Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, jewel21 said:

So I spoke to my mom the other day. My uncle is still in an Ottawa hospital but is supposed to be transferred by ambulance to Kitchener in the next day or so. I had heard he had problems speaking to my other uncle, his speech was off and slurred. But, my mom got to speak with him two days ago and she said he spoke well, just very low, and his memory is intact. So fingers crossed.

Gramps is in heart failure. They changed his meds around and he has to see the doctor again in three months. I hope there's improvement. He has a lot of water in his legs and around the lungs.

Marguerite is doing well. Still a bit congested in her nose but the lungs are clear and she's spending longer periods outside her carrier. She's still sleeping on a heating pad. She purrs now when being held and kneads the foster's face with her paws. The foster is rescuing a ton of cats and many are up for adoption. I want them all but I'm scared they'll eat Steve.

Speaking of Steve, it turns out he's scared of rolls of wrapping paper, heh.

Marguerite playing and surrounded by other cats and dogs:

https://www.facebook.com/RefugeChatBri/videos/1200838693336290/

I hope your Grandpa's new meds help jewel. My mother lived for many years with heart failure and in some degree of heart block. Just keep a good eye on him. Three months is a bit of long stretch between doctor visits. 

Your uncle sounds like he's coming around. It does take time but some recover quicker than others. 

Marguerite is just precious! I could never foster because I would want to keep them all. That's kind of how I ended up with so many moggies of my own. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I think finally tomorrow I'll be done w my shopping (and if you recall) I started before thanksgiving. And I have to buy the groceries and wine for the holiday meal. I visit her Christmas morning. 

Is anyone making or serving anything cool or yummy this year? I think I'm most excited about the cheese platter and the appetizer spread. 

I'm making a lasagna to take to my mom's for Christmas eve. She used to do it, but has gotten too old and ailing to do it. Of course there is a lot of baking, but I'm done with most of it.

My oldest son is a sound / light engineer in the film industry so he worked on a few of them. I think he texted KMN just about every day. He spent hours in a stable with a horse filming one scene.

That's one of those jobs that sounds cool, but ends up being a lot of grunt work. Still I'd rather spend the day with a horse than some of the "humans" I've worked with.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Patsy, that's so cool! What is he currently working on? I bet many people don't realize how many movies and TV shows are filmed in Toronto.

Right now he's working on a children's show for PBS. It's the second season. The first time I saw his name in credits, I was giddy. This is the kid that I thought would literally be the death of me years ago but now he has a job he loves and a great SO. He's done some documentaries, TIFF ( went drinking with Joseph Gordon Levitt) , commercials, those Hallmark movies, some bizarre indie films that he used a fake name for the credits they were so bad, etc. It is heavy, detailed work but he now has enough experience that he is in charge of his department. 

ETA: Rena Sofer has the most beautiful eyes and skin! 

Qui to your question about marguerite. 

Edited by PatsyandEddie
Extra
  • Love 6

So I got a question and since we've got a buncha Canadian ladies, I figure some here may have used this product called Fusion Mineral Paint that's created in Canada:

It's one of those minimal prep paints that is matte like chalk paint but self levels and requires no wax afterwards. So far, there are very few stores in the US that sell this, but the reviews I've seen have been nothing less than glowing. I was hoping one of you ladies may have made over a dresser or night table recently. ;)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Keeping a good thought for your Uncle and grandfather, Jewel.

Tweet Hey! to Steve, and a scritch for Marguerite. She's doing really well!

Merry Christmas to you, Almost Christmas Baby Snapoaz!

Thanks, Cupid Stunt!  Merry Christmas to you and yours!  

Since we Almost Christmas Babies always stick together, I'd also like to take the opportunity to wish your sister a Happy Birthday!  After all, she is a Prevert-by-proxy.

• Love 7

We're having the mulberry trees pilarded on Saturday, but with the nighttime frosts all the leaves are rapidly falling off.

And Hazel loves those piles of leaves, as you can see.

Hazel%20in%20leaves.jpg

• Love 11
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And the plots. aaarrggghhh: Tough minded, workaholic single mom moves to small town to start a new life, her whiny tot has trouble adjusting- but wait! Here come handsome craftsman/vintor/secretly rich scion of a vastly wealthy family who wants to make it on his own. He's been hurt before and understands that so has she. He shows her and her snot nosed brat the TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAStm Hallmark, Inc. Cue the snow and sappy music, rinse, repeat. KMN.

my teeth hurt and I think I'm going into a diabetic comahhhhhh............

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

So I got a question and since we've got a buncha Canadian ladies, I figure some here may have used this product called Fusion Mineral Paint that's created in Canada:

It's one of those minimal prep paints that is matte like chalk paint but self levels and requires no wax afterwards. So far, there are very few stores in the US that sell this, but the reviews I've seen have been nothing less than glowing. I was hoping one of you ladies may have made over a dresser or night table recently. ;)

Anna, have you tried their locator map-thingy?

I just did, and it's for sale two blocks from me in TO: http://fusionmineralpaint.com/where-to-buy/

Who knew? I've fallen behind on any furniture refinishing I used to do because the university eats my time, but now I'm curious.

my daughter came over for a visit yesterday and she was going to leave on the 12:50 ferry back to the mainland...

her son called her and told her daisy wasn't moving and he is worried she is going to deliver her pups early..like today...

she quickly got everything together and left for ferry but i just talked to her and she said when she paid for the ticket, cashier told her there was a possible sailing wait....sure hoping she makes it as she is terribly worried about daisy..

• Love 5

3 cars away from loading.....luckily the next one is at noon due to extra sailings today.

rhonda is going to call me once she is home and let me know what's happening with her...

she is only around 2 yrs old or just a bit over i think so i hope she delivers ok.

• Love 8

8786853815b5fbe1a6af270c7dab1e46.jpg

Saint Bibiana ***, hear my prayer ...

Is anyone making or serving anything cool or yummy this year? I think I'm most excited about the cheese platter and the appetizer spread. 

My parents usually host Christmas Day (We have ThanksChristgivingmas with the in-laws), but my father needed to have his second hip replacement early ... today. The surgery went well and they already have him walking.

My quick-thinking mother brought the crown roast to L.A. I'm doing a cayenne dry rub and stuffing it with butternut dressing, mashed potatoes, fruit plate, and antipasto platter. I have a couple of pies to make, fortunately the rest of the food is being made by the rest of the family.

Christmas Eve is Tom and Jerry's, junk food (crab dip, Buffalo chicken dip, Reuben dip), chicken and dumplings, rum cake, cookies and fruit Pavlova.

***Patron saint of hangovers

• Love 10

So I only have 15 GB of internet a month and I'm now at my limit until the 26th. Not sure I'll be around before then because I want to try and avoid going over, especially since I have to bring Steve back to the vet tomorrow (possible crop infection.) If you don't see me before then , Merry Christmas and sorry for the lack of recaps!

Best of luck with Daisy, Valleycliffe.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Thanks, Cupid Stunt!  Merry Christmas to you and yours!  

Since we Almost Christmas Babies always stick together, I'd also like to take the opportunity to wish your sister a Happy Birthday!  After all, she is a Prevert-by-proxy.

Sister Stunt is resting on her mistletoe and painting her fingernails. She's a Prevert and a half.

5 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

my daughter came over for a visit yesterday and she was going to leave on the 12:50 ferry back to the mainland...

her son called her and told her daisy wasn't moving and he is worried she is going to deliver her pups early..like today...

she quickly got everything together and left for ferry but i just talked to her and she said when she paid for the ticket, cashier told her there was a possible sailing wait....sure hoping she makes it as she is terribly worried about daisy..

Daisy makes it in the nick of time to catch the ferry!!!!! It's a Christmas Puppy Miracle!!!!

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

8786853815b5fbe1a6af270c7dab1e46.jpg

Saint Bibiana ***, hear my prayer ...

My parents usually host Christmas Day (We have ThanksChristgivingmas with the in-laws), but my father needed to have his second hip replacement early ... today. The surgery went well and they already have him walking.

My quick-thinking mother brought the crown roast to L.A. I'm doing a cayenne dry rub and stuffing it with butternut dressing, mashed potatoes, fruit plate, and antipasto platter. I have a couple of pies to make, fortunately the rest of the food is being made by the rest of the family.

Christmas Eve is Tom and Jerry's, junk food (crab dip, Buffalo chicken dip, Reuben dip), chicken and dumplings, rum cake, cookies and fruit Pavlova.

***Patron saint of hangovers

Ooo, that all sounds fine to me - the Crown Roast, but also the Christmas Eve treats.  We always did a Christmas Eve like that, all 7000 of us at the grandparents and then back there for a feed after Midnight Mass.  Parents tended not to get much sleep that night and all the families stayed at their own homes for Christmas day.

For us, it's a similar Christmas Eve, good food, but easy, and Christmas Day is a sit down meal.  

Edited by boes
speeling
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I'm doing a cayenne dry rub and stuffing it with butternut dressing, mashed potatoes, fruit plate, and antipasto platter.

that's quite the stuffing, how well do the mashed potatoes and fruit plate with antipasto go?  odd stuffing mix but if it tastes good that's all that counts...;)

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I'm doing a cayenne dry rub and stuffing it with butternut dressing, mashed potatoes, fruit plate, and antipasto platter.

4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

that's quite the stuffing, how well do the mashed potatoes and fruit plate with antipasto go?  odd stuffing mix but if it tastes good that's all that counts...;)

Yep, that reads wacky ... I've been having some issues with editing my posts or signing in on Previously TV. Thanks, Santa.

What I meant to post was: Butternut (white walnut) dressing, with side mashed potatoes, aside fruit plate ... If I don't have an antipasto platter, my family won't let me hear the end of it.

Anywho ...

It's December 23rd, the pressure is mounting, the rum and treacle is on tap, and the fake fur couch needs to be brushed out ...

0cc3b870259bee82d5c67858da145212.jpg

God bless us everyone.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It's December 23rd, the pressure is mounting, the rum and treacle is on tap, and the fake fur couch needs to be brushed out ...

Wow, how long did it take to drink all those Budwiesers?

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Yep, that reads wacky ... I've been having some issues with editing my posts or signing in on Previously TV. Thanks, Santa.

What I meant to post was: Butternut (white walnut) dressing, with side mashed potatoes, aside fruit plate ... If I don't have an antipasto platter, my family won't let me hear the end of it.

Anywho ...

God bless us everyone.

Happy Festivus! I've got the aluminum pole, let's start the feats of strength!

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Happy Festivus! I've got the aluminum pole, let's start the feats of strength!

Whaaaaaat?  Feats of strength before the airing of grievances??  Thats just crazy talk. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, klopek said:

Whaaaaaat?  Feats of strength before the airing of grievances??  Thats just crazy talk. 

Oh, I've been airing my grievances all right. I just don't have any with you guys. Did you make meatloaf and please tell me you remembered the lettuce?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Capricasix said:

(Warning: sweary language ahead) I will fucking cut 2016 if Carrie Fisher dies. She had a heart attack (or something) on a plane 15 minutes away from Los Angeles, and she's in hospital now.

I just saw that she was taken off the critical list.  Good thoughts.

• Love 11

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, and thank you for all the enjoyment you provide me every day!

And wonderful to see you, movinon! Be well.

Pearlite will now grinchily return to swearing as I clean silver...

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:05 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

Anything for you and the Preverts during the 24/7 over-load of Hallmark Christmas movies, forced cheer and salutations while floating in a sugarbrandybuttercreamcheeserumpeppermint tsunami.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Ain't it the truth! My husband lurves those atrocious Hallmark schlock fests. He even watches the heinous Christmas in July slop. I'm sorry dear hubby, but I hate that shit with the fiery heat of a thousand suns. It's an utterly formulaic, manipulative marketing tool used to advertise useless, meaninglessness to jaded consumers with more money than good sense. And the plots. aaarrggghhh: Tough minded, workaholic single mom moves to small town to start a new life, her whiny tot has trouble adjusting- but wait! Here come handsome craftsman/vintor/secretly rich scion of a vastly wealthy family who wants to make it on his own. He's been hurt before and understands that so has she. He shows her and her snot nosed brat the TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAStm Hallmark, Inc. Cue the snow and sappy music, rinse, repeat. KMN.

I've managed to avoid most of the post-modern simple syrup served up as Christmas movie fare until last night.

After dinner we were playing Hearts, the Yule Log Channel playing in the background, when the song list repeated for the second time ... "Let's watch a movie!"

My daughter put on "Purple Rain."

I bawled like a baby ... hiccups, red nose and the whole bit ...

12e6c4b0b9c7e1f289f36d2d85361a55.jpg

• Love 7

Ahhh, Christmas movies.....

There's this 1957 movie called "All Mine To Give", starring Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell, about a Wisconsin family in the 1860's  The parents die and then the oldest kid, about 14, has to find homes for his brothers and sisters on Christmas Eve.   It has it all - cute kids, death, loss, bad sets, death, heavy handed music, death - feeling Christmasy yet?

We watched it every year.

Which explains a lot...a whole lot.....

Here's the intro......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9kb6Pk31A

P.S.  I love it!

• Love 7

I'm watching It Happened on Fifth Avenue. Cool old homeless guy and his dog move into 2nd richest man in the world's mansion on 5th Avenue in New York every winter while said rich dude is in Virginia. A bunch of homeless WWII veterans and their wives and kids also move into mansion. Rich dude finds out and pretends to be homeless so he can keep an eye on his runaway daughter who is also staying in the mansion. Hilarity, sentimental music and much warming of the heart. Love old movies so much!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching It Happened on Fifth Avenue. Cool old homeless guy and his dog move into 2nd richest man in the world's mansion on 5th Avenue in New York every winter while said rich dude summers in Virginia. A bunch of homeless WWII veterans and their wives and kids also move into mansion. Rich dude finds out and pretends to be homeless so he can keep an eye on his runaway daughter who is also staying in the mansion. Hilarity, sentimental music and much warming of the heart. Love old movies so much!

That's a good one!  I first saw that last year, I think.  

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, boes said:

Ahhh, Christmas movies.....

There's this 1957 movie called "All Mine To Give", starring Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell, about a Wisconsin family in the 1860's  The parents die and then the oldest kid, about 14, has to find homes for his brothers and sisters on Christmas Eve.   It has it all - cute kids, death, loss, bad sets, death, heavy handed music, death - feeling Christmasy yet?

We watched it every year.

Which explains a lot...a whole lot.....

Here's the intro......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9kb6Pk31A

P.S.  I love it!

Okay, I'm looking that one up--that's got me written all over it.

Because we're all class, all the time, I'll share a Christmas moment here--I walked into the living room where daughter and others are watching youtubes of wholesome young Mormons from Brigham Young U singing carols. Fine, you say. Not so much--the catcalling, the filthy comments, and the profane religious jokes would peel wallpaper...lest you think that divinity/theology students lack the spirit of the season...

I will now go upstairs and swear even more as I attempt to wrap things. This is not in my skill-set.

• Love 5

I will now go upstairs and swear even more as I attempt to wrap things. This is not in my skill-set.

Do you have to do it sitting on the floor? Does it just about kill your back and knees? I want one of those big tables like Martha Stewart. I am terrible at wrapping. I swear every year that everybody's getting gift cards next year. Then I forget and do it all over again.

• Love 6