Windsor. I found a spacious single wide with 1.5 baths and 2 bedrooms. It had the built ins and cool curved kitchen. It's a shame that place wasn't maintained. You can paint the paneling and refinish the cabinetry yourself, and put in laminate and carpet and it would be so retro cool. If only I didn't live in a hurricane zone. I just have a thing for mobile homes.

If Peggy is the cruelest hoarder we've seen, I think Karen's story was the saddest. Anyone, like me, who has gone through a divorce and seen how much it hurt the kids, can imagine a young teen killing himself over it. I had a very 'there but for fortune,' moment with that and like Karen, it probably would have sent me over the edge. We've seen people whose loved ones have died, but child suicide must be right up there as one of the worst things ever.

Please Hoarder show, lighten up. It's been days and I'm still thinking of tragic little boys and puppies whimpering in cages.

Yes, Karen's story gave me a few tears. I can't imagine living through my child's suicide.

I did feel a little sorry for Dick. Usually the family members are the ones that don't understand & the therapist tries to make them see it's a disease. But in this case they were all yelling at him, therapist included, & it's clear he didn't get it.

• Love 2

My dream is to find a cool old structurally sound mobile to remodel. You piqued my interest enough to google Windsor. I found a spacious single wide with 1.5 baths and 2 bedrooms. It had the built ins and cool curved kitchen. It's a shame that place wasn't maintained. You can paint the paneling and refinish the cabinetry yourself, and put in laminate and carpet and it would be so retro cool. If only I didn't live in a hurricane zone. I just have a thing for mobile homes.

Growing up, I had family members and friends who lived in mobiles, so I never turned my nose up at them, but we also did a lot of camping in travel trailers, and I hated every minute, so I could just never see myself living in one.  Then our landlady sold the house we rented for 17 years with little notice.  My parents said they would help us relocate since we didn't have anything saved up (since we had no notice - we've been trying to pay bills down and improve our credit, and it's been working), but it became clear quickly that finding something to rent for a reasonable price and that would allow our 2 cats was nearly impossible.  They discussed giving us a down payment on a house, and then we found several singlewides for sale in a nice community with reasonable lot rent and that would allow pets.  We could buy an older mobile for little more than what a house down payment would be.  Ours is a '77.  It was well cared for.  We're only the 3rd owners.  It has a lot of nice upgrades (shingle roof, vinyl siding, normal sized door, etc).  It needs some work - all cosmetic (cabinetry, new flooring surfaces, etc) but it is just so fun and funky.  The older mobiles are awesome.  Just stay 1976 or newer, unless you want to re-do the wiring.

• Love 2

The thing that made me angry about the Karen episode was Tonya. If you're SO CONCERNED about your nephew, why the hell didn't YOU offer your home to your sister when she needed it? And her saying that she didn't think it was a mental illness? Nope, sorry, you're just a bitch. Poor Karen.

• Love 1