Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E07: Ryan Gosling / Leon Bridges

• Start Topic

aside from the alien sketch which felt like Kate was making stuff up as she went along.

Kat was unbelievable in that sketch. She was so over the top funny that I can't believe they did not break more. "Did they do the boobie thing to ya" while puffing away was .......comic lunacy at its best. Her crazy eyes worked for her here as it does when she plays some foreign lady.

She is not as strong when she can not go over the top and that is why her Hillary pales next to Amy Poehler's.

• Love 2

Santa Baby was a close second, all for the line delivery on "Then how the FUCK did Santa get here??"

That line made me 100% lose it.  I was laughing so hard I almost choked.  In addition, the "Your dad's back. Alright." line from "Birthday Party" didn't get enough love, in my opinion.

Cut for time

I rather enjoyed it, especially some of the cut away shots.  I just take it as a pretty brutal takedown on how lame family sitcoms, maybe specifically the TGIF ones in the '90s, could be.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Cut for time

I rather enjoyed it, especially some of the cut away shots. I just take it as a pretty brutal takedown on how lame family sitcoms, maybe specifically the TGIF ones in the '90s, could be.

You know, it hit the right skewering beats, but it's weirdly low energy to me, and not just because there's no audience noise. The acting is purposely flat, which I actually don't get, since one characteristic of a lot of the TGIF shows (including Family Matters, which thy were clearly going after) is that the acting is wildly over the top. They also probably should've kept the fake audience noises in there throughout; it was odd that it cut out after the first 30 seconds.

• Love 2

They've already done sketches that were pretty much identical to the one that was cut for time. Chris Pratt was in one, where his character starts hanging with a "bad crowd" (of little kids), and there was a sketch in the Andrew Garfield episode, where there's a dispute over who gets the last chicken wing. (That one was also cut for time.)

It's the same gags as before - bizarre cutaways, over-the-top audience reactions and flat acting.

Cut for time

I rather enjoyed it, especially some of the cut away shots.  I just take it as a pretty brutal takedown on how lame family sitcoms, maybe specifically the TGIF ones in the '90s, could be.

The Clothes alone had me cracking up..especially how high their pants are sitting on their waistline's. Good times..

Edited by Thinbalina

I admit to watching Family Matters and I remember the episodes when Steve Urkel became "Stefan Urkell". Still didn't find the sketch that funny. Princess Sparkle is right about the low energy being a weird choice, when those TGIF sitcoms were full of very broad acting. Cutting it was a good choice because it was a pretty fun show overall with Ryan Gosling breaking during most of it.

I stopped watching SNL last year for the most part but found myself watching this episode over the weekend...

The only thing that caught my attention was the song played during the Santa sketch..I noticed none of the action or plot but was fascinated by Ricky Nelson singing "I Will Follow You"...

That's one I haven't heard before...so whoever chose the music for that, perfectly done...