Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: The Empathy Optimization

Does the current version of Stuart not have any drawing skills?

I predict that, in some future episode, everyone will have to sneak into Stuart's apartment for some reason, and the walls will be covered in drawings of Howard and Bernie sleeping, along with ones of the rest of the gang doing various everyday things, and Penny will say, "Hey, there is one of me in the shower! Oh, my boobs look great - I am taking this one!" as she takes it off the wall. And Sheldon will complain that there should be more drawings of him because he is the most important member of the group. 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 5

It was.. Ok.

Emily can go. I was hoping that when she stormed out of Raj's that it was the last we would see of her. But there she was, on the party bus.

I thought I read a few months back she was now a "series regular", but I don't know what that means because they hardly use her.

I could take her or leave her. She is another example of the writers not knowing what to do with her.

Not a memorable episode.

• Love 1

I thought I read a few months back she was now a "series regular", but I don't know what that means because they hardly use her.

It means they pay her to be available to them some set amount we're not aware of but that is specified in the contract, whether they use her or not.

I think we've had SkypeAmy for the last couple of episodes because the ones leading up to it were intensely focused on Amy & Sheldon, so the writers deliberately pulled from that for a time in order to let that have a little space and get back to the other characters. I think the LIfetime movie was done well before these episodes. 

• Love 3

One really good story reason for SkypeAmy this episode is that it avoids the issue of her coming on the trip or not, which would either lead to a much bigger conflict than the writers want, take away some of the urgency for Sheldon since Amy is ther to keep him company, or create a pretty big plot hole. And since they seem to want to focus on other characters as okerry just mentioned having her out of town takes care of everything.

• Love 4

Priya and the Doctor both changed Leonard's attire to varying results. And yet Penny also did so. More with Sheldon during his acceptance speech. But we have also see Leonard change his own wardrobe FOR Penny. He has looked sharp on more than one date/get together starting with his suit in the reboot dating episode. The fact the show refuses to let any of these characters grow is not a statement of letting them be true to themselves for me but a lazy lack of writing and development of something that does nto fall back again and again on the tropes they have mined to death and refuse to expand upon.

Penny's only ever intervened with the guys' clothing choices when it was a matter of looking professional/dapper at a work-related event where it was at least a little relevant how they looked. She tends to leave their actual wardrobe choices alone on the day to day.

I was wondering what you meant by "the Doctor" before I realized you meant Sara Rue's character and not a truly epic crossover.

• Love 6

Congratulations to Mayim on her Critic's Choice award.  So nice to see her subtly brilliant work on BBT get the recognition it deserves.

Edited to correct People's to Critics.  My Mayim loving self is just too excited for words.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 6

I could take her or leave her. She is another example of the writers not knowing what to do with her.

I like Emily, but she's like Stuart in that she's just a go-to for some jokes, rather than a real character. At least they've been able to make broader use of her than Stuart (or Wil).

• Love 2

Priya and the Doctor both changed Leonard's attire to varying results.  And yet Penny also did so.  More with Sheldon during his acceptance speech.  But we have also see Leonard change his own wardrobe FOR Penny.  He has looked sharp on more than one date/get together starting with his suit in the reboot dating episode.  The fact the show refuses to let any of these characters grow is not a statement of letting them be true to themselves for me but a lazy lack of writing and development of something that does nto fall back again and again on the tropes they have mined to death and refuse to expand upon. 

I'm not going to pin that on the writers so much as the network and the production company. Networks/Production companies like for every character to have a set look so someone who doesn't watch every week, or who picks up a rerun here or there, or who watches out of order in syndication know who everyone is. Howard wears turtlenecks, Sheldon a tshirt over a long sleeve shirt, Leonard a shirt and a hoodie under a jacket because its easier visually for people to keep up with the story. Raj wears that blue jacket often. That's just how the show works visually to make things easier for a casual viewer.

• Love 3

Both Raj and Emily could easily be written off the show and nothing of value would be lost.

I miss the Raj who would expertly manipulate Sheldon, like with the "giant big ass desk" and using the dirty sock to force him to meet Amy. 

Emily just has no chemistry with any of the cast, including Raj. Time to move on and find a better fit in the future.

• Love 4