Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Headed to the Altar

• Start Topic

With the wedding of Brandon and Michaella just days away, as the excitement builds for the big day, we take a look back at their relationship and courtship, from their first days together to the romantic proposal!

FYI -- The episode number is not a typo.  The Up network lists this as episode #14 for the season.  Episode #3 (15 Kids and an Empty Nest) was last week; Episode #4 (Wedding Bliss and a First Kiss) is next week.

I was hoping for never before scenes but it was just reshowing things already shown.

Poor Callie crying like she did when Michaela came out in her dress.

BTW, did anyone else notice the different spellings in the show of Michaela's name? They showed it as being Michaella and then as Michaela.  Wonder what the correct spelling is?

• Love 1

It's because for some reason they needed an extra week to get the wedding episode ready.  Rather than skip a week of show they threw a week of filler in for us. 

I guess only Michael(l)a knows for sure. ;)

• Love 2
BTW, did anyone else notice the different spellings in the show of Michaela's name? They showed it as being Michaella and then as Michaela.  Wonder what the correct spelling is

That's pretty much Michaella's life story. Poor girl has had so many names thanks to her parents. Starting out

Michel then becoming Michael because her parents decided the person she was named for in the Bible

wasn't a good person and it cost too much money to change her name but it was free to add one letter so

she became Michael. Except most people saw her name and assumed she was a boy. So then she became

Michaela but thanks to this show and the Duggars half of the time is spelled Michaela and the other half

Michaella. I don't think anyone knows what spelling to use.

After all that I can't wait to see what she names her kids.

• Love 1

Looking back at the rehashed footage, I can't help but wonder if Kelly thought Brandon was going to back out and that's why she pushed so hard for a wedding date. I don't think it was unreasonable of Brandon to want to finish school and get some money saved before becoming formally engaged. That's how it's usually done in the real world, anyways. I also got the vibe that Mr. and Mrs. Keilen weren't feeling the "aw, shucks" hillbilly shtick either, but played nice for the cameras.

• Love 2

It's interesting reading Michael and Brandon's respective stories about their courtship.  Brandon says Michael wasn't easy to get to know, and Michael admits that she didn't want to appear too "forward":

I had purposed to not allow my feelings for him to be obvious, because I had seen many forward girls lure guys into a relationship.

I wonder if she's talking about any of her sisters here.  This idea that the girl has to sit back and wait for Prince Charming to come knocking on her door, without giving him any hint of her own feelings, is so silly and outdated.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 3

I hadn't seen any of their courtship because I just got UP, so this was all new to me. I don't think I like Michael(la). She was trying so hard to do the "right" thing and behave like a "lady." She dropped that schtick real fast when her sister innocently touched Brandon! I need to go find that entire episode because home girl was ready to throw down over a little arm tug.

• Love 3

I hadn't seen any of their courtship because I just got UP, so this was all new to me. I don't think I like Michael(la). She was trying so hard to do the "right" thing and behave like a "lady." She dropped that schtick real fast when her sister innocently touched Brandon! I need to go find that entire episode because home girl was ready to throw down over a little arm tug.

Michael reminds me too much of Jill Duggar and I think that's why she rubs me the wrong way. I could seriously have seen her doing some Glenn Close Fatal Attraction type shit if Brandon called things off or started seeing another girl. Her singular obsession with him is odd to me.

• Love 4
Michael reminds me too much of Jill Duggar and I think that's why she rubs me the wrong way. I could seriously have seen her doing some Glenn Close Fatal Attraction type shit if Brandon called things off or started seeing another girl. Her singular obsession with him is odd to me

I get what you mean, but I keep reminding myself that these women are behaving the way jr. high kids do because they are so socially behind other young people who have been allowed to have crushes, date, etc.  I mean, Michael(a) is in her mid-20s but behaves in every way as a 40 year old except for when it comes to relationships.  I see the Duggar girls similarly, and Brandon is just plain awkward.  He doesn't even seem like a real person, if that makes sense.  It seems like he's some character out of a 1950's sitcom. I'm waiting to hear him utter the words, "Gee golly, Mrs. Cleaver."

• Love 10

I haven't seen enough of Michael to say I don't like her. It's clear she liked Brandon a lot from the beginning and felt he was the 'one'. She's not unlike myself or any of my friends who met someone in our early twenties and instantly took a serious liking to them. I don't think she's trying to 'behave like a lady'...she's just very chill and reserved. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, IMO.

• Love 5

Michaela's clearly liked Brandon a really long time and its nice that she married the guy she really

liked. I just wish it was more obvious Brandon loved Michaela. I hope he does for her sake and is

just reserve for the cameras. After two seasons I still don't see that he loves her.

• Love 5

I see glimmers now and again that he is very attached to Michaela but he's also very aware of the cameras.  I think he's one of the most affected by filming and it makes him quiet and awkward.  Of course, he could be affected by the cameras and still not be as attached as some of the other husbands.  At least he seems to care a lot more for Michaela than David Waller does for Priscilla. 

• Love 3
After reading about their courtship, it's a miracle they ever got together at all.  Michael should be sending flowers to Brandon's sister because it sounds like she was the one who finally nudged him to contact Gil Bates.  The whole thing is very Jane Austen.

I agree.  It is very Austen-ish, but for me it doesn't translate as romantic...just kinda sad.  It seems like Michael had pined away for Brandon for years--literally, and finally, when it seems his family might have started to feel like Brandon needed to marry,  he was turned toward Michael.  She seems so in love with Brandon, and I'm happy for her, but like my fellow posters, I wish there was a bit more SOMETHING from Brandon that showed he was just as excited about Michael than she is with him.  I thought it was sweet that Michael just melted and sobbed during her scavenger hunt proposal.  She really does love him.  I suppose all's well that ends well!

• Love 5