Type keyword(s) to search

S13: Talk

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I remember the race is the opposite route started from east in Brazil, then west to Bolivia, farther west in New Zealand, up northwest to Cambodia, then India, the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan and European Russia. This was the second Race season filmed entirely in Spring.

Andrew & Dan spared to avoid elimination in certain legs and managed to finish in 3rd place.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

As long as somebody's posting here . . . has there been a team as hapless as Andrew & Dan? It's a miracle that they made the final leg, because they sucked so hard. The Russian leg is the best evidence. . . from the miscues stemming from not reading the clue to one of them doing the marching equivalent of Elaine Benes' "little kicks." If Toni & Dallas don't lose their passports, no way do they make it to the finale. I think they're saving grace is that they didn't clash often to the point where it got ugly (lookin' at you, Logan & Chris).

• Love 2
(edited)

As long as somebody's posting here . . . has there been a team as hapless as Andrew & Dan? It's a miracle that they made the final leg, because they sucked so hard. 

I'm watching season 13 and these two are proof that you don't have to be very good at Amazing Race to somehow get very far. It's not just the many stupid things they did. It's the slack-jawed cluelessness and indifference on their faces whenever they messed yet another thing up. They talk about how they're going to have to do better in a emotionless monotone, because they have no idea what "do better" means.

They were saved twice by non-elimination legs late in the season. 

And of course they have to show how us how little they know about the countries on our planet. One of them didn't know that Cambodia is in Asia, however the other one did. The dumber one said he didn't know because he didn't go to "an expensive private school" like the other one did. Do public schools not teach geography any more? I know the subject has gotten tougher with the fall of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia but I'm sure most of the kids could pass.

Edited by scowl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I liked this ending cuz it was right here in Portland... right when we had half of downtown torn up for another light rail expansion. There was no way to drive on 5th between the Portland Building and The Standard building because the street was completely destroyed. I just went over the Bridge of the God last weekend. The zip line to the tiny island below must have been a frightening drop but if you can walk along a log 40 feet up in the air and jump off of it, a zip line is probably nothing.

And poor Andrew and Dan, not even close to winning. I loved Nick and Starr. They hardly argued and Starr looked great on my TV.

Edited by scowl
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:00 PM, Lantern7 said:

As long as somebody's posting here . . . has there been a team as hapless as Andrew & Dan? It's a miracle that they made the final leg, because they sucked so hard.

I'd say Brian & Ericka from TAR15 could at least be contenders.  The amount of lucky breaks they needed was almost as much as the ones Andrew & Dan needed.  Josh & Brent, the Beekmans, from TAR21 are another good example, and they actually managed to win in spite of it all.  After that, I can't really name any others who can contend with that distinction till TAR28, which had Sheri & Cole.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Geenee said:

Different strokes for different folks - those chauvinistic oafs had no place reaching the Finale over pretty much every eliminated team besides the second boot. 

I'd say the first boots, as well.

But when were they chauvinistic?  Dan might've been, and I missed it, but when was Andrew?

• Love 1

Gross and vomit. Disliked Nick and Starr (odd name) from the very start. They came off as smug and cocky to me, even though Nick was a total cutie in their stupid camouflage outfits. The baker lady should have made him lift the bags of flour naked. 

Super boring and uninspired cast overall. I only cared about the bee farmers, the geeks, and to a lesser extent - the divorcees (mainly because they had beef with the jungle safari siblings). And all of those teams left early.

Not very exciting locations, I don't think they even went to Europe (unless you count Russia), but some fun challenges (e.g. the Holi festival where a random guy threw pink color in Nick's face). Loved that they went to Portland though.

This was just a super boring season for me. Binged it the quickest just to get it out of the way. Next.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

Gross and vomit. Disliked Nick and Starr (odd name) from the very start.

It was a nickname for Emily.

3 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

This was just a super boring season for me. Binged it the quickest just to get it out of the way. Next.

You won't be very pleased.  The next three seasons aren't much better.  TAR14 starts out okay, but about midway . . . well . . .

13 wasn't a terribly competitive season, but i did enjoy it, as i liked both Ken and Tina, as well as Terrence and Sarah. Those two teams provided many memorable and humorous moments. Loved the Portland finale as well, and I found the locations to be diverse enough, with Kazakhstan and Bolivia and Cambodia being good first time visits.

Plus, Andrew and Dan doing the march is one of the all time great moments.

I think it really boils down to the cast. The more distinction the teams are able to bring - whether that be from demographic, dynamic, occupation, backstory, whatever, the better it is for the show. The frat boys made a lot of mistakes, but they had more personality than the other 3 teams combined. And the budding romance plotlines between the conventionally good looking young hetero white people make for the biggest snoozefest. I would love to see two hillbillies or two elderly folks hook up on this show.

• Love 1
On 6/18/2017 at 4:30 PM, cherrypj said:

You cannot top this military "march" from Andrew & Dan. Makes me laugh so hard.

Just seeing the dull looks on their clueless faces in the interview made me laugh at them all over again. 

• Love 1

My husband and I are watching/re-watching the Amazing Race in order from season 1. We just watched 13x2 and we're both stumped about the roadblock. Can anyone explain the "correct solution" for the wall challenge? Was the only way to figure it out to write down all the locations and read them one by one? If so, I find that quite unsatisfying!

On 1/12/2016 at 9:00 PM, Lantern7 said:

If Toni & Dallas don't lose their passports, no way do they make it to the finale.

On 4/4/2016 at 5:05 PM, scowl said:

They were saved twice by non-elimination legs late in the season. 

Neither of these are true. If Toni & Dallas hadn't lost their passports then Ken and Tina would've been eliminated, the boys came in before them because Ken and Tina didn't pick up their final clue for that leg.

The boys were only saved once by a non-elim.

Very unmemorable winners. I'm sure in a few days I'll have forgotten them again. But they worked well together. Very tiring final memory challenge

Tina was obnoxious. Her micromanaging Ken at the car painting roadblock was so annoying. When did they institute the rule about the partners not being able to help in any way? Then she wasted time looking for a hoodie before counting the statues...why? so silly.

Andrew and Dan. Oh my! that march was worthy of the Ministry of Silly Walks. And when they crawled up those steps? what exactly were they thinking about because I would've been counting them automatically while doing that. That they should get a dancing speed bump after messing up the march is food for conspiracy theorists.

Apparently they were told to give the person doing the counting statues Roadblock all the cash and passports, I guess because they were running around and taking cabs while the partner waited in one place. We saw both Toni and Dan give the money to their partners. This probably led to Dallas forgetting the bag with the passports as he was not the one usually carrying them.

Terence and Sarah were just plain weird. Especially Terence, he behaved like an insecure 5 yr old. He got upset when Sarah merely talked to other teams because he wanted all her attention. Then he had her blow on the small bump he received from the trunk lids then wanted to squirt water up his nose to get the paint out. Just very strange. But then she would get upset that teams wouldn't say Hi to her.

Really not a very interesting season. But at least I didn't hate anyone in the final.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2017 at 7:31 PM, Star Aristille said:
On 12/3/2017 at 3:58 PM, Roccos Brother said:

Gross and vomit. Disliked Nick and Starr (odd name) from the very start.

It was a nickname for Emily.

Plus it fits with their family name of Spangler (the nickname makes her Starr Spangler.)  And it was also kind of cute when she was dating Dallas (as in Texas, the Lone Star(r) state.)

• Love 1