Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

There is a blurb in EW with a quote from one of the EPs stating the Laurel is partners with both the Arrow and Oliver. That sounds like there is more to the business partner quote in the catch 'em and cook 'em. 

.......seriously?

I withhold all judgment until I watch the first episode.... I feel like this is slowly becoming my mantra as more annoying info about certain characters get released. If this is true though, then I am not amused.

AhyRi.gif

• Love 7

There is a blurb in EW with a quote from one of the EPs stating the Laurel is partners with both the Arrow and Oliver. That sounds like there is more to the business partner quote in the catch 'em and cook 'em. 

I'm refraining judgment but I can't say I'm surprised. It's a way to get her more involved in all story lines. You know, I really do want them to redeem Laurel's character because I want to enjoy all aspects of the show but it's not going to help by shoe-horning her in everywhere.

*Breathe* Back to holding my judgment until October 8th! 

Are they saying Oliver and Barry are going to fight? Why? That makes no sense based on their relationship so far and the Flash pilot. What is this obsession with first pitting heroes against each other only to have them then team up. 

Unless I'm reading it wrong which is possible because it's early and I'm still mostly asleep.

It could be that they just come to blows with how to handle joining teams? They'll both have a specific way with how their own teams catch the bad guys and maybe they have trouble meshing everything/everyone? I can see Barry maybe doing things differently to Oliver. And then it all depends on whose turf they're on, you know, 'you're in Central City now, we do it my way' and Oliver not liking that? I don't know. I don't see how else they could fight otherwise.

• Love 2

I can see that.  Barry has his own powers and is developing his own team so  he would want to do things his way and Oliver has never, ever been willing to take orders, or even advice, from someone else.

Edited by statsgirl

They're going to own Verdant together, and it's going to piss me off.

*trying desperately to withhold judgment*

• Love 6

In the High Speed Chase trailer, there's a condemned sign outside of Verdant. So I'm thinking that Verdant isn't even operational, at least in the beginning of the season.

I think that condemned sign is in front of the foundry, which is kind of next to Verdant. IIRC, that sign has always been there, way back when Oliver first jumped over the fence and set up shop in the first ep.

LOL -- okay. OKAY. I'm trying REALLY HARD not to let my inner Lucille Bluth take over...

giphy.gif

How can Laurel possibly co-own a business with Oliver? Reasons why I don't like this and why this shouldn't happen:

• Laurel is a lawyer with no knowledge of how to run a business. I'd get if she was a corporate lawyer but she isn't
  • Laurel has no money. This is quite obvious considering she works for the government and before that a non profit
  • If she's so serious about lawyering, how in the world would she have time to co run Verdant? Being a prosecutor isn't a 9 to 5 job
  • Isn't she supposed to be training to get one step closer to being BC? How in the world will she have time to do that?
  • If both Oliver and Laurel have little to no time running Verdant they'd run it to the ground
  • Logistically it makes no sense
  • LAUREL WAS AN ALCOHOLIC. It's so unrealistic that she would own a club LESS THAN A YEAR after calling it quits with alcohol
  • And the worst is that Laurel would then have complete access to the foundry :'( 

I really really really hope this isn't true. 

Pardon the reaction gifs. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8

• Logistically it makes no sense
  • LAUREL WAS AN ALCOHOLIC. It's so unrealistic that she would own a club LESS THAN A YEAR after calling it quits with alcoho( 

Just saying that Thea was a alcoholic and drug addict and only 19 and she owned Verdant :P But that didn't really make sense either lol. 

Just saying that Thea was a alcoholic and drug addict and only 19 and she owned Verdant :P But that didn't really make sense either lol.

I don't think she's involved with Verdant, didn't the spoiler about Thea's LI (the DJ) imply a professional/romantic relationship. Seems like Thea will be back running Verdant by 307. Edited by Morrigan2575

I hated Thea managing Verdant too partly because of the loving alcohol thing, and partly because she was 19. But at least Thea had nothing else to do all day so she actually had the time to run it and also we didn't really get to see Thea run Verdant as much so it didn't grate my nerves. Laurel co-running Verdant unrealistic to anyone living in this world where there are only 24 hours in a day...

@apinknightmare, even if she does co-own verdant, she really does have no business being in the arrow cave. I mean, what could she possibly do there? OH GOD I hope she's not there to train...

Now I'm sort of glad we weren't subjected to Laurel spoilers the whole summer. Eugh this is just bad... 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Thea used to drink when she was 17, but so did a lot of us.  It may be that she took drugs because her friends had them; the one time we saw her take Vertigo it was because she was angry at Moira.  There were lots of stressful times in s2 but we never saw her take a drink or drugs to deal with them.  That argues against her being a addict.

I don't think she owned Verdant. She ran it when Oliver left for Lian Yu, but if she had owned it Isabel wouldn't have been able to take it away.

And the worst is that Laurel would then have complete access to the foundry :'(

Maybe that's part of wanting to be like her sister -- the leather jacket, the fighting crime with Oliver, the being a part of the foundry/Verdant.

I wish they would realize that taking away what makes Sara and giving all her stuff to Laurel isn't going to make people like Laurel more.

Edited by statsgirl

When was Thea an addict? I know she did drugs and drank but I don't recall her being an addict or an alcoholic.

Oliver did catch her cutting coke (or crushing pills, I can't remember) with one of her friends when he first came home, and she had that incident with Vertigo. Not sure I'd call her an "addict" per se, but she definitely dabbled.

When was Thea an addict? I know she did drugs and drank but I don't recall her being an addict or an alcoholic.

Yeah you're probably right. Most people I've talked to refer to her as a former  drug addict so I guess I just caught on. 

Still her running verdant made no sense seeing as she was 18/19. 

Oliver did catch her cutting coke (or crushing pills, I can't remember) with one of her friends when he first came home, and she had that incident with Vertigo. Not sure I'd call her an "addict" per se, but she definitely dabbled.

Yeah but doing drugs or drinking doesn't make one and addict or alcoholic.

I remember her drinking and doing drugs but that was part of her Party Girl/lost girl storyline where she was acting out over Oliver's return, and all the emotional crap they wrote for her in S1.

I always thought that S1 storyline was kind of dumb and trying to make her Paris Hilton or something from Gossip Girl.

I didn't like the whole running Verdant thing but I know in my state you can serve Alcohol at 18 even though you can't drink it. I also know someone who took over running the family restaurant at 18 so his father could go back to just being the chef. It's not exactly the same since one is a club and the other is a restaurant with a liquor license but it's similar enough that I could live with Thea running her brother's club with help from her 22 year old boyfriend.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Yeah but doing drugs or drinking doesn't make one and addict or alcoholic.

I remember her drinking and doing drugs but that was part of her Party Girl/lost girl storyline where she was acting out over Oliver's return, and all the emotional crap they wrote for her in S1.

That's why I wrote that I wouldn't necessarily call her an addict.

It doesn't seem that Thea ever considered herself one, and Laurel went so far as to enter into a 12 step program. Any sponsor worth their salt would vehemently advise against entering into a partnership for a bar. But here I am, injecting reality into a superhero show.

Maybe it's not Verdant, but that makes the most sense out of anything since it would allow her to be in close proximity to the foundry (and Oliver).

Edited by apinknightmare

Since Berlanti wants to keep the lair in the foundry, they're going to have to get back/keep Verdant somehow.  It doesn't make sense for Laurel to have money socked away since she was unemployed but I can see them writing her as having the savings to help Oliver keep Verdant.  Coming from blackmail, most likely.  I think having Laurel hang around the Arrow lair is more likely to cause a backlash than anything else, but maybe they haven't learned their lesson after all.

Still her running verdant made no sense seeing as she was 18/19. 

She seemed a lot more efficient at it than Oliver had been, hiring staff, making sure there was enough liquor on the shelves, organizing various functions.  It makes sense that she would have learned to run things from Moira, who sat on committees, and maybe from dinner conversation with Robert.  There are some very competent 18 year olds.

Other than her Year of Teenage Rebellion, there wasn't anything to suggest that Thea was an addict, and neither Robert nor Moira were, unlike Quentin and Laurel.

• Love 2

So you're trying to say that Thea, who showed barely any responsibility in season 1,  running  Verdant makes more sense than Laurel? None of it makes sense but, at least they`re being consistent lol (IF this is actually the direction they go in, which I don`t think it is) 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

So you're trying to say that Thea, who showed barely any responsibility in season 1,  running  Verdant makes more sense than Laurel? None of it makes sense but, at least they`re being consistent lol (IF this is actually the direction they go in, which I don`t think it is) 

I just wonder if it's not Verdant, what other business could it be? A previously unheard of and hidden Queen asset that needed a little start-up cash? Verdant logically makes no sense for the characters, but it does make sense for proximity/plot reasons, which is why I do think that's it. I've been worried about it ever since the director of the second episode tweeted a bts photo of Laurel and Oliver in Verdant.

Edited by apinknightmare

I just wonder if it's not Verdant, what other business could it be? A previously unheard of and hidden Queen asset that needed a little start-up cash? Verdant logically makes no sense for the characters, but it does make sense for proximity/plot reasons, which is why I do think that's it. I've been worried about it ever since the director of the second episode tweeted a bts photo of Laurel and Oliver in Verdant.

mm tbh I think you guys are reading too much into it and it`s just Arrow catches then and Laurel brings justice. 

• Love 4

I never considered Thea an alcoholic - she dabbled and much of her behavior in S1 was the typical TV version of spoiled, angry rich girl. Considering what happened at the end of S1 and all of S2, I'm shocked she didn't self medicate more.  I think she ran Verdant in Oliver's absence.  Owned it? No.  Enter the stupid storyline of Isabel bankrupting the Queens and giving Thea the paperwork that showed Verdant was finished.

I agree with all of these, strongly:

How can Laurel possibly co-own a business with Oliver? Reasons why I don't like this and why this shouldn't happen:

•     Laurel is a lawyer with no knowledge of how to run a business. I'd get if she was a corporate lawyer but she isn't
  •     Laurel has no money. This is quite obvious considering she works for the government and before that a non profit
  •     If she's so serious about lawyering, how in the world would she have time to co run Verdant? Being a prosecutor isn't a 9 to 5 job
  •     Isn't she supposed to be training to get one step closer to being BC? How in the world will she have time to do that?
  •     If both Oliver and Laurel have little to no time running Verdant they'd run it to the ground
  •     Logistically it makes no sense
  •     LAUREL WAS AN ALCOHOLIC. It's so unrealistic that she would own a club LESS THAN A YEAR after calling it quits with alcohol
  •     And the worst is that Laurel would then have complete access to the foundry :'(

Inserting her into the lair is ridiculous - she has no business being there whatsoever, especially if she's the DA.  While the Arrow is no longer #1 Most Wanted, it's still not wise for the DA's office to be seen getting all that help from a non-police source.  Unless Starling City operates under a funky kind of law.

Which brings to mind, a non-relevant point: I don't think Starling City has ever been established as being an American city or Canadian.  Now I'm just curious...

I hope Oliver insists that Laurel keep her distance from the lair.

• Love 2

I think it does.

1.  Laurel already has a full-time job in the DAs office.

2. Laurel isn't the best administrator.

3.  Thea wasn't given any responsibility in s1.  Moira and Robert tended to baby their children too much.

4.  Thea did a good job of stepping in and running Verdant when Oliver took off.

5.  Laurel is a drug and alcohol addict.

6. Thea dabbled in drugs and alcohol but stopped after the car accident.

If I have to,  I can accept Laurel buying into owning the foundry and Verdant because Oliver needs the cash to keep the building (Walter, where are you when we need you?), but not running it. Never running it.

I agree with all of these, strongly:

Which brings to mind, a non-relevant point: I don't think Starling City has ever been established as being an American city or Canadian.  Now I'm just curious...

I hope Oliver insists that Laurel keep her distance from the lair.

Oliver already told Laurel to keep away from Team Arrow in the finale and we know how that went. I doubt telling her to keep away from the lair will be any more successful.

I think Starling City is in the U.S.  Their money is all green.

Edited by statsgirl

I`m sure if they have Laurel run it she`ll do a great job just like Thea magically did in season 2. What I`m saying is that it wasn`t very realistic for her to do such a great job since she was babied so much by her parents and was just overall a huge party girl and irresponsible in season 1, but the writing demanded for it. 

Anyway apparently the main promotional poster is supposed to be released this week. Who do you think will be on the cover?

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 2

Saying this from personal experience: alot of times when something big happens in your life - in Thea's case: finding her mother was part of the plan to wipe out the glades and its people, which killed Tommy (someone she obviously cared very deeply for), than her mom being in jail (prison?) and her brother running off- the least likely people can raise above what is normally expected of them and showcase incredible inner power and maturity.

I mean look at Ollie- party- boy- cheater-Queen, the guy ended on an Island after sara drowned (or at least he thought she did) than watching his father kill someone only to put a bullet in his own head, went through hell and back (multiply times) and during that first year managed to raise above his old life image because conditions dictated he had to. same with Thea.

i have no hard time accepting that when push came to shove Thea took on the responsibility of running the club (because running QC would have been truly not-believable) until oliver would come back. someone had to, Thea probably had alot of experience with the clubbing scene. so yea, not hard to accept at all.

• Love 4

I would have an easier time believing that Thea, who had few previous responsibilities (except maybe clubs at school) but a family background in administration, stepped up after a tragedy and took over the club, than Laurel, who has already demonstrated she's poor at administration, can run two jobs successfully.

• Love 1

lol I think you guys are just letting your Laurel hate blind you. Laurel running the club is just as believable as Thea. She a 30 year old woman who is obviously a hard worker and has overcome her struggles from her past. She also has a professional career, which requires hard work. You guys just don't like Laurel. :P Thea partied all the time, disobeyed her parents, was babied all the time. skipped class,  did drugs, drove while on drugs, had a criminal record, was only 18. Sure she could have stepped up but so could Laurel. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 3

I would have an easier time believing that Thea, who had few previous responsibilities (except maybe clubs at school) but a family background in administration, stepped up after a tragedy and took over the club, than Laurel, who has already demonstrated she's poor at administration, can run two jobs successfully.

Maybe she's just a silent partner who infused a bunch of cash that we were never aware that she had.

• Love 1

had a criminal record,

This more than anything would have prevented Thea from running the club Liquor Licenses are a bitch to get and easy to lose, turning your day to day over to a 19 year old with a record? Yeah no. Did I care about Thea running the club? Yeah no. Do I care if Laurel is involved with Verdant? Yeah no, and there is no way in hell it's more absurd than Thea's doing it.

• Love 2

This more than anything would have prevented Thea from running the club Liquor Licenses are a bitch to get and easy to lose, turning your day to day over to a 19 year old with a record? Yeah no. Did I care about Thea running the club? Yeah no. Do I care if Laurel is involved with Verdant? Yeah no, and there is no way in hell it's more absurd than Thea's doing it.

The only problem I have with Laurel doing it (because I can seriously handwave the rest of it), is the fact that she's an alcoholic who's fresh in recovery. IF Verdant's the thing, maybe the show will surprise me and they'll mention her struggle to remain sober while being a partner in a business that she invested in (LOL) because she wanted to help Oliver. I just worry since they had her saddle right up to the bar in one of the eps shortly after she entered AA without it even being an issue.

Eh, I just never really bought Laurel's "addict" arc in the first place, so I can't begin to care if they're not paying attention to how someone in recovery would or would not behave. Plus hell Sam worked at Cheers, as long as they have Laurel mention something similar to Sam's rationale I honestly give no fucks.

• Love 1

I will believe it when I see it about Laurel being actual business partners with Oliver, but maybe so. But as far as running the club, the biggest difference between Laurel and Thea is that Laurel already has another full time job in the DA's office. Running Verdant was Thea's full time job, and as far as I could tell she wasn't going to college either. Maybe Laurel co-signed or something to get the building back (and thus get the Arrow cave back) so she might technically be considered a part-owner, but I'll be really surprised if she's actually running the club. And from the spoiler about the new DJ boyfriend, I think maybe Thea's going to be back running the club sooner than we might have expected.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

. And from the spoiler about the new DJ boyfriend, I think maybe Thea's going to be back running the club sooner than we might have expected.

This is why I don't think Laurel's running the club. 

This is why I don't think Laurel's running the club. 

But Laurel doesn't have to run the club to be a partner in it. She just needs to invest money.

Eh, I just never really bought Laurel's "addict" arc in the first place, so I can't begin to care if they're not paying attention to how someone in recovery would or would not behave. Plus hell Sam worked at Cheers, as long as they have Laurel mention something similar to Sam's rationale I honestly give no fucks.

Yeah, most people probably won't care. I've just been around my fair share of alcoholics, so shitty handling of addiction storylines always bother me (and not just on Arrow).

Laurel investing in the building makes more sense than running the club, although where she would get that kind of money (blackmail!) after having student loans and being unemployed for months, is a stretch.  At least then she wouldn't be on-site all the time as she would if she were running the club. But I wouldn't put anything past Super Laurel.

I've been looking up various sites but I can't find anything that says that Thea was convicted of criminal charges.  Oliver asked Laurel for help and she got her father to call in some favours and Thea ended up with community service and probation. That suggests a misdemeanor rather than a criminal charge.

She wouldn't just like Oliver didn't have time to run Verdant while running QC...

or even while he was The Hood. First Tommy ran the club, and then Thea did.

I've decided to reserve judgement until I see the opener. I can't really think of anything that would make sense and I might make myself angry and/or disappointed if I put too much thought into it.

The cast photo was supposed to be on the Arrow Facebook page right? I'm really annoyed that it hasn't been released. 

• Love 5

I like foundry and Laurel is a snooze fest for me, the minute she enters a frame, my mind wanders off to things like making grocery lists and weekend errands lists and the people I have to call. I don't want the Team Arrow scenes to be spoiled by me wondering if I have to buy bathroom cleaner this week or washing detergent! This is the reason why Laurel's absence from foundry, the arrow lair and the club is so very important to me.

• Love 1

Laurel investing in the building makes more sense than running the club, although where she would get that kind of money (blackmail!) after having student loans and being unemployed for months, is a stretch.  At least then she wouldn't be on-site all the time as she would if she were running the club. But I wouldn't put anything past Super Laurel.

Didn't one of the EPs say at CC (or in some interview) that Laurel would be in the foundry "from time to time" or something? It seemed like she was going to be there, just not all the time, or often, IDK.

Edited by apinknightmare

The cast photo was supposed to be on the Arrow Facebook page right? I'm really annoyed that it hasn't been released. 

yes I am very mad haha. Suzanne Gomez said it would be posted in in the MORNING on the Arrow facebook group, and still nothing. Last years it was released in August lol. 

Who do you think will be on the cover? Last year they didn't have Paul Blackthorn or Susanna Thompson. Also what order do you think they'll be in lol. (I'm such a nerd) 

Edited by ban1o