Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Don't Call It A Comeback

I love the SNC scenes; the show does a excellent job of depicting how cutthroat network TV--the media overall-can be; from Mark being outed by tabloids, the confrontation between Kara and Marisol, and finally the question of "selling out" to keep a job. It's all fascinating. That being said...

I'm glad Mark stood his ground to his boss; he knew that he was being used as a pawn to attract the LGBT audience, and I agree that his duty is to cover international news---not be a LGBT "representative". And MJ...gay is the new black? For real though? I just want to slap her sometimes.

Cutty buddy had me worried during his seizure; thank goodness he's okay. I wonder if have something with years playing football.

I missed the last scene; did the white dude offer MJ some coke?

• Love 2

Is it common knowledge that Marisol slept her way to her position, or is Kara just talking shit? If Kara is full of it, then I'm going to need for Marisol to get Kara together about that. I know Kara's marking her territory, and unfortunately, as real life workplace politics go, there can only be one POC at the top. There's never room for more because of competition /heavy sigh, but I'm over Kara's smug attitude towards Marisol.

• Love 2

I understand that Kara is freaking out because Marisol is younger and prettier, but Kara needs to slow her roll and tend to her family issues.

I hope cutty buddy gets help.  He's the only character I like right now but he really does need to figure out what he wants to do, post football.

• Love 1

Am I supposed to hate MJ? I understand that she doesn't want to become Cuddy Buddy's caretaker (what is his name? I can't recall), but to straight-up not care that he had a seizure because she can't deal with his "issues"--that's plain cruel. That sounds like something her mother would say. I understand if she doesn't want a serious relationship, but wasn't she actually considering it last episode? And now that her sex-toy has proven to be a human being with human issues, she wants nothing more to do with him? 

And I continue to like Mark. MJ was indeed rude when she made their conversations a joke. He was never that way with her. I know she was trying to lighten the mood, but she came across as very insensitive. 

• Love 5

I was actually afraid Cuddy Buddy was going to die on MJ's bed.  I cannot believe MJ's callous reaction to his seizure.  So now she's done with him because he's "damaged goods" and can no longer service her?  What if he had kicked her to the curb because of the scars on her face?   She is one piece of work.

I know it was supposed to be girlfriend talk, but I thought the "ho" talk she had with her friend went on much too long.

Mark is a nice guy but I don't care all that much about his storyline.  Although I hope he doesn't go off to Nigeria and get killed.

• Love 3

I know it was supposed to be girlfriend talk, but I thought the "ho" talk she had with her friend went on much too long.

Both of the scenes with MJ talking to her girlfriends were terrible. They were poorly written and acted, IMO. The dialogue was stilted and unnatural. 

Maybe MJ is right--her house is the best place for friends to gather. Because when she and her friends stood around talking in her kitchen, the dialogue was much better. 

• Love 3

Both of the scenes with MJ talking to her girlfriends were terrible. They were poorly written and acted, IMO. The dialogue was stilted and unnatural. 

Maybe MJ is right--her house is the best place for friends to gather. Because when she and her friends stood around talking in her kitchen, the dialogue was much better. 

I wasn't going to mention the other girlfriends because I didn't want to come off as bitchy, but I thought their acting was pretty bad and overdone.  (I guess Kelly Rowland needs work.  Wonder if she tried out for Empire.) 

And maybe it's because I'm older, but my two girlfriends and I do not wear that much makeup (and none of us have weaves) when we go out to dinner (we're too old for clubs, lol).  Do the younger women really go out looking like that?  They just seemed overly made up to me.

• Love 2

The thing is, they aren't that young. They're in their late 30s-early 40s (I'm in my 40s, so I can say that). Maybe they're casual acquaintances or frenemies more than good friends, and they all feel the need to impress each other. At least 2 of the women are also broadcast journalists, so there might be a competitive vibe going on when they get together. 

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Lisa. Despite all of her issues, she was probably the most genuine friend MJ had. 

• Love 3

Kara needs to lay off of Marisol. I get why she's bothered. She feels like she had to kick the door down, while Marisol got to just walk through it. Isn't that the point, though? Those who came before had to struggle harder and do more than their fair share so that those who came after them would have a more level playing field. So, NCLR approached SNC, and they hired Marisol. That's no different than a white man asking his golfing buddy to give his son a job. You're still getting a foot in the door because of who your parents are. What matters is what you do after you get there.

Marisol is still working, even though she has no official job. So, Kara is criticizing her for getting hired because of affirmative action, but then she also wants to chastise her for working hard to prove herself. Umm, what? Kara is marking her territory, when what she and Marisol should be doing is helping each other.

Kara is also the type of person who puts more on herself than she needs to, and she's taking her frustration out on Marisol. It seems like she's about to crash and burn.

I, too, was disappointed in MJ response to CB's illness. I felt sorry for him, knowing that he really has no other skills. I wish she had been more supportive and at least tried to convince him to attend to his health.

But, seriously, what IS the Ho Threshold? I liked that conversation, but it was too long.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

But, seriously, what IS the Ho Threshold? I liked that conversation, but it was too long.

It's all subjective, really. My thing is, if you're doing your thing and protecting yourself, then do you. But, if you're dipping it low and spreading it wide to the point where you have mad kids (this goes for men, too. Especially them) and you don't know who the father is, or you're just a rolling stone, then that's no bueno.

• Love 5

Maybe they're casual acquaintances or frenemies more than good friends, and they all feel the need to impress each other. At least 2 of the women are also broadcast journalists, so there might be a competitive vibe going on when they get together.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Lisa. Despite all of her issues, she was probably the most genuine friend MJ had.

Yeah, I didn't see most of those women as MJ's genuine friends, it almost seemed like their yearly or monthly get together, as in a sorority of African-American female journalists. So they get together on those terms, bitch about the job, network etc..

But Lisa was truly like family and MJ even seems like she can be more real around Kara as well. The woman she was having the "ho" talk with also seems a bit closer to her than those other women because she was on previous seasons but their relationship seemed to run hot and cold.

And I agree, I was like, how long is this "ho" talk going to go on.? It got a little embarrassing IMO.  Like, can you girls talk about stock tips, just something other than the "ho" meter and dating. These women are suppose to be pretty intelligent, too intelligent to have this talk  for the whole damn night? Come on.

Cuddy Buddy, I don't know. At first I was like MJ do you remember how he catered to you when you needed someone emotionally?

It's your turn, then you can wean him off. But at least give him what he gave you when he was there for your grieving of Lisa.

I think she tried by telling him that they needed to talk about the seizures...and I guess suggesting he go the doctor might have been pointless in that moment since that was what he was afraid of. He said he had a physical coming up and did not want them to catch the seizures.  Then she tried to tell him that maybe he could think about doing something else, going to school. I thought her tone was caring.

He didn't want to hear it, he didn't come to her for that. He came to  her to get his mind off of it and when she pushed the topic he left.  

I don't know, I guess she could have lied in that moment and caressed him and told him that it would be OK and left it at that. Instead of trying to get him to think of what his next step could be if it doesn't work out. 

But my point is, she was trying to put in some effort even though she had just told her friend that she didn't want to be bothered.

The convo. she had with he friend about wanting to drop him seemed cold and selfish and it was, but what she actually ended up doing wasn't.

Bottom line, he's not her boyfriend. She's not coming to the hospital should he get in a jam, I don't see this happening.  

He is solely her fuck buddy.  She's not going to expend energy to try and talk some sense into him.

I think she wishes him well, but she's not invested and I am not going to blame her for that. It's not like she's playing him. 

She made a suggestion, he didn't want to hear and since they aren't in a committed relationship, he doesn't have to hear her.

But she gave it a little try, she showed some concern.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

And maybe it's because I'm older, but my two girlfriends and I do not wear that much makeup (and none of us have weaves) when we go out to dinner (we're too old for clubs, lol).  Do the younger women really go out looking like that?  They just seemed overly made up to me.

Okay so I guess my girls and I are different but when we meet after work everyone is dressed pretty fashionably, with make up. It may depend on region; we're New Yorkers.

I liked that conversation, but it was too long.

I loved this conversation because it was so honest. It's ridiculous that grown women have to pretend we don't give blowjobs or like a little something nasty here and there.  It was too long though; there was actually a moment where it got a little awkward and Gabby paused too long before delivering her next line.

Most of you ladies have said everything that needs saying except the life of Maryjane Paul really is a cautionary tale. She's selfish as hell and a bad friend but I keep watching because she has a badass house and a great wardrobe.

• Love 5
Okay so I guess my girls and I are different but when we meet after work everyone is dressed pretty fashionably, with make up. It may depend on region; we're New Yorkers.

We put on makeup and dress fashionably but they seemed to overdo it.  I guess it's because some of them are on television so they're used to wearing more hair and makeup than the average woman would going out.  

DC here.  We're no slouches.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I had to think about this episode for a bit.

I think this episode showed exactly why Brandon (Cutty Buddy) and MJ will never evolve into a full blown relationship. It was always about sex when convenient for either of them and will likely stay that way. Yes he showed kindness when she needed, but he also rejected her attempts to show it back to him when HE needed. I get that he was likely embarrassed about the seizures especially when it can play a major part in his future. But, the fact that he has no life plan after sports is a major turnoff. She would never be happy with a dude that lays around the house while she's working and that's what he's likely to be.

I also get why she said (insensitively) that his seizures were a turnoff. Other than wanting unencumbered sex she had no other reason to see him. Dealing with a potential deadly illness doesn't factor into no strings attached sex.

I think (hope) that Lisa's problem with Marisol isn't that Marisol is getting her chance but that her chance came directly because of a threat from the La Raza dude to Greg. Greg reacts to the threat by bringing in an underqualified woman. Given the short hiring time line, I can buy into the idea that she didn't have merit but happened to be the pretty Latino/Hispanic chick that could back down the threat. Considering MJ tried to used PUSH/Rainbow Coalition to speak on her behalf, it's not hard to think Marisol was La Raza's candidate.

Mark, dude.... You knew you had a safe zone inside that anything goes club. So, WHY would you drop your drawers on the PARKING LOT of the club and expect some level of privacy?. Are you trying to out yourself passive aggressively?

• Love 1

Although I enjoy parts of the show, for me the reason it is not must see tv is because in some ways it sometimes plays to a lot of stereotypes. I don't think that they are so much making a big deal out of it as much as they are exploring the fact that although (at least on tv,  and probably in real life?) black men frequently date or experiment outside of their race, for a black woman it is a much bigger issue.  Just thinking about the conversation she had with her friend (which was cringeworthy in  my opinion) it appeared that even affirming that you are attracted to something other than a black man would be a betrayal.  The way her mother is portrayed I don't think it would be welcome at her home.  Of most of my friends,I am the only one that has dated outside of my race and the comments that my well educated friends sometimes make or the questions they ask are amusing and tragic.  It always, however, comes down to how concerned they are about what other people will think about their choice, or that the man will be judging them in some way.  

Of course the man will have some problem and/or he won't treat her well.  My issue is not that he is white, it is that he is not very attractive!  I need more eye candy on tv....where is Wiliam Levy or a clone?  Ha. Ha. I am, however, a sucker for an accent!   I will watch to see how this plays out, although I don't know why she had to meet him in a "uninhibited" bar.  

I have missed a lot of episodes with Cutty Buddy...what is the story? How did she meet him and why is he not relationship material?  Is he younger? 

• Love 3

Although I enjoy parts of the show, for me the reason it is not must see tv is because in some ways it sometimes plays to a lot of stereotypes. I don't think that they are so much making a big deal out of it as much as they are exploring the fact that although (at least on tv,  and probably in real life?) black men frequently date or experiment outside of their race, for a black woman it is a much bigger issue.  Just thinking about the conversation she had with her friend (which was cringeworthy in  my opinion) it appeared that even affirming that you are attracted to something other than a black man would be a betrayal.  The way her mother is portrayed I don't think it would be welcome at her home.  Of most of my friends,I am the only one that has dated outside of my race and the comments that my well educated friends sometimes make or the questions they ask are amusing and tragic.  It always, however, comes down to how concerned they are about what other people will think about their choice, or that the man will be judging them in some way.  

Of course the man will have some problem and/or he won't treat her well.  My issue is not that he is white, it is that he is not very attractive!  I need more eye candy on tv....where is Wiliam Levy or a clone?  Ha. Ha. I am, however, a sucker for an accent!   I will watch to see how this plays out, although I don't know why she had to meet him in a "uninhibited" bar.  

I have missed a lot of episodes with Cutty Buddy...what is the story? How did she meet him and why is he not relationship material?  Is he younger? 

I'm the only one of my friends who dated out of my race as well, and I still remember the rather disapproving look I got from my best friend.  My mom was fine with it though, bless her.  I do think it's still mostly a "big deal" for a black woman to date a white man, and I commented on the fact that I was surprised that MJ hadn't already dated a white man before now.

And I definitely agree that they should have tried to get William Levy.  Guess he was busy doing something else.   

He's an athlete who travels regularly. He and MJ have a mutual "lets meet up when you are in town" deal. Neither have expressed truly wanting more than a booty call. She was seeing him on the side while dating the guy that turned out to be married in season 1. I have no idea about his age but it's clear the booty call route was working for them. Occasionally one or the other give half-a-second thought to "what if" but keep it at booty call.

Just thinking about the conversation she had with her friend (which was cringeworthy in  my opinion) it appeared that even affirming that you are attracted to something other than a black man would be a betrayal.  The way her mother is portrayed I don't think it would be welcome at her home.  Of most of my friends,I am the only one that has dated outside of my race and the comments that my well educated friends sometimes make or the questions they ask are amusing and tragic.  It always, however, comes down to how concerned they are about what other people will think about their choice, or that the man will be judging them in some way.

Here's what makes zero sense.  If someone ever told me it was a betrayal, I'd say.  "Then tell that to black men," drop the mike and walk away.  It makes ZERO sense to me.  Women of all other races are taught to "marry well."  Black women are taught to "marry black."  Something's wrong with that picture.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

I loved this conversation because it was so honest. It's ridiculous that grown women have to pretend we don't give blowjobs or like a little something nasty here and there.  It was too long though; there was actually a moment where it got a little awkward and Gabby paused too long before delivering her next line.

These conversations make me feel like the actors are adlibbing and not working on book. They have a flabbiness that feels like riffing and not scripted words. I noticed it a lot this season. Gabrielle is an EP this year so I wonder if she's taking script liberties.  A few of their "issue" chat fests have felt that way to me.