Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

I'm so pleased. I'll probably regret it when the season actually happens, but for the moment I'm looking forward to it. This re-capturing serial killers idea intrigues me, and I hope that their Morgan replacement, if they have to have one, fits in as nice and quietly as Tara. 

*happy dance*

• Love 3
2 hours ago, normasm said:

Well, i may be re-thinking my wish that Beyond Boredom™ tanks, because that would mean EM comes back full time to CM. (She seems like a lovely person that everyone likes, but I hate what she and others have done to the show). 

It could go either way for BB. Both Hawaii Five-0 and Elementary were renewed with a 1.1 demo in their L+SD ratings.But those shows have syndication deals in place where as BB does not.The problems with BB though besides it's rather lackluster ratings is that there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in it from what I can see.And I too absolutely hate the idea of EM coming back full time. If you ask me I felt she still had way too much say in the shows creative process.Unless of course it was Breen's idea to continue to bring us the unsub show. Boy did he ever turnout to be somewhat of a disappointment.

• Love 1

If, as has been pointed out that, Shemar's departure reduces the cost of the show, and this is something CBS has been looking to do,why the hell would they want to replace him. The only way it would make any damn sense were if Aishia Tyler were unable to commit as much time to the show next season as she was this season.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, MMC said:

It could go either way for BB. Both Hawaii Five-0 and Elementary were renewed with a 1.1 demo in their L+SD ratings.But those shows have syndication deals in place where as BB does not.The problems with BB though besides it's rather lackluster ratings is that there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in it from what I can see.And I too absolutely hate the idea of EM coming back full time. If you ask me I felt she still had way too much say in the shows creative process.Unless of course it was Breen's idea to continue to bring us the unsub show. Boy did he ever turnout to be somewhat of a disappointment.

Well, Miss, I think show runners, and especially co-showrunners like Breen, have less power to dictate than we might think. If Breen was given the show, they may have said "do it exactly this way, because...". I don't think any show runner can truly singlehandedly run a show into the ground (or make it amazing). It's just that the direction EM started taking the show in several years ago resonated with a new, younger demographic, and her "success" meant that TPTB wanted "more hits like the last hit."

The only real progress I think is possible is that they stop letting assistants and researchers write scripts, especially on their own (!). The cast and crew this show has shown they can bring it to anything that is given them. When it's well-written, it's golden, what they bring. When the writing is bad, it's gilded crap. 

Writers and directors, as is proved time and again on shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, are the difference between good TV and wannabe-good TV. IMO.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, normasm said:

Well, Miss, I think show runners, and especially co-showrunners like Breen, have less power to dictate than we might think. If Breen was given the show, they may have said "do it exactly this way, because...". I don't think any show runner can truly singlehandedly run a show into the ground (or make it amazing). It's just that the direction EM started taking the show in several years ago resonated with a new, younger demographic, and her "success" meant that TPTB wanted "more hits like the last hit."

The only real progress I think is possible is that they stop letting assistants and researchers write scripts, especially on their own (!). The cast and crew this show has shown they can bring it to anything that is given them. When it's well-written, it's golden, what they bring. When the writing is bad, it's gilded crap. 

Writers and directors, as is proved time and again on shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, are the difference between good TV and wannabe-good TV. IMO.

Don't think I've ever seen this put into words better, Normasm.  

I was less excited about the news than I'd expected to be.  I think they might have finally beaten it out of me.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is in reference to a comment I just saw on the roundtable blog.First of all I cannot even begin to express how much the term "the boys club" irritates the hell out of me.With all do respect to my gender(female) I found the show to have been way more interesting and far more compelling back in the days when it was more male dominated. I said it before and I will say it again. I find it quite ironic that in the hands of a female show runner I developed such negative feelings towards CM's females.

I wanted to add that I really did not have a problem with this person's comment as a whole even if I disagree with them about Shemar being replaced. I just was wanting to express how much I've grown to despise the term "Boys Club"

Edited by MMC
needed to clarify myself a bit more
  • Love 4
(edited)

I've read stories of prisoners who are just so happy to get a crumb of stale bread and think of it as a feast, and I am sort of at that point.

i am so happy to have a season 12. I hope it isn't squandered because, really, this is it.  All I care about -- and I mean it -- all I care about is that Spencer Reid gets a happy ending.  I do not care with whom, or how it plays out, but it has to happen.  There will be no dealing with me if it does not.

Edited by Droogie
Typo, duh.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MMC said:

This is in reference to a comment I just saw on the roundtable blog.First of all I cannot even begin to express how much the term "the boys club" irritates the hell out of me.With all do respect to my gender(female) I found the show to have been way more interesting and far more compelling back in the days when it was more male dominated. I said it before and I will say it again. I find it quite ironic that in the hands of a female show runner I developed such negative feelings towards CM's females.

With your permission, MMC, I'm going to quote this again in the Gender on Television thread. I think it will make for an interesting discussion.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

With your permission, MMC, I'm going to quote this again in the Gender on Television thread. I think it will make for an interesting discussion.

Permission granted.

• Love 1
(edited)

it is ironic, but quality isn't a gender question, sadly Messer's style is soapy, she thinks only a gun can make a woman powerful and only explosions bring shock to the table. She is trying to do something between Alias and 24 with a lot of sugar on it and I didn't follow any of those shows and it's not the reason I started to follow CM.

She is mediocre. And I'm sure she is working hard, but she is only losing viewers, at least the long run ones :(

7 hours ago, qwerty said:

My friend bought me season 10 for my birthday yesterday, as I was copying the DVD files onto my laptop I realised that they come with Spanish and Italian audio. I'm not sure about the other seasons and if the voice overs change, but if you own season 10 on DVD I highly recommended watching season with the Spanish Audio for a few laughs, Spencer has the funniest voice.

hahahaha I know, it's weird switching between languages. 

I like the actor who dubes Hotchner, and he plays Det. Valens from Cold case too, when it's on air and I'm not watching, just hearing it, it's really weird hahaha

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, qwerty said:

My friend bought me season 10 for my birthday yesterday, as I was copying the DVD files onto my laptop I realised that they come with Spanish and Italian audio. I'm not sure about the other seasons and if the voice overs change, but if you own season 10 on DVD I highly recommended watching season with the Spanish Audio for a few laughs, Spencer has the funniest voice.

He does! The Spanish dub is just terrible - he sounds so strange - all kind of babyish and whispery at the same time (that voice reminds me of a male Brittney Spears). The worst thing about it is that the same guy did the dubbed voice for Ted on 'How I Met Your Mother' and John Connor from 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles' as well, and it's weird and confusing when you hear the exact same voice from so many random guys who might all have 'lighter' voices but sound so different in English.

I think Reid sounds much better in Italian and French, though. Although not better than in real life, of course.

• Love 1

hahahahaha

I can't write as much as I would like right now, but if you think CM is terrible... don't ever watch SOA dubed, that can make your ears bleed hahaha

I still remember the first time I listened Brad Pitt or Hugh Grant talking, I was really surprised

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm usually completely ok with dubbed shows, I have to be or I'd never watch TV. But actually it's not the whole dub of Spanish Criminal Minds, it's just Reid's voice that's totally wrong. It's hard to find him attractive with that voice! Although equally sometimes the dubbed voices are even nicer than the real ones. I remember watching The X-Files in Canadian French and finding Doggett's voice really (weirdly) sexy!

Some dubs are way worse than others. And yes, it's really weird to hear the actors' voices when you finally watch the original version as well.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

LOL, Rerun!

I've been watching a lot of old school TV from various digital channels here in Milwaukee lately.

And one day our descendants will be watching ancient episodes of CM implanted into their eyeballs. Sometimes I see the BAU using flip phones on an episode of CM  from say,  2006, and think to myself, "Flip phones? What century is this? The 18th?"

• Love 2
On 5/6/2016 at 6:01 PM, normasm said:

Oh, my word, yes! I was dumbfounded that they let someone with no writing credits whatsoever write an episode on her own this season, and it was a piece of crap, too. The fact that they don't realize how important the writing is and how much most of the scripts suck these days just boggles the mind. 

• Love 3
(edited)

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds!"

Though Dr. Spencer “Kid” Reid enjoyed his bromance with Derek “Chocolate Thunder” Morgan and adored his namesake, Hank Spencer , he wasn’t exactly fond of like dressing them.

9c6807be786d0ba9bdd6082d96020c4a.jpg

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, SSAHotchner said:

Oh, my word, yes! I was dumbfounded that they let someone with no writing credits whatsoever write an episode on her own this season, and it was a piece of crap, too. The fact that they don't realize how important the writing is and how much most of the scripts suck these days just boggles the mind. 

I need to wrap my head around the concept that someone with zilch writing credits can write a script for CM when countless talented script writers go unheeded. Sadly, so many talented writers, not just in Hollywood, but also here in Milwaukee go neglected while unskilled, inexperienced, and no talent pippy-poos get valuable writing gigs. This has happened to me more than a handful of times, and needless to say I am filled with justifiable rage about it.

And next season, Matthew's experience and actual evidence as a talented director will be ignored and a delivery driver from Jimmy John's will direct several episodes of CM.

• Love 3

So if you guys get a chance  go check out that twitter conversation on Harry's twitter account.First of all I don't understand these so called CM Fans who want to bring in someone new.Do they watch the same damn show as we do.Do they not see the time and focus that is often wasted on these new characters because the show wants us to get to know them. Anyways Harry agreed with this person that a new member should be added than some people starting tweeting back as to why they didn't think it'd be a good reason.And every single one of them were valid reasons.Well Harry Bring had a response to those advocating for the team to remain as the 5 + 1.He said another person is needed so as to give the long time team members a break.What a bunch of BS imo.Especially since the regular cast often has to take a backseat to the so called guest stars.Just how much of a damn break do they need.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, MMC said:

So if you guys get a chance  go check out that twitter conversation on Harry's twitter account.First of all I don't understand these so called CM Fans who want to bring in someone new.Do they watch the same damn show as we do.Do they not see the time and focus that is often wasted on these new characters because the show wants us to get to know them. Anyways Harry agreed with this person that a new member should be added than some people starting tweeting back as to why they didn't think it'd be a good reason.And every single one of them were valid reasons.Well Harry Bring had a response to those advocating for the team to remain as the 5 + 1.He said another person is needed so as to give the long time team members a break.What a bunch of BS imo.Especially since the regular cast often has to take a backseat to the so called guest stars.Just how much of a damn break do they need.

A break?!?!?!?! What a silly excuse. Did anyone tell him that was a load of something stinky? 

59 minutes ago, MMC said:

I don't know of any fans who want a new cast member. I know of plenty who have complained about the exit of some of the previous members and many more who have complained about the addition of new members in previous seasons. So I think he's full of crap. 

32 minutes ago, SSAHotchner said:

I don't know of any fans who want a new cast member. I know of plenty who have complained about the exit of some of the previous members and many more who have complained about the addition of new members in previous seasons. So I think he's full of crap. 

Unfortunately I have seen people who claim to be fans advocating for a new team member. That is how the whole conversation started on Harry's twitter.Of course after she saw so many people objecting to it and their reasons why she backpedal on the idea somewhat.

I don't remember where on this forum I said that it makes no sense to replace Morgan and bring Tara on so that there will be the old 6+1 when EM seemed to very confidently helm the spinoff with a 4+1 and implied that they were better, smarter, and better looooking than the original! And, yes, there is no need for more profilers if this stays the Unsub Show anyway...

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, normasm said:

I don't remember where on this forum I said that it makes no sense to replace Morgan and bring Tara on so that there will be the old 6+1 when EM seemed to very confidently helm the spinoff with a 4+1 and implied that they were better, smarter, and better looooking than the original! And, yes, there is no need for more profilers if this stays the Unsub Show anyway...

Maybe someone here who tweets could bring that very point up to Harry.Because I sure as hell would like to know why a 5 member cast is efficient enough for the spin off but the mothership apparently has to have 7 members.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, normasm said:

I haven't watched the spinoff and don't really intend to watch the spinoff, but when you consider that the whole kerfuffle about Paget and AJ started because the show was trying to save money by having fewer profilers, it really makes no sense that they'd even make the suggestion that Shemar would be replaced.

2 hours ago, MMC said:

Maybe someone here who tweets could bring that very point up to Harry.Because I sure as hell would like to know why a 5 member cast is efficient enough for the spin off but the mothership apparently has to have 7 members.

Particularly when the whole team goes out in the field, that usually means one or two of them are going to vanish halfway during the episode anymore.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I was about to volunteer to take one for the team and venture onto Twitter, and then I looked at Harry's current feed and just......no. He's lucky I don't know how to use Photoshop.

"He's lucky I don't know how to use Photoshop." What do you mean? :D?

Most CM fans are AGAINST the idea of having a new team member and they already let him know this. I've a feeling he can't do anything about this. I don't know about Erica Messer... but I don't think they're listening to fans on twitter anyway. 

Edited by httqCE
4 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I was about to volunteer to take one for the team and venture onto Twitter, and then I looked at Harry's current feed and just......no. He's lucky I don't know how to use Photoshop.

I can use Photoshop...what do you need? /s

Though I'm only really half kidding...

• Love 1

I'm not a fan of Twitter; the immaturity and lack of professionalism, the Twitter wars, and the inane tweets some people choose to post just raise my hackles. And all the #hashtags and @s give me vertigo.

However, I decided to take one for our team, dust off my blog's cobweb-laced Twitter account, and post this to Mr. Bring's Twitter feed twice, once as a single tweet and another one he posted earlier this month. Here it is:

"There is a rumor some CM scripts are being written by assistants and researchers with very little writing experience. Is this true?"

I will let you know if I get any response-good, bad or ugly.

I'm in a bit of a mood and have a need to vent so this was quite cathartic.

• Love 5
(edited)

This just in. Grandfathered has been canceled that leaves Paget Brewster more free time to possibly do some guest appearances on CM next season. I myself have mixed feelings about it. At one time I would have been jumping for joy over the prospect of them possibly getting PB for more guest appearances. But sadly after the last couple of times that she returned, and what it resulted in, I am not as gung ho for her to return as I use to be.

Edited by MMC
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, MMC said:

yes! because it's not the same 7 actors for the show than 7 members for the team. They exchange the liaison role by another profiler, that was made in season 7. While JJ did another job and Garcia did mind her own business the show was well-balanced. I can see Strauss and Hotch playing with the liaison spot to keep Prentiss, but I don't see the need after her transfer. I think they shouldn't have brought any other agent after Prentiss if JJ was going to be a profiler.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, MMC said:

This just in. Grandfathered has been canceled that leaves Paget Brewster more free time to possibly do some guest appearances on CM next season. I myself have mixed feelings about it. At one time I would have been jumping for joy over the prospect of them possibly getting PB for more guest appearance. But sadly after the last couple of times that she return, and what it resulted in, I am not as gung ho for her to return as I use to be.

I tried to watch it but it was weak and just felt like it was trying so hard to be funny but never got there. I'm sorry for Paget, because I think she's amazing and I'd love to see her have a big role on a successful show. 

• Love 2

Well, if it was Paget, and if she was coming back full time, I could handle the additional profiler.  It's only a problem when she comes back as a guest star, because they feel a need to focus, and it throws off the balance.  

Alas, I fear they think too concretely.  So, male profiler out, male profiler in.  Wouldn't I love to be proven wrong!

• Love 1

I loved Emily when Paget was on the show and was sorry Paget CHOSE to leave the second time, but that was literally four years ago, and I am over it. I accepted the manner they brought back Emily (and JJ) with minimal side eyes, because their exits were forced by the network and then they were brought back at the behest of the network. But my eyes would roll out of their head if they tried to bring back Paget full time. Emily CHOSE to leave the FBI to pursue a leadership role at Interpol. Why in the hell would she come back to the BAU and be a lowly subordinate again? Why would the FBI allow that to happen? I would find it is so ridiculous. It would be one thing if Emily's exit story was a simple reassignment within the FBI, but she has not worked for the FBI for years. 

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, ForeverAlone said:

Why in the hell would she come back to the BAU and be a lowly subordinate again? Why would the FBI allow that to happen? 

I'm sleepy, or I might have come up with more:

• She's discovered she really doesn't like tea
  • Her mother is ill, and she wants to be near her, in DC
  • Interpol is working with the FBI on some new theories re: serial killers and their profiles
  • Declan needs her, stateside
  • she helped catch the escapees once, she can help catch them again
Edited by JMO
one more idea
  • Love 1
(edited)

Doesn't matter to me. No amount of story contrivances will make me excited to see Emily return on a full time basis, but once an actor chooses to leave a show, I am not likely to be excited for a full time return, especially after years away to accept the departure. I fall into the category of hoping they don't hire anybody new, unless they don't get Aisha back, in which case I understand and accept the need for another profiler. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 2

IMO, the show only handled departures and new arrivals well in the past, and maybe that's because they let some time pass before cast changes. When Elle left, there was some breathing room, as if they were letting things settle, and then Emily showed up and she had to get settled and acclimated. After Gideon cracked up or whatever, there was a waiting period until Rossi came out of retirement, and before he came back to the unit it was Morgan who told Hotch that they were doing just fine with the team they had. At this point, it almost seems like a meta comment from the writers.

I just don't think the show's premise necessarily fits the revolving door policy they've had since Emily left the second time and Alex replaced her, and that's no slam on the characters. Aside from the misstep with the unfortunate Seaver, the characters are qualified to be in the FBI, and to be elite profilers, etc. But the key word there is 'elite'. A show like Law & Order, which ran for two decades and saw numerous cast changes during that time, both in the Law and the Order portion of the main cast, handled it better, IMO, with few noticeable burps to anyone who isn't me. But CM is a different show with a different tone to it, and I don't think it's believable that they'd just pull a name out of a hat and decide "So and So is qualified to be a profiler." Because that's where they screwed up with Seaver.

• Love 6

Still no news regarding Beyond Boredom's fate either way.although supposedly deadline.com is predicting it's renewal. CBS did just pick up a bunch of pilots though.

At the rate shows are being cancelled/going away, Beyond Boredom might be safe for a bit. Castle, Mike & Molly, The Good Wife, and Rizzoli and Isles are all ending soon or soonish, and while Castle and R & I are on other networks, Michael Weatherly leaving NCIS might bode ill for the series continuing. Mark Harmon's the star, but for whatever reason DiNozzo has a whole bunch of fans and they might not be too happy to lose him.

I have to admit now that I know there is no chance in hell Beyond Boredom will be replacing the mothership anytime soon ,not with those ratings,even CBS can't be that stupid, I tend to be more in favor of it's renewal than I was previously. I am hoping it's renewal will mean EM is shipped over there permanently to run it full time and will have nothing more to do with the mothership.

• Love 2

I could have sworn that the CBS Upfronts were today. And yet there still hasn't been any official word from them regarding the fate of CM:BB,Code Black and Limitless.

4 minutes ago, normasm said:

CMRT says it's been renewed.

Please oh Please let is renewal mean that EM will be running it exclusively and will have nothing more to do with the mothership.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

Yes, Beyond Boredom has been officially renewed. Why, is anyone's guess.

Well someone did suggest that it might have been a case of CBS not having anything else to fill that spot which sounds feasible to me. What I find mind boggling is the people who actually believe had CBS decided to cancel this low rated spin off they also would have canceled the mothership.Which is still a top 10 show for CBS as well as their second highest rated drama.

• Love 3

I guess its renewal also means Erica Messer will be staying active on twitter. Would anyone care to wager a bet whether or not she would have done so had CM:BB gotten canceled. Now bear in mind that despite the fact she has had a twitter account since 2012 EM did not bother to tweet until that spin off came along.

• Love 1