Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

The new Fallon is--not great.  Kinda awful, actually.  Fallon is a hard role to cast (as the producers found out in the original) and maybe no one could do justice to Pamela Sue Martin but they could have come a lot closer than this.  Hopefully she'll be the first Carrington child recast.  Oh, and where's  Jeff?  

As I wrote upthread, Pamela Sue Martin brought an elusive quality to the character of Fallon. You could never quite pin down Martin's Fallon. (And Maverick -- you are absolutely correct that Fallon was a hard character to recast.)

I think Jeff Colby (Sam Adegoke) starts at 1:41 in the trailer.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about Cristal being kind of shady. That was kind of the point of the character- that her innate goodness contrasted with the evil around her. And the catfights took awhile to happen.

I'm fancasting Melinda Clarke so hard for Alexis. Make it happen, Josh Schwartz! (Don't be stupid and let the show play out for a year without her, especially since it seems like the Steven storyline is being significantly altered so the trial may or may not happen.)

. I think Grant Show is 55 and he looks better then the "kids".

Call me shallow but I'm disappointed Steven isn't hot. Say what you will, but Steven was damn hot in his first incarnation, and not too bad in his second one.

Recently, watching reruns I was struck by how much I think young John James resembles Armie Hammer. They totally look like they could be related, IMHO.

Also, the actress who played Kirby reminds me so much of Vanessa Marano from Switched At Birth. (She also did a t.v. movie where she gets raped by a preppie young Dennis Quaid.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

What is going to be the main business of this show? Atlanta doesn't scream the oil or energy industry. I guess they went with Atlanta as it is a more racially diverse city than Denver, but I don't think there was any indication of what business the Carrington's are involved in. Maybe it's a generic conglomerate here?

As far as other characters go:

I think Jeff Colby (Sam Adegoke) starts at 1:41 in the trailer.

That should be New Jeff, yes.

Claudia (played by Brianna Brown) is listed as a guest star, not a main character. And, interesting that most sites are just listing her as Claudia, and not Claudia Blaisdel, or with any last name. Anyone have more details?

Nick Wechsler is also listed as a guest star, but no details about the character I can find. Mathew Blaisdel, maybe?

Edited by BBHN
30 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Nick Wechsler is also listed as a guest star, but no details about the character I can find. Mathew Blaisdel, maybe?

Well, he'd certainly be experienced with night-time soaps, since that's basically what Revenge turned into starting about halfway through the second season.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Well, he'd certainly be experienced with night-time soaps, since that's basically what Revenge turned into starting about halfway through the second season.

Really? I always thought of Revenge as a nightime soap from the jump- albeit one with significantly better acting.

I wish Pop was still rerunning Dynasty. I popped in on the Adam/Kirby/Jeff triangle and I found it fascinating.

• Love 1

Fourth-season confrontation between Alexis and Claudia over Danny:

Alexis: "You owe me an explanation, Claudia, and I want one right now!"

Claudia: "Alexis, I did not move Danny in with Blake and Krystle as an attack on you!"

Alexis: "That child belongs to me just as much as he does to Blake!" 

Claudia: "I am not denying that, but right now Danny is safer at Blake's than anywhere else."

Alexis: "That place is a prison! It's got guards, it's got fences, it's got visiting hours! Now Blake refuses to allow me into that fortress-- what am I supposed to do, send Danny a postcard?!?"

Claudia: "Steven and I will bring Danny to see you anytime you want."

Alexis: (takes folder, throws it on desk) "Now Steven is that child's father, and he makes the decisions, not you, Claudia!"

Claudia: "Understand this, Alexis-- as far as Steven is concerned, I am Danny's mother, and I don't need anyone's permission to act where my son's safety is concerned."

Alexis: "Safety-- with Blake Carrington?! That man destroys, Claudia! He destroys from within."

Claudia: "And what would you do, Alexis, to satisfy your hatred of Blake-- would you jeopardize Danny's safety?! If that's true, I feel sorry for you, and that really is all that I have to say."

(Claudia sits down quickly, Alexis storms to office door)

Alexis: "Then we both said all there is to say...for now."

(Alexis leaves quickly, slams door as Claudia sits, gaping)

• Love 2
On 5/15/2017 at 7:21 PM, Jan Spears said:

Maybe I'm misremembering this but I think Stanwyck and Evans did have a scene together in the Fall of 1985 when the Colbys came to Denver. It was at the party at the Carrington mansion but I think it was 'Rita as Krystle' who played the scene with Constance Colby (Stanwyck).

Joan Collins famously refused to appear on The Colby's because she thought the launch of the spin-off diluted the main show and led to the ratings drop in Season 6. I do think Spelling&co. launched the spin-off one year too late but that wasn't the main reason why the mother show declined. In my opinion, more important factors were the unsatisfactory resolution of the Moldavian Massacre cliffhanger (only Ali Macgraw and Billy Campbell's characters died), the Krystle-Rita mess that went on forever, the lingering Moldavian storylines and characters, and -- yes -- Joan Collins' salary strike which caused her to miss the first episode of the season.

We never got Collins-Stanwyck but we did get Beacham-Stanwyck which was one of the best things about The Colby's.

Katharine Ross was miscast as Francesca and it didn't help that Stephanie Beacham gave a performance in overdrive as Sable. Also, it didn't help Ross that the character of Francesca, as written, was a much more vacillating and morally ambiguous character than Krystle was on Dynasty. In the hands of another actress, Francesca could have been a fascinating anti-heroine. As it played out, though, "Frankie" was kind of a dead weight in the Sable-Jason-Francesca-Zach quartet.

Speaking of Evans/Stanwyck, here are some great photos of them from 1985:

$T2eC16Z,!y8E9s2flCuuBRSeWNyBC!__60_57.JPG.jpg

ZBlue3.jpg

colbys000.jpg

Dynasty celebrated its 40th anniversary on January 12th!

I celebrated by watching the Season 4 (1983-84) cliffhanger, which is also Pamela Sue Martin's farewell to the series. She's so good in this episode -- no one did restless like she did.

There are so many good things: Sammy Jo making Steven's life miserable ("I want him [Danny] raised by a real man!"), Kirby pulling a gun on Alexis, Blake losing control of Denver-Carrington, the run-up to the Fallon-Jeff wedding including Krystle slamming a mud pack in Alexis' face at a salon, the wedding itself with the Carrington mansion enveloped in a storm straight out of Dark Shadows, Alexis' arrest for the murder of Mark Jennings, and Fallon, bedeviled by headaches, fleeing into the storm. Oh, and Dominique sings a torch song at La Mirage!

Perhaps the best scene is the quietest one: Steven visits Fallon in her room on the afternoon of the wedding and realizes something is definitely wrong. Contrary to its reputation, Dynasty could still do affecting character scenes when it wanted to. And Martin proves here that she had chemistry with both Stevens.

Best dialogue:

Alexis (to Dominique): "What are you doing - here - in Denver?"

Dominique: "Among other things, obviously making you very uncomfortable!"

• Love 2

Alexis' arrest for the murder of Mark Jennings

In that ridiculous dress! Alexis being walked to a jail cell in that silly dress past all the catcalls from the other prisoners is gold!! One of my all-time favorite scenes! 

Martin proves here that she had chemistry with both Stevens

The brother/sister dynamic between them was so much fun to watch. They were so different, but had such an obvious affection for each other. Theirs was really the show's most solid relationship; all the romantic ones had their ups and downs, with many falling apart along the way, but Fallon and Steven knew they could always count on each other. 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, DXD526 said:

In that ridiculous dress! Alexis being walked to a jail cell in that silly dress past all the catcalls from the other prisoners is gold!! One of my all-time favorite scenes! 

The brother/sister dynamic between them was so much fun to watch. They were so different, but had such an obvious affection for each other. Theirs was really the show's most solid relationship; all the romantic ones had their ups and downs, with many falling apart along the way, but Fallon and Steven knew they could always count on each other. 

"Let me out of here!!!"

I agree about the Fallon-Steven relationship. No matter what, that relationship remained steadfast.

I watched the Season 5 season premiere (original airdate: 09/26/84), which picked up where the Season 4 finale left off. The premiere is a bit of a letdown after the high energy Season 4 finale. There's a lot of exposition and not much action -- Sammy Jo is the biggest mover of story by sparring with Steven and Krystle and playing Adam for a fool. Classic Steven/Sammy Jo dialogue:

Steven: "I'm gonna say this straight Sammy Jo -- I want you out of this house!"

Sammy Jo: "My gay ex-husband saying it straight? It must be kind of hard Steven -- a real chore for you."

Billy Dee Williams joins the cast as Brady Lloyd in the premiere. He and Diahann Carroll have a ball together in their first scene although, when Dominique asks Brady what he'll have to drink, I wish he had said: "Colt 45". (Side note: Dominique's suite at La Mirage is soooooo 80s with all these pastel colors.)

Pamela Sue Martin's absence is already felt in the Season 5 opener. And it's not just that she and the "Fallon spin" are no longer in the opening credits. The character of Fallon gave the show a certain grounding. Without her, the show already feels like it's drifting into the ether. In retrospect, it's obvious that Pamela Sue Martin and the character of Fallon were impossible to replace.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 1

I liked that prior to Steven 1.0’s departure, at his last gathering with the family, Fallon was the only one who would openly say out loud he was gay.

The season 4 finale also had a great line from Alexis:

Kirby : You bitch.

Alexis : If I am, take a lesson from me. You may need it in life.

While I did miss Fallon, I still enjoyed season 5 and thought overall it was the last really good season of the show. Though in the long run and with hindsight, I do wonder if the Fallon recast would have turned out better had they cast Emma Samms as Monica Colby instead, while Tracy Scoggins cast had been cast as Fallon 2.0.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, Hiyo said:

While I did miss Fallon, I still enjoyed season 5 and thought overall it was the last really good season of the show. Though in the long run and with hindsight, I do wonder if the Fallon recast would have turned out better had they cast Emma Samms as Monica Colby instead, while Tracy Scoggins cast had been cast as Fallon 2.0.

I finished watching the first half of Season 5 (episodes 1-12) today, and I will say that, based on this, Season 5 is much better than its reputation.

Contrary to received opinion, Season 5 is well-made melodrama rather than the all-out camp fest it's usually described as. There are any number of good stories -- Alexis' trial and conviction, Dominique's reveal that she's Blake's half-sister, Amanda's arrival and the reveal that she's Blake and Alexis' daughter, the Alexis-Dex-Amanda triangle, Krystle falling down the stairs at the mansion and going into premature labor, the introduction of Billy Campbell as Luke Fuller to add some much-needed life into the Steven-Claudia story, and Rock Hudson showing up in episode 12 to create drama between Blake and Krystle. There are even some quiet character moments as when a drunken Adam confides in Steven (of all people) that Kirby refuses to respond to his attempts to contact her.

Pamela Sue Martin hovers over the first half of the season like an apparition. It's telling that in episode 12 (December 1984), Krystle gives Blake a portrait of Fallon and the likeness is of Martin. So, at that juncture, all concerned were hoping that Martin would return to the series. I agree that Tracy Scoggins might have been a more believable Fallon if for no other reason than she wouldn't have spoken in a mid-Atlantic accent.

John James gets the worst of the first half as he has nothing much to do besides obsessing about Fallon. Clearly, the show was treading water with Jeff until they figured out what to do with Fallon.

One of the fun things about watching these episodes again for the first time in many years is that I recognized actors who had once been leads in the business but were now working as character actors -- Paul Burke, Bradford Dillman, Kevin McCarthy, Juliet Mills, John Saxon. 

• Love 1

Season 5 isn't that bad but it's tainted but the infamous Moldavian Massacre that ended the season. 

Tracy Scoggins would have absolutely made a better Fallon, not that anyone could replace Pamela Sue Martin.   I like Emma Samms but as Fallon not so much.  She just doesn't project the right type of confidence or fire for Fallon, even after they end that horrible Randall plotline where she's such a drippy mess.   It also would have more sense for Monica to have the British accent, having been raised by Sable.   But then Dynasty was never good at doing recasts, no matter how many times they did them.  

• Love 1

Season 5 is well-made melodrama rather than the all-out camp fest it's usually described as.

Like season 4, season 5 for me is a good mix of good soapy melodrama mixed in with nice spurts of camp here and there (Jeff saying "You bitch!" to Fallon's coffin at her funeral, loud enough for anyone to hear, was classic).

Season 5 isn't that bad but it's tainted but the infamous Moldavian Massacre that ended the season. 

Which is too bad, since the lead up to and the massacre itself are quite good. It's the aftermath to the cliff-hanger itself (only 2 recurring characters getting killed off) and the King Galen storyline (which definitely overstayed it's welcome) that were the let down.

• Love 1

Season 6 is where things go off and the rails and they're never quite able to recover.  It's due in part to the introduction of The Colbys, spreading themselves too thin.  But most of the season 6 plots were awful.   King Galen was definitely a low point, but I think it's beat by the horrid Rita plot.   How they couldn't see how boring and outlandish, respectively, each was and allowed to go on for so long is a mystery.  Then there's the introduction of the Fallmont's, a heretofore unheard of family that has a complicated backstory with the Carringtons,   The Fallmonts were boring AF.  And while I could be ok with Heather Locklear going between Dynasty and TJ Hooker, I couldn't take Ace from the Love Boat seriously.  They would have done much to introduce Jason and some of the other The Colbys characters to Dynasty to refresh it then doing the spin off and ditched the Fallmonts.   Having a powerful Colby come in who's a rival of both Blake and Alexis could have been interesting.   They still could have brought in Ben and you would have had Blake-Dominque/Alexis-Ben/Jason-Sable.   

• Love 2

Yeah, having resources diverted to The Colbys did the mother show no favors. Both the Rita and Galen stories might have worked a bit better had they both been 5 or 6 episodes shorter each, instead they both just seemed to drag on and on. Plus, the longer it went on, the more ridiculous it got that nobody seemed to notice Rita was impersonating Krystle. I will say however that Ben teaming up with Alexis to take down Blake was definitely one of the highlights of season 6. And one of the better storylines.

Having the Colbys join the show instead is a good idea. A third faction of sorts to spice up the already existing show dynamics.

Edited by Hiyo
22 hours ago, Maverick said:

18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Which is too bad, since the lead up to and the massacre itself are quite good. It's the aftermath to the cliff-hanger itself (only 2 recurring characters getting killed off) and the King Galen storyline (which definitely overstayed it's welcome) that were the let down.

I agree with Gordon Thomson's comment that the Moldavian Massacre itself wasn't the issue. The actual "event" was well-staged and executed. The problems came later. All the hype about the contract negotiations between some of the series' stars and the network during the hiatus suggested that there might be a cast "slaughter" come September (which was more far-fetched than the actual Moldavian Massacre.) Then, the first episode of Season 6 aired and. as many have pointed out, only Ali MacGraw and Billy Campbell's characters actually died in the aftermath. That felt like a cheat at the time; made more so by the fact that there were no long term after effects for the Carrington-Colby clan (except possibly for Steven, who had his second male partner die in the space of four years.)

Still, with the passage of time, it's easy to forget that the Season 6 opener was the highest rated episode of the entire series. There was still a mass audience for Dynasty in the fall of 1985. The series could have overcome the "cheat" factor related to the Moldavian Massacre but, unfortunately, the stories presented that fall were some of the series' worst. The Krystle/Rita/Joel Abrigore storyline was stillborn but endless. Moldavia was past its "sell by" date. The introduction of the Colbys had the curious (and negative) effect of leaving the mother show all-too-static while also making it hard to follow. (With so many characters moving back-and-forth between the shows, you really had to watch both to keep track of what was going on.)

I think a better written show would have spent more time dealing with the after shocks related to the Moldavian Massacre. There was a tremendous amount of story potential inherent in that, especially if the show had been a little bolder in terms of sacrificing certain cast members (i.e. Pamela Bellwood, who was probably the most "expendable" at that point.)

Edited by Jan Spears

There was a tremendous amount of story potential inherent in that, especially if the show had been a little bolder in terms of sacrificing certain cast members (i.e. Pamela Bellwood, who was probably the most "expendable" at that point.)

Given her story arc and demise in season 6, it probably would have been better had they killed Claudia off as well during the Moldavian Massacre.

With hindsight, Amanda should have been killed as well.  I didn't care for her Lolita-esque dalliance with Dex or how they changed from a sort of Sammy Jo 2.0 spitfire to suicidal mess.   The less said about her post-recast the better and I tend to ignore it ever happening--and apparently the producers too since the character was never mentioned much less seen ever again even in the reunion movie.  

Looking back, I'm not sure who else they could have killed off.  Blake, Krystal and Alexis weren't going anywhere.   I wouldn't want Dominique to go and I doubt they would have killed off the only black cast member.  Jeff was going to the spinoff.   Steven had already died once and being Danny's father was the main tie to keep Sammy Jo in the Carrington orbit.   I suppose they could have offed Adam.  Since his character was somewhat neutered later and it was determined he wasn't really Adam (I think) it may have been just as well.

• Useful 1

I'm somewhat mixed on Amanda. I did enjoy the the Amanda/Dex/Alexis triangle, and thought she was being set up nicely as a good rival for Sammy Jo. But the recast put the kibosh on all that. Out of all the Carrington children recasts, it was probably the worst. In the end, the pros to me outweighed the cons, so I'm somewhat glad they kept her around.

As for Adam, seasons 7 and 8 definitely weren't his best, but like Fallon, I'd say he had a pretty good return to form in season 9, as I enjoyed him and Alexis versus Sable, Jeff, and Monica, as well as his bitchy sparring with Dex. Like Amanda, he shouldn't have been killed off in the MM.

Claudia would probably have been the best choice for me. While not a true Carrington, she had been on the show since the first episode and had lots of history with much of the cast, particularly Steven and Krystle . Plus, given her relationship to Adam at the time, it would have given her death an extra bit of tragedy. She was important enough that her death would have given the show some gravitas, but not important enough that having her die then would derail the show all that much. And her character would have died while on good terms with much of the rest of the other characters, as opposed to her status when she does die at the end of season 6.

• Love 1

With the benefit of hindsight (lo these 35 years later), here's my short list of characters who should never have made it out of The Moldavian Massacre (some of my choices weren't at the actual event in 1985):

1) Claudia (Pamela Bellwood): The handwriting was on the wall for the character by the end of Season 5. Killing off Claudia would have created new opportunities for drama as Steven, Krystle, Jeff and Adam all had strong connections to her. Adam, in particular, had a unique relationship with Claudia that was blossoming into something more than friendship. Losing Claudia (arguably his only friend in the Carrington mansion) after losing Kirby the year before could have sent Adam into a season-long tailspin. (Adam already had to suffer from not being the favorite of either one of his parents.) It would have been interesting for Steven to have had to step up and help the brother he didn't much like.

2) King Galen (Joel Fabiani): This would have had the advantage of opening up further storylines for Amanda. She's now stuck in a marriage to a prince who no longer has a kingdom to inherit. Does she stick it out while her husband tries to reclaim a now non-existent throne? Or does she follow her passion for Dex? In other words, it would have forced Amanda into a season-long balancing of duty and desire. The show kind of/sort of kept the Alexis/Dex/Amanda/Michael drama going in Season 6 but this would have really kept it going.

3) Lady Ashley (Ali MacGraw): This one is still a no-brainer 35 years later. The character never clicked to begin with and the show needed to clear the decks for the Fallon-Jeff reunion.

4) Rosalind (Juliet Mills): Amanda thought she was her mother until she discovered otherwise. Rosalind should have been brought in the run-up to the wedding to spar with Alexis about the marriage itself with Rosalind taking the position that Amanda was much too young and immature to become a crown princess of a European kingdom -- which she was! Having Rosalind die in the melee would have only added to Amanda's troubles. By chasing after life with the Carringtons, did she inadvertently contribute to Rosalind's death?

5) Brady (Billy Dee Williams): Brady could have showed up in Europe hoping to reconcile with Dominique and attended the wedding as her guest. His dying would have put Dominique in the same position that Amanda would have been in with Rosalind. Also, Jackie could have been introduced in Season 6 blaming Dominique for involving the only father-figure she had ever known in the Carrington drama; thereby leading to his death.

My scenario would have created a unique dynamic between Adam, Amanda and Dominique. Each were outsiders who looked to the Carrington family for too many answers and each would have found that the Carrington name and family didn't bring them the happiness they sought. 

Edited by Jan Spears
18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Geoffrey Scott, aka Mark Jennings on the early seasons of this show, passed away.

I heard the news today. For an actor who only appeared in two seasons, Geoffrey Scott made a lasting impression. Apart from his performance, he had the good fortune to appear on Dynasty when it was really hitting its stride -- Seasons 3 and 4.

• Love 1

But Mark's demise did lead to Alexis being accused of his murder, arrested, and put on trial, which was a great storyline, so Mark got a good sendoff. Alexis in prison garb is a highlight of the series!

• Love 1

How many knew Al Corley, Steven #1, was a doorman at Studio 54 before he went into acting? Saw the VH1 Behind The Music episode from 1998, talking about Studio 54 and its owners, Steve Rubell and Ian Schraeger, who ended up going to prison for tax evasion (with Steve Rubell dying in 1989), and there was Al Corley, former doorman, as one of those interviewed.

I believe the episode is on YouTube if you ever want to watch it.

Just started watching. I actually like Fallon. Granted, Pamela Sue Martin had that “je ne sais quoi”, but the new Fallon is interesting. 

For some reason, I don’t like the new Crystal. She annoys me and I wish they would let Fallon win some of their run-ins.

it’s pretty funny Heather Locklear’s old character, Sammy Jo, is now a gay male. 

UGH. Like I recently posted in the Everything Else TV thread, about obvious things I missed or whatever it's called, I started rewatching this show, thinking the entire series was now available (again, it seems based on earlier posts up thread) on Prime, the past week. But they only have free episode through the 10th episode of seasons five, which is weird. I'm NOT paying to see the rest of the dreck.

Why or HOW the media, the show, pop culture, hyped Blake and Krystle as some great romance/relationship-to the point where there was a perfume and I think even a cologne for men, named for them, I will now never understand.

Blake, as I posted in the other thread was a manipulative, jealousy-obsessed, bastard, who never changed. And that I was shocked, because I didn't remember that one episode in the first season where he'd raped her because he was feeling sorry for his own miserable ass. I think I'll just watch some Charlie's Angels to wipe my brain clear of this character. And he never changed. Only toward the middle to the end of season 4 were these two really happy; other times, no trust, keeping Krystle out of his business (when she used to be his secretary, so is familiar with the business), constantly thinking she's been cheating on him, and on and on. Even when he was blind, and got his sight back, he LIED to her and everyone, but Joseph, when he got his sight back. And when he eavesdropped on Krystle and Nick, and learned she hadn't cheated on Blake (even though she TOLD HIM she hadn't), then the Magnanimous Blake decides to forgive her, but LIES about when he got his sight back. Ratbastard. At least JR Ewing came by it honestly and everyone KNEW he was a Bastard; correction, the MAGNIFICENT BASTARD.

I had totally missed that Jeff and Claudia had a thing.

The constant character changes that made no sense just made me dizzy. And I agree, Pamela Sue Martin OWNED the role of Fallon, and a lot of her EDGE was gone by the time she left. And what a fucking INSULT to have her "die" the way she did--that she, or Jeff, Blake and the cops thought she left with his ass? And by showing proof, as the ring, instead of doing an autopsy to confirm if it was Fallon? I know, I know, the 80s, but back then they DID do dental records to check, if the body was burned to the point, fingerprints couldn't be checked. And what a STOOPID way for Pamela to leave the role.

Which leads me to my next point: that Jeff and Fallon were also some GREAT LOVE. Like, Bobby and Pam. Because the latter? Totally TRUE. Jeff and Fallon? PUH-LEAZE. Fallon only really grew up after she had Little Blake. Or rather, after it was revealed Blake was really her father. The brattiness, spoiled Little Rich Girl attitude, disappeared. She constantly cheated on him while they were married. She never loved him; was having an almost thing with Cecil and only married Jeff, so Cecil would bail Blake out; Jeff, I'll grant, had always loved her, but her? Nope. Just suddenly when she's investigating to prove Adam poisoned Jeff. So when Fallon was finally recast with Emma Samms, the WORST casting choice ever, of course they were an OTP. Emma might as well have been a different character all together. I remember an interview with Emma, how she said they were big shoes to fill, but she had to make the "character [her] own" which is how we got a watered, watered down version of a Fallon that wasn't Fallon at all. Weak, simpering, undecisive. And who no longer had any issues with Alexis.

Kirby, another twit. Less said the better.

Joseph. What a lousy way for the character and actor to leave the show. Same as for Matthew and Lindsay; even though I couldn't stand Lindsay.

And Steven. I wish the show had the BALLS to just say that he was Bi. He had relationships with both men and women. And Jack Coleman was never Steven for me. It will always be Al Corley, and I was thrilled (as I posted up thread) when he agreed to do the reunion movie. I looked to find out why Corley left the role, and I agree with him. The short seasons he was on, Steven barely laughed, smiled, or was happy. And he didn't like that, or thought it was boring or something. So I'm glad he left, but at the same time I wish he hadn't. But if he hadn't maybe the asshats in charge wouldn't have given Steven with the new face some happiness with Claudia. For a year.

Oh, and the cheating! The cheating, cheating, cheating! Yeah, yeah, the 80s, soapy, prime time soap, blah, blah, fishcakes.

I suppose Adam and Kirby's "romance" was justified since just a few years before, Laura married her rapist, Luke on General Hospital? The difference was, that Laura, while married to Scotty, was attracted to Luke. The same cannot be said of Adam and Kirby. But, water under the bridge and all that. I mean, Kirby was able to shoot perfectly at the image of Alexis when learning how to use the gun, but turned into a blithering coward when it really counted.

And it seemed Blake was always losing Denver-Carrington; always having to borrow money; sell this or that; then losing it altogether at the end of season 4; then having Dominque help him get it back. And he was supposed to be this powerful magnate? How?

Dominique. Loved her, but when she told her husband why she was helping Blake-to take it all away from him, because she deserved her birthright? Well, it's Tom Carrington she should have gone after. Denver-Carrington wasn't a family business that Blake inherited.

Blah.

I think I'mmagonnagowatchsome Dallas first.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:57 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I agree, Pamela Sue Martin OWNED the role of Fallon, and a lot of her EDGE was gone by the time she left.

Dynasty was never the same without Pamela Sue Martin and the edgy restlessness she brought to the character of Fallon and to the show itself.

The introductions of Diahann Carroll as Dominque and Catherine Oxenberg as Amanda compensated - in part - for the loss of Martin. But too often in Season 5, the show resorted to importing guest stars (Rock Hudson, Ali MacGraw, Billy Dee Williams) to lull viewers into thinking the storylines were more compelling than they actually were (and had been during Martin's tenure). 

Pamela Sue Martin's departure was a huge loss.  Dominique was a fantastic addition but still didn't offset the void left by Fallon.  Amanda was an ill conceived character that never should have been brought on.   She was bratty and never had an interesting plot.  

(edited)
On 1/12/2024 at 6:10 PM, Maverick said:

Amanda was an ill conceived character that never should have been brought on.   She was bratty and never had an interesting plot.  

The reveal in Season 5 that Amanda was Alexis' daughter was great and I liked how she was a constant irritant to Alexis throughout the season.

But Amanda's whole story in Season 5 seemed to have no special purpose other than for her to wear the wedding dress at the 'Moldavian Massacre'.  (And she did make for a stunning bride in the season finale.)

Ultimately, though, the only place for the character to go from there was down, especially given the character's somewhat awkward origins and motivations. 

Edited by Jan Spears