Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Palettes/Makeup

• Start Topic

Does anyone have any interest in these? Some are good value, some are great samples, some are collector's items.

Last holiday season, I bought the Chanel Camelia highlighter, which sits unused. Too pretty. Maybe this year.

Since some of my brushes are near the end of their lifespan, I picked up the Lancôme holiday set (also got the gift with purchase with it). Good value. I also picked up the Estee Lauder Give Every Colour palette. Similar to the Urban Decay set (I have the Nakeds), but with the snap-in case, making it ideal for work and travel. I still have the original 2013 palette, but find it heavy and cumbersome.

Sephora's Hourglass highlighter holiday set seems overpriced and tiny. Waiting to see what the Chanel and Dior collections are like (I have a gift card that I can use to buy Dior or perhaps Guerlain at one of the local shops).

Any treats? Any bad buys?

I just got the Sephora lipstick favorites. It's something like 14 lipsticks, some full size....entirely too much lipstick!  I've been wearing a different one everyday; I'm halfway through the pack and so far, I've liked them all, even the super bright, pink ones that I tend to stay away from.  

• Love 1

In years past I've picked up sets from FAB (First Aid Beauty) and Fresh. I like FAB for skin care, and their gift sets have regular-sized products so they are a good value. I've gotten a couple of Fresh lip are sets which were a good way to try different colors. I also love Fresh's advanced therapy lip treatment so I look for sets that include it.

It's Sephora's VIB rouge 20% off in early November so I'm going to scope out a few things to pick up.

• Love 2

Lucky for me, the nearest Sephora is a half hour drive. I am about $100 away from VIB status.

I have a lot of gift with purchase lipsticks to use up. I have been seriously cutting down on the 'gifts' and it's one gift per season per brand now. I would say that most of my GWP stuff ends up in a bag for the local women's shelter each holiday time, along with other bath and pampering goodies.

Two recent purchases were a Bite Beauty maple lippie (candied maple - the braised maple shade sold out within minutes), and one of the Estee Lauder new matte sculpting ones (a pretty pinky-plum shade - Unattainable). I really liked the YSL fall collection and ended up with the Pretty Metal eyeshadow palette, the violet sequins lip gloss, and the kajal eyeliner. Also got a Lancôme eyeshadow pen. I'm interested in some of the Kat Von D collection - a couple of eyeshadows and lipsticks and an Hourglass highlighter. I'm also checking out some of the ColourPop line. The Urban Decay Nakeds vault is probably a very good value in the US. Not so much in Canada.

Some of the Sephora line is very good, especially blushes. Luckyroll3, am glad you are enjoying your lipsticks.

MargeGunderson, I don't recall seeing much FAB here. Granted, each of our current three Sephora stores stock different brands.

For the holidays, I like to treat myself to one Chanel or Dior product, be it a lipstick or nail polish, or whatever. Dior has been hit and miss with its eyeshadow formula the past year or so and I have been disappointed with the quality and performance. I wouldn't mind a Dior Addict lipstick, but I need to find one I'd spend $42 on.

• Love 2

These are my crack. I got the LORAC Mega Pro 2, and am enjoying it a lot.

I also got the the BITE discovery kit. Pretty good, but two of the colors in the set are a bit too close to each other for my taste, the pencil in Glacé and the lipstick in Pepper. It is nice, cooler my lips but better, but kind of wish one of them were warmer or less close to my lip color.

These are my crack. I got the LORAC Mega Pro 2, and am enjoying it a lot.

I also got the the BITE discovery kit. Pretty good, but two of the colors in the set are a bit too close to each other for my taste, the pencil in Glacé and the lipstick in Pepper. It is nice, cooler my lips but better, but kind of wish one of them were warmer or less close to my lip color.

I also got the BITE discovery kit, when I got the Sephora Favorites lipstick collection (too many lipsticks!!!).  I haven't tried the 2 nude colors yet, cause they seem to be too light for me, but I'm looking for the right brown liner to pair them with.

• Love 1

I also got the BITE discovery kit, when I got the Sephora Favorites lipstick collection (too many lipsticks!!!).  I haven't tried the 2 nude colors yet, cause they seem to be too light for me, but I'm looking for the right brown liner to pair them with.

I think many women have the same issue with too many lipsticks.  Lipstick (as well as cheese and chocolate) is my crack. :P

• Love 6

I think many women have the same issue with too many lipsticks.  Lipstick (as well as cheese and chocolate) is my crack. :P

I think you are me. I have like a billion lipsticks but can never resist buying more. Urban Decay and MAC are my favorites. I have like eight shades of red lipstick and MAC's RiRiWoo is my absolute fave of that. I also recently bought Stila's Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Como. It's a bright purple color and I have to work up the nerve to wear it because it's not my usual thing, but it was so pretty I couldn't resist.

(Also I can never eat enough chocolate. Cheese is good too!)

• Love 4

The Lancôme holiday beauty box is really tempting. I think it's the train case that comes with it. As if I need more makeup and yet another bag. Many of my bags go to Goodwill or the local women's shelter.

I tend to collect lipsticks, nail polishes, eyeshadows. I'll have four or five fragrances on rotation - some are also more winter-oriented and those are reserved for November to about March. I also like fragrance samples. I do like the OPI mini polishes - just enough to keep me interested without having a ton of polish to use up.  I have a few red lippies - my favourites being Chanel's Pirate, and Tom Ford's Crimson Noir. I also like some vampire shades. We're only starting to get Tom Ford here - up until later this month, his line was only available at Holt Renfrew Toronto and maybe Vancouver and Montreal. I think Calgary's Nordstrom also carries it. Can't justify the $115 Louboutin lipstick. I can buy three or four good cheaper ones for that price. Maybe if it came with a refill for about $50.

I go through hit and miss periods with MAC. Too many collections.

forumfish, due to the low Canadian dollar value, our prices for a lot of stuff are higher.  I believe the US price is $99. Which is a serious indulgence for most people. However, there are many women who don't bat an eyelash at the price. I would use that kind of cash for groceries, or stuff I need around the house. Lots of excellent lipsticks at a quarter of the price or less.  More brands will now inch up to that pricepoint. I would really have to justify one as a luxury or as a special gift to myself. I couldn't even justify the $58 CAD for one of his nail polishes. I will buy one or two 'luxury' polishes per year, and normally just buy the OPI minis, Lippmann minis on sale, or what I can find at Winners/TJ Maxx.

I haven't even seen the Covergirl Star Wars collection here. I've seen the ads and display units in the shops, but the product was gone. I don't buy a lot of drugstore brands because of the fragrance and the dyes and lack of testers and lack of sanitation at said testers. Too many fingers.

Cosmetics don't have to be expensive to be worth it. I'm still quite happy with my Revlon lipsticks mix that I buy when I travel. And while I love some higher priced brands when I can afford them, I never have a problem with cheaper/drugstore brands. They might not have the amazing smell and texture of high end brands, but they are still effective. Maybe I believe so because one of my aunts, the eldest daughter on my mon's side, now in her late 70s, have used Oil of Olay forever, and looks like she's in her early 60s, and way younger that her younger sisters. So yeah, brand should not be a must, there is as good as in your supermarket beauty section. Brand is nice, for the luxiourous feel, but it's more a feel-good thing than a must have. IMO and YMMV.   

• Love 1

As someone who spends a bit on makeup (as evidenced by just recently beaming a VIB Rouge, SMDH!), $115 is too much for a lipstick.  That lipstick would need to have a vibrator, or something else designed to give me extra pleasure, attached to it!

• Love 3

I think it comes with a hole that you can string a chain through and wear it as a necklace/pendant.

The price does set the bar for other lines to say, hey, if someone is willing to spend that kind of cash, maybe we can come up with something like that.

I do skip drugstore foundations. No idea what shade I would be and bad lighting. Plus goopy testers, if any at all. I am also wary of some eyeshadow shades, and especially purple. I used to love that color, until the dyes changed. Now I get an allergic reaction. Mascara, pencils, nail polishes and some lipsticks, sure!

As someone who spends a bit on makeup (as evidenced by just recently beaming a VIB Rouge, SMDH!), $115 is too much for a lipstick.  That lipstick would need to have a vibrator, or something else designed to give me extra pleasure, attached to it!

Or made out of gold or diamonds.

Received my Chanel Rouge Noir polish (#18 - in the US it's Vamp) in the mail on Monday. I think I got a couple of items from the collection this year. Last year, I only bought the Camelia highlighter.

Saw the Urban Decay Vice 4 at the local Shoppers Drug Mart Beauty Boutique. At last, no boring browns/neutrals. Have plenty of those.

Holt Renfrew got the Tom Ford Lips and Boys collection on Friday and I treated myself to a shade, along with one for my sister for Christmas. $58 for a regular sized lippie is pretty expensive. A slightly smaller one for $39 is a bit more manageable. I can't justify the entire collection but one or two shades, maybe. A little treat for me. I normally use  some of my gift with purchase lipsticks. What I don't use is packed up and given to the local women's shelter each December. Also ordered a Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadow palette (the Rebel) which then allowed me to receive a free makeup brush set.

• Love 1

I think it comes with a hole that you can string a chain through and wear it as a necklace/pendant.

The price does set the bar for other lines to say, hey, if someone is willing to spend that kind of cash, maybe we can come up with something like that.

I do skip drugstore foundations. No idea what shade I would be and bad lighting. Plus goopy testers, if any at all. I am also wary of some eyeshadow shades, and especially purple. I used to love that color, until the dyes changed. Now I get an allergic reaction. Mascara, pencils, nail polishes and some lipsticks, sure!

I don't think I've purchased a drugstore brand foundation since I was in university.  Most drugstore brands don't make decent shades for mediumish East Asian skintones anyway.  I DO purchase foundations at drugstores, but only department store brands.  Plus I get points at Shoppers. Lip stuff, on the other hand is a different story.  I kind of have an addiction to Maybelline's Baby Lips.  As for palletes, etc, I recently purchased a Bobbi Brown shadow/lip gloss pallette, but I don't think it's available anymore.  I checked both Sephora and Holts! 

• Love 1

I don't think I've purchased a drugstore brand foundation since I was in university.  Most drugstore brands don't make decent shades for mediumish East Asian skintones anyway.  I DO purchase foundations at drugstores, but only department store brands.  Plus I get points at Shoppers. Lip stuff, on the other hand is a different story.  I kind of have an addiction to Maybelline's Baby Lips.  As for palletes, etc, I recently purchased a Bobbi Brown shadow/lip gloss pallette, but I don't think it's available anymore.  I checked both Sephora and Holts! 

I don't think I've used a drugstore foundation since my 20s. I'm clueless in terms of wondering which shade is right for me. Maybe someone has compiled a website with department store foundations and their drugstore dupes. I liken the foundations to some supermarket bulk bins - buyer beware as too many fingers have been visiting. Hence, the department store, or Sephora.

I am currently addicted to Essie polish. No more new lipsticks for me til I clear out my current gift with purchase stash. The local women's shelter is looking for holiday donations of various items, including toiletries, so I usually give a huge shopping bag full of stuff. I also like the OPI minis and whatever I can find at Winners.

The Shoppers Beauty Boutiques vary here depending on location. I was pleasantly surprised that the newest store nearest to me featured Urban Decay.

The Bay had 10% off cosmetics and fragrances last weekend. Picked up a Clinique All About Eyes (I use very few Clinique products - mainly only that and I've bought a CheekPop blush or two). Holt Renfrew has a 10% back giftcard promo this weekend. I'd rather just have the discount, thank you. A $5-7 gift card really doesn't go very far on full-priced apparel and accessories. My local Holt Renfrew is one of the smaller ones in Canada and we don't get certain brands. There is an upcoming move to a new location in 2017. Hence, ordering stuff online at their new Beauty site.

I have been eyeing the Bobbi Brown metallic eyeshadows for the holiday season. I will most likely make do with my Mac She Who Dares eyeshadow palette. It's old but I have only used a bit. I did have to buy new black eyeshadow base (Mac). My old one dried up fairly quickly. The BB ones have received mainly negative reviews.

Well, I wanted to get the Laura Mercier caviar stick set (matte to metals, I think it is called), but wanted to use a coupon, and it's sold out at Sephora and LauraMercier.com. Still available at Nordstroms, but I already have a number of cream eyeshadow sticks and can't seem to pull the trigger unless I got the set on sale. But I did use my 20% off coupon this weekend at Ulta for one of the It Cosmetics holiday sets - I got the Naturally Pretty Must-Haves, which includes a small palette of matte eye shadows with that pearl transformer shade, and a mascara. None of the eye shadows are repeats from the full-size palettes (not that it matters since I don't own any of them), and the reviews seem decent, so I'm happy with my purchase.

I like the naked line too.

One thing that's really pissing me off with Urban Decay though is they used to do Face Cases that had 4 shadows, 4 lip colors (like 2 glosses and 2 lip sticks in the pot) and a blush or bronzer. Those were great!!! I bought each time one would come out.

What happened to those???!

Also two faces used to make something similar and I'm having a hard time finding them too.

One thing that's really pissing me off with Urban Decay though is they used to do Face Cases that had 4 shadows, 4 lip colors (like 2 glosses and 2 lip sticks in the pot) and a blush or bronzer. Those were great!!! I bought each time one would come out.

What happened to those???!

I don't remember those, but the Naked on the Run Palette seems similar to what you described.  It has eyeshadow, lip gloss, mascara, and I believe blush.

• Love 1

I have Naked on the Run (ideal for travelling). It's a good idea but could use some better and less heavy packaging.

Eyeshadows, blush, bronzer, highlighter, lipgloss, eye pencil, and mascara.

The newer Lancôme palettes (My French Noel, Auda(city)) have the lipstick part covered up. A good idea to prevent eyeshadows from getting in to them. The Dior holiday ones, although pretty, don't have anything to cover the lipsticks. At $90 here for the big palette, a more practical package would be great.

I got the YSL Tuxedo palette in the fall (the Bay here had a $10 discount). Having hazel eyes, I struggle with a lot of neutral palettes and tend to favour blues, greens, and the occasional purple (minus those with a particular red dye that I am allergic to).

I liked the 'Give Every Shade' Estee Lauder palette that came out in October. Three snap-in interchangeable eyeshadow palettes. A really good idea. Less waste.

• Love 1

Some of the 2016 holiday palettes are starting to arrive. It's only early September! I like seeing photos but don't have much interest in them til early November. And seeing what my budget is and what I'd like.

Spoiler

No spoilers. Wacky computer.

Edited by Frozendiva
to try to delete 'spoiler' box.

There is a lot of choice out there. Sooo many makeup lines, so many palettes/collections. Depends what colours you like, size of palette (the kind you keep at home, one that is bag-friendly for touch-ups), and how much you want to spend. Drugstore? Mid-range? High-end?

It's not a holiday palette per se, but Huda Kattan announced last week that she'll be selling an eyeshadow palette very soon.  She's calling it the "Rose Gold Palette", but it appeared to have a wider range of colors that just rose gold, and when she swatched it the colors were INSANELY pigmented.  My only hope is that they sell it at Sephora, because the shipping costs from her website are insane (because I'm in the US and she ships from Dubai).  I went to order more of her liquid lipstick in colors that aren't available at Sephora yet, but couldn't pull the trigger because the shipping was more than the lipstick.

huda%20beauty%20rose%20gold.png

Ohhhh pretty colors! But I can't do glitter shadows - I'm allergic to them. 

I've got 4 good palettes.  And almost all of the pans are virtually untouched except maybe 3 or 4 shades out of each box where I've hit the pan.  I think I've learned my lesson in that I'm not as brave as I thought I was and when these are gone, I'm only buying singles.  Maybe Inglot.  Their website is fun to play around on.  Creating perfect palettes from several hundred shades available.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:42 PM, Petunia13 said:

I def need a new palette ? . Not necessarily one debuting this fall or winter, but one for fall or winter. 

My favorite palette that works for any season, is Too Faced Chocolate Bar.  I'm olive skinned and about an NC30.  Almost everything works in that box for me except the shimmer ones.  If you're really bold with your make-up, though, this might be too boring for ya.  What's your skin tone?

• Love 1

It's really good, imo.  I have brown/hazel eyes - like Jules Wainstein, only I am neither Jewish, nor Asian. :-)  And every color, except the two purples work on me. I have natural darkness under my eyes and anything purple or blue makes it look worse.  I'm more into neutrals anyway.

There is an olive green/gold shadow in that box that is gorgeous on brown eyes.  I find that Too Faced eye shadows have less fall out than the Urban Decay does, which sadly are 2 of my other palettes.  The fourth is Lorac Pro.  I kind of love that one, too.  Except for the blue shadow. 

• Love 1

Did you see they're coming out with a special "The Chocolate Shop" box for the holidays? (Though, it appears to be out now). Its some of the eyeshadows from The Chocolate Bar, new cocoa infused eyeshadows for the palate, bronzer, blush, luminizer, and deluxe samples of their eye shadow primer, melted lipstick, and Better Than Sex mascara. It's less than $10 more than The Chocolate Bar, and now I have a serious decision on whether or not to pick up this, or The Chocolate Bar palate. 

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

Did you see they're coming out with a special "The Chocolate Shop" box for the holidays? (Though, it appears to be out now). Its some of the eyeshadows from The Chocolate Bar, new cocoa infused eyeshadows for the palate, bronzer, blush, luminizer, and deluxe samples of their eye shadow primer, melted lipstick, and Better Than Sex mascara.

Thanks.  That's a nice buy and nice products.  Although I do not love the Better than Sex mascara.  It is not.  But maybe it will work for my niece whom I think I'm going to buy this box for, for Christmas.  She's in her late 20s and just starting to really pay attention to make-up. 

Now I just need to jimmy the Christmas drawing at Thanksgiving to make sure I draw her name out of the hat. LOL

• Love 2

I don't like the Better Than Sex mascara either!  To be honest, I don't love a lot of the "iconic" mascaras that always get talked about - DiorShow did nothing for me, neither did Benefit's It's Real.  Urban Decay's Perversion was only so-so.  I do like the Tarte mascaras though; the Lash Paint is my current favorite, but I also like Lights, Camera, Action.  

• Love 2
On September 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Petunia13 said:

Ha I was actually thinking of getting the chocolate bar. 

Im cool to neutral and medium to light medium. My skin is normal like sup normal.  No oiliness, no dryness, no breakouts or lines. My eyes are brown. 

It totally depends on what you are looking for in a palette, but I had the chocolate bar and would recommend against it. For me, I enjoy palettes bc they can offer a lot of variety for your buck. I have neutral to warm light skin, and on me almost all the browns looked the same and the purples were just kind of bad quality. Personally, it is not worth having 10 shades of brown that are very similar. Since you are cool, the Bon Bon bar might suit you better, and I feel it has more variety, making it a fun choice.

On topic, I am having a really hard time convincing myself not to buy the bite beauty lipstick set.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
A word
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Janet Snakehole said:

I have neutral to warm light skin, and on me almost all the browns looked the same and the purples were just kind of bad quality.

I'm NC30 skintone and swatching my arm here, all the browns look completely different on me.  I agree that the purples aren't great due to fallout, not because they're bad quality.  Shimmer shades are all like that (unless it's a cream) and need a different application than the mattes and the satins.  They remind me of every single Urban Decay shimmer eyeshadow I've ever tried.  Ya need a solid primer and then the shadow has got to be carefully packed on.  Not merely brushed or it's flying everywhere.  Got no time for that.

I'm also not a fan of the shimmers because I'm either allergic to heavy shimmer or the dye used to make certain purples and pinks.  My lids get itchy.

That said, Bon Bon looks similar to Chocolate Bar Semi Sweet but without the heart shaped pans.  I can't wake up to heart shaped pans. LOL

I think the new naked ultimate basics palette coming out later this week looks so so cute. I know the urban decay shadows could longer wearing and have a lot of fall out. I just really like the butter yellow shade ? And the 2 taupe, and burnt orange. 

seriously I need so much makeup. 

Hey @Janet Snakehole and @Princess Sparkle I ordered the Chocolate Shop and a KvD blue red lipstick from Sephora! I saw Chocolate Shop had mixed reviews on the site  and watched a review video as well. I was torn between that and the Tartist Pretty Paint Box Palette (which also had bad to mixed reviews). I felt since I ordered this for bringing to work it's ok if there's not a ton of staying power. I still will probably buy another palette from a different brand. It was weird most palettes on the site had a fair amount of naysayers. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Let me know how you like it and what you think about it!  And which KVD lipstick did you go with - I think I own all her reds (including the limited edition Project Chimp one), so I'm curious which one you got!

I freaking love the Project Chimps red. As a PSA, it is a great red that does not pull orange or fuschia if you have issues with that as I do. And Kat Von D makes the only liquid lipsticks that don't make me feel like my lips will crack after wearing them.

I ended up skipping the Bite set as I am drowning in nude lipsticks. Instead, I cashed in my ulta points and got the Lorac Mega Pro 3. I am hoping it has the same quality of the permanent palettes.

I would love to hear opinions on the Ultimate Basics. I am more into matte shadows lately, but have seen mixed reviews. Those mauvey tapes though......

• Love 2

Petunia13, I was looking at the Tarte palette too but decided against it because of the mixed reviews. Usually I love Tarte products.

I went a little crazy this weekend and got the Naked 2 palette, Too Faced's Boudoir Eyes, and the new Hourglass  Ambient Lighting Edit. I had a bad week so I bought makeup. 

• Love 2

@Janet Snakehole I completely agree. I am Native American and my skin runs cool to neutral because of my skin tone but because of my genetic enthnicity I also have actinic prurigo which flushes my cheeks & chest when I get sun exposure (I get the bumps and rashes on my elbows and knees and knuckles often but my face will flush like I'm embarrassed after sun) so I am careful about my lip shades clashing. I find KvD is excellent in creating shades that work on cools and people of color and people I know who have roseacea. 

I def think I'm getting an additional palette this season seems like the time to stock up. I keep thinking of the Huda Beauty one posted. @MargeGunderson I totally agree when your feeling 'meh' or annoyed some new stuff or a rocking face give you an extra 'ooomph'. I work retail & somedays I feel shitty due to certain coworkers or corp patriarchy and I feel better when at least I present a put together package. It sounds dumb but it's important for us to care for ourselves, each day give ourself a little gift, as Dale Cooper said on Twin Peaks. I actually get a lot of positive comments when I do bold lip or smoky eye.... Like it gives off an impression of liveliness, warmth, or authority. 

The Huda Rose Gold palette was released today, and even if the website hasn't crashed, I don't think I can pull the trigger on it yet. It's $65, which I would consider since the colors are so pigmented, but because it's shipping from Dubai, shipping costs are another $25. I can't spent $90 on a palette. Hopefully it'll make its way to Sephora. 

• Love 1