Type keyword(s) to search

OK Then, It's That Guy: The Cast In Other Roles

Milburn Stone
  • Start Topic

I knew I'd seen Angus Sampson (Bear) before, but I couldn't place him. IMDB solved the mystery. He was a series regular on a great little Australian TV show called Spirited.

Otto looked familiar, but I didn't realize that it was Michael Hogan, aka Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica, until it was pointed out to me. Otto losing the use of one of his eyes worked out pretty well, since Tigh lost an eye in BSG, therefore requiring Michael Hogan to get very good at acting with only one eye.

It's a running joke how Jesse Plemons always seems to get cast as unlikely murderers: Landry in Friday Night Lights, Todd in Breaking Bad, and now Ed in Season 2. I've heard he's quite good in the Lance Armstrong movie, The Program, where he (presumably) doesn't murder anyone.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I knew I'd seen Angus Sampson (Bear) before, but I couldn't place him. IMDB solved the mystery. He was a series regular on a great little Australian TV show called Spirited.

I remembered him from Mad Max: Fury Road, as the Organic Mechanic.

I remembered him from Mad Max: Fury Road, as the Organic Mechanic.

I remembered him from his appearance on Thank God You're Here. I always thought of him as a comic actor so seeing him here was such a surprise.

I remembered him from his appearance on Thank God You're Here. I always thought of him as a comic actor so seeing him here was such a surprise.

I'm not familiar with him, but that makes sense since a) this show has very intentional casting, and b) a lot of the show's energy comes from the juxtaposition of contrasts, such as Minnesota nice vs. ruthless killing, but also brutal violence vs. comedic farce. Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

Just for fun ...

I would like to propose a challenge to everyone here who watched Season 3. One of the major characters was V. M. Varga played by David Thewlis.

David Thewlis has appeared in other productions by the Cohen Brothers. At least, I should say at least one other production by the Cohen Brothers.

I would like to challenge you all here to remember just which character he played.

Here is a big, big hint. He was in the movie, "The Big Lebowski" (1998).  I doubt anyone would remember the name of the character. But can anyone describe just who he was or what role he played?

It's not fair if you use Google. That makes it too easy. I had to use Google. But please don't be a cheater like me.

Can you remember the context in which he appered? Just what was the nature of the character he played?

I must warn you all. This challenge is extremely difficult. Anyone who gets the right answer without cheating would be - IMHO - a repository of movie information to the highest degree.  The person who gets it right would have to be an absolute movie expert.  I couldn't do it - at least,  not in ten years time.   That is how difficult it would be.

Here is another major hint. The movie was made about 20 years before the TV season. But even so, it will be just about impossible for anyone to recognize the actor from that film. He looks nothing like the character in the TV episode from 20 years later. I wouldn't have recognized him for all the tea in China.

But, I will be very, very impressed with anyone here who is able to come up with the correct answer.

Have fun!

Bluxxy from  Biloxi

Edited by MissBluxom
(edited)

I'll play!  I can't remember his name but he was a friend of Julianne Moore's character (can't remember her name either).  When The Dude arrived,  Thewlis kept giggling and just added to the overall weirdness surrounding her.  The Dude even asked "Who's that guy?"  I wish I could remember her answer.

Edited by Razzberry
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

I'll play!  I can't remember his name but he was a friend of Julianne Moore's character (can't remember her name either).  When The Dude arrived,  Thewlis kept giggling and just added to the overall weirdness surrounding her.  The Dude even asked "Who's that guy?"  I wish I could remember her answer.

Yes. That is correct. He appeared to weigh about 70 lbs. Very bizarre transformation. But the Cohen Bros just do a great job making movies.

Thanks for playing :)

I don't know if this counts as "cast" but the building that was used as the hotel that Rabbi Milligan and Satchel stayed at in season 4 was just featured in an episode of Cheap Old Houses on HGTV (episode 5: "Playful Indiana Victorians"). I instantly thought it looked like something that could be in Fargo (stately brick home in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by snow), but didn't think it was the actual building until the owners confirmed it. It was pretty rundown when they bought it a few years ago and they give a tour to show all their renovations. It's beautiful! (The people in the pic are the show hosts, not the owners)

1235642577_FargoHouse.thumb.jpeg.618d79654a49f2ef83c463d7eaedc98c.jpeg

• Love 4