Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Okay MG when asked if there is anything hopeful in a Episode with Olicity says "Youre gonna love the Angst!" What does he mean? Is it Angst like they both say I love you but both agree it's not the right time to start a relationship cause of the Ra's and Malcolm threat? He also suggests there is no real happy moment with them for a while

Okay MG when asked if there is anything hopeful in a Episode with Olicity says "Youre gonna love the Angst!" What does he mean? Is it Angst like they both say I love you but both agree it's not the right time to start a relationship cause of the Ra's and Malcolm threat? He also suggests there is no real happy moment with them for a while

I got this impression as well. Another reason to maintain my extended hiatus. This has been a bleak season for me so far. It contrasts sharply with s2Act1. 

• Love 1

There is such a thing as too much angst. I hope whatever happens doesn't overshadow or detract from what is so great about Olicity in the first place. There's a fine line dude. 

There is such a thing as too much angst. I hope whatever happens doesn't overshadow or detract from what is so great about Olicity in the first place. There's a fine line dude.

OMG thank you! That's what I'm saying! I understand Slow burn and having some angst but the Angst with them is just depressing along with Sara dying and Oliver "Dying". Plus Felicity is usually the bright spot and MG has had her basically Miserable cause she loves Oliver who loves her but won't get out of his head that he can have her and be the Arrow. Plus he's jerked her around. I love Olicity but all this stalling could actually cause the show to drop viewers. I love a good action show but I can't see why this season has to be so Goddamn depressing

I got this impression as well. Another reason to maintain my extended hiatus. This has been a bleak season for me so far. It contrasts sharply with s2Act1.

The first nine of Season 2 were so damn good. Why can't we have that?

• Love 4

I'm ok with the 'stalling' of them getting together. I've watched shows where the couple doesn't even kiss until season 5 so this is nothing really. And I expected angst. It's fine. I just want there to be a bit more balance. This show is so dark - depressing even - especially this season, that I do want some moments of happiness and f*ck, if Oliver doesn't deserve it. I know this particular mess with Felicity is his own doing and I don't deny that but he is messed up, he has a lot of baggage and I don't blame him for being the way he is. But he's had such shit for 8 years that I just want him to have a break and he can have that with Felicity. It's sort of reaching the point where you're like 'omg something good needs to happen soon.' But this is TV so we just gotta deal. I just don't want them to lose what made Olicity special because that can happen with too much angst.

Edited by Guest

I wonder if Oliver's change in outlook is a return to S1 Oliver or a grab life by the horns Oliver. MG's answer could go either way.

I think Oliver's going to come back just as The Arrow. I think that Maseo telling Oliver in the climb that "Maseo" is dead, and all that is left was Sarab along with Malcolm declaring that "Oliver Queen is dead" is foreshadowing. Oliver's going to see what's happening to Starling City without The Arrow, and he's going to come back fully committed to his mission. I think that Felicity's going to want to pursue a relationship with him, thinking that of course he'd want to pursue one with her because the last thing he told her was that he loves her. He's going to push her away again, and she's going to be angry. Maybe he's cold and detached, season 1 Oliver, having put those walls up. Maybe that's where the "I don't want to be a woman you love" comes in?

Granted, that really leaves us in the same place we were at the end of The Calm, only this time I think it'll be a legit clean break, and it would open Felicity up to the possibility of a relationship with Ray (I hope not, but...yeah), something the writers probably couldn't do if Oliver came back and wanted to be with her and she begs off because she's scared of losing him again. Since Oliver will have rejected her, yet again, we won't be angry at her because what is this, the tenth time? Gah.

Anyway, they didn't just randomly tie Oliver's humanity to Felicity in the premiere to be romantic, she's going to be the one to bring him back from The Arrow, too. I imagine she'll probably be threatened at least a couple times (Slade, her nemesis), and he'll nearly lose her (whatever happens in 3x18), and since Laurel will probably have gone off to train with Nyssa and will have "improved" in her already unbelievably competent fighting skills and Ray's suit will be close to being done, he's going to realize that he's just wasting his life by not actually living it. I think Felicity will date Ray (as in go on dates with), and that she and Oliver will kiss or something in May and he'll tell her he's all in, and then she's going to be wary of him. I think we'll end the season with Oliver and Felicity apart but in a good (if wary) place. Maybe Felicity will still be dating Ray? I don't know - we need something to keep them apart through the hiatus because I SWEAR TO GOD IF WE MISS ANOTHER SUMMER FULL OF DEVELOPMENT...

Anyway, I'm probably wrong about a lot of this, but I definitely think Oliver's coming back in full shut-down business mode.

• Love 4

I think Oliver's going to come back just as The Arrow. I think that Maseo telling Oliver in the climb that "Maseo" is dead, and all that is left was Sarab along with Malcolm declaring that "Oliver Queen is dead" is foreshadowing. Oliver's going to see what's happening to Starling City without The Arrow, and he's going to come back fully committed to his mission. I think that Felicity's going to want to pursue a relationship with him, thinking that of course he'd want to pursue one with her because the last thing he told her was that he loves her. He's going to push her away again, and she's going to be angry. Maybe he's cold and detached, season 1 Oliver, having put those walls up. Maybe that's where the "I don't want to be a woman you love" comes in?

Granted, that really leaves us in the same place we were at the end of The Calm, only this time I think it'll be a legit clean break, and it would open Felicity up to the possibility of a relationship with Ray (I hope not, but...yeah), something the writers probably couldn't do if Oliver came back and wanted to be with her and she begs off because she's scared of losing him again. Since Oliver will have rejected her, yet again, we won't be angry at her because what is this, the tenth time? Gah.

Me too, otherwise his 'death' would mean nothing and it has to be for a reason. The death was important, as was the flashbacks he saw before he died. Oliver Queen died on that mountain and the Arrow will take his place for now. 

If he's gonna be The Arrow again, I'm gonna need him to be suited up 24/7. Also speaking in the Goa'uld voice all the time. To everyone. "One tall vanilla latte on soy, no sugar", in the suit and the voice. So that I can buy it that all that's left is The Arrow.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 10

I'm ok with the 'stalling' of them getting together. I've watched shows where the couple doesn't even kiss until season 5 so this is nothing really. And I expected angst. It's fine. I just want there to be a bit more balance. This show is so dark - depressing even - especially this season, that I do want some moments of happiness and f*ck, if Oliver doesn't deserve it. I know this particular mess with Felicity is his own doing and I don't deny that but he is messed up, he has a lot of baggage and I don't blame him for being the way he is. But he's had such shit for 8 years that I just want him to have a break and he can have that with Felicity. It's sort of reaching the point where you're like 'omg something good needs to happen soon.' But this is TV so we just gotta deal. I just don't want them to lose what made Olicity special because that can happen with too much angst.

I know Oliver does deserve a break and Felicity can give that to him in spades. She loves him so much she sees how messed up he is and she loves him anyway. MG just pisses me off with Comments like "they can be blissfully happy if they would get their shit together! " Motherfucker you are responsible for that!! I get the show is Dark that doesn't bother me I just want some light and Olicity Happy and blissful. Diggle and Lyla are happy they can have more than one happy couple. I'm afraid of Olicity losing what makes them special as well

If he's gonna be The Arrow again, I'm gonna need him to be suited up 24/7. Also speaking in the Goa'uld voice all the time. To everyone. "One tall vanilla latte on soy, no sugar", in the suit and the voice. So that I can buy it that all that's left is The Arrow.

Stinky, stanky leather smells for everyone!

• Love 1

Anyway, they didn't just randomly tie Oliver's humanity to Felicity in the premiere to be romantic, she's going to be the one to bring him back from The Arrow, too. I imagine she'll probably be threatened at least a couple times (Slade, her nemesis), and he'll nearly lose her (whatever happens in 3x18), and since Laurel will probably have gone off to train with Nyssa and will have "improved" in her already unbelievably competent fighting skills and Ray's suit will be close to being done, he's going to realize that he's just wasting his life by not actually living it. I think Felicity will date Ray (as in go on dates with), and that she and Oliver will kiss or something in May and he'll tell her he's all in, and then she's going to be wary of him. I think we'll end the season with Oliver and Felicity apart but in a good (if wary) place. Maybe Felicity will still be dating Ray? I don't know - we need something to keep them apart through the hiatus because I SWEAR TO GOD IF WE MISS ANOTHER SUMMER FULL OF DEVELOPMENT...

Anyway, I'm probably wrong about a lot of this, but I definitely think Oliver's coming back in full shut-down business mode.

I hope you are wrong about a lot of this LOL. I want them to Unite with at least 2 or 3 episodes left and hit the sheets is that wrong LOL.

• Love 2

The sad part is they've just spent 9 episodes of Arrow and 1 of Flash deconstructing his decision to be more Arrow than Oliver, and I can see these writers going, OH SHIT TOO MANY EPISODES TO GO, and just go back there again. And then the status quo is kept in that he's Oliver with EVERYONE BUT FELICITY. Again.

I was thinking earlier that Felicity might shut him down because while he's dead she's given up on love completely, and going back on that decision would take them to May Sweeps, but I don't know. The 100 is doing that storyline *exactly* right now, it'd be weird with the shows airing back to back.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Oliver's going to come back just as The Arrow. I think that Maseo telling Oliver in the climb that "Maseo" is dead, and all that is left was Sarab along with Malcolm declaring that "Oliver Queen is dead" is dead"

Except Maseo isn't dead. If Maseo was dead and Sarab was all that was left he wouldn't have arranged for Tatsuo to be on the mountain to operate on Oliver, carried Oliver's almost dead body across the mountain to Tatsuo or hid the fact that Oliver survived from Ra's.

I'd say that shows that Maseo is still very much alive.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Except Maseo isn't dead. If Maseo was dead and Sarab was all that was left he wouldn't have A) Arranged for Tatsuo to be on the mountain to operate on Oliver, B) Carried Oliver's almost dead body across the mountain to Tatsuo and, C) Hid the fact that Oliver survived from Ra's.

Right, that's kind of my point. It's something they say, something they believe, but they can't really detach themselves from their humanity. I mean, Maseo obviously tried - it seems like he and Tatsu aren't together anymore, but he's still Maseo - he still has compassion and does the right thing, he's just not all in. I think the same thing will basically happen with Oliver. He committed to it at the beginning of the season and then Sara died. After that he realized that he didn't want to die alone on a cold slab in a basement. So he reached out to Thea and made amends with her (Thea was way safer for him to reach out to than Felicity). Now he's going to try it again, and he's going to fail again. He'll probably be more dedicated this time, but he's not going to be able to do it for long.

• Love 2

Sigh. I'm not going to lie, if Oliver decides to be more hood-like in his focus, y'all will see me in May watching the finale. I'm so done with this repetitive ish that I'd rather wait it out to see what happens in May. I mean look, I understand that considering what he's been through, his adjustment to life will be one step forward, two steps back but for real? That stuff should be left IN REAL LIFE. Everything about Arrow is dour, and sad and just...nuh. I have zero time for this.

Edited by Limbo
  • Love 10

Sigh. I'm not going to lie, if Oliver decides to be more hood-like in his focus, y'all will see me in May watching the finale. I'm so done with this repetitive ish that I'd rather wait it out to see what happens in May. I mean look, I understand that considering what he's been through, he's adjustment to life will be one step forward, two steps back but for real? That stuff should be left IN REAL LIFE. Everything about Arrow is dour, and sad and just...nuh. I have zero time for this.

It's why I say I would rather Felicity shut him down then he spends time chasing her wooing her so on and so on then in late April early May they FINALLY get together I'm sorry not sorry that the thought of Raylicity makes me ill like Shaw and Sarah on Chuck did

• Love 1

Some angst is fine. Even a lot of angst can be interesting to watch, if done right. Nothing but angst, however, is just depressing. And the one thing this show does not need to be is more depressing.

• Love 9

Oliver and Felicity have been pretty low-angst so far, all things considered. I wonder how bad the angst can even be? MG already teased the "I don't want to be a woman you love" line, and fandom already thinks Felicity's going to say that to Oliver. We know they're not going to be together, so everyone's prepared. I doubt it'll be that bad. 

• Love 5

For me it's not really about Olicity, but Oliver. The writers take too much pleasure in crapping on his life that I no longer want to see him claw back, again, from a hole.

Lack of Olicity is just the icing on the cake. I really want Oliver to succeed, but he has so many emotional and mental scars that are added to every season. They're never dealt with, he just moves on. Hopefully the show will reach a point where in spite of losing so often, he wins SOMETHING. His victory against Slade felt so...empty. He still lost his mother and Thea still ran off with crazy.

What's so appealing about The Flash right now is that, even though there's some emotional pain with Iris, he still beats the bad guy, and Joe is now on his side about his dad.

Just gimme some wins on Arrow, please.

• Love 18

For me it's not really about Olicity, but Oliver. The writers take too much pleasure in crapping on his life that I no longer want to see him claw back, again, from a hole.

Lack of Olicity is just the icing on the cake. I really want Oliver to succeed, but he has so many emotional and mental scars that are added to every season. They're never dealt with, he just moves on. Hopefully the show will reach a point where in spite of losing so often, he wins SOMETHING. His victory against Slade felt so...empty. He still lost his mother and Thea still ran off with crazy.

What's so appealing about The Flash right now is that, even though there's some emotional pain with Iris, he still beats the bad guy, and Joe is now on his side about his dad.

They seem to do the VotW better over on Flash. I think Arrow needs to do a little more of that, even though the EPs have said they don't like doing it - that way we can see more victories while having the overarching season-long villain. I will say though that while The Flash is more upbeat, I'm not even remotely invested in it. Since the episodes don't really tie into one another that much and nearly every villain is defeated by the time the episode is through, it's the kind of thing that I find myself picking up every now and then. I don't really watch it week-to-week. The emotional stakes are too high on Arrow, and IMO, not high enough on Flash. I know this isn't the place to discuss that, so I'll agree that I would like to see more wins for Oliver. But honestly, I don't finish each ep of Arrow thinking "why does this guy keep getting emotionally beaten down?" 

I don't even realize how grim dark it is until someone points it out and I'm like, "yeah, he hasn't had a win in a while." So, I can see why the mood of Arrow bothers some people, it really doesn't bother me. I do need a few more bright spots though.

• Love 6

So, so, sooooo much this.

I stopped watching 24 when they continued to do terrible things to jack. They have to get a hea. Not an entire hea, but even a win would be nice. Oliver got a win at the end of S3 but at a terrible price. I don't want to see his homecoming marred for the sake of angst.

The last time he came back from the dead, the woman he thought he loved told him five years in hell wasn't enough. I will not be pleased if he doesn't get a warmer homecoming.

The last time he came back from the dead, the woman he thought he loved told him five years in hell wasn't enough. I will not be pleased if he doesn't get a warmer homecoming.

Well, at least we know Oliver gets a hug. So if Felicity tells him that three weeks in hell wasn't enough, at least she wraps her arms around him before she does it! 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

Eh he didn't particularly deserve a hug from Laurel. Cold reception, but not uncalled for IMO.

Felicity should do a running start and fly into his arms. I have dreams.

Maybe she does that's why MG mentions it

I see MG's dilemma, somewhat.  He's got a part of the show who wants to see Laurel as the Black Canary, and another part that is dreading it. How do you get both parts of the audience to tune in?

I remember when Tim Minear used to post on the Angle board at TWoP. Good times, except when he got upset about something.  But it seemed easier to talk to him than the 10,000 tweets and tumblir requests MG gets every day.

That latest preview just made me sad... I couldn't help imagining how the scene would've been different and so much more badass if Oliver had been there (even if he had to disguise his fighting skills) - or even if Sara had been there.  Instead, with Ray and Laurel, I just felt like I was watching the matinee performance with the understudies performing the main roles.

Now you've made me sad because I'm thinking of Oliver and Sara being there, trying to fight and yet hide that they can. 

Regarding the stunt double still, the face isn't that bad a match in a darkened room -- but if you look at her thighs and legs, it's obvious that it's not KC.

I remember that Sarah Michelle Gellar's stunt double said in an interview that if she were as thin as SMG, she never would have had the power to do the stunts.

If he's afraid of losing the Olicity crowd he wouldn't throw ten "obstacles" at them before they get together.

Even more, he should have let them be happy for more than 10 seconds before he blew them up, literally and figuratively.  Then at least there would have been Olicity scenes to remember and hang on to while Oliver is gone and Black Canary and the Atom are rising.

I hope the dream is not a nightmare and that was just SA teasing (trolling). There needs to be something good to hang on to before it gets wrapped up in May sweeps, if it even does then.  (Two years of Castle I will never get back, even more of Bones.)

• Love 1

I see MG's dilemma, somewhat. He's got a part of the show who wants to see Laurel as the Black Canary, and another part that is dreading it. How do you get both parts of the audience to tune in?

I remember when Tim Minear used to post on the Angle board at TWoP. Good times, except when he got upset about something. But it seemed easier to talk to him than the 10,000 tweets and tumblir requests MG gets every day.

Now you've made me sad because I'm thinking of Oliver and Sara being there, trying to fight and yet hide that they can.

I remember that Sarah Michelle Gellar's stunt double said in an interview that if she were as thin as SMG, she never would have had the power to do the stunts.

Even more, he should have let them be happy for more than 10 seconds before he blew them up, literally and figuratively. Then at least there would have been Olicity scenes to remember and hang on to while Oliver is gone and Black Canary and the Atom are rising.

I hope the dream is not a nightmare and that was just SA teasing (trolling). There needs to be something good to hang on to before it gets wrapped up in May sweeps, if it even does then. (Two years of Castle I will never get back, even more of Bones.)

Yeah Seriously I want a Good dream about Felicity from Oliver since we are gonna get "Good" angst from Olicity next week. Good angst would be them saying they love each other but not entering Coupledom. Fuck I'm getting tired of the Angst lol Edited by jay741982

Some angst is fine. Even a lot of angst can be interesting to watch, if done right. Nothing but angst, however, is just depressing. And the one thing this show does not need to be is more depressing.

This is just me taking an educated guess, as I'm not actually watching the show. I'd say that the problem they have is not the angst, specifically (though the show does seem to be grim and dark and unrelentingly miserable), but who the angst is between. Back in season 2 I, and others, said that ramping up Olicity would be a double-edged sword because of all the tricks TV writers always pull with 'will they, won't they' couples. Usually they can get away with angst and misery and miscommunication and jealousy for a while, because it's just one aspect of the show being affected. But with Oliver and Felicity, their interactions were the lightness that put the rest of the show in contrast, and the main source of fun and levity in an otherwise humourless show.

As soon as the writers start with the inevitable 'can't be together because reasons but you'd better not get with anyone else' tropes, it throws that relationship out of synch and suddenly it's not making the viewer smile any more. Reading through this forum over the last few months feels like being at a SAD sufferers support group. Because without the lightness of Oliver/Felicity, things are bleak and threatening to do nothing but get bleaker.

One of my favourite little things to do with shows that are going off the rails is come up with the stupidest, least popular and least creative writing moves I can imagine conceivable, and suggest them as something the show should do. Arrow seems to be hitting nearly every one of my sardonic little predictions. Now 'Oliver is dead, there is only The Arrow' because there's half a season to go? Sounds about right.

• Love 4

The EPs sure seem to think that the Crazy Eyes scenes with Felicity are bringing the banter-y/lighter moments this season, which: GRRR. I get frustrated and creeped out instead of amused, but I'm sure there's some 17 people out there enjoying those scenes a lot.

I also think there's a problem in the quality of the angst along with the quantity. I completely believe this particular group of writers can write a fun, action-packed, soapy superhero show. I've never ever seen any evidence that they have the right skill set for straight up angst. Melodrama? Sure. Nuanced drama? LOL NO.

If they were pounding the characters with doom and gloom that was varied -- if they could find the dark humor in the sadness, or if they would infuse some actual lyricism to the depression, I'm certain I'd be fine with it. [One of my favorite things I've watched recently was the first season of The Leftovers. That show was angst on top of sorrow on top of depression, and it was beautiful. And cathartic.] But all they do on Arrow is kill people violently, and have the characters react to the deaths in the most predictable way possible. And they seem to withhold catharsis for kicks. On a superhero show. SIGH.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 10

I get that MG is having fun and can't go into TOO much detail because he doesn't want to divulge too much AND he's trying to get everyone to tune in...

but I was instantly concerned about his interest in bringing Jason Todd/Red Hood onto the show.

Just no. 

HELL no.

And that made me wonder - if he thinks Arrow is a good place for that character to show up on, then it doesn't bode well (IMO) for the show overall.

• Love 4

What is Jason Todd/Red Hood all about @Writersblock51?

Jason Todd was the most hated Robin, in fact I think there was a phone vote to see if the character should live or die...DC fans voted for death.  That was back in the late 80's (I think) and then in mid-2000's he was brought back to life (Lazarus Pit?) and became the Red Hood (anti-hero).  Roy Harper has been in the Red Hood and The Outlaws Title since the 52 reboot.  It's Red Hood, Arsenal and Starfire in the title...it looks interesting but so many people rag on Jason Todd that I don't know if I want to take the risk.

• Love 1

Since he's connected to Batman in a more direct way than Ra's al Ghul I can't see it happening (especially since they have also been denied Nightwing) but where darkness and angst is concerned Jason Todd kind of takes the cake. He wasn't just killed, he was kidnapped and beaten to death by the Joker. 

Tonight's episode is definitely going to be majorly Laurel-heavy.  I've posted two KC interviews, and there should be another one coming from Collider.  The comic preview, episode 11 promo, and producer's preview all include Laurel. Have fun guys.

Per KC:

she’s out there being sloppy, but she’s doing good.

Isn't that an oxymoron, or something?

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I'm not going to read the interview because I feel like my view of the show doesn't line up with KC's view. And there really is no point in getting worked up over it all.

However that is a really interesting answer. I understand where she is coming from, but attaching a negative vibe on to the shipping community is not the best response. It would have been best just to keep it simple: We have a very passionate fanbase and its great that they get out their for the show. And then maybe compliment SA and EBR for bringing that exposure. She doesn't have to be ra-ra about it (and I wouldn't expect her to be). Maybe a littlemore diplomatic?

• Love 17

I'm not going to read the interview because I feel like my view of the show doesn't line up with KC's view. And there really is no point in getting worked up over it all.

However that is a really interesting answer. I understand where she is coming from, but attaching a negative vibe on to the shipping community is not the best response. It would have been best just to keep it simple: We have a very passionate fanbase and its great that they get out their for the show. And then maybe compliment SA and EBR for bringing that exposure. She doesn't have to be ra-ra about it (and I wouldn't expect her to be). Maybe a littlemore diplomatic?

THIS!!

That is what I would have expected,response-wise.

I mean... this is Hollywood. Actors are experienced in giving diplomatic answers like the one you stated.

Anyway, I guess we can say she is being honest.

I can only cringe to think of how she really feels about being sidelined in popularity by EBR. Yikes! :(

• Love 3