Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Palettes/Makeup

• Start Topic

So I tried out the palette briefly. The colors can be more pigmented also I did my face at work which has horrid lighting (I work in a supermarket). The color I was most most excited about  Sugared Raisin  was blah ?. A lot of the shades seemed like geared towards a paler person. The liquid lipstick was really weird looking on its own on my lips. What I did was remove it completely and used a micro dot of it as a hi light on my lower one the smudge it. Also it didn't go with the colors in the shadow kit really in matching or theme, they should have put one berry shaded or cherry colored. 

Tried the KVD lippie and it was pretty and has good staining power it stained my lips. i need to try it with a lip liner tho her liquid lipsticks need a precise hand. 

• Love 1
On 10/1/2016 at 9:50 AM, Petunia13 said:

So I tried out the palette briefly. The colors can be more pigmented also I did my face at work which has horrid lighting (I work in a supermarket). The color I was most most excited about  Sugared Raisin  was blah ?. A lot of the shades seemed like geared towards a paler person. The liquid lipstick was really weird looking on its own on my lips. What I did was remove it completely and used a micro dot of it as a hi light on my lower one the smudge it. Also it didn't go with the colors in the shadow kit really in matching or theme, they should have put one berry shaded or cherry colored. 

Tried the KVD lippie and it was pretty and has good staining power it stained my lips. i need to try it with a lip liner tho her liquid lipsticks need a precise hand. 

liners are best, but if your lips are big enough, start with the bottom then the middle top.  Then use what's left on the wand to trace the edges of lips.  Real makeup artist cheat like hell and just use a small brush lol.

• Love 1

I saw an UD Vault in person once.  It was pretty remarkable.

Love lip stains because I hate reapplying lipstick.  Gimme a good stain in the a.m. and a semi-glossy lip balm to keep in my pocket for touch ups and I'm good to go.  I'll check out the KVD line.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, emma675 said:

Petunia, which KVD lip did you try? I'm always on the look out for a good stain.

Vampira. Kat V D is very very artistic not just as a tattooist but in painting sculpture ect and I wonder if that is how she comes up with such pretty shades that are so flattering . I'm buying metalmatte palette soon. I'm just waiting for a rewards week I like lol. 

• Love 2

I take it back. It wasn't the UD Vault I once saw, it was the UD Mother Lode. When MargeGunderson said $300, I didn't think that sounded right for the one I saw.  

Mother Lode was $600.  Can you imagine??  And they were sold out before they hit the shelves. Those are full size, individual pots of eyeshadow, with a little empty palette in the middle that you could take out and put your favorite four in.  Mother Lode was an appropriate name, dontcha think?

URBAN-DECAY-The-Mother-Lode-Shadow-Set-t

• Love 1

I bought the "give me lip AND liner" set that came out last wk at Sephora today. Two of the shades are gorgeous. Two I already own the YSL rouge pur and the cruella crayon so prolly gonna regift those. One by Estee Edit  is a color change mood lipstick it's weird. I tried it over a nude matte dried liquid lipstick and it looked stupid. 

I still might buy the "gimme some lip BOLD" too soon. 

Edited by Petunia13

It's shipping. Now I'm going to say something maybe controversial that might be the issue with the palette influencers are experiencing....

i often use my fingers for applying base shadows and lid by my lash line color. And many aren't. 

I'm going to say something even more weird but IMHO fingers pull a lot of product, it's like a textured and sensitive cheese spreader utensil, and brushes are long soft fibers that pick up product, but dust them and don't feel the surface they are on. Also they have oils and brushes, even clean (honestly who cleans them after every single application?) retain residual product. Hence fingers give a fast "pow" This is why gurus use them to swatch IMHO esp if they got the product for free or are plugging it for $ or bandwagon reasons; they know it'll look intense or fuller than if they used the tool subscribers would be applying it with.  

The swatches by gurus are so inaccurate in general for any shadows because it's w fingers and also on hand or inside of their arms. The skin of my eyelid is not the same condition or shade of my arm or hand. Why this practice is commonly accepted of hand or inner arms swatches by fingers is beyond me. 

• Love 2

You're supposed to use your fingertip for lip colour swatches.

In terms of holiday blockbusters:

I still have Estee Lauder's give every colour palette from last year. The portfolio this year was okay, the blockbuster is now featuring a lot of skin care. Still a pretty good deal for $80 CAD.

I liked Lancôme's train case blockbuster last year. Don't mind some of the new colours this year, but it's the same brushes. Not a bad deal at $75 CAD.

Elizabeth Arden's is all right. The brand has fallen a bit out of favour and is seen as old and stodgy.

The Dior sequins eyeshadow palettes are now arriving. The smoky one reminds me of a previous Chanel one I have that I still have not touched. I always like a Dior holiday lipstick. Not sure of the new lipgloss/cheek colour.

Chanel's 'holiday' line doesn't do much for me. I don't need another smoky palette.

I wanted to give my opinion of the Huda Rose Gold eyeshadow palette since I've played with it. Many reviews are negative. My opinion is contrary; I give it a B+.  I mentioned in another thread I have experience applying shadows w my fingers for yrs so that didn't faze me, I have some technique w that on my eyes. I also think the condition of your skin oiliness or dryness and if your lids are hooded or have lines are a consideration w the users who blasted it. I have very normal skin. I have used the foiled shadows and the mattes in palette. They performed rather well. There was some staying power.

I think the colors were made for me. It's all the hot fall shades just beautiful and compelling stuff you don't see everyday. Even the neutrals and mattes have an intriguing tone. They aren't typical muddy shades. So many critique the cost, even Stephanie Nicole. Now, I am a grocery store employee, I don't make 6 figures a yr like those who complained about the price. But i spend more on each of my perfumes than the cost of the palette by far and probably would get as much use or more. Plus it's 18 shades and if I bought drugstore stuff it wouldn't be in those creative colors or formulas and still for 18 total be only slightly less. It's a limited edition palette, when it's gone it's done,  so I can recommend trying and then seeing for oneself. 

I do find it strange Huda defines herself as a guru who reviews luxury cruelty free makeup and this is not cruelty free. That makes no sense. 

I don't completely mind the packaging. I think it could be sturdier and more luxe. Not just for aesthetic reasons that one would expect at that price pt but I am concerned about a shade shattering. I carry this in my tote w the 150 things a woman w two jobs and family drags around w her .

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 2

Thanks for the review and yours might push me to skip buying it.  I have crazy oily, hooded lids (to the point where if I used colored eyeliner, it could look like I'm wearing eyeshadow), so applying shadow with my fingers went out the window awhile ago.  I'm worried that the textured shadows (the big draw of the palette for me) would be basically a no-go on my lids.  Bummer, because the colors look gorgeous. 

This might make me pick up the ABH Modern Renaissance palette though since a lot of the colors look quite similar. 

Yes ABH Modern Renaissance shade Venetian Red is similar to HB's Maneater. The Warm Taupe looks a bit like HB's Bae. The textured metal shadows are so completely unique I encourage anyone to swatch them. They are very soft and almost fiber-y. The mattes and two satins are creamy. The HB palette contains no talc. I think my feelings for it grown since I have used it since I got it and like rocking these new looks it provides. 

I think the ABH Modern Renaissanace palette is beautiful. I'm thinking gifting it to my mother. 

Huda aluded to another eyeshadow palette coming. I wonder if the different one will be another color range like all jewel tones...or if she gonna do one w no metals. I know if she does one with pastels I'm not buying it lol. 

Oh, those are pretty! Sephora has the White Chocolate available today for VIB Rouge. Also for VIB Rouge a Hourglass Ambient Strobe Lighting Blush in shades Incandescent Electra, Brilliant Nude, Euphoric Fusion. I'm eyeing it but should probably pass as the Hourglass blushes never look as nice on me as they should for the price. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Also at Sephora Canada.

And Sephora US ! 

The next palette i am buying is Better Together or a second Huda Rose Gold if it ever comes out again/becomes unsold out (which I doubt.) after that a viseart maybe I've never owned a viseart palette 

1 minute ago, Petunia13 said:

And Sephora US ! 

The next palette i am buying is Better Together or a second Huda Rose Gold if it ever comes out again/becomes unsold out (which I doubt.) after that a viseart maybe I've never owned a viseart palette 

I think the Canada one is now sold out! I have the YSL smoky one, so I really don't need it. I'll be around a Sephora store tomorrow, so we'll see. Still have a 10% off code (for renewing my VIB status).

I have an Estee Lauder give every shade palette set, so I don't need anything, really. My new Charlotte Tilbury Glamour Muse should do nicely.

Viseart always gets excellent reviews.

• Love 1

Yea I think instead of getting the kat Von D better together palette and I'm getting a viseart one. I don't like Too Faced eye shadows anymore. I actually only like their liquid lipsticks, shadow insurance or glitter glue, 1 bronzer & DUH the better than sex mascara. They don't make foundation in my shade and no cools  ?And their highlights don't apply smoothly. The pigments aren't well milled and settle in the skin weird...I have good skin and it looks uneven & exaggerates  pores. Can't imagine how it is on older skin or acne prone or scared faces. The kat side of the shadow palette I have those shades or dupes.

So essentially is be buying the $65 palette for deluxe sizes of the mascara ($12) and tattoo liner ($18?) which I own both already ...and for the cute packaging. It's cute but seemed like a pain to tote since it's a big magnetic heart. 

I would rather this year grow in my brand selections and colors if I get palettes and get a Natasha Denona and viseart. The smashbox shapemakers is on sale and calling my name also since it's just a deal plus has contours in it and I def need to work on my contouring techniques w diff formulas 

Ordered the smashbox lighting theory palette and its shipping wed. I also ordered a lip balm. 

While on the phone w customer service ordering shopping in store came up and unmentioned I've had sales people who were phenomenal and so helpful...but honestly I don't like to buy in store as much because I feel profiled and the rep completely agreed and said she knew exactly what I meant. 

Anyone else make any palette purchases? 

I got the Dior smoky eye palette for Christmas and haven't really bought much. I need some Clinique All About Eyes, but I am waiting for the upcoming GWP. Bought some cheaper Olay eye cream to tide me over. Looked at the new Chanel Coco Code collection but remain undecided. More interested in the new lipsticks coming out around Chinese New Year.

I tend to buy  my Sephora stuff online. Not due to profiling (which is wrong on many levels). Just fed up with the rude customer experience I've encountered a few times. Women pushing and shoving me out of the way to get something. Don't need it. If they want that item so badly, they can have it. Utterly appalling behaviour. Maybe they were tourists, I dunno.

• Love 1

I bought Urban Decay's Moondust palette because I am a magpie and I have a weakness for sparkly things. In the reviews on Sephora's website, people have complained about the eyeshadow flying everywhere and not having great pigment, but that has not been my experience. I just use eyeshadow primer and my finger to apply and it's been fine. Really pretty colors and sparkle. I've also used some of the colors over base eyeshadows and it's pretty that way too.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1

The smashbox master class : lighting theory palette is really good. I like it has almost everything and a huge variety and that the palette breaks apart. I also like the creams are separate from the powders and the inside tops of the palettes are clear like a z palettte or typical higher end artist oriented palettes (Huda, viseart, Natasha D) 

Best of all is it contains no talc but still is soft and a dream to blend. The wear on the shadows and highlighter lasted over 12 hrs. the highlighters and concealer were v subtle. I asked the fishmonger at my work what she thought of it and she said she liked how the shadows blended into an ombré and the concealer and highlight were natural. 

GlamGlow Glowstarter Mega Illuminating Moisterizer is now available in 2 more shades: Pearl Glow and Sun Glow. I have it in Nude Glow and it's wonderful. You can wear it on its own for a casual no makeup day or layered under foundation. Besides the gorgeous look, it has a nice scent and it moisturizing without greasiness. 

Friday I felt my coverage a tinge too heavy so I patted a bit of this on top of foundation on my cheekbones and it softened my look. I'm going to buy the new Sun Glow shade. 

I'm ordered the Viseart Petit Pro and I'm so excited. The next palette I buy I'm pretty sure will be a Natasha Denona Palette 5 in number 13.  I'm not the worlds biggest green shadow fan but pinja calls my name. The umber shade is mysteriously pretty. 

(I also ordered some lipsticks and skin care)

The viseart petit pro is absolutely amazing! I heard the mattes are the same as the ones in the big palettes. The shimmers are v foiled which is common in the smaller palettes. But no kick up or fall out! The shimmers in the big ones are more satin finish. For thirty dollars this was a steal considering the amount of product you get and how expensive it normally is for the quality of this brand. I definitely envision buying a big one like the "dark mattes" or "cool mattes" soon. Even the color compositions are unique. Like the colors seem more curated or from a design perspective even the nudes. I like they don't have standard or "safe" palettes either. 

I also really enjoy my new bite lipsticks they are pigmented and moisturizing af. I love the color range. The darker ones have staying power. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Too Faced have announced their 2017 holiday collection and it insane and insanely expensive. The Chocolate Vault features 3 x full-sized palettes, 2 x mini palettes, three melted chocolate lippies and three chocolate bronzers. It retails for $225 and will be available at toofaced.com October 1st and at Sephora later that month.

And I am really struggling to figure out who this is for. Generally speaking no one needs three shades of bronzer and it is unlikely that anyone really needs, or can use all the chocolate bar palettes. The only thing I can think of doing with it is buying it to divide it up and give as presents and that sort of defeats the purpose. Then again I'm not really into the chocolate series so maybe this is just my personal bias.

Source: The Gloss

Edited by Jac
added the link

Some people are collectors. I have a couple of Chanel items that I haven't er, used, yet.

If someone has friends who would use the palettes, it makes it $70 - still a lot of money, but... it might work if all the friends like the palettes that you don't. I bought the Lancôme holiday train case set the other year and have used almost all of it!

People may also think it is a great gift for a makeup lover - makeup for a year or so!

• Love 1

So the new Dior holiday 2017 stuff is coming in - the two eyeshadow palettes have my name on them - one is Ruby and one is Emerald. The reds and pinks are a bit of a change for me, and I am a sucker for the elusive green.

Got a sneak peek look at the holiday Estee Lauder blockbuster. Some nice ideas including mini eyeshadow palettes that come with their own blush. Fits nicely in the handbag to take to work for touch-ups or just leave at work. Decent lipsticks and glosses. Advanced Night Repair. What I didn't like was the cheap case. Haven't bought the blockbuster in a few years but the cases used to be sturdy and useable. I noticed it just seemed to be cheap plastic. Same as the recent gifts with purchase that come with cheap, disposable bags. The Lancôme one seems a bit better and has a train case.

The holiday palettes are a nice idea but many are just huge and cumbersome to carry. I have to touch up my makeup at work - taking public transit and being out in the wind and cold makes my makeup mess up. I simply do not have the space in my bag for a large clunky palette.

• Love 2

I got an e-mail that holiday makeup/gift sets are out at Sephora.

I didn't buy any makeup gift sets but did get the Briogeo hair mask gift set (the Don't Despair, Repair! mask is in a sweet honeybear container as part of that set...)!

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I got an e-mail that holiday makeup/gift sets are out at Sephora.

I didn't buy any makeup gift sets but did get the Briogeo hair mask gift set (the Don't Depair, Repair! mask is in a sweet honeybear container as part of that set...)!

Thanks for the heads up! I love the gift sets to try new things. 

• Love 2