Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)
58 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yikes!  I love how she was talking about having "balance" in your life, and then falls down on her behind!

She handled it well, though.  But, gosh, that was quite the fall!

Yes, she handled it with what's the word? Ah yes, aplomb.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's so true. Peaches seemed to want to hide her suffering from me. I sincerely hope George is on the mend and feels his good old self tomorrow.

Thanks. He’s already feeling better today. It’s nice weather out in Chicago and we spent several hours at the park playing, jogging, people/bird/squirrels watching and had a picnic together. ❤️ One of our favorite things actually is when we devote and entire day or so alone together just goofing around, cuddling, on on some special activity like a small trip out of town. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Thanks. He’s already feeling better today. It’s nice weather out in Chicago and we spent several hours at the park playing, jogging, people/bird/squirrels watching and had a picnic together. ❤️ One of our favorite things actually is when we devote and entire day or so alone together just goofing around, cuddling, on on some special activity like a small trip out of town. 

Such fun!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That sounds super fun. I’m glad George is feeling better. Seeing our babies suffer is horrible. *hugs*

Steve has five more days of antibiotics to go and then we’ll stop for a week or two and get him re-examined. I hope the results will be negative and we can be done with the treatments.

I'm supposed to be starting that 4 week course on Saturday and I'm nervous. I hope it goes well. 

• Love 10

You’re gonna do great @jewel21. Not only will you learn some stuff, it’ll help your career and networking. 

It seems like a great field to develop in. As terrible as it sounds people will always have dental and medical issues so it’s good to learn about the billing and administrative side as a career. Actually I believe there’s a lot of growth i that since the boomer generation is aging. I got hired a part time job at a nursing home and begin training tomorrow. I was also hired another restaurant and did several shifts training there but all the did was have me train hosting and expediting not what I applied and hired to do, serve, so I quit. I also quit my shitty server job since I wasn’t making money and he wasn’t paying me on time (and would yell at me or insult when I’d ask him for my pay. It was a very low life place) so I’ve been doing shifts serving at a steakhouse in my town w a very fair and kind manager and enjoying working for him again.  

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

You’re gonna do great @jewel21. Not only will you learn some stuff, it’ll help your career and networking. 

It seems like a great field to develop in. As terrible as it sounds people will always have dental and medical issues so it’s good to learn about the billing and administrative side as a career. Actually I believe there’s a lot of growth i that since the boomer generation is aging. I got hired a part time job at a nursing home and begin training tomorrow. I was also hired another restaurant and did several shifts training there but all the did was have me train hosting and expediting not what I applied and hired to do, serve, so I quit. I also quit my shitty server job since I wasn’t making money and he wasn’t paying me on time (and would yell at me or insult when I’d ask him for my pay. It was a very low life place) so I’ve been doing shifts serving at a steakhouse in my town w a very fair and kind manager and enjoying working for him again.  

Thank you, @Petunia13! Between Steve and work and the course my anxiety is flaring up a bit but I know this course can only help me and my resume in the long-term. 

I'm so happy you found a good restaurant and manager to work for. And good luck with the nursing home! 

I'm hoping things will start looking up for us preverts. I think we deserve it. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Back in LA -- Interesting experience having our temperatures taken with an infrared thermometer getting on and off the plane. Two people were removed from the gate before we left Oahu. Particulate masks were abundant.

2020-02-07t005235z_1168805367_rc2cve9u66

Coronavirus may have spread undetected for weeks in Washington state, which reported first two deaths in U.S.

Virus Outbreak -- Associated Press latest news on an outbreak of respiratory illness from a virus that originated in China.

Virus response in Mideast tainted by political views of Iran

Coronavirus Could Break Iranian Society -- The government has refused to impose quarantines and is encouraging people to visit the city of Qom, the center of the outbreak.

Religious exemption vaccine bill clears Connecticut panel

Screen-Shot-2020-02-29-at-9.15.19-PM.png

Canadian equestrian and horse die following accident at cross-country competition -- A rotational fall, which is among the most dangerous in the sport, is when horse and rider somersault, with the horse landing on its back.

Colombians grapple with a big problem: wandering hippos

The Opioid Epidemic Might Be Much Worse Than We Thought -- A new paper suggests that death certificates dramatically undercounted the number of people dying from opioid overdoses.

This viral chart doesn’t explain much about middle-class living standards -- Oren Cass, the  wonkish face of populist economic conservatism, is wrong.

Climate change and soaring flood insurance premiums could trigger another mortgage crisis -- Officials fear “a huge foreclosure crisis” from FEMA flood insurance reforms.

Current, former executives at SC utility refuse to testify

Decriminalization of polygamy in Utah clears key hurdle in state legislature

1052339650.jpg

The mystery of how birds navigate is over, and the answer is so amazing -- It’s the first time magnetoreception has been discovered in animals, researchers claim.

4 million people have flocked to see the Obama portraits. Here's why -- One online review of Kehinde Wiley's portrait of Barack Obama offers one theory: "The colors are stunning and aren't done justice in the digital photography I've seen in the media." As the review suggests, you can't truly experience a portrait until you lift your head away from the device in your hand and look at the real thing. No matter how many reproductions you may have seen online, the original art is always far more profound in person.

Saving the Self in the Age of the Selfie -- We must learn to humanize digital life as actively as we’ve digitized human life

How the Venus de Milo got so famous -- The Venus de Milo is iconic. Why?

Your free TurboTax alternative now belongs to TurboTax -- Intuit just spent $7.1 billion to buy Credit Karma, the popular free credit monitoring and tax filing service.

The police want your phone data. Here’s what they can get and what they can’t. -- Phones hold gigabytes of potential evidence, but the government’s ability to access them depends on a patchwork of court decisions and laws that predate the technology.

Internet Shutdowns Become a Favorite Tool of Governments: 'It's Like We Suddenly Went Blind'

BB10zdVG.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

With California nearing drought, reservoir near San Jose ordered to be drained.

California's super-dry February raises specter of early fires and low reservoirs

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

It's Super Tuesday somewhere. 

GettyImages-1145635374-1.jpg

65 Things to Throw Out on Old Stuff Day

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

Who is getting sick, and how sick? A breakdown of coronavirus risk by demographic factors

China’s cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why. -- “It’s all about speed”: the most important lessons from China’s Covid-19 response.

WHO chief warns 'we are in uncharted territory' as number of coronavirus cases worldwide passes 90,000

img.png?width=1200&coordinates=0,59,0,60

That chilling coronavirus video graph? It only tells half the story. -- How to lie with statistics: The video fragment only shows increase in COVID-19 cases, reversing the video's original message to induce panic.

The Korean clusters -- How coronavirus cases exploded in South Korean churches and hospitals

As Coronavirus Numbers Rise, C.D.C. Testing Comes Under Fire 

Coronavirus is a deadly threat, but fear and panic are more dangerous, global health chief says

5e5d51e7230000d90fddddcb.jpg.cf.jpg

Most Americans are not prepared for a disaster. Now survival kits are all over Instagram. -- The Kardashians and the Real Housewives are talking about premade Judy survival kits. Are they any good? 

Walmart memo updates store employees on coronavirus crisis as fears mount and Americans begin to panic shop

A 13-year-old’s death highlights Puerto Rico’s post-Maria health care crisis -- Hundreds of doctors have left the island, and hospitals and clinics remain shuttered.

Here's what you need to know about the New York plastic bag ban

img.jpg?width=1920&height=1080

The life-long psychological effects your first love has on you, according to science -- If love is an addiction, your first love is the first dose.

Washington state legislators voted to reduce penalty for intentionally exposing a sexual partner to HIV

Exclusive: New evidence shows a patient warned Columbia University about OB-GYN's alleged sexual assault decades ago

UCLA gymnast Nia Dennis has crowd falling crazy in love with her Beyoncé-inspired routine

Aly Raisman insulted by USA Gymnastics' Nassar settlement, accuses them of 'cover-up'

The Joy of Fran Drescher

200205101601-03-london-rental-market-int

Welcome to London's rental market, where $2,000 a month gets you a bed beside the toilet

Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T could be facing big fines for selling your location data -- The potential fines follow an FCC probe into the carriers and the practice of selling location data.

Baltimore squeegee kids find work, risks, cash at stoplights

Marine general orders removal of Confederate items at bases

Taliban peace deal

Afghanistan peace deal just hit its first major obstacle -- Why prisoner swaps are hindering an intra-Afghan peace deal.

Obamacare is going back to the Supreme Court.

10 cities captured nearly 50% of the growth in new tech jobs -- Where tech jobs go, so does wealth.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I can't look. Did the toothbrush still have bristles?

It's very strange that I remember this episode after all these years.  I was apparently traumatized.  It had bristles that were twisty and weird.  She wanted to keep it because it was an electric toothbrush (I didn't remember this part).  She looked like a perfectly reasonable human being, but then, what reasonable human being would go on television to tell the world they have had the same toothbrush for 30 years?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

BB10HwmF.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

A general view of an interdisciplinary task-force meeting dealing with the outbreak of the Coronavirus across Germany, at the Ministry of Interior in Berlin, Germany on March 3. -- © Abdulhamid Hosbas/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

Coronavirus triggers cancellations, closures and contingency planning across the country

Administration team shifts tone from preventing coronavirus to containing it

U.S. Weighs Paying Hospitals for Treating Uninsured Virus Patients Using National Disaster Program

A School Administrator Contracted Coronavirus on a Class Trip. A Week Later, Parents Found Out. -- This person is teaching America's elite youth.

What is “social distancing,” and how can it slow the coronavirus outbreak? -- The difference between quarantine, isolation, and social distancing, explained.

The spread of the coronavirus couldn't have come at a worse time for Corona beer -- Yes. People are that stupid.

Gouge much? Purell for $149, face masks for $20: Coronavirus price hikes are making everyone mad

How to Make Homemade Hand Sanitizer -- I use oil of chamomile for scent and moisturizing properties. 

WHO warns of global shortage of medical equipment to fight coronavirus

How coronavirus spreads from person to person -- Here's what scientists know about how the virus spreads, and how to avoid contracting it.

You should prepare for the coronavirus, but don’t buy more than you need -- Grab a few extra items next time you grocery shop. Pick up your prescription ahead of time if you’re able. But don’t panic buy. -- Too late. Mr.Stunt ordered extra everything from the wholesaler for home and office, and sent Thing2 on 3 Costco runs. We are the proud owners of 5 cases of Clorox bleach and a tower of toilet paper.

What are the symptoms of the new coronavirus? -- What to do if you suspect you might have Covid-19.

List: Companies pulling out of SXSW 2020 amid coronavirus concerns 

Virginia governor signs bill banning conversion therapy for minors

She wanted addiction treatment. She ended up in the relapse capital of America. -- Brianna Jaynes asked for help for her drug addiction. Then Florida’s rehab industry exploited her for profit.

Lawsuits Accuse Big Hotel Chains of Allowing Sex Trafficking

7693de307e208e6b82abed894a59fa31

Shelters built in an olive grove next to the official Moria refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos. The grove itself has become a tent city after Moria overflowed. -- Photography by Alkis Konstantinidis.

For actor-turned-refugee, survival is the toughest role

Brand Targeted With Racist Reviews Over Ad Empowering Black Women -- Bigots suck.

Coming to a Smart Phone near you -- China cosmetic surgery apps: Swipe to buy a new face

South Korean men lead the world's male beauty market. Will the West ever follow suit? -- Is there any doubt?

Why what we look like matters more than ever -- So says the interwebs and media.

The American restaurant is on life support

fooddesert_wide-6ff27703f45e74605cc98b12

How To Find A Food Desert Near You USDA Map and What to Do If You Live in a Food Desert

Survey finds nearly 40 percent of college students are food insecure

In Argentina's north, indigenous children sicken and die from malnutrition -- Once one of the world’s richest countries and long a major supplier of beef, children are dying of hunger.

Pesticides damage the brains of baby bees, new research finds -- Pesticides are to kill bugs, right?

Facebook’s top news stories are like a window into an alternate dimension

200303131618-03-llama-wedding-exlarge-16

A man brought a llama to his sister's wedding, delighting just about everyone but the bride -- No kidding. Who wants to be upstaged by a llama in a tuxedo at your wedding?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't mind at all. Of course I never bought into that whole "bride must be center of attention" thing anyway.

Yeah, I'd be happy just that my wedding would be memorable, and for something funny/positive rather than horrible (like getting left at the altar). Most weddings blur together. If the guests care about anything, it's whether there is an open bar at the reception. Bride's dress, vows, etc.? Sorry, forgotten. Only the couple and their parents really remember all that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't mind at all. Of course I never bought into that whole "bride must be center of attention" thing anyway.

Being a Catholic in bad standing with my parish, marriage is still a sacrament -- Representative of the covenant of Christ and the Church, not the persons being married. The ceremony signifies and communicates grace through the sacrament and liturgical act of marriage.

If you want to bring a llama or other animals to church, there's the Feast of Saint Francis.

I wasn't suggesting that the wedding was the Bride's Day, and everything taking place was to circumnavigate around her. Bringing the llama to the wedding was a childish demonstration and deliberately antagonistic by the brother, exceeding its entertainment value.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
(edited)

BB10MW79.img?h=600&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

'I'm scared to lose my job and I'm scared to die': Retail employees describe working conditions as coronavirus panic heightens nationwide

California declares emergency over coronavirus as death toll rises in U.S.

What’s in the Congressional coronavirus funding package?

The conspiracy theories about the origins of the coronavirus, debunked -- There’s a rumor the coronavirus started in a Chinese lab. And a scientific consensus it didn’t.

More testing sheds light on how virus is spreading in US

Why pandemics activate xenophobia -- The coronavirus is much more than a public health problem.

Virus hammers business travel as wary companies nix trips -- I'm on the bubble to attend SXSW.

How the coronavirus outbreak is roiling the film and entertainment industries

800.jpeg

Dogs, cats can’t pass on coronavirus, but can test positive

‘When Can We Go to School?’ Nearly 300 Million Children Are Missing Class.

Why your travel insurance might not cover the coronavirus -- Trip insurance is designed for “unforeseen events.” An expert says the coronavirus isn’t. -- I had to buy a rider years ago to cover illness or injury.

How air travel and health care got great for the wealthy and worse for everyone else -- A new book explains how everything, from theme parks to higher education, became so much better for the rich and so much worse for the rest of us.

Mad Mom of missing children to be extradited to Idaho to face charges: "She's going to be held accountable"

How MLB is trying to limit cheating after the Astros scandal -- <walks away laughing>

Doctors try 1st CRISPR editing in the body for blindness

Here's Why Health Experts Want to Stop Daylight-Saving Time

FDA bans shock device used on mentally disabled patients

Rebecca Solnit on Harvey Weinstein, feminism, and social change

Why the Weinstein Jury Decided to Convict: Inside the Deliberations

Jury decides Tavis Smiley must pay PBS in #MeToo dispute -- That's gonna' leave a dent.

800.jpeg

Panel recommends disbarment for ex-Illinois Gov. Blagojevich -- Can't pardon your corrupt ass out of being disbarred.

Supreme Court asked to let 'faithless electors' vote their own way

Gadgets for tech giants made with coerced Uighur labor

‘Hardball’ host Chris Matthews announces abrupt retirement from MSNBC -- It's not just about the pretense of firing Matthews for making unsolicited 'compliments' or sexually harassing women (though Matthews didn't pay the same personal attention to the men interviewed on his show), it's about his news program no longer being informative and becoming a forum for a popular media gadfly regularly flaming out. And guess what, Matthews bosses at MSNBC were done with his cult of personality becoming the news.

This Etiquette Book Sold Out in 24 Hours -- The hot trend for 2020 is… good manners? -- It couldn't hurt.

Ikea recalls 800,000 dressers that could injure or kill kids -- Why isn’t the company investing more in stable furniture? -- Because it costs more money, which cut profit margins.

She discovered a lost graveyard and a mystery she longs to solve: Who is buried there?

Recording Academy fires Deborah Dugan -- The status quo is upheld.

Why Parasite’s success is forcing a reckoning in Japan’s film industry -- How exploitative working conditions and failed government initiatives have weakened Japan’s cultural influence abroad.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

coronavirus-us-cases-map-promo-158327742

A state-by-state breakdown of US coronavirus cases

Why there’s still no single, accurate coronavirus death rate -- Here’s what we know.

Covid-19, explained by Carl (who has it) -- What’s it like to be quarantined with coronavirus?

Kirkland, Washington: Scene of America's worst coronavirus outbreak

Silicon Valley’s top investing firm has a stark message on coronavirus: Prepare for the worst -- Sequoia Capital sent a dark memo to its portfolio companies on Thursday.

Lack of paid sick leave puts workers, public at risk in coronavirus outbreak

US airlines are waiving fees and canceling domestic flights as coronavirus spreads -- Global air travel is expected to decline for the first time since 2009.

Coronavirus email scams are trying to cash in on your fear -- The coronavirus-related phishing attacks have arrived. Here’s how to prevent getting infected.

The coronavirus cruise ship quarantines confirm cruises are bad -- Being imprisoned on a petri dish with a chance of drowning? What could go wrong?

Why Amazon can’t stop coronavirus price gougers -- They don't make any money that way? -- Packs of Purell hand sanitizer are as high as $350 on Amazon, and the company is struggling to deal with the problem.

How the coronavirus rumor mill can thrive in private group chats -- Social media platforms work to fight coronavirus myths, but they may not be able to win against your DMs.

BB10teTU.img?h=416&w=624&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

50 Smart Ways to Slash Your Food Budget

Climate change: Trees 'most effective solution' for warming

Planet Plastic: How Big Oil and Big Soda kept a global environmental calamity a secret for decades

Woody Allen got a book deal. Staff at his new publisher have walked out in protest. -- Hachette Book Group employees took to the streets, saying, “We stand in solidarity with Ronan Farrow, Dylan Farrow, and survivors of sexual abuse.”

The era of fake writing is upon us -- AI writes to itself -- A new reason to be skeptical of posts you read online.

Chile changing: transgender student leader lends voice to renewed protests

'They're addicted to me': How immigrants keep U.S. heartland cities afloat

Super-puffs: Astronomers try to explain 'cotton candy' exoplanets

original.jpg

A Sumatran owl, photographed in Palembang City, Indonesia, on March 5, 2020 -- Sigit Prasetya / Opn Images / Barcroft Media / Getty

The Atlantic Photos of the Week: Model Vostok, Super Tuesday, Fur Rondy

'Bee-washing’ hurts bees and misleads consumers

What “crisis pregnancy centers” really do -- Low-income people are going to the centers for basic services. They don’t always get what they need.

Gretchen Carlson and the complicated truth about NDAs

Sexist ideologies may help cultivate the "dark triad" of personality traits -- People who score highly on the dark triad are vain, callous, and manipulative.

The Queen of Autofiction sales hits multiple speedbumps --

Winfrey reversed upcoming book selection after controversy

Critics of Oprah book club title put new novel on trial

Winfrey and Cummins talk “American Dirt” and lessons learned

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

FBI wants Yellowstone tourist photos to help search for kids -- BOISE, Idaho (AP) — U.S. authorities are asking Yellowstone National Park tourists to review their vacation photos to see if they can spot any clues about two missing children whose mother has been brought back to Idaho to face charges.

And another -- Missing toddler’s remains believed found in Tennessee

I don't care what's wrong with people who have contributed to the disappearance and death of these children; they're action or inaction already sets them beyond the pale. God can afford to forgive, being God and not abiding in direct contact with people like this -- Their conduct and criminality is a very long road to come back from. It demands stringent penalties that the law allows and genuine atonement (that's where the God part comes in). 

• Love 6
(edited)

200305120605-ivan-watson-coronavirus-les

New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

An expert explains how America got stuck playing catch-up on coronavirus -- America bought time with border controls, and didn’t use it. -- It doesn't help when the CDC doesn't follow standard infectious disease prevention protocols.

Insurers will cover virus tests, but check if costs apply

The CDC’s rocky effort to get Americans tested for coronavirus, explained -- The US has done 2,000 coronavirus tests. South Korea has done more than 140,000. What gives?

Facebook and Twitter are struggling to get coronavirus disinformation details from the government -- The State Department seems unusually secretive in its reports on coronavirus disinformation.

I'm Baaack! And for some people I never left. -- Here’s a list of recession indicators and where they stand, according to Bank of America

Why the Coronavirus Could Threaten the U.S. Economy Even More Than China's

Coronavirus Diaries: I’m a Luxury Travel Agent. We’re Screwed. -- I should be booking trips. Instead I wrote this article.

Roller-coaster week ends with bond yields, stocks sinking

Plunging yields force investors and Fed to rethink strategy

A Warning From a Scientist Who Saw the Coronavirus Coming -- “It’s our everyday way of going about business on the planet that seems to be driving this.”

Why new diseases keep appearing in China -- Why Covid-19 was bound to happen.

Nursing home showed few signs it prepared for virus outbreak

Virus cases top 100,000 in 90 countries as markets take dive

AP_20062656405617.jpg

Sun beds lie empty at La Caleta beach in the Canary island of Tenerife on February 27, 2020 -- Joan Mateu/AP

The eerie emptiness of cities responding to coronavirus, in photos -- Normally packed streets, museums, and venues around the world have fallen silent amid the deadly outbreak.

Are Your Hands Dry From All That Washing? -- Here’s what to do.

SXSW is canceled over coronavirus concerns -- Corporate had already canceled my trip Friday morning -- Other events canceled or postponed due to the coronavirus

Venezuela’s president urges all women to have 6 children -- During a government-imposed economic crisis.

12036348-3x2-700x467.jpg

11-year-old Syrian table tennis player Hend Zaza qualifies for Olympics

Odd Job: This guy got a million TikTok followers. Now he tells brands how to do the same. -- He’s making $10,000 a month -- So do other successful marketers.

Publisher Cancels Woody Allen’s Memoir After Employee Walkout -- Hmm.

Dozens of men who went to Ohio State are suing the university. They claim a doctor was a sexual predator. And that a sitting Ohio congressman knew about the sexual abuse.

Daylight saving time begins Sunday: 8 things to know about “springing forward” -- We push our clocks forward at 2 am Sunday. Here’s why. -- Because we like having that last nerve severed. O_o

Feel the Burn!

Dua Lipa has predicted the latest trend: canceling group-fitness classes over coronavirus concerns and getting well fit in the comfort of your own apartment/quarantine chamber. That has to be the reason why she released the “Let’s Get Physical Work Out Video” today, after already releasing a somewhat less interactive music video for her single, “Physical” in January. Whereas that video leaned heavily on the “future” aspect of her upcoming LP Future Nostalgia, this video goes for pure, uncut ’80s nostalgia, with Dua Lipa smiling and shouting words of affirmation over peppy aerobic steps, like Richard Simmons or 20 Minute Workout cable shorts. The moves are fun and easy to bop along to, with names like the Fonda, the Rump Shaker, and the Cry Baby. And because this is 2020 and not the ’80s, there’s a reminder to drink water.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Reuters Women In The World

?m=02&d=20200308&t=2&i=1500279060&w=780&

African American women of the United States Military Academy celebrate at the conclusion of commencement ceremonies in West Point, New York, May 25, 2019. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

Reuters Photos -- Sun Mar 8, 2020 -- Women of the world

NASCAR's 18-year-old sensation is poised to fill the void left by Danica Patrick, on her own terms -- There's only one allowed at a time.

'Despicable' - Women seethe over Mexican leader's wobbly response to violence

Reading Lolita in the wake of the My Dark Vanessa controversy -- My Dark Vanessa was criticized for its resemblance to Excavation. But the books are similar because they both mirror Lolita. -- That Lolita's encounters with Humbert ended in tears told me everything I wanted to know about Lolita.

Weinstein's prison sentence should reflect 'lifetime of abuse': prosecutors

juggalos.jpg

With painted faces, artists fight facial recognition tech -- Faygo for everyone!

Woman who went to hospital twice tests positive for virus

Inside Administration, Debate Raged Over What to Tell Public

Health officials shift tone on coronavirus, say elderly and sick at risk -- The remarks from Anthony Fauci signaled a change in tone from health officials.

With no shipments from China, medical mask suppliers have to choose whom to supply

How Congress is prepping in case of a coronavirus outbreak on Capitol Hill

Italy Locks Down Much of the Country’s North Over the Coronavirus

US tracking another cruise ship over coronavirus concerns

Virus death rate still uncertain as mild cases are missed

Is COVID-19 really any worse than normal seasonal flu?

Foes push back against medical marijuana bill in Kentucky

Pot entrepreneurs flocking to the Bible Belt for low taxes

Washington Examiner's top editor orders staff not to write negative stories about Fox News

The Mission to Hunt Nazis Has Become a Race Against Time -- Though we'll ignore the Nazis in our own backyard until they become a nuisance.

5e65017d42823.image.jpg?resize=1200,675

History's deadliest air raid happened in Tokyo during World War II and you've probably never heard of it

Factbox: Four on trial over shooting down of flight MH17 in Ukraine

Dutch trial over downing of flight MH17 to start without suspects

Bread waste could be repurposed for the food industry -- Hundreds of tons of bread is wasted daily. But now a team of researchers has devised a better use for these discarded carbs.

McCoy Tyner, Groundbreaking Pianist Of 20th Century Jazz, Dies At 81

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

BB10UBER.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Not His First Epidemic: Dr. Anthony Fauci Sticks to the Facts

CNN Live updates: Global markets plunge amid coronavirus fears and oil price drop

Panic grips world markets as coronavirus fear unleashes oil-price war

Putin Dumps MBS to Start a War on America’s Shale Oil Industry -- “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.” Rahm Emanuel

The Great Coronavirus Panic of 2020

The 1918 flu pandemic, a cautionary tale

Over $26 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours after massive oil price plunge

CPAC attendee tests positive for coronavirus -- The exposure occurred previously to the conference.

original.jpg

How to Misinform Yourself About the Coronavirus -- Even if you avoid the conspiracy theories, tweeting through a global emergency is messy, context-free, and disorienting. Surge of Virus Misinformation Stumps Facebook and Twitter

What You Can Do Right Now About the Coronavirus -- Preventing the spread of an outbreak requires a massive global effort, but here are steps everyone can take.

LA Marathon held with enhanced measures to protect against coronavirus

Starbucks employee diagnosed with the coronavirus in Seattle, company says

Homeless at ‘double risk’ of getting, spreading coronavirus

US Marine in Virginia tests positive for coronavirus -- That's not good.

800.jpeg

FILE - In a June 20, 2014, file photo, the Rikers Island jail complex stands in New York with the Manhattan skyline in the background. The nation’s jails and prisons are on high alert about the prospect of the new coronavirus spreading through their vast inmate populations. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File) US prisons, jails on alert for spread of coronavirus  -- That's bad, too.

The Small, Flat World of Facebook’s Anti-vaxxers -- Squelching vaccine misinformation might be easier than the platform makes it seem.

The 'opposite of addiction' theory: How community can drive recovery -- The path to sobriety isn't one that can be traveled alone, studies suggest.

Wells Fargo board members resign after scathing House report 

The World Is Experiencing a New Form of Autocracy -- Today’s authoritarians use legal measures to subvert constitutional constraints on their power -- Not a student of history? What's old is new again.

Legislature clears Gov. Kristi Noem’s revamp of riot laws -- The issue has drawn demonstrations, lawsuits and passionate testimony over the past year as the Republican-dominated Legislature sought to tighten the state’s laws on riot and incitement to riot ahead of expected construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.

US sending military police to two border crossings

As coal pollution declines, crops begin to flourish -- Reducing our dependence on coal comes with some unexpected agricultural benefits, two recent studies find.

Women fill streets of world’s cities with call for justice

Mexican women paint, march to protest gender violence

D2GdU6fXcAAmBAm.jpg

'Here's a picture of me at work' Tayla Harris stood up to vile trolls and became a symbol of defiance

Sources: Angels fire visiting clubhouse manager for aiding opposing pitchers -- Whoops! Juicing the balls. Who's red-headed brother-in-law are you?

What If the Court Saw Other Rights as Generously as Gun Rights? -- Both gun-rights advocates and educational equity activists use similar legal strategies. Why does the Supreme Court treat them so differently?

A Secret Accord With the Taliban: When and How the U.S. Would Leave Afghanistan -- Leaving the doors open for plunder. You're welcome.

A home library can have a powerful effect on children -- A new study finds that simply growing up in a home with enough books increases adult literacy and math prowess.

Elfstedentocht: The outdoor skating race that brings the Netherlands to a standstill -- Bill Whitaker reports on one of the Netherlands' greatest traditions that may never happen again, the Elfstedentocht, a 125-mile skating marathon across frozen canals through 11 cities.

7Q566UFDNVCN7A6B3A4VJ3BQDI.jpg

In Bergman's 1957 film The Seventh Seal, set in Sweden during the Black Death, tells of the journey of a medieval knight (Max von Sydow) and a game of chess he plays with the personification of Death (Bengt Ekerot), who has come to take his life

Max von Sydow, Swedish actor whose name was virtually synonymous with the films of Ingmar Bergman, has died.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

Fucking rabbits are eating all my muscari. I have a large flower bed running along the sidewalk between our house and the lawn and normally right now it would be filled with tiny blue flowers. All I have is little green stumps. 😭

So, how are you all handling the coronavirus scare?

We've been very (self) restricted since the end of February, both by doctor's strong advice and my (very reluctant) compliance.  We're all of that certain age they talk so much about and have underlying health conditions.

We've made our necessary grocery runs, etc., usually as early as possible and now that infections in our area seem to be doubling daily we're even more wary.  I haven't been into San Francisco for the past 12 days - (that's driving me mildly crazy, not being in the city) but I think it's all for the best right now.  

One of the many things I've become acutely aware of is how often we go out on errands, to pick up one thing or another, and how often we run out.  I'm not a buy in bulk person but I'm becoming one, at least in the short term.

Our county health officials are banning gatherings over 50, advising against even going to the movies, some schools have closed, some libraries.  In San Francisco all government spaces like the Symphony Hall, the Ballet, etc. are shut down until further notice and I expect the museums to be next.  Public transportation, well, people are being advised against unnecessary travel and as many companies as can are working from home.

But there are so many people who can't work from home, so many low wage employees who have no sick time to take, who live paycheck to paycheck - hell, that's true for a lot more people than just low income anymore - and the homeless - how the hell are they supposed to follow the official guidelines??

It's not a nightmare scenario, not yet and I fervently hope it won't be, but it is, to say the least, sobering.

I hope you and yours are all well.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, boes said:

We've been very (self) restricted since the end of February, both by doctor's strong advice and my (very reluctant) compliance.  We're all of that certain age they talk so much about and have underlying health conditions.

We've made our necessary grocery runs, etc., usually as early as possible and now that infections in our area seem to be doubling daily we're even more wary.  I haven't been into San Francisco for the past 12 days - (that's driving me mildly crazy, not being in the city) but I think it's all for the best right now.  

One of the many things I've become acutely aware of is how often we go out on errands, to pick up one thing or another, and how often we run out.  I'm not a buy in bulk person but I'm becoming one, at least in the short term.

Our county health officials are banning gatherings over 50, advising against even going to the movies, some schools have closed, some libraries.  In San Francisco all government spaces like the Symphony Hall, the Ballet, etc. are shut down until further notice and I expect the museums to be next.  Public transportation, well, people are being advised against unnecessary travel and as many companies as can are working from home.

But there are so many people who can't work from home, so many low wage employees who have no sick time to take, who live paycheck to paycheck - hell, that's true for a lot more people than just low income anymore - and the homeless - how the hell are they supposed to follow the official guidelines??

It's not a nightmare scenario, not yet and I fervently hope it won't be, but it is, to say the least, sobering.

We are in a city with just a few people infected.  And yet, today there was a huge surge of people buying all of the toilet paper at Costco.  Even my hubby has decided we need canned goods of food, just in case.  Food I am sure I would never eat, even if there was no other food.  So he stocked up at Costco on such things as Spam, canned chicken and canned chili. 😮

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, boes said:

I'm one of those people that the more I know, the more I try to prepare for the next shoe to drop. My trip to SXSW was cancelled. I ran in the LA Marathon on Sunday. I've been drinking more elderberry tea. <meh> It's hard to avoid the office. Corporate is in constant flux how to respond to the health crisis. 

Mr. Stunt went full prepper while on vacation, sending Thing2 to buy supplies at Costco, ordering on Amazon and wholesale for his office. He's on DEFCON 3.

His future projects are being hit hard. Eight projects ready for release have been held back 6 - 11 months, while others are being canceled until 2022. The majority of his employees have to be in the office, so a more stringent cleaning process in in effect. Mr. Stunt created a sick pay account for anyone that gets ill from coronavirus/quarantined. 

In my radio division, cleaning crews are doing a full disinfection daily, and about a third of my employees are home-based for the duration, Our insurance covers virus testing, and we extended sick pay for anyone with coronavirus and/or quarantined. Several promotions are being cancelled by their promoters, hoping for next year. 

Thing2 is taking his classes online and hiding out at home with us. He had been accepted to join the Peace Corps after graduation, but was notified they are suspending all programs for six months. He's disappointed his senior year is ending with a whimper. Thing2 is doing lab research at school and can't avoid going to campus. My grandmother and Aunt Trinket moved to my brother's home: there's flu at their retirement center and they left mid-February as a precaution. Bea and Stunt's in Hawaii are enjoying themselves. The Stunt family in LA is fine. My parents are still at the orchard. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, boes said:

It's like a constant drumbeat now, isn't it?

The university and the college have stepped up the frequency of the information statements, and we've been required for a while to tell students to go home if they have anything remotely like a cold or flu. All kinds of adjustments to deadlines and submissions of material are updated nearly daily. I drive rather than using public transportation, and I only teach "live" one day a week, but I've found myself getting more and more wary when I go in. Because all postsecondary institutions have epic numbers of international students [cash grab], there are even more statements issued.

So far TO has cancelled very little compared to other cities--provincial government is mostly fretting about the impact on economy...

The toilet paper thing I don't understand at all, and I was reading that in the UK people are boycotting Chinese restaurants--I hate the feral tendency for people to grab any opportunity for racist behaviour. I haven't stockpiled anything because I can mostly shop right in the neighbourhood.

I hope we're all fine as this thing moves through, as it surely must.

• Love 8

There is a new disquiet in the country. The constant, low-level electrical hum of anxiety grows a little louder -- It reminds me of the upheaval in the country days after 9/11. 

Past the anger and racist displays, beyond warmongering political partisans battling over the hearts and minds and bread and circuses of pubic opinion … We had not experienced an attack from a foreign entity since Pearl Harbor, we did the attacking in foreign countries. 9/11 proved that we were vulnerable to a low-tech/high impact attack by a handful of zealots determined to kill and die for their beliefs. The country has been in disruption, buried in lies and misinformation, with paroxysms of naked hatred, racism and war violence that cannot fill the fear and panic of losing our safe haven.

And now this … a microscopic enemy we're uncertain how to fight except by barricading our doors with flats of toilet paper. If only people reacted to flu season with the same level of precaution and preparation, fewer would get sick.

The liquor stores are jammed, and why not? Alcohol is a disinfectant, so Cupid's gonna' live forever.

• Love 6

Everyone is coping as best they can. I'm pretty much a recluse anyway so it's not affecting me much. My husband manages a model rail road shop and he just goes to work. He has been taking quite a few days off to work on my dad's house as we are getting ready to sell it. My son has not been seeing his fiance at all because he has to take public transport to get there and she has a compromised immune system. My dad's care facility is in lockdown. They had a couple cases of the flu in Jan. so they were already being highly vigilant about hygiene. Wgole thing sucks. I don't even want to think about our investments.

• Love 7

Back to my little tin drumbeat:

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg

How canceled events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart -- This is how we all help slow the spread of coronavirus.

The psychology behind why toilet paper, of all things, is the latest coronavirus panic buy

If coronavirus spreads within the US, here's how daily life might change

Brands like Clorox, Netflix, and Campbell are benefiting from the coronavirus. Most companies aren’t. -- People are stocking up but staying at home more, and the coronavirus is gearing up to be bad for business.

Coronavirus’s threat to the global economy and what to do about it -- Financial markets are sending very alarming signals.

Why the Outlook for the Economy Just Got Worse

Associated Press Feature -- Understanding the Outbreak -- A collection of stories explaining the new coronavirus and what it means to you.

US immigration policy could cause a coronavirus disaster in migrant border camps -- The administration’s policies have left thousands of migrants vulnerable at the border. Now they’re bracing for the spread of coronavirus.

Hundreds in Washington DC asked to quarantine after exposure in church

Gov. Cuomo declares a state of emergency in New York as coronavirus cases rise -- The number of confirmed cases rose from 44 to 76 overnight.

How does the new coronavirus spread? These new studies offer clues. -- They also show why Covid-19 might be harder to contain than SARS.

Commuting in the time of coronavirus in the nation's largest subway system

200304164104-matt-gaetz-tweet-coronaviru

Matt Gaetz wearing the gas mask ahead of appropriations vote.

5 congressmen -- including administration future chief of staff and lawmaker who shook President's hand -- to self-quarantine after CPAC

Photos show why hand sanitizer doesn't work as well as soap and water to remove germs

How J. Edgar Hoover Used the Power of Libraries for Evil -- Tracking Adversaries, Hiding Evidence, and Other No Good Dirty Deeds

?m=02&d=20200309&t=2&i=1500958009&w=780&

Who else cleans up after a strike? Reuters Photos Tue Mar 10, 2020 -- A day without women: Strikes across Latin America

What we get wrong about misogyny -- Sexism and misogyny are not the same and the difference matters.

The future of feminism -- Five feminists explain where the movement needs to go next.

‘Light Is My New Drug’ -- The actually convincing science of light therapy.

Ex-Michigan football player suing school over alleged abuse

Juul Labs sought to court Attorney Generals as teen vaping surged

The preventable death of an asylum seeker in a solitary cell

Lawmakers pass bill allowing Confederate monument removals

A Komodo dragon with no male partner gave birth to three hatchlings by parthenogenesis

190504185837-13-kentucky-derby-2019-exla

Federal prosecutors say Maximum Security, the colt disqualified at the 2019 Kentucky Derby, received performance-enhancing drugs as part of an illegal scheme.

Trainer of champion horse Maximum Security among 27 people indicted in horse-racing doping scheme -- Finally.

Throw Out Your Bra, Already -- An intimate look at our worst intimates.

The idea that successful people can teach their secrets isn’t new. Now MasterClass is selling it for $180. -- Can a video of Serena Williams teach you tennis? Probably not.

Master, president, god? On the trail of Peru's mysterious new political power broker -- I'll take Banana Republic Authoritarians for $300.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, boes said:

Our shelves are empty. I went to Costco yesterday and there was no tp, among other things. Proudly my husband is going to have to abscond with a roll a day from work. There's an eerie quiet in all the stores. I went to four different places last week looking for hand sanitizer and there was none. The crappy thing is that sometimes it takes months for things to get replenished here on an island. My trip is coming up at the end of April and I was already anxious. I don't have trip insurance as it didn't serve me well the last time I purchased it. I read in one of @Cupid Stunt's articles that the Louvre was closed. I've been but my husband has not. I have a fear that I will be in Paris and nothing will be open, but I'm more scared of being on several flights. I really hope this all levels out soon. Best to all you preverts!

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

Our shelves are empty. I went to Costco yesterday and there was no tp, among other things. Proudly my husband is going to have to abscond with a roll a day from work. There's an eerie quiet in all the stores. I went to four different places last week looking for hand sanitizer and there was none. The crappy thing is that sometimes it takes months for things to get replenished here on an island. My trip is coming up at the end of April and I was already anxious. I don't have trip insurance as it didn't serve me well the last time I purchased it. I read in one of @Cupid Stunt's articles that the Louvre was closed. I've been but my husband has not. I have a fear that I will be in Paris and nothing will be open, but I'm more scared of being on several flights. I really hope this all levels out soon. Best to all you preverts!

This worries me. Is there any way you can postpone this trip? And kudos on your DH for keeping you guys stocked up.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

Many of the museums, churches and famous sites have websites with availability notifications and calendars. If that's no help, you can contact a travel agent that specializes in European travel for information.

Peaches makes a good point about canceling your trip. Or perhaps you can change your trip and avoid Europe altogether. Mr. Stunt and I had a wonderful vacation in Iceland and Greenland.

You can make your own hand sanitizer with 70% isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera gel.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Many of the museums, churches and famous sites have websites with availability notifications and calendars. If that's no help, you can contact a travel agent that specializes in European travel for information.

Peaches makes a good point about canceling your trip. Or perhaps you can change your trip and avoid Europe altogether. Mr. Stunt and I had a wonderful vacation in Iceland and Greenland.

You can make your own hand sanitizer with 70% isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera gel.

18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been reading that you're better off with 99% alcohol.

That was my plan, thank you! Hopefully I'll be able to get aloe vera gel now. My first stop is Iceland to see the fam. 

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2020/03/06/hotel_in_reykjavik_converted_into_quarantine/ Of course they are prepared.

I don't think I have much hope of postponing unless we're willing to lose 5k in travel expenses. We're not sure what we're going to do yet. Right now we are planning as usual.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been reading that you're better off with 99% alcohol.

The only time I've seen 99% isopropyl alcohol used is in tech grade scientific disinfection, stainless surface, commercial and mechanical degreasing purposes. I am aware that some people use 99% as an antiseptic, but labels caution when in use to wear gloves, and wash immediately if exposed to skin. 

If you want to go for broke there's always Everclear 151 grain (ethyl) alcohol.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

The only time I've seen 99% isopropyl alcohol used is in tech grade scientific disinfection, stainless surface, commercial and mechanical degreasing purposes. I am aware that some people use 99% as an antiseptic, but labels caution when in use to wear gloves, and wash immediately if exposed to skin. 

I saw it on the CDC website but it does sound a tad harsh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Hello from the East Coast - I'm in Maryland.  Smack in the middle between Baltimore and Washington, DC.  I am an account rep and travel all day long.........I'm 57  years old and in good health, but my husband is 62 and has been an insulin dependent diabetic for 35 years.  He is healthy, but is a prime candidate for "social distancing", something he's done this time of year anyway, because getting the regular flu is a pain in the ass for him.  I fluctuate between being extremely angry (and I don't want to say too much about why because, well, politics) and scared out of my wits.  I am afraid it will be me who brings this thing into our home and harm my husband, I'm afraid people are so scared they're buying all the food and I won't have anything, I'm irrationally scared about that!  I'm afraid that even though I am taking precautions, no one around me will take the same ones, so I feel doomed.  I worry about people who don't have the resources to ride this thing out or have healthcare like I have or a decent place to work who will pay them if they have to quarantine.  I literally had a meltdown on Saturday - and since it's rare for me to feel that way, it was a little scary. 

For two weekends in a row, I've been unable to purchase toilet bowl cleaner.  I've been unable to buy anything to clean my bathrooms...and I don't know about you, but I like to use the kind of bathroom cleaner that kills germs!  The shelves are B-A-R-E.  Not being able to buy toilet bowl cleaner this past Saturday sent me into a spiral of short term depression.  Do people think that hoarding eleventy billion bottles of toilet bowl cleaner is going to protect them from this thing?  Could they at least leave some for you and me?

My dad was a psychiatrist so I tend analyze everything I'm feeling.  I finally figured it all out at midnight on Saturday evening, after I'd been in a deep bath, soaking for about, I don't know, an hour?  I got out of the tub, made lists of food to eat for 2 1/2 weeks, woke up at 5:00 a.m. on Sunday and went full on doomsday prepper!  I bought stuff I don't usually buy, like Rice A Roni, stuff that doesn't take anything but water to make.  I bought cans of soup, I have 10 cans of tuna and lots of beans and pasta and enchilada sauce, and lots of frozen vegetables.  I spent Sunday afternoon making spaghetti sauce, which I froze, putting chicken breasts in marinade and vacuum sealing them to go in the freezer.   I moved up my Chewy order, so my two cats could have cat litter.  I ordered toilet paper and paper towels from Amazon because I couldn't get them at Target or Wegmans, where I grocery shop.  On Monday, I went to the liquor store and bought more Tito's, Liquor 43, some Bailey's for my husband (he likes it in his coffee) and Coronas.  Can I just say it is damn hard work to prep for end of days?  I was exhausted!

I am being funny as I write this, because if I don't make light of it, my head will explode at some of the ineptness I am seeing and reading about.  Thank God, literally, Maryland has a decent Governor, that's all I'm going to say.

As we know more, as we are able to test more, I think we will be able to ride this thing out.  We'll get through this.  For me, not knowing what's really happening is worst of all.

P.S.  And my hands are so dry from washing them all the time and using hand sanitizer every where I go! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Mark Twain supposedly once said that he wanted to be in Pittsburgh when the world ends because everything comes to Pittsburgh 10 years late.  Too true.  There doesn't seem to be the same level of anxiety here, which is strange considering NY is in a state of emergency.  The only shortages I've noticed in the stores are antibacterial soap (which I don't use) and disinfecting wipes.  My sister works at the university's dental school, and they are down to their last two boxes of masks.  They were told to use them conservatively, but they still have to change them after each patient.  I'm planning to go to Costco in the next few days, so I'm going to check the TP situation there.  (Though I never buy TP there, since I don't have an airplane hangar where I could store it.)  

My obsessive compulsive disorder comes in handy during times like these.  I scoff at the 20-second recommendations for hand washing.  I sing Happy Birthday 12 times, and then I count to 98 (1 one thousand 2 one thousand 3...).  I wash my hands before I eat and after I eat.  I wash my hands after I wash my hands.

While things aren't bad here yet, I have been worried about all of you, especially you Left Coasters.  I've been especially worried about your dad, peaches.  Plus, I have a lot of family in Italy.  I subscribe to RAI Italia, and the TV shows there have been surreal.  No studio audiences, people standing a few feet from each other.  

@lovemesomejoolery, I feel the same frustration and anger for the same reasons we're not allowed to talk about.  And may I suggest white vinegar to clean your toilet bowl?  White vinegar and baking soda are my go-to DIY cleaners.

Elbow boops to you all.  Aww, fuck it.  XOXOXOXOXOXXO! 

Edited by Snaporaz
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Hello from the East Coast - I'm in Maryland.  Smack in the middle between Baltimore and Washington, DC.  I am an account rep and travel all day long.........I'm 57  years old and in good health, but my husband is 62 and has been an insulin dependent diabetic for 35 years.  He is healthy, but is a prime candidate for "social distancing", something he's done this time of year anyway, because getting the regular flu is a pain in the ass for him.  I fluctuate between being extremely angry (and I don't want to say too much about why because, well, politics) and scared out of my wits.  I am afraid it will be me who brings this thing into our home and harm my husband, I'm afraid people are so scared they're buying all the food and I won't have anything, I'm irrationally scared about that!  I'm afraid that even though I am taking precautions, no one around me will take the same ones, so I feel doomed.  I worry about people who don't have the resources to ride this thing out or have healthcare like I have or a decent place to work who will pay them if they have to quarantine.  I literally had a meltdown on Saturday - and since it's rare for me to feel that way, it was a little scary. 

For two weekends in a row, I've been unable to purchase toilet bowl cleaner.  I've been unable to buy anything to clean my bathrooms...and I don't know about you, but I like to use the kind of bathroom cleaner that kills germs!  The shelves are B-A-R-E.  Not being able to buy toilet bowl cleaner this past Saturday sent me into a spiral of short term depression.  Do people think that hoarding eleventy billion bottles of toilet bowl cleaner is going to protect them from this thing?  Could they at least leave some for you and me?

My dad was a psychiatrist so I tend analyze everything I'm feeling.  I finally figured it all out at midnight on Saturday evening, after I'd been in a deep bath, soaking for about, I don't know, an hour?  I got out of the tub, made lists of food to eat for 2 1/2 weeks, woke up at 5:00 a.m. on Sunday and went full on doomsday prepper!  I bought stuff I don't usually buy, like Rice A Roni, stuff that doesn't take anything but water to make.  I bought cans of soup, I have 10 cans of tuna and lots of beans and pasta and enchilada sauce, and lots of frozen vegetables.  I spent Sunday afternoon making spaghetti sauce, which I froze, putting chicken breasts in marinade and vacuum sealing them to go in the freezer.   I moved up my Chewy order, so my two cats could have cat litter.  I ordered toilet paper and paper towels from Amazon because I couldn't get them at Target or Wegmans, where I grocery shop.  On Monday, I went to the liquor store and bought more Tito's, Liquor 43, some Bailey's for my husband (he likes it in his coffee) and Coronas.  Can I just say it is damn hard work to prep for end of days?  I was exhausted!

I am being funny as I write this, because if I don't make light of it, my head will explode at some of the ineptness I am seeing and reading about.  Thank God, literally, Maryland has a decent Governor, that's all I'm going to say.

As we know more, as we are able to test more, I think we will be able to ride this thing out.  We'll get through this.  For me, not knowing what's really happening is worst of all.

P.S.  And my hands are so dry from washing them all the time and using hand sanitizer every where I go! 

I think I understand everything you're saying.  Today when we went shopping - early morning - the dispenser outside Trader Joe's with the antiseptic wipes was gone and I thought they'd probably run out of them.  Nope, leave to one or some of our fair citizens to have stolen the entire thing, dispenser and all.  Who does shit like that?

And here, people are stockpiling water.  We all keep some water around because of earthquake preparedness, but what on earth do we need to stockpile WATER for?  It's not water born, the water is working....oh well....

But then we we got home, one of our neighbors across the street came over to tell us that from now on, if we need anything from the store, she'll pick it when she goes.  You go from the crazy to the crazy nice.

And what you (didn't) say about what we don't talk about, I get it.  Oh yeah I get it.  

Stay safe and don't let the bastids get you down.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Mark Twain supposedly once said that he wanted to be in Pittsburgh when the world ends because everything comes to Pittsburgh 10 years late.  Too true.  There doesn't seem to be the same level of anxiety here, which is strange considering NY is in a state of emergency.  The only shortages I've noticed in the stores are antibacterial soap (which I don't use) and disinfecting wipes.  My sister works at the university's dental school, and they are down to their last two boxes of masks.  They were told to use them conservatively, but they still have to change them after each patient.  I'm planning to go to Costco in the next few days, so I'm going to check the TP situation there.  (Though I never buy TP there, since I don't have an airplane hangar where I could store it.)  

My obsessive compulsive disorder comes in handy during times like these.  I scoff at the 20-second recommendations for hand washing.  I sing Happy Birthday 12 times, and then I count to 98 (1 one thousand 2 one thousand 3...).  I wash my hands before I eat and after I eat.  I wash my hands after I wash my hands.

While things aren't bad here yet, I have been worried about all of you, especially you Left Coasters.  I've been especially worried about your dad, peaches.  Plus, I have a lot of family in Italy.  I subscribe to RAI Italia, and the TV shows there have been surreal.  No studio audiences, people standing a few feet from each other.  

@lovemesomejoolery, I feel the same frustration and anger for the same reasons we're not allowed to talk about.  And may I suggest white vinegar to clean your toilet bowl?  White vinegar and baking soda are my go-to DIY cleaners.

Elbow boops to you all.  Aww, fuck it.  XOXOXOXOXOXXO! 

Thanks for that tip about white vinegar and baking soda!  I am going to try it out.  For the time being, I used regular Lysol foaming bathroom cleaner.

You know what I realized about myself after this past weekend of self imposed terror and doomsday prepping?  That I really have so much to be thankful for and that there are a lot of things I take for granted, like toilet bowl cleaner.

We are all one community of caring people here.  I love that!

• Love 6