Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: In a Clearing

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

Mary envisions her future in France by Francis' side as his condition improves, prompting her to contemplate signing away her claim to the throne of England. Meanwhile, Nostradamus returns with more news of Francis' fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqEw3wvD24w

Delphine's alive? I thought she gave her life for his?

I thought every episode was going to be a Francis almost dies but then survives until he actually started having the flashbacks. But wow at them actually going through with it this time. I felt so sorry for Bash, but where were the other siblings? Claude?

I don't know how much they'll follow history. I think Mary may end going to be pregnant from the lake.

Goddam that was a beautifully shot episode. Aside from the asinine serial killer plot (frankly I'd have preferred to see Elizabeth and her state of mind while the peace treaty was being considered, but I suppose this was one of the episodes when the threat of her is meant to be more palpable than the sight of her), the whole thing was heartbreakingly lovely. Fantastic acting from all the royals. It's funny how I've seen the "screaming fit of grief" on tv before, but I think this might be the only one I've ever bought. Adelaide Kane is a hell of a saleswoman.

Although one small thing was that of course I was expecting Francis to die all the time (and almost thought it was another fakeout!), and I spent a lot of this episode going "just don't die buckass naked, just don't die buckass naked."

• Love 4
It's funny how I've seen the "screaming fit of grief" on tv before, but I think this might be the only one I've ever bought.

Yes, I have to give it to Adelaide Kane. It's no secret that I hated her acting at the start of the series. But she really has came a long way. Wow, so believable this episode. I could feel how heartbroken, tired and angry Mary was through all that. 

Not gonna lie, I cried quite a bit during this episode. Not necessarily because Francis died ('cos that's expected) but seeing the different reactions of all the characters.

• Love 5

I thought, should Bash really be the one telling?

I liked the brief flashback of them as children.

When Catherine told Mary she must be strong it reminded me of Elizabeth Woodville being told that by her mother in "the White Queen". The deliveries sounded similiar.

I am excited for Catherine as regent. I wonder if Bash will try for the position. If he does I assume he's toast.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

Goddam that was a beautifully shot episode. Aside from the asinine serial killer plot (frankly I'd have preferred to see Elizabeth and her state of mind while the peace treaty was being considered, but I suppose this was one of the episodes when the threat of her is meant to be more palpable than the sight of her), the whole thing was heartbreakingly lovely. Fantastic acting from all the royals. It's funny how I've seen the "screaming fit of grief" on tv before, but I think this might be the only one I've ever bought. Adelaide Kane is a hell of a saleswoman.

I agree with all of this, and even though I knew that this was it, I still cried my heart out.

• Love 2

I am confused.  Narcisse told Mary that it was a plot by the Protestant nobles to assassinate her before she could return to Scotland.  But they did not kill her although they had ample opportunity to do so during the attack.

Was this just sloppy writing, or did Narcisse give her wrong information?

I am confused.  Narcisse told Mary that it was a plot by the Protestant nobles to assassinate her before she could return to Scotland.  But they did not kill her although they had ample opportunity to do so during the attack.

Was this just sloppy writing, or did Narcisse give her wrong information?

Thank You!  There was a knife to her throat!  What the fuck, show?  Are we to  believe Mary is too stupid to remember she could have been way more easily murdered than Francis?

I was toast when Francis saw the bush with the white petals. I hate historical inaccuracies but the fan girl in me liked the fact that he died saving Mary. I think generally Toby Regbo has done a pretty great job making Francis likeable despite some of the weird u turns his character has had to make.

Bash telling Catherine was beyond strange and inappropriate (historically). Also why wasn't Charles at the funeral?

I think Mary will need to hang around at court for a bit just to check she isn't pregnant but then it's back to Scotland. Are they planning to follow her there? I have to say I'm not very interested in Elizabeth, I would like to follow Catherine instead. French history is about to get really bloody!

• Love 2

I was toast when Francis saw the bush with the white petals. I hate historical inaccuracies but the fan girl in me liked the fact that he died saving Mary. I think generally Toby Regbo has done a pretty great job making Francis likeable despite some of the weird u turns his character has had to make.

Bash telling Catherine was beyond strange and inappropriate (historically). Also why wasn't Charles at the funeral?

I don't know for sure about France, but in England kings didn't go to funerals because no one was allowed to imagine the death of the king or something like that. So maybe the writers were invoking that?

• Love 1

I thought it was quite a good episode, and nearly shed a tear at Mary by Francis's side for hours. I cheered her on for burning the accords as well. But I'm bummed Nostradamus isn't hanging around. He's way cooler than Delphine for the mystical side of things.

While I was surprised by Francis' death, I was even more surprised by the "resurrection" of Nostradamus - did he not die eons ago? am I confused?

No, he slunk off somewhere. He may have faked his death or something, I forget, but Catherine knew he was okay.

I thought it was quite a good episode, and nearly shed a tear at Mary by Francis's side for hours. I cheered her on for burning the accords as well. But I'm bummed Nostradamus isn't hanging around. He's way cooler than Delphine for the mystical side of things.

And hotter, too. :whistles innocently:

• Love 1

I just got caught up on the last couple of eps.  This one really hurt.  I am a sucker for the moments when Mary and Catherine bond, so I totally lost it when Catherine went to get Mary to let go of Francis and Mary started sobbing in her arms.  

I am very curious about where they will go next.  Technically Mary would have to stay in France long enough to prove she isn't pregnant.  And I am very happy to have Catherine front and center for as long as possible, but I am also very curious how they will handle Darnley and eventually Bothwell, assuming the show lasts beyond this season.

I just got caught up on the last couple of eps.  This one really hurt.  I am a sucker for the moments when Mary and Catherine bond, so I totally lost it when Catherine went to get Mary to let go of Francis and Mary started sobbing in her arms.  

That was my favorite part. Francis' death scene was well done, too. I think I would have been more emotional about it (though I was), if he hadn't almost died last episode. For the first time in forever (maybe ever), Mary screaming and the funeral scenes reminded of the better Tudor/Elizabethan-set movies and TV shows. And the flashback to the pilot, when Francis and Mary first meet -- she looked so young, even though it hasn't been that long. 

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ive been watching the series for the first time in Netflix (started a few weeks ago). 

Damn that was sad. 

Why do they have Bash roaming around on all these side plots?!! Keeping him as the King’s Deputy was a good idea (and a good position at court for an illegitimate son) but he didn’t integrated at all with the rest of the cast. Still very gross that he and Claude slept together- why would the CW go there?!! 

Also I understand that Greer is working as a Madam now, but everyone’s just okay with her being back at court? Or was she pardoned after she assisted in diverting Conde’s coup?

Edited by Scarlett45