Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: A Matter of Time

MarkHB

Well that was a depressing episode.

Rip Dave, you will be missed. Seriously seeing hearing Vince demand Dave come back then seeing him beg his dead body to come back was so sad.

Audrey way to make Duke do your dirty work. She really has a way of kicking him when he's down or not in the right state of mind.

Listening to Duke say he couldn't beat his destiny was so sad. He's always been the one that said you could beat your destiny. If they make it where he couldn't beat his destiny and kill him that will probably be one of the worst messages a show could send; but after tonight's episode I'm pretty sure Duke will be the one to sacrifice himself for Haven. I thought tonight's episode made it pretty clear that he was just there out of duty to Haven and the people he troubled.

• Love 4

How many more episodes until we are all put out of our misery (apologies to anyone who is enjoying 5b)? In my broken record style, I will repeat - for me, Dave, Vince and Duke are the 3 best characters in Haven. Well, one down, one to go.

Dave gave his all. Duke was forced to hurt his psyche to save Haven. Vince lost his brother. But, oh boy, Audrey and Nathan are back together

At this point, I truly believe that Audrey and Nathan deserve each other. They are both weak, obsessed and self-absorbed. If I didn't think so little of the writers at this point, I would hope that they would both die at the end - a fitting ending to their "true love". Spend eternity together and leave whatever good people are left in Haven to get on with their lives.

I did like the Hello Dave message from Croatoan - I could hear the voice of Hal, the computer

• Love 6

For a show with lots of suspense, I didn't find it particularly suspenseful.

I did like Nathan giving William the ring to get out of the Void. I don't really remember if his spin on Mara using William was true, but I thought Colin Ferguson sold it, while remaining snarky to the end.

If Audrey and Nathan showed the least bit sympathy for what Duke's gone through, I would be okay with it. But from them not even trying to tell Duke it wasn't his fault at the beginning of the season (he was Mara's tool, after all - just like Nathan claims William to be), then Audrey not acknowledging she's asking Duke to kill the girl because she's the one who screwed it up*, and then Nathan handwaving Duke's distress with "eh, you got over it then, you'll be fine now" (or words to that effect), I found myself really disliking them this season even more than I had before with all their screw the town, we've got true love BS. 

*I expected her to take one last go at the girl - since she's supposedly the troubled whisperer. I did not expect her to go to "kill her" quite that quickly.

One quibble - IIRC - to get to the cave in the first place, Nathan had to go pretty far away from the thinny. Then Duke opens it (in pretty much the same location) and it's right outside the cave. I may not have kept track of the landscape of the Void and Haven, but that seemed off to me.

It sure feels like it's limping to the end, even though they seem to be pulling all of the elements together.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 7

Agreed on Nathan and Audrey.  It's interesting that the two most Lifetime movie looking characters are the most boring & most unlikeable on this show.  Although I was ready for whiny Hailie to die already.   So I guess I'm not too nice either.  Or maybe it's that I'm bored with this arc.  

It only took about 4 hours to cover Gone with the Wind and 3 1/2 for War and Peace.   So why can't they resolve Croatoan more quickly?   I hate to say it, because there's a lot about the show I do/did like, but I wish they'd given them a more abbreviated last "season" and not tried so hard to screw over the actors out of a 6th season contract.  Because 13+ is way too much.   Oh, well - 4 to go - I've come this far so I must finish it.     

• Love 2

My problem is that we are so close to the end, that I want to know how it resolves. I really do.

I was sad about the loss of Dave. At least they didn't kick his body to the curb and ignore him, like they do with every other dead person in Haven. I now think Dwight dies too. If Dwight dies to save Nathan at Audrey's request, this show will have eclipsed Dexter in it's total last season suckage.

I have gone over Audrey's actions and I can find no way to excuse them. She has always been the one to talk the Troubled down and this time she was all, "Just murder her already Duke, because NATHAN."  Fuck her. I actually wasn't bothered by Nathan in his scenes with William, although they were totally predictable. But stick him back with Audrey and I wanted him to die some painful death.

It does seem that they are heading for a noble sacrifice by Duke and I am going to hate that with everything. Duke "accepting his fate" this episode sucked. Totally sucked. At least they acknowledged that Audrey had used him before. But honestly, fuck her. Fuck her. 

My fantasy ending at this point is a time reset, with us going back to Audrey arriving in town only this time it's the real Audrey Parker (although poor Brad...wait, why do I care more for Brad than I do Nathan?) while BadWigRobotMara looks on. If that happens though, the only person who will remember the past few years will be Duke and he will suddenly be the guardian of Haven and have to keep things in check. Or something super shitty like that.

• Love 6

I agree that Duke is being set up as the sacrifice. Between the piling on of guilt for troubling the town, which was NOT his fault, and him resigning himself to his 'destiny' it seems inevitable. RIP Dave .

• Love 2

This episode was actually watcheable because at least something happened unlike last week.

Haven has never been very good at nuance, so I guess we're supposed to be rooting for Audrey and Nathan, but I can't. Audrey couldn't have cared less for Hayley, so far this season alone she has proposed using two Troubled people to free Nathan. Is she still even a Havensaver? Can't see the difference between her and Mara at the moment.  I really hope there will be some explanation or consequences for this selfish destructive behaviour, though I doubt it.

Don't know if it was budget stuff, but the Void was a big dissapointment. It went from bad CGI clouds to a forest. Where was the terror William was so afraid of? Croatoan must have some minions right?

Didn't think they'd actually kill off Dave like that, at least he went down fighting. I wonder if Vince's power/trouble will ever be revealed.

Edited by BlueJay81

Agreed on Nathan and Audrey.  It's interesting that the two most Lifetime movie looking characters are the most boring & most unlikeable on this show.  Although I was ready for whiny Hailie to die already.   So I guess I'm not too nice either.  Or maybe it's that I'm bored with this arc.  

I disliiked Hailie too - they made the character completely selfish and unlikable - though somewhat pitiable at the end. I almost thought they'd redeem her a little by having her be the savior of Haven, but they chose not to.  I guess Duke needed more angst as he builds up to the sacrifice.

I've loved this show all along, but I never, ever, liked the Nathan/Audrey pairing. It wasn't as bad at first, but when their romance actively interfered with the safety of others in Haven, I started hating the pairing.

Duke was always the most interesting character, and EB had the best chemistry with the other actors, in my opinion. 

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

Best of Haven: Farmer

Worst of Haven: Whatever the hell this was. Not because it was written or acted so poorly. Not because there haven't been more cringeworthy eps. Nope, just because they *tried* to do Farmer again. And they did a piss-poor job of it.

Today's lesson: Don't let fan fiction writers take over your show.

Today's second lesson: What a pity Haven was cancelled after Season 3. It showed such promise.

Today's third lesson: Nathan and Audrey must be together at all costs.

Today's fourth lesson: Oh, you murdered gadzillions of people and have showed absolutely no regret or growth? Well, let's just send you back to the civilization that threw you out because my best friend killed a girl so I could get back to my one twu wuv.

• Love 4

How many more episodes until we are all put out of our misery (apologies to anyone who is enjoying 5b)? In my broken record style, I will repeat - for me, Dave, Vince and Duke are the 3 best characters in Haven. Well, one down, one to go.

Dave gave his all. Duke was forced to hurt his psyche to save Haven. Vince lost his brother. But, oh boy, Audrey and Nathan are back together

At this point, I truly believe that Audrey and Nathan deserve each other. They are both weak, obsessed and self-absorbed. If I didn't think so little of the writers at this point, I would hope that they would both die at the end - a fitting ending to their "true love". Spend eternity together and leave whatever good people are left in Haven to get on with their lives.

I did like the Hello Dave message from Croatoan - I could hear the voice of Hal, the computer

Tell me about it. I never thought it possible to hate them as much as I do but I really, really hate Audrey and Nathan. I have no idea what happened but they (especially Audrey) have become so selfish and self-centered. 

I can't wait for this show to end and I'll say this: if Duke dies and those two live, I will never re-watch any of this show ever again.

• Love 2

That last scene between Audreey, Nathan and Duke where Audrey and Nathan are walking away for him arm and arm proved to me that he has nothing and nobody to hang on to. I mean he just killed someone and not just any someone someone he knew when they were a kid. Audrey claims to know him so well and yet she doesn't know the damage killing someone does to his psyche.

I'm sorry I'm so nagitive it's just wow, how blind can they be?

• Love 4

I'm very disappointed in the change of Audrey's character. Isn't she supposed to be the trouble whisperer? Couldn't she talk that girl into phasing one more time off that fence? How did she jump to kill her so fast? I am currently hate watching at this point. And if Duke dies....

Edited by M42
  • Love 5
Audrey couldn't have cared less for Hayley, so far this season alone she has proposed using two Troubled people to free Nathan.

But it wasn't just about Nathan. Duke was already on his way back to town even before he got Nathan's letter from the past because he had a vision showing that if Nathan didn't come back from the void, everyone in town would die and the town would be destroyed. Nathan was going after the controller they'd need to be able to end the Troubles for good. Now Nathan's stuck in the void with the controller, so Duke's traumatic vision is about to come true, and Duke may have the only way of getting Nathan out of the void, so why is he suddenly dithering? He shouldn't have needed Audrey to ask him. He should have figured out the solution for himself. He's the one who experienced the horror of the potential future Haven, and he came back to prevent that future, then was balking about doing what needed to be done to prevent that future. And then even after he did it, he had to stand there and make speeches about his destiny instead of opening the portal.

Though I guess it turned out that he was buying Nathan time to Dr. Phil William and turn him around because he wouldn't have been able to get to the portal without help. I liked the scenes between William and Nathan, which go to show that if you put two characters with a lot of conflict between them in a room together, interesting stuff happens. I just hope that Nathan giving William that ring really was the right thing to do and won't come back to bite him in the ass.

And I got a little teary-eyed when Dave died. I figured one of the Teagues probably wouldn't make it through the series, but that got to me.

• Love 4

Duke may have the only way of getting Nathan out of the void, so why is he suddenly dithering? He shouldn't have needed Audrey to ask him. He should have figured out the solution for himself. He's the one who experienced the horror of the potential future Haven, and he came back to prevent that future, then was balking about doing what needed to be done to prevent that future. And then even after he did it, he had to stand there and make speeches about his destiny instead of opening the portal.

Uhm...is this really an argument that Duke should have immediately been all-in on killing a young girl? And the hesitation he had was "dithering"? First of all, that's kind of gross, to expect Duke to be a killing machine with no feelings of his own. 

Secondly, that's not Duke's character at all. Duke has always been reluctant to use his Trouble and he was never all, "Yep, lemme jes kill'em. That's the bestest and easiest solution. Time for some neck crackin'." Nathan has no qualms about threatening to kill someone to save Audrey. He does it on the regular. Duke wants to find a way without killing someone, the same way Audrey used to be before she got infected by Nathan's sperm of lost IQ points.

Yeah...No. Can't agree here that Duke's "dithering" and "balking" were in any way out of place.

I can agree that the constant speeches of trauma and exposition are annoying, but that's never been exclusive to Duke.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 5

Yeah if Duke dies this show won't be getting a rewatch from me. Okay maybe EB's parts.

I haven't watched this yet (or last week's, for that matter) but I have to chime in that I would totally buy a Good Parts version of Haven that features only EB's scenes. He's the only reason I've stuck with this mess anyway.

• Love 3

What a load of hooey. I can't wait for this shit to end. At this point I'd be happy if Audrey and Nathan both died in the finale, but I suppose that's too much to ask.

Sorry for all the negativity. I feel like I need to see it through since I've come this far, but honestly I should have quit watching after season 3.

• Love 7

I just caught this ep On Demand. I figured Thanksgiving, it wouldn't be on. You can really tell how much Sci Fy backs this show by it airing on a holiday when probably very few people watched.

The Audrey we have now is nothing like the Audrey we first met. What happened to that Audrey, who was tough and caring & not wrapped up in herself? I used to love this show & now it just makes me sad. Now she's this timid little mouse who stands back & lets everyone else do the work while she frets about poor Nathan. Blech.

Dave's death hasn't even hit me because I can't even take it seriously or even believe it - this show pales in comparison to the show it was for the 1st 3 seasons. I'm finding it hard to give a shit. Maybe I'm also in denial because I don't want to believe Dave is gone. He and Vince were 2 of my favorite characters.

I do hope Vince's trouble is finally revealed. Also, I wonder if William, now that he can travel, maybe return to Haven and help out?

So they left whatshername stuck in the fence? And the doctor is lying dead on the floor? Haven must be getting pretty ripe with all those corpses no one bothers to respectfully bury.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 3

Well then.

Soo..... Dave is dead and Duke is once again was forced to do something reprehensible because "there was no other choice", but all is totally cool because Nathan and Audrey are together again! Yippee skippy! And that's all that matters, right?

Pardon me while I vomit.

It definitely feels like they're gearing up for the end - unfortunately, it also shows that 99% of 5b was nothing but filler. This show has veered so far from where it started that it's basically unrecognizable.

Best moment: Duke's heartfelt conversation with Hailie about destiny, choice, and trying to make amends. Even though it was simply more of the same dialogue that Duke's had for years now, it brought home just how often Duke's been in such horrible situations, and how many impossible choices he's had to make. Also appreciated that they referenced The Farmer, but agree that, more than anything, it just reminded me how much better that was from this.

Runner-up for best moment: William taunting Nathan, I mean Nate. I always love seeing Colin Ferguson. Take your magic ring and go back to Narnia, William! Get away from this show while you can!

Worst: Hands down, Audrey telling to Duke to kill Hailie. What happened to the kind-hearted Audrey who wanted to save every single person, who knew that all lives mattered? Watching her trying to convince Duke to murder a helpless, injured woman with the exact same tone one would use to convince someone to pick up her dry-cleaning was disgusting. I'm actively wishing for her death at this point. Great job, Show.

Have to admit, I haven't cared about the Teagues in many seasons, but Vince's reaction to his brother's death was heart-breaking. Will anyone (besides the Terrible Two) be left standing by series' end? And more importantly, will any of us still care?

• Love 3

I really don't care if Audrey and Nathan are still standing at the end of this. I'm having a Haven rewatch before the series finale and I don't know if the Audrey we have now is influencing my thoughts of the Audrey than but she kinda annoys me.

And I am liking Jordan a little more this time around.

• Love 3

I actually always kind of liked Jordan. Or should I say, I always felt sympathetic toward Jordan. Even though the writers clearly wanted us to see her as the Mean Evil Villainess to Audrey's Perfect Wonderful Heroine, the very fact that they so obviously (and poorly) tried to lead the audience to dislike Jordan made me like Jordan even more. Because, boiled down, you have a woman whose violent rape as a teenager resulted in her Trouble of not being able to touch another person, for probably twenty years - until Nathan came along and took advantage of her vulnerabilities to physically and emotionally manipulate her for his own ends. And then, when he no longer needed her, he dumped her to the curb for Audrey, and all but told Jordan she meant nothing to him. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Our Hero. Even at the time I found Nathan's treatment of Jordan reprehensible, especially since he was the guy the writers wanted us to root for! Honestly, the way Nathan treated both Jordan and Duke in season 3 really soured me on his character, and nothing TIIC have done since have improved him any.

Anyway. Rant over, I promise.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 6

I'm a little behind on my Haven viewing and was expecting to dislike this episode after all the hate here, but... I dunno, it wasn't that bad. But then, I think my standards for Haven have dropped kind of low. Back when characters first started behaving OOC (season 3?), I used to fanwank that there was actually a reason. Now I'm beyond that...

To me, the most distracting part of this episode was not Audrey's godawful behavior, or Nathan giving William the ring, or EB acting circles around everyone else, but the fact that the fake rocks looked so flimsy. Seriously, if you want me to believe William is actually trapped, it might be nice if the rock didn't quiver every time he breathed.

• Love 1

This show has veered so far from where it started that it's basically unrecognizable.

Definitely. This is not the Haven that drew me in back in the beginning. That show was fun and interesting. This one? Not so much.

• Love 1

It's a good thing that Duke and Audrey don't work in an ER.  "So you got 6 inches of rebar in you?  Sucks for you that we can't ease it out and staunch the bleeding as we do.  Sorry, but you have to die -- it's the PLOT! )  And, OF COURSE, it was her fault she walked through a gate that there was no need for just for flashback and karma.  Blegh. 

I agree, EB is about the only reason to watch any more.

• Love 3