Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Chardee MacDennis 2: Electric Boogaloo

• Start Topic

The foursome demonstrate Chardee MacDennis for an interested board game executive, but the game sends things into chaos despite the gang's truce.

ETA: After enduring ninety minutes of The Challenge, this was comfort food for the soul. Dennis is still a raging sociopath. Dee still thinks herself a skillful actress. Mac puts Ace and Gary to shame in terms of being ambiguously gay. Charlie is still a perennial loser. And Frank is willing to take things up a notch. And of course the "Mattel" guy was paid by Frank in order to bring his unique elements into an already psycho game.

• Love 1

I loved when Charlie awoke in the hospital with the idea he was victorious.  

I also loved all the changes they made from the original episode.  Especially the flag ceremony.  "It's a bunch of F's!  I didn't know how it would come off."  "I feel like you did."

• Love 1

At first I was bothered by the premise of a Mattel executive wanting to buy their game. It's too big for their concept. That's the sort of thing that can affect shows in general - and this one in particular - as they go on.  In season 1 it was teens drinking at the bar and a robbery. In season 2 they feud with the neighbor and get religious. Sillier but still grounded.

Last year they were flying cross-country to beat Wade Bogg's drinking record, going on a game show, and creating a cult. All funny, but it felt like they were running out of ideas for a couple losers running a bar and getting bigger and more ridiculous. And the idea of a game company being interested - especially when tied to a sequel episode - would have been a bad sign.

But they fixed that. For Frank to have pulled a scam is much more plausible and really made the whole thing work. And they made it apparent that this wasn't just the next time they played - it happens often and the game evolves. If you're going to go back to an old favorite, this is really a great way to do it.  Psyched for the rest of the season.

• Love 2

Oh my goodness. This was an awesome episode.

I loved the accents. Dennis and Dee could have talked normally, but no. They did a hilarious "Philly Accent" that sounded kind of like a really exaggerated Minnesota. And Charlie undid all the buttons on his shirt except the top one, I died!

I love that they kind of kept it open at the end- at first I thought Dee and Dennis were lying to Charlie in the hospital, taking advantage of his state, pretending they won. Was it that, or did they actually win and Charlie remembered it wrong/we saw the wrong version?

I figured that Charlie survived the verbal humiliation, and Dee and Dennis basically told him otherwise to save face. They would be asshole enough to do that, as well as start a fire in a hospital.

• Love 1

I am glad the show is back and found the episode enjoyable.

However, still a drop off from the original Chardee MacDennis, which is one of my favorite episodes of the whole show. But hey it's hard to live up to that standard. Seemed to just go a bit over the top from their usual dark humor once they entered the escape room and had to cut themselves with razor blades. And yes I know this is a show where they have locked people in burning rooms and done other bad things, but they don't typically SHOW them dealing with those bad scenes directly.

Still funny though. ANd I too thought Dennis and Dee were lying and Charlie didn't laugh and they really did win? But then I couldn't figure out how Mac wouldn't be there saying something or how they would deal with him in that situation.

Everytime Mac is disgusted by Dee or The Waitress completely insults Charlie, I laugh because it's so meta. Especially since the Mac insults to Dee are "I can't touch her!"

I knew Mac and Dee were married in real life but didn't realize Charlie and the waitress were as well.

I would agree, an awesome follow up.  Not as amazing as the first but I'm also glad it wasn't a rehash of it as well.  I liked the updated rules and attempts to curb cheating and the fact that Dennis and Dee still cheat anyway.  It's always hilarious when they pull the "outsider brought in witnesses the gang's normal-to-them shenanigans and then leaves completely horrified."  

Of course Mac would use a dick as arrow and Dennis would do a head in a box as their Love symbols.  Classic.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 2

Still funny though. ANd I too thought Dennis and Dee were lying and Charlie didn't laugh and they really did win? But then I couldn't figure out how Mac wouldn't be there saying something or how they would deal with him in that situation.

Yeah, I figured Dennis and Dee had to be telling the truth, because no way would Mac (or Frank for that matter) would let them get away with it.

I rewatched this evening, and forgot how freaking hilarious Charlie's "ceremonial moves" for the flag ceremony were. This didn't beat the original Chardee McDennis episode, but it's amazing how this is still so sharp after 11 years.

A couple small things I liked: the game still officially starting by Dennis saying "Ladies and Gentleman, suck my dick", and that Mac is wearing the same Detroit shirt he was wearing in the first Chardee McDennis episode, only this time it fits.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 4

and Dennis would do a head in a box as their Love symbols.

Damnit kittykat!!! "This is not a woman’s head in a box, you sick freak!.”  “This is a woman’s head in a freezer, and it’s supposed to represent the preservation of love forever and ever!”

I'm just kidding of course, it's Dennis that is the psychopath...

Loved Frank's flag...it was so Frank and ties back to their Nazi relative from the first season....although I can't remember if that was Frank's relative or their mothers.

• Love 4

Damnit kittykat!!! "This is not a woman’s head in a box, you sick freak!.”  “This is a woman’s head in a freezer, and it’s supposed to represent the preservation of love forever and ever!”

I just spit out coffee reading that in Dennis' voice. 

Forgot to add that I loved the addition of the accents in Round 2.  Charlie and Mac's "Barazile" and Dee's response, "you're going real racist with this."

The only missed opportunity was that we didn't see Mac attempt to throw the nailed-down game board.  It always makes me laugh in the first one.

• Love 1

I rewatched this evening, and forgot how freaking hilarious Charlie's "ceremonial moves" for the flag ceremony were. 

Charlie's moves weren't even that far off the inspiration (which you caught a glimpse of in the video they showed:

Rewatched this one today. It does get better, as they all do, when you see it again.

I hope they have one more Chardee MacDennis episode before its all over. I have to see Charlie and Mac win at least one.

Loved the flags. And the new ceremony.

I'm finally just catching up and have to say this episode rocked.  Naturally it could never be as good as the original, probably in part because the first time we had no idea what was coming.  I was a little bothered that someone from Mattel would have an interest in the game but bought into it because I figured he just started getting really drunk.  The IV alcohol (PSA: don't give beer IV) was a hoot and the accents were a great addition.  The basement handcuff thing was weird, but I suppose that's why I like the show--it takes it right to the line and then crosses it without hesitation.