Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: 98 Seconds

I enjoyed this episode. There was some exciting action with Katie participating in a resistance mission that failed. There is so much tension on this show. I loved Geronimo's radio address & escape from the red hats. Will is too good at his job & found half the arsenal of the resistance. It's fascinating to see how ruthless Homeland Security is at chasing down the parents of the member of the resistance leader. This show reminds me of V. At some point I would like to find out what is going on in Santa Monica. Will's son's girlfriend said there was no one in Santa Monica which was scary.

• Love 1

I'm happy that the ratings for this show are decent.  I'm really enjoying it. I've liked

Sarah Wayne Callies since Prison Break and don't have the Lori hatred thing going on

to keep me from watching.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Lori and the others don't recruit Sawyer, it seems the obvious thing to do. It's not like he thinks aliens are awesome.

The episode was okay, although I'd like to know more about the aliens. Right now, the invaders could be humans; the things they're doing are things a human dictator would do. The drons seem like something humans could build in a very near future. The only alien stuff we've seen is that show with lights in the sky. I realize we only know what Lori and Sawyer know, but it'd be nice to get some information soon.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 2

Killing your own members doesn't build morale. I don't believe these people could possibly succeed. It's especially true when you think that a real resistance movement might want to have support from the people at large. It's not just small but useful things, like a retiree watching comings and goings.It's not even things like mass demonstrations. It could include huge stuff like labor strike which are historically proven to be powerful weapons in resistance. I recognize maybe that's too left wing a way of thinking to get past the first audience, the producers in the company and the studio and the network. But since it's what a plausible story needs, that's too bad for Colony. We are rapidly approaching the point where we need to see Guilfoyle et al. as the villains and hope the show gets salvaged by revealing April/Snyder are the real resistance, on deep infiltration. 

PS The tutor (Kat from Alphas!) practically said she saw the blood and these two bimbos just dis her? How can people that stupid cope with breathing?

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 3

I didn't think the mission failed in the sense that it obtained the information the resistance needed:  response times for the drones and the red hats.  The problem resulted from the local population looting the truck and getting killed in the process.  The final tally was four red hats, one guerrilla, and 17 locals.  The gang should definitely have done a better job of chasing off the locals.  On the subject of killing their own, I think it's object knowledge among the resistance that they will be tortured if captured.  The kid had sustained what appeared to be a mortal wound anyway (bullet hole over the heart), and this fight, as they (with the exception of Katie) see it as a fight to the death. 

I'm curious about the world-building going on.  The cops and the redhats are gainfully employed, and there seems to be some administration in place.  The Yonk reopens; the supply of alcohol products has to come from somewhere (shoutout to Anchor Steam), but it is not without limits.  And what currency do they use for salaries and trade, as in buying those drinks.  Currency has to have some intrinsic worth to make it appeal to the population, but there appears to be a strong barter system going on everywhere. 

That tutor from the Nazi Youth Party is an informant, I'll bet on it.

• Love 4

I liked this episode. I like the fact that the resistance is shown sacrificing themselves for their cause, because I agree that they left the injured man behind because he couldn't be saved and they shot him to save him from torture and themselves from capture.

I really don't understand this world. Are the drones used on an "on call" basis only? Why wouldn't they be patrolling, keeping a net of surveillance?  It seems there's no surveillance, people can meet in parks, convert buildings into use as firing ranges, etc. This bugs me.

Are we to understand that there aren't any people left within a certain radius of LA? I think that's what the girl was talking about at the water pumping station, right?  I like the tidbits about the outside world. They're coming at just the right pace for me.

• Love 2

It seems like building the walls would surpass everything all humans built in all of history combined. Walls are pretty dumb anyways, didn't work too well for the Chinese. This is the problem I have with invasion moves. The technology that the aliens use is so beyond what humans have, I don't see any point in them wanting anything made on earth. The drones could make stuff faster than all of humanity. And they could destroy anything on earth so easily just by dropping moon rocks if they wanted to. They could breed their own humans or whatever if they wanted food or slaves. 

It seems like building the walls would surpass everything all humans built in all of history combined. Walls are pretty dumb anyways, didn't work too well for the Chinese. This is the problem I have with invasion moves. The technology that the aliens use is so beyond what humans have, I don't see any point in them wanting anything made on earth. The drones could make stuff faster than all of humanity. And they could destroy anything on earth so easily just by dropping moon rocks if they wanted to. They could breed their own humans or whatever if they wanted food or slaves. 

Its not necessarily about keeping people out. Its about separating people stopping them from resisting and communicating about what's going on. Its one of the few tactics that's actually somewhat effective again geurillas. Its probably one of the reasons Jewish resistance in Poland during WW2 wasn't ever really able to organize into a national group and remained isolated somewhat from each other (Well that and politics but that really hasn't shown up on the show yet. Although if the show is going for accuracy it will). Not to mention it  makes it much harder to get weapons and people with different skill-sets like bomb makers or communications experts.. Of course historically as the show is demonstrating people will always find through a wall if you give them enough reason. (The sewers and underground bunkers were actually used a lot by resistance in the Warsaw ghetto as well as French resistance in Paris.)

As someone who has actual Aboriginal roots the Native American imagery in the show is kind of amusing. I'm not quite sure if the show really understands that the people in the current resistance benefited even indirectly from the original Geronimo's defeat.

Something that really works on this show is the relationship between Will and Katie (AKA Sawyer and Lori). The chemistry works and they seem believable as a married couple who actually like each other. Which of course just make the situation they're in that much more engaging. I'm already worried about the toll playing both sides is going to take on them.

There were a couple of contrivances and if those start to add it could get annoying but it early yet. The show needs to pull the trigger on Will figuring out what Katie is doing though soon. Otherwise he's going to seem like a moron.

• Love 2

Otherwise he's going to seem like a moron.

I was coming here to say exactly the same thing.

Are we to understand that there aren't any people left within a certain radius of LA? I think that's what the girl was talking about at the water pumping station, right?  I like the tidbits about the outside world. They're coming at just the right pace for me.

One thing I didn't get, if you had a way out the the walls and the area was completely deserted, why not just live there? It may not be the greatest life, but would probably be better than living under occupation.

I would not take that bet. That's EXACTLY what I thought.

No doubt about it.

I really don't understand this world. Are the drones used on an "on call" basis only? Why wouldn't they be patrolling, keeping a net of surveillance?  It seems there's no surveillance, people can meet in parks, convert buildings into use as firing ranges, etc. This bugs me.

Los Angeles is very big and this episode has hinted that San Francisco and Kentucky are still populated to some degree. They may not have the numbers to cover every inch of every occupied sector. Still, 98 seconds is a pretty impressive response time

She may not be an active informant, but I don't buy her "this is a safe place" speech for a second.

They weren't supposed to. They were supposed to be smart enough to know she's saying "Hey, I've already seen too much. Remember I work for the occupation. Either you're going to recruit me or you're going to keep secrets. But coming in with blood on you isn't going to work. You don't want me to save myself by informing? Don't do dumb shit like that!" 

And by the way, the tutor not only has her own eyes but the kids to watch comings and goings. If they try telling the kids to act shifty, they might as well put signs reading "Suspicious" on each other's back.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1

I'm really liking this more and more, because it does seem to be delving into characters and how they are dealing with the challenges, rather than harping on the tired "who are the aliens and what do they want' as the main focus. I think the show may be more about whether to act out or keep the peace, rather than being just about a battle against the aliens. I'd add that the story is exploring choices in general - where are the lines "you" won't cross? what will you do to survive? How do you juggle competing goals? I like this aspect a LOT.

Katie's mission - I think they did a good job showing the nitty gritty of rebellion. Very messy. Lots of collateral damage. Ambiguous goals especially in the beginning. The whole point to all that death was just to get some data on response times for the drones (Stopwatch One) and HS (Stopwatch Two). The supplies were a secondary issue, probably to provide good will to encourage people to look favorably on geronimo despite the collateral damage going forward. Which also came out in the radio broad cast, which I LOVED!

Will and Katie keeping secrets - I do think Will and Katie should share their secrets. I assume they think they are keeping each other safe. But - too much secrecy results in weak effectiveness in any organization, and they should see that in this case, given Will's skills. Which makes it even worse that she continues to hide it form him, and HE TOO is hiding stuff from her.*

Geronimo – Not a person, but an ideal.  I think it's going to be a "John Galt" scenario.

Will inside Homeland Security - Here's where I think this is going: *FROM ABOVE: Will wants to save his son. That's priority one. He needs to gain HS's trust quickly, so he's gangbusters getting the job done. BUT.... In the bar's back storeroom he alludes to having a longer range plan. WAG time: I think he might ALREADY be in the resistance, or plans to join them, and that depends on his early acceptance into HS. In fact, if anyone is Geronimo, I am betting it's him. No one knows it, not even the guys directly under him taking orders. He was a Ranger, then a top FBI guy. He has the skills to have started the resistance and could be directing them anonymously. But he doesn't know the low level stuff directly,so he doesn't realize (yet) his wife is involved.

Beau's story -  Just getting along... At some point, he will have a crisis of conscience. Probably have to step up and sacrifice himself for Will. 

San Fran and Kentucky - We learn LA is cut off it most ways, especially news of the outside. And from the son's GF, that everyone outside the Wall is gone. Her knowledge of getting outside the wall is going to be a HUGE plot point. Love that so far all she sees is to use it for scavenging. Son will see the bigger picture.

LOVED seeing Adam Busch as the school teacher... He's going to figure into this plot I think.

Broussard at the bar - That actually rang true for me. The Purloined Letter strategy. Hide in plain site. If his face is not known, no big deal at all.

The creepy tutor - I loved Erin Way in Alphas. Her role here is unclear. Initially, we're to suspect her as a plant from the Proxy Snyder dude, but I'm betting she is resistance, to keep an eye on Katie.

Edited by kminfinity
  • Love 2

I enjoyed this episode, but the leader of their cell seems pretty awful, as in at his job. Is that really the best way to handle an asset? Threaten to murder her husband if she doesn't provide more and better intel constantly? Couldn't there possibly be a better way to make use of someone with her kind of access? She volunteered, so it seems like you could make the most of her good will and play on her already existing sympathies rather than running the risk of turning her into an enemy. Broussard seems to have a better handle on how to get the most out of her. 

I mean how about, you stop threatening my husband, and I won't reveal to the Occupation the names and addresses of every resistance person I know?

• Love 3

WAG time: I think he might ALREADY be in the resistance, or plans to join them, and that depends on his early acceptance into HS. In fact, if anyone is Geronimo, I am betting it's him. No one knows it, not even the guys directly under him taking orders. He was a Ranger, then a top FBI guy. He has the skills to have started the resistance and could be directing them anonymously. But he doesn't know the low level stuff directly,so he doesn't realize (yet) his wife is involved.

I posted something similar in the spoilers thread. Will is either Geronimo or working directly for him/her.

I mean how about, you stop threatening my husband, and I won't reveal to the Occupation the names and addresses of every resistance person I know?

As shown in this episode with the family of the resistance member, I doubt naming names would save her and her family from the factory. So in the that respect it seems like mutually assured destruction.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

I liked this episode. I like the fact that the resistance is shown sacrificing themselves for their cause, because I agree that they left the injured man behind because he couldn't be saved and they shot him to save him from torture and themselves from capture.

Its not necessarily about keeping people out. Its about separating people stopping them from resisting and communicating about what's going on. Its one of the few tactics that's actually somewhat effective again geurillas. Its probably one of the reasons Jewish resistance in Poland during WW2 wasn't ever really able to organize into a national group and remained isolated somewhat from each other (Well that and politics but that really hasn't shown up on the show yet. Although if the show is going for accuracy it will). Not to mention it  makes it much harder to get weapons and people with different skill-sets like bomb makers or communications experts.. Of course historically as the show is demonstrating people will always find through a wall if you give them enough reason. (The sewers and underground bunkers were actually used a lot by resistance in the Warsaw ghetto as well as French resistance in Paris.)

As someone who has actual Aboriginal roots the Native American imagery in the show is kind of amusing. I'm not quite sure if the show really understands that the people in the current resistance benefited even indirectly from the original Geronimo's defeat.

They also missed it in the Hunger Games also but you would think the history of the ghettos and the big urban battles humanity has fought would have taught people to cover the sewer system. . No way Bram and his girlfriend with cousin should be able to waltz around as if this was the first time it was tried. It is in the US Army Field Manuals  I would guess some copies survived for the Homeland Red Hats, if they are not also veterans like Will and Phyliss, to read.

Oh totally. The moment she said "Whatever happens in these walls stays in these walls", I was like, yup, spy. Plus, she's in the house with free reign. I would not put it past her to plant some bugs.

San Fran and Kentucky - We learn LA is cut off it most ways, especially news of the outside. And from the son's GF, that everyone outside the Wall is gone. Her knowledge of getting outside the wall is going to be a HUGE plot point. Love that so far all she sees is to use it for scavenging. Son will see the bigger picture.

Yeah, that is really freaky, that no one is outside the walls. Were they slaughtered, or sent to the Factory? That exit to the "outside world" is going to be very important, maybe to save some resistance fighters but having them "disappear".

I'd like to know more of why the Aliens are here and what they want.

• Love 1

Oh totally. The moment she said "Whatever happens in these walls stays in these walls", I was like, yup, spy. Plus, she's in the house with free reign. I would not put it past her to plant some bugs.

Yeah, that is really freaky, that no one is outside the walls. Were they slaughtered, or sent to the Factory? That exit to the "outside world" is going to be very important, maybe to save some resistance fighters but having them "disappear".

I'd like to know more of why the Aliens are here and what they want.

I'm also curious why it was so noisy when they were under the wall.

Well if the consensus is that the spy is a complete moron, then the show is shockingly blatant about dumbing down its villains. The resistance is going to have a cakewalk to victory. Also, the scene makes it perfectly clear that there is no danger at all to the main characters. The sisters hear a spy make a clumsy overture and they just laugh instead of being worried about a spy in their own home! 

Foregone conclusion, no danger, the consensus is this is a terrible show.

They weren't supposed to. They were supposed to be smart enough to know she's saying "Hey, I've already seen too much. Remember I work for the occupation. Either you're going to recruit me or you're going to keep secrets. But coming in with blood on you isn't going to work. You don't want me to save myself by informing? Don't do dumb shit like that!" 

And by the way, the tutor not only has her own eyes but the kids to watch comings and goings. If they try telling the kids to act shifty, they might as well put signs reading "Suspicious" on each other's back.

My take is that she will keep the secret, and said that so she would gain their trust. So they'd let what little guard they seem to have, down.

Someone with so little gameface has no business being in the resistance. Also, will her removing her kerchief to work on the guy come back to bite her? I would assume the trucks themselves have surveillance cameras.

I enjoyed this episode, but the leader of their cell seems pretty awful, as in at his job. Is that really the best way to handle an asset? Threaten to murder her husband if she doesn't provide more and better intel constantly? Couldn't there possibly be a better way to make use of someone with her kind of access? She volunteered, so it seems like you could make the most of her good will and play on her already existing sympathies rather than running the risk of turning her into an enemy. Broussard seems to have a better handle on how to get the most out of her.

There are those who rule by fear, and those who rule by dangling carrots (which is what the Mayor SAYS he wants to do). Both means have been pretty effective, historically. She's already compromised - she's been on an operation, has seen that they don't hesitate to kill their own, and has already leaked information her husband gave her and has seen that the occupiers round up entire families for the deeds of one person. She's already put her entire family at risk. She's in a pretty bad bargaining position.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Los Angeles is very big and this episode has hinted that San Francisco and Kentucky are still populated to some degree. They may not have the numbers to cover every inch of every occupied sector. Still, 98 seconds is a pretty impressive response time

Yes, 98 seconds is pretty quick.  But what about surveillance of the parks? The resistance could be decimated with some good park surveillance with video and audio. Maybe the occupiers are overwhelmed -- it sounds like their using some database that was put together prior to the occupation. Maybe the occupiers just don't care that much. In their eyes, everyone eventually becomes factory fodder or dies.

One thing I didn't get, if you had a way out the the walls and the area was completely deserted, why not just live there? It may not be the greatest life, but would probably be better than living under occupation.

Completely agree -- although maybe there's a family member issue? I don't remember that much about that girl.

As far as the speculation that someone's alive in San Francisco or Kentucky, I'm not sure getting booze from there is that great an indicator; there's probably enough stock in the stores and warehouses to keep 1 bar in LA afloat for awhile. That's actually one of the mysteries I enjoy.

I really like a lot about the story. I don't even need to know who the aliens or whatever they are, are (at least right now). It would just be nice to have some reliable parameters. I get taken out of the story when I have to try and make up a reason the resistance can meet in secret or the drones are not just monitoring everywhere.

Every time they talk about Geronimo, I think, "you know what happened to him and his people, right?"

• Love 1