Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Down the Mississippi

Who the hell are Sketchy and Skeezy ?  Have we even seen them before because I sure don't recognize their names.  Have we seen any of their schemes/scams before ?

How the hell would Escorpion (I thought his name was just Scorpion) even find the group ? Especially since Vasquez isn't likely working for him anymore.

• Love 2

Sketchy & Skeezy were weapons dealers in the pilot episode & at the FU-Bar.

Back in May, showrunner/executive producer Karl Schaefer said:

Sketchy and Skeezy will be back. We have a great Mississippi River episode that they’re featured in with 10K, kind of a whole Huckleberry Finn thing that we’re doing.

https://tvgeektalk.com/news/showrunner-karl-schaefer-talks-z-nation-getting-a-super-sized-season-2-and-whats-to-come-exclusive-bts-photos/

• Love 2

Sketchy & Skeezy were weapons dealers in the pilot episode & at the FU-Bar.

Back in May, showrunner/executive producer Karl Schaefer said:

https://tvgeektalk.com/news/showrunner-karl-schaefer-talks-z-nation-getting-a-super-sized-season-2-and-whats-to-come-exclusive-bts-photos/

Wow -- that was 13 episodes ago or so that we last saw them.  Now that I've seen them, I recognize but the names didn't ring a bell at all.

Another episode with lots of 10K, but they pretended he was a mute for most of that.  Thought for a moment that 10K might actually find a girlfriend, but nope.

I have to say that I was unimpressed with the 'Mighty Mississippi' -- looked more like a creek.

No sign of Citizen Z .. again.  Weird.

Sketchy and Skeezy ending the episode like Butch and Sundance was pretty good.

I'm still waiting for the giant cheese wheel to make a reappearance.

• Love 4

I've been so bored this season. I used to find this show dumb-fun, but now I just find it dumb-dumb. I don't know if it's me or the show.

Apparently they get a kick outta the "10k gets a girlfrien-- nope! never mind" gag.

• Love 5

Well, it's  great joke, isn't it? Look how funny it ended with Cassandra.

Seems like by now somebody might point out that Murphy was largely responsible for getting her killed. 10K was afraid for his life, because she was not lightening up on the attack. Did Murphy even leave instructions about bathroom privileges? Then how the hell was that not supposed to end badly?

I wanted to like the Sketchy story. I spotted the King and Duke reference right away, and I did like their Murphy scam. But most of it was a huge, transparent, badly written waste of screen time. 

I thought Southern Dandy Guy was not only ridiculous, but also extremely over-written. Why the hell would he assume that the truck drivers delivering to Burrtown didn't know what it was called?

Scorpion Guy was actually kind of fun this week, though. Maybe because he was the only actor in the scene showing a little bit of subtlety.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

Hmmm...this episode was kinda all over the place.  Some of it I liked; some of it I didn't. 

What I liked the most was Doc's determination to find 10k. 

Also, it was nice to know that there are still some people who are concerned about getting their teeth cleaned in the ZA.  I get that.

God, I love these guys (Sketchy and Skeezy). Especially when Scetchy? Skeezy? was pleading his case to the Zeros. I hope that they will continue as recurring characters :)

Oh yeah, I can't wait for George R. R. Martin next week. Z Nation isn't afraid of killing off beloved characters either....

• Love 2

I'm getting worried about 10k though.  This is at least the second time that I thought he was a goner.  I'm worried about Doc, too.

Yeah, the core group is dropping like flies. Citizen Z must have landed another gig. Or I hope D.J. Qualls is okay, he always looks so fragile.

• Love 2

I thought the whole thing was damn hilarious.  Sketchy and Skeezy did Mark Twain proud, IMO.  The part where they convinced those rednecks to let Skeezy bite them absolutely slayed me.   I live in St Louis, and I'm already used to Hollywood's version of "the mighty Mississipp" being a creek like setting somewhere far from the Midwest, so I have to give that the usual hand wave.   Doc about made me cry.  He's my favorite character.

• Love 2

I'm beginning to hate Murphy,  I fully expect him not to be "the cure" if/when they get him to California.  If he isn't, I hope they (whoever is left) get rid of him.

I am beginning to wonder about Citizen Z.  Hope we see him next episode.

Vasquez and 10k sure are purty, even though they don't look anything alike.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I'm beginning to hate Murphy,  I fully expect him not to be "the cure" if/when they get him to California.  If he isn't, I hope they (whoever is left) gets rid of him.

I am beginning to wonder about Citizen Z.  Hope we see him next episode.

Vasquez and 10k sure are purty, even though they don't look anything alike.

I agree on Vasquez and 10K, but I love Murphy, he's doing comedy and drama equally well.

• Love 2

The good: 

Gotta love Doc.  His love for 10k was one of the redeeming factors of this episode.  

Murphy's always been a narcissistic a-hole, and Keith Allan plays him beautifully. 

Butch/Sundance ending was probably the best-shot part of the show.

The Huck Finn angle was nice, if not really well-executed.  

The Bad:

Dentist opening was stupid, but heck, remember that idiot biker taking his own blood pressure in Dawn of the Dead?  

Whoever's in charge of location failed miserably.  They've never, ever seen the Mississippi.  Love how everyone's telling Doc he "can't make it across" on a canoe when it looks like you could cross to the other side on foot without getting your belt wet.  Lazy as hell.  

The Zeroes had zero reasons to be in this episode (see what I did there?).  Seriously, wtf did they have to do with that town?    

Last episode made me feel like the writers are giving up.  This episode hasn't made me feel better.  

• Love 2

Did they show what happened to the young woman 10K was interested in in this ep? Sorry if I may have missed it in this thread,. The young woman who showed mercy to her second husband at the end of the ep? That was the last I remember seeing of her.  I I liked her and was hoping we'd get to see some more of her in future episodes as a romantic interest for 10K.

Did they show what happened to the young woman 10K was interested in in this ep? Sorry if I may have missed it in this thread,. The young woman who showed mercy to her second husband at the end of the ep? That was the last I remember seeing of her.  I I liked her and was hoping we'd get to see some more of her in future episodes as a romantic interest for 10K.

Apparently she stayed in Burrtown -- hopefully to set the place on fire and watch it burn.  She wasn't with them getting into the car on the bridge.

I'm mainly hanging in because I want to see Roberta and Vasquez get it on.

Citizen Z must have landed another gig

Per IMDb DJ Qualls has a significant role in Amazon Studio's production of The Man in the High Castle. He was probably not available as much for Z Nation.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode.  It was ridiculous. The dentists at the beginning were hilarious - though why catch the living when you can just round up some actual zombies?  But it was funny. 

And 10K was pretty.  

But I, too, missed the cheese wheel.  I hope it turns up again soon.  

Vasquez is gross. I'm so tired of him bossing everyone around. Doesn't he know that Roberta is in charge? I liked Doc standing up to his macho crap. I was afraid we were going to lose 10k. So glad I was wrong. I have lost enough on the zombie shows this week. (hes not dead, I won't believe it) I saw DJ Qualls on The Man in the High Castle this weekend, maybe Citizen Z just stepped out to fight Nazis for a bit.

• Love 1

The best thing about Sketchy and Skeezy was the Butch and Sundance ending.  I had to fast forward through some of whichever one's interminable speeches.  I was curious about the dentist opening and ended up being disappointed that it was just to make zombies.  Yawn.

Got it show, everyone down south is a dumb redneck.  I live in the NE, I'm not taking it personal, but it's boring.  Can we go with something else now?

I'm glad 10K mercied Cassandra last ep since the show wasn't giving her any agency like I hoped.  Murphy being pissed about it is annoying.  Yes, I know he's a selfish asshole but he's been getting on my nerves a LOT.   He didn't "give her life" he just made a robot he could order around.  Roberta needs to punch him soon. At least the hideous baby is gone, though I didn't like what he did to that couple either. 

Doc was the best thing about this episode.  I know the show is meant to be goofy/serious but the last couple of weeks it's felt like they were surprised about the second season or something and had no idea how to move the story along.   I don't want it to be Walking Dead (one of those is enough!) but something is missing for me this season, not quite sure what. 

• Love 3

Yeah, the "southerners are dumb" schtick is completely disingenuous to the show itself.

Have they already forgotten where half their main characters are from?

Actually, do we know where any of them are from?  

I feel kinda weird saying this (considering that I'm black), but using zombies as slaves didn't seem like a terrible idea.  I would've gone a step further than the southerners and removed their teeth or jaws (thank you Michonne).  A defanged zombie would make a great beast of burden.  No need to feed them or care for them.  

• Love 3

I think Roberta was part of the Georgia National Guard, and Doc was a local. So, I believe, were 10K and Addy.

Roberta lived in Illinois.  This crew has never even been in Georgia.  The furthest south they've gone is Missouri.  And there are plenty of dumb country rednecks in Missouri, as Mark Twain and I have experienced while living here.  lol 

http://www.syfy.com/znation/maps/

• Love 1

Yeah, the "southerners are dumb" schtick is completely disingenuous to the show itself. Have they already forgotten where half their main characters are from?

Roberta Warren is from Castle Point, Missouri.

Cassandra was from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Murphy was in prison in Maine.

Addy is from Albany, New York.

Doc, 10K, and Mac were first seen in upstate New York (with Addy).

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

Got it.

I think I over-assumed a bit from that joke in the pilot about the ex-cop living in the nearby prison.

And also, the route they've taken now looks slightly less nonsensical.

Emphasis, of course, on the word "slightly."

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

God, I love these guys (Sketchy and Skeezy). Especially when Scetchy? Skeezy? was pleading his case to the Zeros. I hope that they will continue as recurring characters :)

And the funniest of the cases used by Sketchy was Dred Scott vs. The City of Sacramento--which apparently was his goofball mangling of Dred Scott v. Sandford.  I figured he was full of shit when he was running off the names of those other cases but I knew that he was full of it when he used The City of Sacramento and I lauuuugghhhed.  I'd really like to see those nuts again.

• Love 2