Type keyword(s) to search

Series Creators Michelle And Robert King Won't Return To The Good Wife Past This Season

CBS is trying to make deals for an eighth season apparently. I'm really hoping there's big holdouts so that they can just end it this year, but it seems very likely the show will continue on, possibly without certain cast members like Baranski or Czuchry.

There you go, then. If the show has Julianna Margulies, it will continue for season 8 and suck worse than ever. The other characters are great, but expendable, as we've seen this year when CM and MC have nothing to do. They'll just bump up a few recurring characters to regulars and give her a new love interest. 

It's too bad. This year will be the natural endpoint, and shows that bring on new show runners for the last season are never any good post-change. 

• Love 1

I'm not so sure that it is likely to return.  I think the network wants to keep its options open for the time being so they can see where everything lands on other shows.  The ratings aren't great and it is probably getting expensive compared to a new or other show that could match the low levels at less expense.  Perhaps they'll shop it to other venues as well?  Amateur ratings sleuth signing out:)

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

I'm not so sure that it is likely to return.  I think the network wants to keep its options open for the time being so they can see where everything lands on other shows.  The ratings aren't great and it is probably getting expensive compared to a new or other show that could match the low levels at less expense.  Perhaps they'll shop it to other venues as well?  Amateur ratings sleuth signing out:)

The ratings aren't great but does CBS have any other Emmy-winning prestige dramas? Besides, I think the audience for this show s wealthier than average, which has saved plenty of borderline shows from cancellation. 

Oh, I have no idea what is going to happen, I just don't think we can conclude that it will, or is likely, continue based solely on the length of the actor's contracts (which are ended when a show is cancelled, no matter how long they they extend to) after today's news and the other factors I cited.  It certainly could, no question.  Like I said, I am an amateur here just spouting things from following along with ratings stories in the past because I find the whole system fascinating. 

I think I might drop at the end of what the Kings planned as their seven season story either way, as I've become increasingly frustrated with the show.  However, I hope for those that want the show to continue, that it does indeed continue. 

Edited by pennben

Oh, I have no idea what is going to happen, I just don't think we can conclude that it will, or is likely, continue based solely on the length of the actor's contracts (which are ended when a show is cancelled, no matter how long they they extend to) after today's news and the other factors I cited.  It certainly could, no question.  Like I said, I am an amateur here just spouting things from following along with ratings stories in the past because I find the whole system fascinating. 

I think I might drop at the end of what the Kings planned as their seven season story either way, as I've become increasingly frustrated with the show.  However, I hope for those that want the show to continue, that it does indeed continue. 

Not always. A lot of times actors have multi-year talent deals with the network that aren't specific to a tv show. So, as an example scenario, if TGW doesn't come back and Matt Czuchry has a deal with CBS for another year, they may put him on another show to fulfill that contractual obligation. 

• Love 1

Well, sure.  Regardless, circling back to the sole point I was trying to make,  I think it is not good news for the renewal of this series next year that the Kings are leaving at the end of this season. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

There you go, then. If the show has Julianna Margulies, it will continue for season 8 and suck worse than ever. The other characters are great, but expendable, as we've seen this year when CM and MC have nothing to do. They'll just bump up a few recurring characters to regulars and give her a new love interest.

It's too bad. This year will be the natural endpoint, and shows that bring on new show runners for the last season are never any good post-change.

Indeed, I've just recently been considering all of the TV disasters incurred by changing show runners, and it is a fairly long list and generally the most obvious/stupid mistake that networks make. In this case, they're leaving of their own accord, but this news actually gives me a bit more respect for the Kings, as they've apparently had a foot out the door for a while.

A season or 2 ago, I would have worried that this would mean the end of MZ and CB appearing on TV, but as the last season/s have played out, their roles have been so reduced and their story lines so stuck - literally and physically - that it's simply more depressing to see them treated this way than to risk losing them by having the show just end. And it gives me a little hope that the Kings are working with a streaming service and therefore MZ and CB might be first picks for another Amazon series or preferably Netflix, etc. There really is such an abundance of 'networks' at this point that the chances of a television actor finding work is probably the best it's ever been. And, the ultimate plus for a person who feels like I do: the Alicia/Julianna show will finally have a pin put in it and her ego and general hijinks will have no place to play out, and she'll likely go back to wherever she was for that decade+ after ER.

Edited by meisje
  • Love 2

That's one thing I'm almost sure about as well. No one is going to want to willingly work with Julianna Margulies after TGW ends. She's alienated herself from the industry the same way Katie Heigl did, all because of the Archie situation and her power-hungry ways of controlling this show creatively and otherwise. No showrunner, writer or network wants to have that on their hands.

Shame too because she's a brilliant actress, but her reputation has gone down the drain somewhat after the last few years. And for the right reasons.

• Love 1

Not always. A lot of times actors have multi-year talent deals with the network that aren't specific to a tv show. So, as an example scenario, if TGW doesn't come back and Matt Czuchry has a deal with CBS for another year, they may put him on another show to fulfill that contractual obligation.

I think this scenario is what happened with CBS and Alex O'Loughlin. I remember his vampire show with Jason Dohring was well received but canned after season 1, followed by a short-lived medical drama which led to Hawaii 5-0. It seems like that's been on for years, not doing much of anything. I can't imagine too many actors taking such a deal today (unless their #1 concern is job security) because there are too many opportunities popping up all the time. A lot has changed in just a few years from when television was the place where box office flops ended up (though, that fits for Julianna...). Now, even tertiary characters from small series are leads, so I can't imagine anyone as young as Matt tying himself to CBS for long. Perhaps he's at least headed for a bit part in the Gilmore Girls' final episodes? I would love to see him work with Archie again, and I hope someone is smart enough to grab Alan and Christine. I do see a possibility for them, and others, to find more prestigious work with Showtime/CBS.

Edited by meisje

Honestly I hope they do the courageous thing and just call it a day. End while we still sort of like the show. I don't want to see this show provide a Dexter-like ending.

It might be out of their hands. If CBS wants to renew the show, they can do it without the Kings, and indeed without anyone but Julianna Margulies. And CBS runs shows into the ground. Look how long they kept the various CSIs on for. Or when the lead of "Two and a half Men" quit, they just plugged in a new guy and kept it going. HIMYM was in even worse shape by season 8, it had reached its natural endpoint and everyone wanted to end it, but CBS threw enough money at the creators and the cast and they kept it going for a ninth zombie season that everyone universally agrees was terrible. And they tried to get a tenth but Jason Segal put his foot down.

• Love 1

Admittedly, I struggle to see JM as anything other than a mediocre actress who lucked out to get this show when it was at the top of its game.  I used to love their truly interesting, clever court cases - all that has just vanished.

I can't imagine how anyone working on this could be proud of it any longer though I am sure it is a very nice paycheck.

People have worse reps in Hollywood than JM - if they think she will make money for them, someone will hire her again - of that, I have no doubt.  If people there didn't work because they were difficult, many screens would be blanks.  Look how much people  put up with Sheen just because he brought in the money - it's the nature of the beast.  

I too wish they would leave the scene and open up for a decent show to take its place, the network needs one.

• Love 1

The ratings aren't great but does CBS have any other Emmy-winning prestige dramas? Besides, I think the audience for this show s wealthier than average, which has saved plenty of borderline shows from cancellation. 

Yep, this is not an insignificant point.  Also, the key demo ratings are low (while network ratings overall have fallen across the board) but total viewership is actually not bad. Depends on how the network views it, depends on how the advertisers view it.

Admittedly, I struggle to see JM as anything other than a mediocre actress who lucked out to get this show when it was at the top of its game.  I used to love their truly interesting, clever court cases - all that has just vanished.

I can't imagine how anyone working on this could be proud of it any longer though I am sure it is a very nice paycheck.

People have worse reps in Hollywood than JM - if they think she will make money for them, someone will hire her again - of that, I have no doubt.  If people there didn't work because they were difficult, many screens would be blanks.  Look how much people  put up with Sheen just because he brought in the money - it's the nature of the beast.  

I too wish they would leave the scene and open up for a decent show to take its place, the network needs one.

How did JM luck out?  Isn't she part of the reason for the show's success?  It's not as if she joined the show midway, she has been on since the beginning. I know this board believes that JM has a bad reputation, but is this really true?  I'm talking about industry people, not Archie Punjabi fans or gossip mags.  Quite a few actors have mentioned joining the cast because of JM.  

• Love 2
How did JM luck out?  Isn't she part of the reason for the show's success?  It's not as if she joined the show midway, she has been on since the beginning

I agree with you.  No matter what I may think about what I may know about behind the scenes goings on, I don't think it is fair to say she just lucked out.  Hell, the woman must have four leaf clovers coming out of somewhere if she just lucked out here and with a little medical drama, folks may remember it, ER:)  As I recall in that show, she was slated to die from an overdose in the pilot, but the producer's loved her work and chemistry with Clooney and others that they decided to have her survive and stay on the show.

• Love 1

I would be pleased if they cancel TGW and bring back Person of Interest.

I love this and agree, haha.

I don't think JM will trouble finding work if this truly (and thankfully) is the last season for TGW. She might want to take a break from TV and work on stage since she's in NYC.

• Love 1