Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Chaos in the Cul-de-Sac

• Start Topic

If Caleb took the chewing tobacco out of his mouth during conversations and supposedly important scenes, like asking father's permission (barf) to propose to his daughter, I'd be able to take him seriously.

Maybe that's part of it.  I hadn't realized he had a wad of chew between his gums and cheek!  Gawd. 

Okay, so that excuses part of his social ineptitude.  There is something more, though, that doesn't seem right.  Robyn's observations regarding his "poker face" coupled with Kody's odd expression (and scowl) as she said this this made me wonder if they, too, harbor some reservations about the suitability of this "match," i.e. Maddie and Caleb.

It is a huge red flag, IMO, to see someone making little to no effort to socialize with his significant other's family, particularly in the initial stages of "courting."  My God, if he is this apathetic so early in the relationship, what on earth can be expected in the future?   It was awkward and infuriating to watch his total failure to respond to Kody's attempts at humor when telling the story about Robyn's father.  Adding insult to injury, the "double date" with the gregarious Logan and his girlfriend only served to underscore Caleb's indifference to making any sort of favorable impression on Maddie's family.  It was infuriating to watch him sit there, vapid and emotionless, as Logan attempted conversation.   

Caleb's willingness to provide support to his late brother's family seemed to provide ample reason for Kody's approval after Caleb put forth that eloquent request for Maddie's "hand."   Just goes to show that he does, in fact, know HOW to articulate his feelings and go beyond the dead-pan face.   It's just easier, obviously, to stuff a wad in your cheek and sit there like a stiff.  Ugh.

Maybe that's part of it.  I hadn't realized he had a wad of chew between his gums and cheek!  Gawd.  

Okay, so that excuses part of his social ineptitude.  There is something more, though, that doesn't seem right.   ...

I have a couple of theories about why Caleb was in "I don't really give a shit" mode most of the time.

Theory 1: Kody is a douche and it is hard for even someone who needs his approval to pretend to like him;

Theory 2. I suspect Caleb has heard a lot about Kody from his sister and her husband (Kody's brother) over the years and he thinks Kody is a moron.  And I think Caleb has probably realized Maddie doesn't require him to show any kind of special reverence because she has Kody's number herself (see Theory 1). So while Caleb is willing to tolerate Kody's idiocy without really being overtly rude for Maddie's sake,  he isn't inclined to work very hard to impress Kody or make friends:

Theory 3. Caleb thinks this TV show stuff is a bunch of nonsense and he is not into performing for the cameras.

• Love 11

And after a whole season of What will the Judge dooooooooo?????", the matter was essentially decided on the papers before they even walked into the Courtroom and the "hearing" was basically a formality for the record.

Don't hate! I'm hiring that guy to draw me into the Beatles Abbey Road crossing. Because, you know, I would've been there if I wasn't two years old . . . and lived in England . . . and knew the Beatles.

Ooooh! I wanna create a moment! I wanna create a moment!

Now what moment do I want to create... I'm torn between the moment I married Ryan Reynolds, the moment I won "who wants to be a millionaire", or the moment I kicked Kody in the balls. To hell with it I want to create ALL the moments!!

• Love 6

I have a couple of theories about why Caleb was in "I don't really give a shit" mode most of the time.

Theory 1: Kody is a douche and it is hard for even someone who needs his approval to pretend to like him;

Theory 2. I suspect Caleb has heard a lot about Kody from his sister and her husband (Kody's brother) over the years and he thinks Kody is a moron.  And I think Caleb has probably realized Maddie doesn't require him to show any kind of special reverence because she has Kody's number herself (see Theory 1). So while Caleb is willing to tolerate Kody's idiocy without really being overtly rude for Maddie's sake,  he isn't inclined to work very hard to impress Kody or make friends:

Theory 3. Caleb thinks this TV show stuff is a bunch of nonsense and he is not into performing for the cameras.

especially theory #2-  we only know what is 'out there' but Maddie has likely talked to Caleb a whole lot . Hence he may have his own feelings about the whole deal, trying to be polite and respectful because after all, it is her father- but he's not giving off the vibe that the are going to be hanging out, even if they weren't moving away. The way the camera kept panning from Caleb  "I love your daughter and want to marry her" all serious and then Kody with this s*t-eating grin and rubbing his hands together, he sort of looked all mwahaha.

So anyway was that the end of this season and then the same old Tamren interview stuff Sunday with everyone sitting on more sofas in another pretend living room with possible scary make-up like the other ones?

Maybe that's part of it. I hadn't realized he had a wad of chew between his gums and cheek! Gawd.

Okay, so that excuses part of his social ineptitude. There is something more, though, that doesn't seem right. Robyn's observations regarding his "poker face" coupled with Kody's odd expression (and scowl) as she said this this made me wonder if they, too, harbor some reservations about the suitability of this "match," i.e. Maddie and Caleb.

It is a huge red flag, IMO, to see someone making little to no effort to socialize with his significant other's family, particularly in the initial stages of "courting." My God, if he is this apathetic so early in the relationship, what on earth can be expected in the future? It was awkward and infuriating to watch his total failure to respond to Kody's attempts at humor when telling the story about Robyn's father. Adding insult to injury, the "double date" with the gregarious Logan and his girlfriend only served to underscore Caleb's indifference to making any sort of favorable impression on Maddie's family. It was infuriating to watch him sit there, vapid and emotionless, as Logan attempted conversation.

Caleb's willingness to provide support to his late brother's family seemed to provide ample reason for Kody's approval after Caleb put forth that eloquent request for Maddie's "hand." Just goes to show that he does, in fact, know HOW to articulate his feelings and go beyond the dead-pan face. It's just easier, obviously, to stuff a wad in your cheek and sit there like a stiff. Ugh.

My take on Caleb is he's a grown-ass man of thirty who has heard horror stories about Kooky Kody and his shenanigans from his family and now Maddie. I thought he was ok and enjoyed watching Kody squirm like a wormy puppy for a pat on the head. Usually that is Kodys MO. I think he just has zero tolerance for bullshit.And the only reason Robyn likely didn't care for him is he didn't kiss her ass or pay any attention to her kids.
  • Love 6

I'm not sure we can make any real evaluations of Caleb based on what would be carefully edited snippets from TLC.  He could have been totally obsequious to big daddy most of the visit and we'd never know.  Reality TV is no more real than any fictional show.

• Love 2

OK, not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes.  When will we know the outcome of the house/mortgage situation in the cul-de-sac?  They are supposed to have to re-finance pretty soon, aren't they?  Wonder how they will handle that.

OK, not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes.  When will we know the outcome of the house/mortgage situation in the cul-de-sac?  They are supposed to have to re-finance pretty soon, aren't they?  Wonder how they will handle that.

Denial, with claims of persecution perhaps?

• Love 1
that's the one aspect of this show that I was looking for and never got.  Where is the religion in all of this? At this point, I don't see any at all, which to me makes this entire situation all the more strange.

They don't strike me as religious at all. The mentions of faith at this point sound more like throw-away lines.

• Love 1