Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E14: The Guy Who Was A Momma's Boy

As someone who has struggled with ED before and has lots of friends who have too, that eating plan is classic distorted eating. Personally looking at her before pics, I don't see any reason to lose weight for 'health'. But that aside, the way she did it and seems to think is normal and is worth advocating to others is the part that bothers me. ANTM always likes to pretend like these girls just happen to be this skinny naturally (I'm sure some of them are) and show them eating/drinking etc, but it makes it seem to girls like it's achievable to look like a model by eating healthfully, which in most cases it isn't (as per Lacey). 

• Love 3

What age was she when she started her eating regimen? After all, she's just 18 on broadcast, and speakibn from experience, 14 to 15 is when I piled up weight which I then lost and more to become a normally thin 17 years old (and thinner and fitter at 20 that I was at 15). Metabolism gets a bit crazy in those teenage years and if (like me) you stop a heavy physical activity (in my case, ballet, 90 min. twice week) because of school work, it does take a while for your body to adjust, but it does. Teenage years shouldn't call for such a radical diet until you're seriously overweight because as I've seen numerous times that weight self corrects Of course neither me nor my friends had dreams of becoming a model, so what do I know...  

• Love 2

What age was she when she started her eating regimen? After all, she's just 18 on broadcast, and speakibn from experience, 14 to 15 is when I piled up weight which I then lost and more to become a normally thin 17 years old (and thinner and fitter at 20 that I was at 15). Metabolism gets a bit crazy in those teenage years and if (like me) you stop a heavy physical activity (in my case, ballet, 90 min. twice week) because of school work, it does take a while for your body to adjust, but it does. Teenage years shouldn't call for such a radical diet until you're seriously overweight because as I've seen numerous times that weight self corrects Of course neither me nor my friends had dreams of becoming a model, so what do I know...  

I just feel like there is so much time in life to eat like a sensible adult.  I don't think any kid should eat crazy, but it seems to take part of the joy out of childhood when all you eat is tilapia, apples and vegetables.  There is plenty of time for tilapia!

• Love 2

Tilapia is all right is that is what you crave, as are vegetables (I'm a veg fan, so I do get it) IF THAT IS WHAT YOU LIKE, not if it is what you think you SHOULD eat and force yourself to like.  

Back to my experience above: I did change my diet in that I seriously reduced cakes, ice creams and other desserts. Seriously meant I would skip it one time out of two and not go out of my way to get some. Yeah, no biggie. Still worked. I'm still 5 kg lighter than I was at 14, and I had a kid in the meantime! So yeah, you teenage girls, take heart: your moms may have better bodies than you do but you'll soon get there and more (and if you got your mom's genes, be grateful!! I got my dad's, and I'm grateful, mom worked as a cautionary tale). Stay reasonably active and continue to eat healthy and yes, it will happen.

• Love 1

My verdict: one of the better episodes of the season, as in it sucked slightly less than usual. Tyra's mom is a way better photographer than Tyra's boyfriend. Re the Nylon challenge, Nyle deserved to win. Nyle's photos oozed sensuality; otoh, the rest were boring. Speaking of boring, that leads me to Mame', who's gone from "resting on pretty" to almost dying of it. Lacey's not the most exciting model either, but she still managed to have more charisma than Mame'. Even Mikey was more likable than Mame' . I also hated Mame's passive/aggressive resentment of her mother. If Mame had to mention it, then why didn't she do it off-camera? Mame's life wasn't "perfect," but it wasn't Dickensian, either, contrary to her opinion.

Re the model/mom photoshoots, Mame's  photo didn't deserve to win the main  challenge. Lacey & her mom's photos were more fun, Mikey & his mom's photos were fierce and Nyle & his mom's photos were fire. Nyle's mom not only gave good face, she gave great profile, which is why they should have won. If not Nyle & his mom, then-I can't believe I'm saying this-but Mikey & his mom's photo should have won because they gave Viking realness. Mikey's being in the bottom 2 gave him a much-needed dose of humility. Too bad it won't last.

• Love 2

I'm with you NutMeg. I think Nyle is a stunning man but he's kind of a one look model. His mom, however, was great. I love their pictures and Mickey and his mom's as well. I actually think Mikey is a better model then Nyle, but Nyle is much, much better looking to me. Modeling has nothing to do with who is best looking. It's about being able to convey whatever, wear clothes and be photogenic. Mikey has a very photogenic face and he knows his image, he's the bad boy rocker. That's a very distinct image that he does well.

The more I think about it, the more I think Mikey has the most potential to have an actual career in modeling. His wanting to screw as many willing women as possible should not change that. And it doesn't bother me mostly because of one very important word "willing". He has not shown himself to be pushing any of these girls into doing anything they don't want to. And really what is the worst thing he's done? Made out with a girl who decided it was OK to cheat on her TV boyfriend that she's known all of a few weeks? That's on Mame, not Mikey.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go near the boy without a thorough litany of STD testing but he's a young, single guy and he is hooking up with very willing women. Not a big deal at all. Now, if he'd spent the whole season talking about how he was going to deflower the virgin I'd find him disgusting, but interestingly, he hasn't really shown any interest in the girl who wasn't interested in him. That's actually a pretty nice feature in a guy.

• Love 1
And really what is the worst thing he's done? Made out with a girl who decided it was OK to cheat on her TV boyfriend that she's known all of a few weeks? That's on Mame, not Mikey.

Yeah, I don't think his macking on consenting women is so awful.  The thing he does that I find the worst is that he is kind to vulnerable people for as long as it amuses him, and then when it becomes inconvenient, he just stone cold drops them without any compassion or mercy.  And yes, Courtney's neediness and Devin's, uh, Devin-ness could surely get very annoying and frustrating, and yes, they're both grown and responsible for their own emotional well-being, but when you lead emotionally immature people into believing you are truly their friend, their best friend, perhaps their only friend in the house, and then just dump them like a hot potato...it's not a good look.

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't think his macking on consenting women is so awful.  The thing he does that I find the worst is that he is kind to vulnerable people for as long as it amuses him, and then when it becomes inconvenient, he just stone cold drops them without any compassion or mercy.  And yes, Courtney's neediness and Devin's, uh, Devin-ness could surely get very annoying and frustrating, and yes, they're both grown and responsible for their own emotional well-being, but when you lead emotionally immature people into believing you are truly their friend, their best friend, perhaps their only friend in the house, and then just dump them like a hot potato...it's not a good look.

agree 100% -- the way he did Courtney was cold.  I feel like he could have handled that in a kinder way.  I don't think he is "taking advantage" per se.  I just think he is dirty and skeevy.  I can't remember the first girl he was with, but I got the impression that she may have thought it was more than it was, and if he knew that I think the kind thing to do would have been to set her straight...instead of trying to paw her in a taxi.

I disagree that he was unreasonable towards Courtney. Yes he wasn't the most compassionate but I can understand how exhausting people like Courtney could be. They usually require a lot of handholding and comfort. It's not for everyone and some people's tolerance for it is lower. Mikey wasn't the only one who mentioned how high maintenance Courtney is. She doesn't want to eat and needs to be constantly taken care of. They are in a freaking competition. No one owes her that.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2

Yeah, and really, Mikey was one of the few who even bothered with her. I think he pushed her away when it started to feel like she was crushing on him and he didn't want any part of her train wreck. I think he tried to be her friend but when things started to get too intense he bailed rather than lead her on.

I disagree that he was unreasonable towards Courtney. Yes he wasn't the most compassionate but I can understand how exhausting people like Courtney could be. They usually require a lot of handholding and comfort. It's not for everyone and some people's tolerance for it is lower. Mikey wasn't the only one who mentioned how high maintenance Courtney is. She doesn't want to eat and needs to be constantly taken care of. They are in a freaking competition. No one owes her that.

I don't think extricating himself from the situation was at all unreasonable.  She did seem like a lot of work and incredibly needy.  I only had a problem in how he did it.  I think it could have been done more privately, and maybe with a little more subtlety, or pushing her to talk to others.  I just remember thinking...."ouch, that is cold"  I remember there was one scene where she was sitting at a table with Mikey and Devin and they didn't even say a word to her.  I get that she wasn't going to replace Ashley, but it just seemed so purposefully mean to a fragile person.

Yeah, and really, Mikey was one of the few who even bothered with her. I think he pushed her away when it started to feel like she was crushing on him and he didn't want any part of her train wreck. I think he tried to be her friend but when things started to get too intense he bailed rather than lead her on.

Didn't they sleep together...not sex, but like sleeping and cuddling in the same bed?  If so, that was also kind of an asshole move.  You should be able to spot a Courtney personality a mile away and thats not the sort you do that to and not expect anything to come of it.

• Love 1
I don't think extricating himself from the situation was at all unreasonable.  She did seem like a lot of work and incredibly needy.  I only had a problem in how he did it.  I think it could have been done more privately, and maybe with a little more subtlety, or pushing her to talk to others.  I just remember thinking...."ouch, that is cold"  I remember there was one scene where she was sitting at a table with Mikey and Devin and they didn't even say a word to her.  I get that she wasn't going to replace Ashley, but it just seemed so purposefully mean to a fragile person.

Yeah, this.  It was how he did it, not the fact that he extricated himself.  

• Love 1

Yeah, this. It was how he did it, not the fact that he extricated himself.

OK, I do agree that he didn't handle it in a mature way. Honestly, I think he was probably a little pissed that she was keeping up her woe-is-me act. He seemed to not have anything to do with her after that. Plus whoever else worked with Courtney on another photoshoot also commented how they've to coddle Courtney just to get a decent shot. They are not her family or friends, I doubt anyone would be able to put up with such behaviour for long.

Edited by waving feather