Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Day One

I liked Citizen Z's background, as a Snowden type hacker/spy.  Really well done.  Also, I like how so much information was conveyed in so little time.  (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, WALKING DEAD)

Roberta's story was good, too.  I like that she immediately realized the zombie threat and just started aiming for the head.  She's so awesome. 

It was nice to Mac again.  

I also like that 10K was kind of a nerd.  Appropriate.  He's adorable even in flaming nerdom. 

"Ten minutes then GTFO."  I love you Roberta.  :-)

• Love 12

what surprised me tonight was that we learned that 10k's real name is.......Tommy. Thought for sure we'd have to wait until shows finale to learn that. It was also a bit weird seeing Murphy with no beard and normal coloring.

But of all them my heart goes out to Vasquez. Seeing his wife and daughter come back as Zs I'm surprised he's hasn't gone nuts.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 5

I liked Citizen Z's background, as a Snowden type hacker/spy.  Really well done.  Also, I like how so much information was conveyed in so little time.  (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, WALKING DEAD)

And Citizen Z was headed for some hard time when he was recruited by the NSA -- and the NSA knew about the pending zombie apocalypse.  The question now is -- who hacked Citizen Z's computers from Hawaii, and was using them to track Murphy ?

Roberta's story was good, too.  I like that she immediately realized the zombie threat and just started aiming for the head.  She's so awesome. 

"Ten minutes then GTFO."  I love you Roberta.  :-)

Roberta was in charge of a troop of M-35s heading for Trenton when things went south -- M-35s, by the way, are Army cargo trucks.  I loved that GTFO line by Roberta.

Doc totally looked like George Carlin working as a psychiatrist.

I also like that 10K was kind of a nerd.  Appropriate.  He's adorable even in flaming nerdom. 

We already knew part of 10K's backstory from last season when we found out how his dad died, but 10K was a dorky kid out fishing in the woods when shit went down. I was just surprised by how many people were out in the woods, and nearly all of them were Zs (except for his dad).

It was nice to Mac again.  

Addie looked really hot at that hockey game.  And she met Mack the very first day of the ZA, go figure.  I kind of wish they hadn't killed Mack off.

Vasquez gets the absolute worst of all the backstories.  Holy fuck -- not only was he at the funeral home after Escorpion had murdered his wife and daughter, but both of them became Zs.  And to make things worse, he probably had to put both of them down. What a horror story !!  I'm surprised he's not more screwed up.

We already knew that Murphy was in prison for postal fraud, but we didn't know that he kind of escaped on the day of the outbreak and must have been recaptured shortly thereafter.

The diner is obviously a cover for something -- but what ?  The lab ? The NSA ? Friends of Dr. Kurian ?

• Love 3

Best episode of the season, IMO.  Loved the backstories.  And poor Vasquez.  Damn.

I wonder if the actor who played Mac had another role lined up.  Otherwise, I don't see why they killed him off.

Doc did look like George Carlin. 

Murphy looked kind of strange as his "normal" self.  I never thought I'd say this, but he looks better as a half-zombie.

And it can't be said enough:  Roberta is awesome.  

I hope to see all of these ZNation actors on other shows when this one ends.

• Love 7

I'm from the Tri-Cities so I am super excited to learn that Mack was an American. That's awesome. I loved that he teamed up with a Chief to start taking out zombies. 

Doc's was my favorite flashback. His thought process when he saw the 1st zombie attacking that guy on the couch was hilarious. Roberta's was also pretty awesome. I love that she immediately started using head shots. Vasquez's story was too messed up. Poor guy. 

I wonder who is in Hawaii. More NSA guys? Or the people who released the zombie virus?

Some things I noticed on 2nd viewing.

If Mack and Addie were from Washington State (based on the fact that they were at the Spokane Chiefs arena), how did they get from there to upstate New York 3 years later ?  Now that would be an interesting story.

The zombie virus had to have been airborne for a while before the day of the outbreak -- because -- neither Vasquez's wife nor daughter were bit, yet were already infected by it.  They had been dead for a least a couple of days -- and they had most likely been enbalmed by that point when they were in the funeral home.  

And it's weird that they just suddenly turned as other zombies started appearing at about the same time -- almost like someone had thrown a switch to enable the previously distributed zombie virus.  Which means there might be a way to turn it off.  I'm getting flashbacks from 'Revolution' -- that the zombie virus might be Nanites !!!

Man, that was a bad wig Citizen Z was wearing during that plea bargain meeting.  And Citizen Z's real name is Simon Kruller.  Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the dog still doesn't have a name.

Roberta was located at Joint Base Maguire - Dix - Lakehurst just south of Trenton on the day of the outbreak.

When Mack and Beale were on the ice about to fight and were interrupted by the zombie.

Mack: "Is it zombie night ?"

Beale: "No, that's next Thursday."

10K had a cool T-shirt -- it looked like it was Earth's moon resembling the partially constructed Death Star from 'Return of the Jedi'.

The part that surprises me is that there is all this technology still online 3+ years into the ZA and it is still interconnected (which means they have reliable power) -- server in Ukraine, to a cell phone tower in India, to a satellite dish farm in South Africa, then to Camp Northern Light, then back to China, Mexico, Antarctica (is McMurdo still online ?), with the final connection to Molokai, Hawaii.  And looking at the map on his laptop screen, there were active connections in Sao Paulo, Brazil, some place in Wisconsin, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, New York, Greenland, Iceland, Italy, Oslo, Ireland, Dubai, Benghazi (oh the irony), Perth, West Africa, Hanoi, -- and some mysterious place in northern North Korea that had connections into Japan (though it might be Vladivostok). 

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
what surprised me tonight was that we learned that 10k's real name is.......Tommy.

This isn't actually new information, Cassandra has called him "Tommy" before, and he told her not to use his name around the others. I wish they hadn't killed Cassandra off. Mack I don't miss, mostly because I think White Light is the best ever episode of Z Nation. I felt sure they were going to kill someone and I feared it would be Doc, so when it was Mack instead I was mostly just relieved.

Weird that all the dead seemed to rise simultaneously. Between that and how quickly people turn on this show, I doubt it's a virus.

• Love 1

Walking Dead, take note - THIS is how to do character backstories.  (Damn, Z Nation is doing just about everything better than TWD and it's just supposed to be a low-budget satire.)

Poor Vasquez!  Not only is his family murdered in front of him he has to see them come back as zombies.  He really gets the worst of it.

I love that Mack was a player on the hockey team Addy was rooting against.  Nice touch.

Mack: "Is it zombie night ?"

Beale: "No, that's next Thursday."

Hee!

The game Mack and Addy were at - wasn't that the same game Roberta's co-workers were watching on TV in the breakroom?

Citizen Z - don't smash the servers with a sledgehammer, just unplug them!  He may need the gear later. 

At Roberta's age shouldn't she have been a captain by now?  In Sharknado (a shared universe, apparently) she's a sergeant so I'm going to guess she was enlisted for a while until she got a college degree later and then switched to the officer track.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 10
Walking Dead, take note - THIS is how to do character backstories.  (Damn, Z Nation is doing just about everything better than TWD and it's just supposed to be a low-budget satire.)

Aaaand, they didn't drag the backstories out.

• Love 5

The game Mack and Addy were at - wasn't that the same game Roberta's co-workers were watching on TV in the breakroom?

Nice catch @GreyDaddy -- the hockey game that the soldiers were watching in Roberta's flashback WAS a match between Spokane and the Tri-City Americans, possible even the very same hockey game from Addie's backstory.

If it was the hockey game from Addie's flashback, that adds some credence to my theory upthread that the zombie virus kind of 'turned on' all at once around the world -- since Addie and Roberta were on opposite coasts at the time -- and there may be more to the zombie virus than what was previously thought.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

But of all them my heart goes out to Vasquez. Seeing his wife and daughter come back as Zs I'm surprised he's hasn't gone nuts.

I didn't watch season 1 and came in late to season 2, so I didn't realize that zombies were made by virus.  As a result, I cried foul when Vasquez's wife and daughter turned.

I wasn't as wowed by it -- it seemed more filler than anything to me.

Not only did Vasquez have to kill his zombie wife and daughter... but he had to BEAT them to death, because he was already out of bullets. Does Roberta know all the details of that story, I wonder? Because, if so, then it very slightly excuses her for allowing that macho fisticuffs climax with Escorpion last week.

I was just about to give up on the show, but this episode pulled me back in. Really liked all the backstories except Murphy (but that's probably because I dislike the character so much). But did they ever explain how Vasquez got away after Escorpion killed his wife and child? Based on how his face looked at the funeral home, it seemed to be very shortly after he was a captive.