Type keyword(s) to search

Original Flavor Season Talk: Dinner at Rodbell's

5 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I just watched the tornado episode and I'm wondering why they didn't go to the basement. I know they needed to be in the living room for the drama, especially with the window, but I always hear that everyone should head to a basement or closet. Did they ever mention why they never went to the basement?

Because Dan was using the basement to store drywall and 2x4s.  Now, why he a) had that much - enough to fill the whole basement so much that they couldn't even take shelter there for a few hours - stored at home rather than on a job site or b) maneuvered all that down to the basement rather than putting it in the garage (sheet rock is heavy, and neither it nor two-bys are fun to go around corners and down stairs with, and there's no exterior access to that basement), requires some suspension of disbelief - because, as you said, they're just in the living room for dramatic purposes, so the reason is inevitably forced - but that's the reason given.

• Love 4
On 8/12/2017 at 10:27 PM, Bastet said:

Because Dan was using the basement to store drywall and 2x4s.  Now, why he a) had that much - enough to fill the whole basement so much that they couldn't even take shelter there for a few hours - stored at home rather than on a job site or b) maneuvered all that down to the basement rather than putting it in the garage (sheet rock is heavy, and neither it nor two-bys are fun to go around corners and down stairs with, and there's no exterior access to that basement), requires some suspension of disbelief - because, as you said, they're just in the living room for dramatic purposes, so the reason is inevitably forced - but that's the reason given.

We were in a major discussion about this for a while. Many who have had experience knew where the episode was coming from. As they had a parent or relative or even first hand experience with this same situation. Since I don't want to go down that road again. I will say this about the laundry/mud room. It was only used a handful of times as a direct piece outside movement or a few other things. However, yes, it could have been used for storage for a few pieces. There was room.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:20 PM, Stacey1014 said:

Laff TV is back to the earlier seasons. I forgot how much I enjoyed the family dynamic when they were younger. There's something in the tone of the earlier seasons that is different in the later ones, and I can't quite pinpoint where it changed. 

I just watched the tornado episode and I'm wondering why they didn't go to the basement. I know they needed to be in the living room for the drama, especially with the window, but I always hear that everyone should head to a basement or closet. Did they ever mention why they never went to the basement?

I've talked about the differences in the show as well. It's like a perfect split. Seasons 1- the beginning of 5 are more family oriented and then the rest of 5-9 are more issues oriented.

The reason is Lecy Goranson. Before Becky left they had a family dynamic. After Becky left the family was more fractured. You didn't have the Becky/Darlene conflict anymore. Lecy leaving for college also opened up Sara Gilbert leaving for college.

Without 2 of the main cast to write for they turned to the issue episodes. 

Jackie in an abusive relationship. Jackie wanting to cut Fred out of seeing the baby/parental rights. Roseanne going to the gay bar. DJ masturbating/the boner episode. (How DJ was masturbating before he got erections I'll never know). Roseannes pregnancy and the abortion issue. And on and on.

Then in seasons 8-9 they got rid of doing story arcs and just did "bottle episodes" to run out the clock on the show. Most series only get 1 bad "last season" but we got 2. They thought season 8 was the end but then got renewed right at the end.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:27 PM, Bastet said:

No matter how much was down there there would have at least been an aisle they could have cowered in you'd think. 

Maybe if all that stuff was down there it would have caused a danger of things falling on them.

They also say you should go in the bath tub lol.

• Love 2

I've talked about the differences in the show as well. It's like a perfect split. Seasons 1- the beginning of 5 are more family oriented and then the rest of 5-9 are more issues oriented.

The reason is Lecy Goranson. Before Becky left they had a family dynamic. After Becky left the family was more fractured. You didn't have the Becky/Darlene conflict anymore. Lecy leaving for college also opened up Sara Gilbert leaving for college.

Without 2 of the main cast to write for they turned to the issue episodes. 

Jackie in an abusive relationship. Jackie wanting to cut Fred out of seeing the baby/parental rights. Roseanne going to the gay bar. DJ masturbating/the boner episode. (How DJ was masturbating before he got erections I'll never know). Roseannes pregnancy and the abortion issue. And on and on.

Then in seasons 8-9 they got rid of doing story arcs and just did "bottle episodes" to run out the clock on the show. Most series only get 1 bad "last season" but we got 2. They thought season 8 was the end but then got renewed right at the end

I think you perfectly explained the shift in the show. Lecy was the trick and when she left they had to change the dynamic because a lot of was missing. Even with DJ and Darlene, the dynamic wasn't the same as with Darlene and Becky. Reasons why they added in David and actually putting in his and Mark's homelife as why Mark ended up the way he did. I also agree on DJ's mix, I mean he was masterbating before he was having erection problems in class. Unless he had the hots for the teacher or certain girls in the classroom. They didn't really explain it well. I got Dan's solution to things, but I think after a while the teacher and his classmates would be wondering what the hell he was doing. Plus, at that age, you get so focused on being in front of the class, I don't think you subconscious drifts enough to think with the other head. 

1 hour ago, readster said:

I think you perfectly explained the shift in the show. Lecy was the trick and when she left they had to change the dynamic because a lot of was missing. Even with DJ and Darlene, the dynamic wasn't the same as with Darlene and Becky. Reasons why they added in David and actually putting in his and Mark's homelife as why Mark ended up the way he did. I also agree on DJ's mix, I mean he was masterbating before he was having erection problems in class. Unless he had the hots for the teacher or certain girls in the classroom. They didn't really explain it well. I got Dan's solution to things, but I think after a while the teacher and his classmates would be wondering what the hell he was doing. Plus, at that age, you get so focused on being in front of the class, I don't think you subconscious drifts enough to think with the other head. 

I hate to get personal here but I am a fairly open person (at least online) lol. I had the same problem as DJ with the erections but that was in third grade. DJ was like 12 or 13 when he was having this problem...

And eventhough it was written as a joke, Dan was right. You just put something in front of it or held your hands in front.

You get the feeling that the writers/producers so enjoyed the masturbation episode that they wanted to duplicate it and boners was the next best thing.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

I hate to get personal here but I am a fairly open person (at least online) lol. I had the same problem as DJ with the erections but that was in third grade. DJ weas like 12 or 13 when he was having this problem...

And eventhough it was written as a joke, Dan was right. You just put something in front of it or held your hands in front.

You get the feeling that the writers/producers so enjoyed the masturbation episode that they wanted to duplicate it and boners was the next best thing.

Understand, different for everyone, but I agree they were trying to duplicate the masterbation episode, just not as effectivfe. Especially when Mark didn't get the references the other guys were saying, plus Mark's solution was a big backfire. 

5 hours ago, Dee said:

Jackie spiking the bouquet at Ed & Crystal's wedding will never not be funny.

I just watched that episode last night.

I can't stand that one extra that is Crystal's friend.

The one that does the "bah bum bum bum" parts when they sing the song. Probably was trying to get noticed so she'd get more work.

Horrible editing on CMT. They showed the scrabble cold open. Darlene used the word buckety. Mark chose the word oxygen. "The knowledge in my head is quite buckety".  They stopped the scene there instead of showing the rest of it where they made him think it was an abbreviation and he ended up with a two letter word. 

• Love 4

In watching the show again on Amazon Prime, I had forgotten just how unpleasant Darlene gets as the seasons progress.   I think Sara Gilbert has good comic timing, and, to me, is clearly the strongest of three child actors on the show, but her character gets so freaking abrasive as time goes on.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

In watching the show again on Amazon Prime, I had forgotten just how unpleasant Darlene gets as the seasons progress.   I think Sara Gilbert has good comic timing, and, to me, is clearly the strongest of three child actors on the show, but her character gets so freaking abrasive as time goes on.   

At least they acknowledged it. David saying she is a cold and uncaring bitch.

The whole tone of the show got more abrasive as time went on. Probably reflecting Roseanne's personal life...

• Love 8

Just watched the season 2 Thanksgiving episode. Crystal and Ed's relationship is revealed. Kind of weird how totally surprised Roseanne and Dan are in season 3 when she finds them making out. Dan acts like it's the first he's heard of it yet in this Thanksgiving episode he tells his dad to stay away from her and Ned Beatty tells him he's not going to.

Also can't reiterate how much I hate the actress who portrayed Audrey. The way she speaks in that dullsy southern tone. "This is my friend, Jay Bryant...."

I picture Dan's mom as being overweight and older looking. Dan was probably a big baby and I can't see him coming out of her. 

• Love 4

Just watched "An Officer and a Gentleman". This is the one where Roseanne leaves to take care of her dad and Jackie takes over the mothering responsibilities.

I almost feel like the whole episode was just to conceal Roseanne's new haircut. In the beggining she is wearing this big hat and they have to fall all over themselves explaining how it's so cold outside just to justify the hat.

Then when she comes back they had to concoct this story about why she got her haircut when she was taking care of her dad.

Did they really think people would care this much, or even notice, her hairstyle change? Lol

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Jackie's perm in the first few episodes of season was pretty outrageous lol.

Survived through to season 3 in the opening credits since they used the season 1 opening for some reason.

According to this article it was a wig: http://ew.com/article/2008/10/24/roseanne-family-reunion/

I agree that it wasn't a very complementary one. I always liked Laurie with long straight hair. The bob looked ok, but hated when she cut it completely into a boy cut.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

According to this article it was a wig: http://ew.com/article/2008/10/24/roseanne-family-reunion/

I agree that it wasn't a very complementary one. I always liked Laurie with long straight hair. The bob looked ok, but hated when she cut it completely into a boy cut.

Good read, never saw that.

I would like to see what Lecy thought of Sarah. They seemed to have a sense of humour about the situation like with the two Beckys skit. Was there resentment?

• Love 1

Finished up season 2. Last episode is Roseannes birthday and Marsha gives her Saturday off... Funny, I thought Roseanne quit Chicken Divine over working weekends...

Also, Darlene says "David, you gotta help!" to DJ regarding the dishes.

Funny how in the Tornado episode Roseanne introduces it by saying it is the only episode where DJs full name is said.

She also says it in the episode when DJ plays hide and seek with her. "David Jacob, are you in the closet?" Or something like that.

Also funny how much different season 2 is from the rest of the series. It's the most "sitcomy" for sure. Just look at the beauty shop. They built this huge set for it, hired a large ensemble cast with Marsha and Iris and the ditzy blonde lady and Mrs Wellman and the various other beauty shop customers. Whoever thought this up must have envisioned this as a permanent aspect of the show.

How sitcomy. Roseanne works in a beauty shop throughout the series with all these broadly drawn characters and a constant stream of potential new clients to meet the requirements of any prospective storyline.

I feel this way because it happened between seasons. Season 3 was also when Tom Arnold got a lot of control. I can see him and Roseanne flipping tables over the beauty shop and taking the show in a different direction. I think this was the only job Roseanne had where her quiting/getting fired wasn't shown on camera. It's only mentioned in a piece of dialogue in season 3. Pretty large part of season 2 just to get a brief mention in season 3.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 4

Mostly I remember it being a pleasant surprise to learn D.J. stood for David Jacob rather than Dan Jr. (just personal preference; I don't like kids being named after their parents).  But, for specific incidents of "David Jacob," I remember at the spelling bee and when he and Roseanne were playing hide and seek.  I had a vague memory of him once being called just "David," so that must be the one mentioned above, with Darlene telling him to help with the dishes. 

• Love 3

Did we ever hear her referred to as Rebecca?  It's possible her name is Becky; I have a friend Jenny who is not a Jennifer.  And when Becky went through the phase of not liking her name - because it sounds like a chicken noise - she didn't switch to going by Rebecca instead.  So maybe Becky is her name.

Edited by Bastet

I forgot about the spelling bee...

Yes, "Rebecca" is heard a couple times at least that I can remember. Pretty sure it's said when Roseanne has to go see the principal about her giving the finger.

Also, I forget the episode but Darlene says something like "We're waiting Rebecca!" when she's asked where she was.

• Love 5

Yes, that's right - when Roseanne walks in for her meeting with the principal after the school photo incident, she does say, "I'm Rebecca Conner's mom."

I love that episode so much, I can't pick a favorite moment, but right now "We're all fingers over here" is what's jumping out at me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, that's right - when Roseanne walks in for her meeting with the principal after the school photo incident, she does say, "I'm Rebecca Conner's mom."

I love that episode so much, I can't pick a favorite moment, but right now "We're all fingers over here" is what's jumping out at me.

I love Anne Marie... "We're just killing time until the stripper shows up right?"

• Love 6

I would've loved if Roseanne and Jackie had started the diner with Anne Marie & Bonnie instead of Bev & Nancy. That all too brief era where the four of them (and Crystal) hung out was great.

• Love 9

Laff TV is showing the episodes around the time of Roseanne's pregnancy. I usually avoid the episodes after Jackie's wedding since I don't enjoy them as much, especially the ones dealing with David and Darlene and their breakup. I didn't mind him when the show aired, but after watching the reruns over the years, I can't stand him. I hated how he acted when Darlene was accepted to college and he wasn't and I hated how he squealed to Roseanne and Dan about her doing drugs after she broke up with him so that they wouldn't let her go back to school. He's there with Nancy and Arnie as one of the worst characters on the show. 

• Love 3

That line in the sweet 16 episode always catches me... Roseanne says "more punch?" and Anne Marie says "You know I am!". That line really seemed ad libed to me. Wonder if it was in the script.

Her being a partner is the diner is an interesting idea. I think part of her charm was that she wasn't in every episode though.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

That line in the sweet 16 episode always catches me... Roseanne says "more punch?" and Anne Marie says "You know I am!". That line really seemed ad libed to me. Wonder if it was in the script.

Her being a partner is the diner is an interesting idea. I think part of her charm was that she wasn't in every episode though.

Anne Marie, Chuck and even the brief appearances of Chuck Jr. were so welcome on the show and the dynamic was great with all of them. It was like old friends reuniting and realizing they still are good friends. It was real nice and I was not a fan when they dumped them all of a sudden. Same with Roseanne's rotating neighbors over the years. I felt like when the neighbors served the writers' purpose they ran out of the ideas. They moved away. Found that annoying. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, readster said:

Anne Marie, Chuck and even the brief appearances of Chuck Jr. were so welcome on the show and the dynamic was great with all of them. It was like old friends reuniting and realizing they still are good friends. It was real nice and I was not a fan when they dumped them all of a sudden. Same with Roseanne's rotating neighbors over the years. I felt like when the neighbors served the writers' purpose they ran out of the ideas. They moved away. Found that annoying. 

Kathy was the best but you are right about serving the writer's purposes. The Bowman's moved away either because Roseanne thought it was to "sitcomy" having a rival neighbour and grew weary of it, OR, when Becky left they wanted to repeat the Darlene/Becky rivalry with another teenage girl (ie Molly). Charlotte was just a bonus.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Dee said:

I would've loved if Roseanne and Jackie had started the diner with Anne Marie & Bonnie instead of Bev & Nancy. That all too brief era where the four of them (and Crystal) hung out was great.

So much THIS. I loved Bonnie and Anne Marie. They were so genuine and funny. And man, could Bonnie Sheridan sing. One of my favorite episodes is the Mother's Day BBQ. When Bonnie belts out You Really Got A Hold On Me, all activity in my house grinds to a halt and we crank up the volume.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So much THIS. I loved Bonnie and Anne Marie. They were so genuine and funny. And man, could Bonnie Sheridan sing. One of my favorite episodes is the Mother's Day BBQ. When Bonnie belts out You Really Got A Hold On Me, all activity in my house grinds to a halt and we crank up the volume.

Completely agreed and it would have made sense. Bonnie had the experience of dinning and Anne Marie could have been the book keeper and accountant. Man, talk about a complete missed opportunity. 

• Love 7

Rewatching on Prime - my god those episodes are butchered to pieces. The aspect ratio is stretched, then will randomly got normal for a few seconds, then back again.

ive been skipping around and I guess I never realized at the time how fucking awful seasons 8 and 9 are. Season 9 takes the cake, but the season 8 was surprisingly awful. Caught Roseambo again. Can't believe something that atrocious made it to air.

Given our TV was a small POS when I was a kid, I'm also noticing how atrocious the set was. Wall paper peeling by the fridge, baseboards that don't connect, painted over light switches, and some appalling stucco all over their living room wall. 

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Rewatching on Prime - my god those episodes are butchered to pieces. The aspect ratio is stretched, then will randomly got normal for a few seconds, then back again.

ive been skipping around and I guess I never realized at the time how fucking awful seasons 8 and 9 are. Season 9 takes the cake, but the season 8 was surprisingly awful. Caught Roseambo again. Can't believe something that atrocious made it to air.

Given our TV was a small POS when I was a kid, I'm also noticing how atrocious the set was. Wall paper peeling by the fridge, baseboards that don't connect, painted over light switches, and some appalling stucco all over their living room wall. 

A lot of people painted or wall papered over light switches back then.

• Love 2
On 8/26/2017 at 1:40 PM, readster said:

Completely agreed and it would have made sense. Bonnie had the experience of dinning and Anne Marie could have been the book keeper and accountant. Man, talk about a complete missed opportunity. 

I really liked those characters too but it's hard to see many storylines involving them. 

Nancy was a lesbian and Bev was the sea hag mom. 

Bonnie sang and was married to David Crosby. Anne Marie was married to Dan's poker buddy and went to high school with Roseanne.

Sitcoms are based on conflict and they were too much like Roseanne to be regulars IMO.

• Love 1

Sitcoms are based on conflict and they were too much like Roseanne to be regulars IMO.

I thought that was why they ended the beauty salon storyline so haphazardly.  There wasn't any conflict, and Roseanne worked best when she had an antagonist to play off. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I think they also wanted to keep Leon around and after they closed the restaurant, the best way to do that was to make him a partner in the restaurant. 

Which I am glad they did. I loved Leon. I just wish the Lunchbox was owned jointly by Roseanne and Dan, Leon, Jackie, Bonnie and Anne Marie. That would have been a lot more fun. Nancy added nothing to the show except an excuse to keep Arnie around. Bleh.

• Love 3

Keep forgetting to post about this! 

The season 3 finale, Ziggy comes to town and they get the idea to open the bike shop.

What I never understood was the end credits scene where Darlene finds the envelop. Dan and Roseanne leave to go try to get a bigger loan. Darlene comes in and finds a manilla, legal size envelop on the fridge with a note from Ziggy.

She reads the note and pulls out 7 or 8 bills and runs out the door saying "Mom, Dad, wait!"

I never understood why she does this. We see the giant stack of 20gs at the beginning and its pretty hefty. Way too big to fit in that one envelop. So did he just give them part of the money or all of it? She only pulls out maybe 6 or $700 at the most assuming they were all $100 bills.

Then she runs out after them... Why? She wasn't in the scene so she doesn't know they are going to the bank lol. Also it's like it's urgent she stops them. The bank had to do a second mortgage to get $30000. Really doubtful they'd raise it another $20000. 

Finally, it's not even mentioned in the season 4 opener. Dan just has his bike shop and Mark works there against Roseanne's protests. In the season 3 finale it was her idea to hire him.

I guess we have to believe the entire amount was in the envelop and there was no obligation to repay any of it back.

I am probably nit picking but it's like they used that scene with Darlene to create a cliffhanger inbetween seasons and then there's no mention of it in the next episode.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

And in my mind Ziggy was "back at Christmas." I so agree about Bonnie S. and Anne Marie. The highlight hearing her sing. She also did a duet with Jerry Garcia at the bowling alley. 

Bastet is right, but I understand the confusion. They're both fat classic rockers with a lot of facial hair. ;)

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Didn't  Garcia show up while Jerry was born though?

No, that was an actor playing Jerry Garcia.  As you noted, the real deal couldn't have appeared, since he'd recently died (which is what prompted Roseanne to switch the baby from a girl to a boy and name it after Garcia in tribute).

• Love 4