Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

SUMMARY OF 412 SPOILERS:

S4, Episode 12: Unchained
-- Production code: 412.  Director: Kevin Fair.  Airdate: Feb. 3, 2016. (MG tweet, page 26 of Spoilers thread)
-- 412 synopis: "ROY HARPER RETURNS; NYSSA MAKES HER MOVE -- The team faces off against a formidable villain nicknamed The Calculator (guest star Tom Amandes). Meanwhile, Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) makes her move and Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) returns to Star City. Kevin Fair directed the episode written by Speed Weed & Beth Schwartz (#412). Original airdate 2/3/2016." (ComicBookResources article, page 28 of Spoilers thread)
-- MG's Billy Joel song pick for 412 was "Only the Good Die Young". (MG tweet, page 30 of Spoilers thread)

-- See 412 promotional pics posted. (TVLine article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 412 comic preview posted. (WM tweet, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 412 extended CW promo posted. (412 extended promo video, page 30 of Spoilers thread)

-- See 412 Calculator/O&F promo posted. (412 promo video, page 30 of Spoilers thread)

-- See 412 Roy promo posted. (412 promo video, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 412 Jack promo posted. (412 Jack promo video, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 412 Canadian promo posted. (412 Canadian promo video, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- See 412 Australian promo posted. (412 Australian promo video, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- 412 dialogue tease: "Problem is, I’m a one-patient man - and I’m already committed to you." (ArrowWritersRoom tweet, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- The Calculator (TA) uses his advanced skills in computer science and internet manipulation to blackmail Roy (CH) out of retirement to do his bidding, which leads to an epic battle with Team Arrow.  He is set to appear in two episodes, beginning with 412.  (TVLine article, page 26 of Spoilers thread)
-- On whether the Calculator is Felicity's father, WM: "“Definitely tune in... We are very excited about this character. He does have a connection to Felicity. We’re just really thrilled. Tom Amandes has been amazing in the role and is bringing a lot of kindness and a lot of malice to this character.” (EW article, page 29 of Spoilers thread)
-- Roy will only be in one episode (412).  He'll have scenes with the whole cast and with Thea.  (MG tumblr posts, page 26 of Spoilers thread)
-- On Roy's return, WM: “Whenever we bring people back, we always have a very specific character reason in mind... He’s going to have a really cool and emotional story with Oliver and Thea.” On the Calculator, WM: "There’s a connection there... It may not be what people are thinking, but there’s definitely a connection.” (TVLine article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- WM: “The real impetus is that we wanted to see where he’s landed, what has happened to him... And when we find him, just like Oliver in 410, we find him slipping back into some old habits, but with some surprising reasons for why he’s doing what he’s doing.” (Variety article, page 29 of Spoilers thread)
-- WM: "Roy will be coming back to the show in a very surprising way. He'll be, like Oliver, sort of falling back into some old habits. We just actually cut that episode and there's a scene between him and Thea that will hopefully make everybody cry, it's just amazing. Colton and Willa [Holland] are just gangbusters together onscreen." (ComicBookResources article, page 29 of Spoilers thread)
-- On Roy's return in 412, CH: “It's really exciting, it's also really sad towards the end. Something really sad happens... You get to see Roy just be super ecstatic. Not kind of moany-groany like he used to be. He's super stoked to be back in the fold. He's getting the hang of things again, kind of picking up pretty quickly. He's just really happy to be there and actually to work with Oliver and work with the team again. It fits in so cohesively, the way they've written the storyline, and it's just going to make fans excited.” Per CH, the “sad” thing has to do with love and relationships. (IGN article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- CH: “I come back to help the whole entire team and it's great because he really takes charge. It's not just following what everyone else is saying. He really does take charge and do things on his own, which is really cool, which is what he wanted from the get-go. They trust him." (IGN article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per CH, he’s “positive” that we’ll see more Roy down the line, and he hopes that he’ll show up at least once more before the end of the current season. (IGN article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- Nyssa (KL) will be in 412. (TVLine article, page 29 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per WM, Nyssa “is going to take on Malcolm in a really ambitious and full-scale way, and she’s going to be asking Oliver to do some pretty dark things."  Also, the topic of Nyssa’s onetime lover Sara’s recent resurrection won’t come up in the “gangbusters” episode - partly because “she is off time traveling on Legends.” (TVLine article, page 29 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per KL, Nyssa makes her move against Malcolm this week, and her revenge mission is partially motivated by what Malcolm did to Sara. KL: "I think that was the final straw. The League of Assassins and the way it was being run by her father over the years had become increasingly more dark and sinister the more he used the pit. And then between trying to destroy Starling City and eventually bringing back Sara from the dead, knowing she would never be the same person and sort of damning her soul forever, not knowing that there was a Constantine out there. I think that was the final straw for Nyssa - that abuse of power the League of Assassins seemed to be having within itself and then amongst the world. I think with the instruction of Sara Lance a few years ago, her outlook started changing and her perception of the League of Assassins' role in the world started to becoming more and more negative." (TV Guide article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- On how Nyssa will attempt to take down Malcolm, KL: "There will be epic fight scenes, for sure. But she needs to go on a little bit of a journey before she actually runs into Malcolm and confronts him. There are a couple things she needs to do along the way and I think the audience will be shocked and a little confused. She has a confrontation with Tatsu. They have a great fight scene, so I'm excited for that. But yeah, lots of fighting and lots of manipulation. We'll see if she eventually gets what she wants." (TV Guide article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- Per KL, we'll find out in 412 if there's anyone in the LOA who's still loyal to Nyssa and how that affects her journey. (TV Guide article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- On how Oliver or TA become involved in Nyssa's plan, KL: "They are completely immersed into her plan. Whether or not they are willingly immersed into it or just being forced into becoming part of her plan is yet to be seen. But they are definitely very much integral in her plan to become Ra's al Ghul." (TV Guide article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- On how Nyssa would be a different Ra's al Ghul, if she became the new Ra's, KL: "I think the introduction of Sara Lance into her life, and then eventually Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), it just brought an aspect of compassion out of Nyssa that had never been nurtured before, nor encouraged by her father or any member of the League of Assassins. I think finding love and learning about the different shades of black and grey and white in the world, and that everything isn't right or wrong, do or die. I think that she'd become a more compassionate leader. I think she would definitely lead by example. I don't think that she would do the initiation process of destroying the city that she came from, which, ironically, is Nanda Parbat. I don't think that she would necessarily stick to a lot of traditions of the League of Assassins. I think she would go out and forge her own." (TV Guide article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)

-- KL: "I hardly have any scenes with John. I'm in pursuit of him. Barrowman is on my mind. Most of my scenes are about trying to get to him. You'll see what she goes through to accomplish that. Nyssa does eventually reunite with Team Arrow in a very unexpected way. Again, it will be interesting to see how people react to her once she reunites with them." (ComicBookResources article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- KL: "Pretty much up until this point, she's been locked in a dungeon and plotting how to get out and how to kill Malcolm Merlyn. Vengeance is very much in the forefront of her mind and ambition. But there's a beautiful and very interesting respect that Malcolm and Nyssa have for each other. Even though they are now sworn enemies and rivals -- and Malcolm knows that Nyssa is very much in pursuit of the title, and that at any moment she could strike -- because of their shared history, Nyssa won't strike him when his back is turned. And he doesn't try and kill her when she's sleeping in the dungeon. Watching the next couple of episodes will be a lot of fun." (ComicBookResources article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- KL: "Between Laurel and Nyssa, the two of those girls have such an amazing relationship. It's complicated, based on loss, friendship, regrets and love. I do have a beautiful scene with Laurel. The two work wonderfully off of each other, but there's so many layers to it. The way the writers crafted that scene is quite spectacular." (ComicBookResources article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)

-- On how much we'll get to see Nyssa and Laurel together over the next two episodes (412 and 413), KL: " I think it's next episode, Katie Cassidy and I have a wonderful scene together. ... It's a very beautiful, sad and yet intimidating scene. I'm really excited for fans to see it and to see what the fan reaction is." (TV Guide article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)
-- Katana’s next appearance promises to be “surprising.” WM: "We loved that Tatsu last season kind of evolved into [Katana], so we’re really excited about her return. It was great to have Rila [Fukushima] back and to see that character again, but it’ll be kind of a new, surprising way that we do it.” (TVLine article, page 30 of Spoilers thread)

Episode 412 or 413
-- On Nyssa making her move in an upcoming episode, WM: "Nyssa has had a long-standing feud with Malcolm (John Barrowman) definitely since episode 403, but it also predates that. She’s going to be basically putting a knife in Malcolm’s back for the rest of the season, and really changing the nature and the context of the League of Assassins as a result." (EW article, page 29 of Spoilers thread)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I know I know I'm being petty so absolutely no one has to tell me but damn just Laurel opening her mouth and making a suggestion to Felicity about something technically related just irks me beyond measure! Otherwise I love everything about that scene! 

• Love 3

Source

ArrowWritersRoom:

Sounds like a resounding YES! on the #DialogueTease! Here we go:

"Problem is, I’m a one-patient man - and I’m already committed to you."

Huh?

Referring to the dialogue tease tweet posted in the spoiler section, I put it at the top of this post. Guess its not really a quote of the day... Sorry for the confusion. :)

• Love 1

I have no idea who would be saying that dialogue tease or to whom.  If it's Oliver, it comes off as callous regarding Thea.

CW PR should not be calling the new lair "Foundry 2.0".  The new Arrowcave is not anywhere near the foundry, but in the basement of Oliver's campaign office building.

S1 - Arrowcave is in old QC foundry.

S2 - Arrowcave is in old QC foundry, with backup lair in secondary, unidentified location.

S3.5 - Arrow(less)cave is in basement of Palmer Tech.

S4 - Arrowcave is in basement of Oliver Queen's mayoral campaign headquarters.

• Love 1

Referring to the dialogue tease tweet posted in the spoiler section, I put it at the top of this post. Guess its not really a quote of the day... Sorry for the confusion. :)

I didn't even see it in the spoiler only thread, thought both links were to the Roy teaser scene. My Bad

I know I know I'm being petty so absolutely no one has to tell me but damn just Laurel opening her mouth and making a suggestion to Felicity about something technically related just irks me beyond measure! Otherwise I love everything about that scene! 

I thought it was another death omen for Laurel - she's now so in-tune with Team Arrow, she can anticipate what Felicity is going to do.

Or maybe it's just another demonstration that she's really fitting into the team now.

My reaction to Roy in the sneak peek: 

tumblr_m046plobhI1qcpghno4_r3_250.gif

Ugh could you imagine how great the show would be if it was Oliver/Diggle/Felicity/Thea/Roy in the Arrow cave? Thea/Roy team ups in the field, Oliver/Diggle, Roy/Oliver... T_T 

• Love 15

I thought it was another death omen for Laurel - she's now so in-tune with Team Arrow, she can anticipate what Felicity is going to do.

Or maybe it's just another demonstration that she's really fitting into the team now.

Why would it be a death omen?

Man, how many times will poor Roy have to fake his death? I'll burst out laughing if the Calculator doesn't buy it for a second. Wow. Same trick again? Get some immagination.

It truly is great to see him there. I agree that 'I love the Internet' (sing it) and 'Really?' were the best parts.

I don't want it to be, but Felicity and Laurel's exchange was awkward. Including the girlfriend bit.

Thea obviously can't be too badly off. No one seems worried about her.

Or as I like to think just the writers once again trying hard to make Laurel relevant and instead just pissing off some fans of the show. I really don't know what they can do to make Laurel fit in or if she ever really will? Every time there is a scene involving Laurel my first thought is:

giphy.gif

• Love 8

The scene is cute though. And I can deal with the little Laurel and Felicity are no so tight that Laurel can anticipate what Felicity wants even tech wise. This is a team that has worked together since the summer. It just doesn't feel like a natural team yet. It's weird to me.

Laurel is the scene is kind of like she is in her fight scenes. Too up right and wrongly fit within the team. Her aura is just not the same as the other team members. Laurel needs to loosen up her body and move and even stand more natural.

• Love 1

From the Colton Haynes interview:

“It's really exciting, it's also really sad towards the end. Something really sad happens,” Haynes teased. “You get to see Roy just be super ecstatic. Not kind of moany-groany like he used to be. He's super stoked to be back in the fold. He's getting the hang of things again, kind of picking up pretty quickly. He's just really happy to be there and actually to work with Oliver and work with the team again. It fits in so cohesively, the way they've written the storyline, and it's just going to make fans excited.”

This freaked me out because it sounded like Roy was going to die.  And then I read

Haynes said that he’s “positive” that we’ll see more Roy down the line, and he hopes that he’ll show up at least once more before the end of the current season.

so whew.

Is the sad thing to do with Felicity's father?  Or Thea?

I'm still mad at the show, so I refuse to watch any clips they give me.... I refuse to be bribed by hope for better things. But reading your posts make me look forward to watching the episode & Roy. Never thought I would be looking so fwd to the return of Roy.

I really admire how you guys are potentially setting yourselves up for disappointment at practically hyper speed now.

:)

The more I hear 'Because Comics!' and 'She can't be killed!" the more I want to dig my heels in. LOL

I'm like 11.

• Love 12

I really admire how you guys are potentially setting yourselves up for disappointment at practically hyper speed now.

I'm going to be super disappointed... But the hope I feel right now will feel good while it lasts :') 

I wonder what KL means by intimidating though... hmm

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

The more I hear 'Because Comics!' and 'She can't be killed!" the more I want to dig my heels in. LOL

I'm like 11.

That still makes you 1 year older & wiser than MG. So it might be an epic battle of heel digging.

• Love 3

I think my level of disappointment will depend on who they kill instead of her. If it's Quentin, I will be somewhat annoyed but not surprised. If it's Thea, I will be upset. If it's Diggle.....I will very likely not watch the show anymore. I mean, I know I've said that before, but that might actually be my for real breaking point.

• Love 13

LOL I keep thinking the night the death is confirmed - those of us who aren't disappointed are going to have to host a group therapy thread.

• Love 5

LOL I keep thinking the night the death is confirmed - those of us who aren't disappointed are going to have to host a group therapy thread.

Well, to be fair, if it's Diggle that's killed we're going to need a goodbye thread and not a therapy one because I don't think anyone on this board will likely watch the show again if he's the one in the grave :p

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 12

I think my level of disappointment will depend on who they kill instead of her. If it's Quentin, I will be somewhat annoyed but not surprised. If it's Thea, I will be upset. If it's Diggle.....I will very likely not watch the show anymore. I mean, I know I've said that before, but that might actually be my for real breaking point.

I would have a hard time watching if they killed Diggle as well.  He might not be my absolute favorite character (though maybe he is - I haven't thought about it), but I'm not sure I can imagine the show without him.  Not even if Curtis started playing a bigger role.

Of the characters I can imagine losing without it bothering me, I would say Lance, Laurel, and Thea*.  But under NO circumstances do I want to see Thea die.  If Willa ever wanted off the show or they wanted to shrink their cast, I would be ok if they shipped Willa off to marry Roy, but I don't want her dead.

Well, to be fair, if it's Diggle that's killed we're going to need a goodbye thread and not a therapy one because I don't think anyone on this board will likely watch the show again if he's the one in the grave :p

I really am operating under the assumption that it's Lance.  I was slightly worried about Diggle for a couple of days, but I've talked myself out of that. :)

• Love 2

We had practice last season when it turned out to really be Nyssa that Oliver married and not Felicity. 

It's SOP now.

I would hate it and I would never stop bitching about it, but honestly, I'd still be watching. I might have to take a break for a while, but I'd come back as long as Felicity is on.  That said, I really don't think it's going to be Diggle.  That would be epically asinine. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I love you guys, but you're weak for Olicity. Give them a good heart-eyes scene post-Digg grave, and you'd all be there for it.

I would hate it and I would never stop bitching about it, but honestly, I'd still be watching. I might have to take a break for a while, but I'd come back as long as Felicity is on.  That said, I really don't think it's going to be Diggle.  That would be epically asinine. 

I'd just watch the videos online a la Olicity Queen :p

ETA: Or what @Chaser said

I love you guys, but you're weak for Olicity. Give them a good heart-eyes scene post-Digg grave, and you'd all be there for it.

EXCUSE ME. THIS IS WHAT YOUTUBE IS FOR :p

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

I'm not a hard olicity shipper so it would bother me more.  I might be able to handle it if Diggle left Starling with Lyla and Sara to seek out a safer life or go into witness protection or whatever - but I would be really pissed if he was dead.

And on that note - do we believe that "it's a real death with consequences" fully rules out a fake death and witness protection angle?  With them having Laurel prosecute DD and people saying that's what should happen to BM and kid - is it totally without question that all this death crap would be total BS?  I know that would be two fake deaths of two major characters, but I assume that like Roy this would mean major consequences because the character would still be off the show.  Possible?