Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I read on tumblr MG's comment that the Billy Joel song that reminds him most of Olicity is "Vienna". I looked up the lyrics, and it says there:

"You've got your passion, you've got your pride
But don't you know that only fools are satisfied?
Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true, ooh
When will you realize Vienna waits for you?"

So, does that mean that Oliciters' dreams of their couple coming together in S3 won't come true? :-(

Edited by Kordi

Three birds with one stone.

Also the stone that weighs Fellicity down as she sinks beneath the surface of the water.

Ugh.  Hopefully Felcity is still away from the lair while Diggle and Roy argue with Laurel about that.  But if Olicity doesn't happen because Felicity sides with Laurel, witness protection won't be enough.  Also, way to ruin Felicity since in Left Behind, she's all about keeping people from getting hurt.

he still has Thea in his realm to use as leverage.

Unless Oliver is an idiot, which is not to say that  he isn't, he should be getting Thea away from Malcolm  He had her as leverage while Oliver still thought it was about connecting with family, not turning her into an assassin.

Why do they keep asking if Felicity is going to be in specific episode? 3x13, 3x19…Season 4?

PTSD from 2B and Corto Maltese.

If the Oliver's return is neither happy nor intense*, is it "Hey, bro, glad you're back.  Now here are the changes we've made while you were gone..."?

*I keep thinking of the line "The Count is neither sad, nor sick, nor merry, nor well, but civil count, civil as an orange, and something of that jealous complexion.."

ETA:  more Vienna lyrics

Slow down you crazy child

You're so ambitious for a juvenile

But then if you're so smart tell me,

Why are you still so afraid? (mmmmm)

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?

You better cool it off before you burn it out

You got so much to do and only

So many hours in a day (Ay)

Slow down you crazy child

Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while

It's alright, you can afford to lose a day or two (oooh)

When will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

And you know that when the truth is told

That you can get what you want or you can just get old

You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through (oooh)

Why don't you realize... Vienna waits for you?

At least he didn't quote Simon and Garfunkle "Slow down, you move too fast; you've got to make the morning last"

Edited by statsgirl

I'm thinking it will play out like Oliver is super against Laurel fighting, Felicity is supportive of it, cue huge disagreement/fight/rift between Oliver and Felicity. Ta Da!! Ladies supporting ladies/female friendships + stalling Olicity + not using Ray Palmer all in one. Three birds with one stone. 

Yeah, now that I think about it, that's entirely possible. I just really didn't consider it when I made that first post! 

I still think this third party is going to be Malcolm in some way though.

Edited by Guest

HAH! So Olicity doesn't happen in 312/313 because of Laurel? No wonder MG says he needs to stay off of twitter. Might also want to go into Witness Protection while he's at it LOL.

Seriously. 

If that is the reason (Oliver being aggressively overprotective of Laurel and not wanting her to be BC), and the "I don't want to be a woman you love," is related to that then he really better get off of twitter. Like, her saying "If that's how you treat us, then I don't want to be a woman you love," or something. But that wouldn't make sense because I feel like Felicity, while thinking he's wrong, would understand why he would feel that way because Diggle and Roy felt that way at first. And he's had Felicity out in the field using herself as bait for serial killers and he's used her as bait himself, so....IDK. Who knows at this point. That would be...a really stupid thing to do when trying to get people on board with Laurel.

Edited by apinknightmare

But isn't whatever's gonna kill the ship and send murderous hordes to MG happen in 312? And the Laurel-Felicity scene he's pimping is in 313? Okay, maybe it's cumulative ship killing stalling tactics.

Edited by dancingnancy
(edited)

I'm thinking it will play out like Oliver is super against Laurel fighting, Felicity is supportive of it, cue huge disagreement/fight/rift between Oliver and Felicity. Ta Da!! Ladies supporting ladies/female friendships + stalling Olicity + not using Ray Palmer all in one. Three birds with one stone.

This is what I thought Angel12d meant when I made my post. Not that Lauiver would come between them but that Felicity taking Laurel's side over Oliver's would cause a rift.

I read on tumblr MG's comment that the Billy Joel song that reminds him most of Olicity is "Vienna". I looked up the lyrics, and it says there:

So, does that mean that Oliciters' dreams of their couple coming together in S3 won't come true? :-(

Quite the opposite, unless MG has a totally different understanding of the song than I do. Vienna is about the future, the future waits for you. That's how I always interpreted the song.

Billy gave an interview talking about the song. It's really insightful but I'm a huge Billy fan...so I could be biased.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_%28Billy_Joel_song%29

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

But isn't whatever's gonna kill the ship and send murderous hordes to MG happen in 312? And the Laurel-Felicity scene he's pimping is in 313? Okay, maybe it's cumulative ship killing stalling tactics.

He'll come back in 3x12 (probably mid-fight as someone suggested), he'll see it, not like it. Maybe talk to Roy, Diggle and Felicity about it, and she'll tell him she's being an a-hole, gets angry with him. Then she'll lend her support to Laurel in 3x13, probably. Yikes, the puzzle pieces are fitting together now, someone hold me.

You know...it seems outrageous so it'll probably happen.

Ah they'll probably use Felicity helping Ray (potentially) kill himself as a reason Felicity is gung ho about Laurel. Makes absolute sense folks.

But why would Felicity go from "I'm not going to help any of my friends get killed" to "Oliver, you have to let this incompetent woman fight because she has such a big heart"?

Well, she and Laurel are supposed to be getting closer, and she's already back on the team helping Diggle and Roy, so...why not, I guess? It's a cracky theory - that's a huge risk to take, but maybe they're banking on the audience coming around to Laurel and taking Felicity's side in the argument? It's a crack theory, but maybe not such a far-out possibility.

But why would Felicity go from "I'm not going to help any of my friends get killed" to "Oliver, you have to let this incompetent woman fight because she has such a big heart"?

The promo for next week's ep has Felicity saying something about "this is OUR city", so I'm thinking she's changing her mind about bubble wrapping everyone then.

I'm no big fan of Laurel but if Felicity and Oliver got in a fight cause of Laurel wanting to fight to protect the city like Diggle Oliver and Roy: Felicity supports her Oliver doesnt . I would support Felicity still

I was hoping that Felicity would remain the one intelligent person on the team, the "moral center" as MG said, the one to say 'we can't trust Malcolm Merlyn", smart  enough to know that even if she does side with Laurel about fighting, it's not worth getting into a big fight with Oliver over.  Because he just came back from the dead.

Someone needs to have a mature relationship on the show besides Diggle.

• Love 3

I've decided that Brick killed Malcolm's wife and that there will be a Brick/Malcolm confrontation that involves the line "you made me the man I am today". Cause you know, it's an "homage" to Burton's Batman.

That's hilarious as it reminds me of the scene in the latest World of Warcraft expansion where

Thrall (the good guy) and Garrosh (the bad guy) fight to the death.  As Thrall is summoning the elements to kill Garrosh, Garrosh growls "You made me what I am!".  The expression on Thrall's face (the background is pretty involved, but he bears some responsibility for the situation), and bear in mind this is an animated game character, is amazing, and he replies "No, you chose your own path."

.  That a game can make a more emotional moment between two characters than this show could, should not surprise me.

Actually the latest expansion has had me in tears from several major character deaths, but unlike Sara's, they actually had a purpose.  And no, I'm never going to not be bitter about that.

Someone said upthread that the show relies far too much on Barrowman's ability to sell crappy dialogue.  I think they rely on a lot of the actors that way - Ramsay and Rickards to bring warmth and humour, for instance.

• Love 1

Just people freaking out over something that probably won't happen lol

IDK, this theory out of all the ones we've come up with actually makes the most sense to me. I could see Oliver coming back and spouting that it's "his" mission like he was telling Diggle at the beginning of the season, after she and Diggle and Roy and even Laurel picked up the pieces and got going again after they found out he was dead. And Felicity would probably take exception to him feeling like he had the right to call all the shots and say who is and isn't allowed to get involved now that he "died" and they kept on going. To them, it's not just about him anymore. 

Not sure I especially like what something like that would entail as far as who the focus of the show is on, but it would make sense why MG seems to be pushing this scene Felicity and Laurel have together in 3x13 especially hard. 

The only reason I'm skeptical is that since there are present-day Oliver scenes in this arc, him being on set for 3x12 filming doesn't mean he necessarily returns to town in 3x12, although what kind of ship-denting moment could there be with out him physically being around, unless it's done over the phone or whatever. Like, he calls to tell them he's alive and Felicity wonders why this is the first time she's hearing from him and gets angry about that? IDK. And if that's the case, who's the person who comes between them? 

IDK, this theory out of all the ones we've come up with actually makes the most sense to me. I could see Oliver coming back and spouting that it's "his" mission like he was telling Diggle at the beginning of the season, after she and Diggle and Roy and even Laurel picked up the pieces and got going again after they found out he was dead. And Felicity would probably take exception to him feeling like he had the right to call all the shots and say who is and isn't allowed to get involved now that he "died" and they kept on going. To them, it's not just about him anymore.

Not sure I especially like what something like that would entail as far as who the focus of the show is on, but it would make sense why MG seems to be pushing this scene Felicity and Laurel have together in 3x13 especially hard.

The only reason I'm skeptical is that since there are present-day Oliver scenes in this arc, him being on set for 3x12 filming doesn't mean he necessarily returns to town in 3x12, although what kind of ship-denting moment could there be with out him physically being around, unless it's done over the phone or whatever. Like, he calls to tell them he's alive and Felicity wonders why this is the first time she's hearing from him and gets angry about that? IDK. And if that's the case, who's the person who comes between them?

Hey it could happen. I don't see why it should be a huge ship staller. Or Dent Olicity. I really don't see why Laurel and Felicity could eventually be friends and i m no big Laurel fan.

I see Malcolm or Ra's being the ship staller.

MG has the nerve to say Oliver and Felicity Would be blissfuly happy if they got their shit together? Fuck him they were FINE before the season Premier and having Ray and Laurel forced on us

Maybe Laurel will help unite Olicity? That would piss Laurviver fans off lol

Or if we're sharing nightmares they could kill off Felicity at the end of the series and put Oliver and Laurel together. What's with the fanbaiting? That's not very nice, there are Lauriver fans on this board too.

I really don't see why Laurel and Felicity could eventually be friends and i m no big Laurel fan.

I don't see why they couldn't. They're the two female leads on the show, just because some people pit the actresses against each other for no reason doesn't mean the characters have to be at odds. If there's only 3 females on the show and 2 of them have nothing good to say to each other then that's two too many IMO. I'm sick of this girl-hating-girl competition and bullshit. Garbage. I would love to see a decent friendship between Laurel and Felicity emerge that is completely independent of Oliver. They're two well educated women in a fucked up city and have both seen some dark shit, there's more than enough reason to bond over it. Plus they've both got Mommy issues, they have that to bond over too.

Edited by slayer2

I don't see why they couldn't. They're the two female leads on the show, just because some people pit the actresses against each other for no reason doesn't mean the characters have to be at odds. If there's only 3 females on the show and 2 of them have nothing good to say to each other then that's two too many IMO. I'm sick of this girl-hating-hating bullshit. Garbage.

I think the OP was saying they didn't see why Felicity and Laurel couldn't be friends - just missed a couple of letters, hence the "and I'm no big Laurel fan."

I'm sick of this girl-hating-hating bullshit. Garbage.

Women don't always have to be friends with other women.  I work with plenty of women I have no interest in being friends with, and several I actively dislike.  We're colleagues, we work together, we don't hang out.  There is no rule that I am aware of that says women must always be friends with other women they know.  I'm guessing, though, that Felicity and Laurel will get along just fine in time.

• Love 14

I really don't think Laurel's BC gig is going to be the obstacle for Oliver/Felicity. It really doesn't do anyone any favors. It wouldn't even support a Felicity/Laurel friendship for the audience (IMO). Its one thing for Felicity to be supportive of Laurel, but for Felicity to speak for Laurel could come off negatively for both woman.

I still think its going to be a villain and Oliver's choices. Based off of what SA was saying about Felicity being a strong character and if Oliver can't be with that than there is something wrong with Oliver. I think they have a stand off over course of action.

• Love 3

Or if we're sharing nightmares they could kill off Felicity at the end of the series and put Oliver and Laurel together. What's with the fanbaiting? That's not very nice, there are Lauriver fans on this board too.

I don't see why they couldn't. They're the two female leads on the show, just because some people pit the actresses against each other for no reason doesn't mean the characters have to be at odds. If there's only 3 females on the show and 2 of them have nothing good to say to each other then that's two too many IMO. I'm sick of this girl-hating-hating bullshit. Garbage. I would love to see a decent friendship between Laurel and Felicity emerge that is completely independent of Oliver, they're two well educated woman in a fucked up city and who've seen some dark shit, there's more than enough reason to bond over it. Plus they've both got Mommy issues, they have that to bond over too.

The problem is that Laurel and Felicity have nothing in common but Oliver.  What Mommy issues?  Felicity and her mother seem to be at a decent place as does Laurel and Dinah.  What could they possibly have to talk about re their mothers?

Why do Laurel and Felicity have to be friends?  They can be decent to each other but IMO friendship is not required. And IMO it's not pitting the actresses against each other.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 9

I don't have much of an opinion on whether or not Felicity and Laurel should/could be friends, but after 50 something episodes from these particular writers, I have concerns that they might not be able to write them in a friendship that passes the Bechdel Test.

• Love 7

The Count is neither sad, nor sick, nor merry, nor well, but civil count, civil as an orange, and something of that jealous complexion

Much Ado About Nothing.

That probably sums up a lot of these so called spoilers. 

• Love 4

I don't have much of an opinion on whether or not Felicity and Laurel should/could be friends, but after 50 something episodes from these particular writers, I have concerns that they might not be able to write them in a friendship that passes the Bechdel Test.

And they wouldn't really be able to because IMO Laurel and Felicity have nothing in common beyond Oliver and his mission. Laurel is not really the sharing and caring type anyway so I doubt that even if Felicity started babbeling about her mom that Laurel is going to jump in and say "Well, let me tell you about my mom". 

If they talk about Quentin, would that pass Bechdel?  I mean, he's a man, obviously, but they wouldn't be talking about him as a man but as a father or friend. I think that might be their best possible opener, as Oliver is their only other real commonality, and that would just be too awkward.  They would also talk about missions, but that's work, not friendship.

• Love 2

I don't see why they couldn't. They're the two female leads on the show, just because some people pit the actresses against each other for no reason doesn't mean the characters have to be at odds. If there's only 3 females on the show and 2 of them have nothing good to say to each other then that's two too many IMO. I'm sick of this girl-hating-girl competition and bullshit. Garbage. I would love to see a decent friendship between Laurel and Felicity emerge that is completely independent of Oliver. They're two well educated women in a fucked up city and have both seen some dark shit, there's more than enough reason to bond over it. Plus they've both got Mommy issues, they have that to bond over too.

Crap! I meant to say I can't see why Laurel and Felicity CAN'T be friends!! And I'm no big Laurel fan

I think the OP was saying they didn't see why Felicity and Laurel couldn't be friends - just missed a couple of letters, hence the "and I'm no big Laurel fan."

Thanks @apinknightmare that is what I meant!!

• Love 1

If they talk about Quentin, would that pass Bechdel? I mean, he's a man, obviously, but they wouldn't be talking about him as a man but as a father or friend. I think that might be their best possible opener, as Oliver is their only other real commonality, and that would just be too awkward. They would also talk about missions, but that's work, not friendship.

Nope. The parameter is they can't talk about a man. Any man. They can talk about anything else to pass the test. Nail polish, but not dudes. And I agree, missions = work, not friendship.

They do have losing Sara in common, and they'll probably both want to save Thea from Malcolm, but I'm not sure these writers are even aware that girl friends talk about nail polish WHILE talking about grieving a loved one WHILE planning a mission.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 4

If they talk about Quentin, would that pass Bechdel?  I mean, he's a man, obviously, but they wouldn't be talking about him as a man but as a father or friend. I think that might be their best possible opener, as Oliver is their only other real commonality, and that would just be too awkward.  They would also talk about missions, but that's work, not friendship.

I feel like they could be sitting in the foundry one night and end up in  a heart to heart about how fucked up it all is. 'Cause it is fucked up, and honestly they've both been kidnapped soooo many times that the could use that as a springboard. Not sure about Quentin with the Bechdel test, good question!

jay741982 Gotcha! Agreed.

Nope. The parameter is they can't talk about a man. Any man. They can talk about anything else to pass the test. Nail polish, but not dudes. And I agree, missions = work, not friendship.

They do have losing Sara in common, and they'll probably both want to save Thea from Malcolm, but I'm not sure these writers are even aware that girl friends talk about nail polish WHILE talking about grieving a loved one WHILE planning a mission.

Ah! Okay then, I do like the spa, nail polish idea though. If anybody could use a spa day it's these two women, maybe some yoga or something.

Women don't always have to be friends with other women.  I work with plenty of women I have no interest in being friends with, and several I actively dislike

They don't have too get along no, but you're talking about a place with tons of women, there are only 2 main women on this show (sometimes 3) and for those women to not get along or even talk to each other is pretty fucking glaring when there's only two women on the show. I'm sure there's more than two women in your office so it surely makes more sense that you're selective about it but when there's only two of you it's a little different. I'm sure if the show were written by women it would be different as well.

It reminds me of a scene from Scandal when Abby and Liv weren't talking but Abby called her up when her abusive ex-husband showed up and asked Liv to bring her an new outfit because she'd vomited all over hers and Liv showed up in a flash (no pun intended) with more than one outfit for her to choose from. The sisterhood thing is something that this show's particular show runners don't understand, they almost got it with Thea and Laurel in Season 1 but then they abandoned it. Even Sara/Laurel's relationship (who's chemistry for the most part I liked) was fucked up because they were ping-ponging back and forth between the same asshole guy. It'd be nice to have some strong sisterhood scenes on this show as it's sorely lacking. 

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

Yeah, that'll be a great conversation.  I'm sure Laurel will want to relive being nearly murdered and turned into a doll. And nope they can't bond over their shared kidnapping by Slade because it involves a man.

I would actually love it if their first real conversation was about shoes or jackets. That awkward conversation starter because you really don't know the person that well but they have nice shoes and you like shoes so why not. 

• Love 4

Let me Apologize to any Laurviver fans I did not mean to ship bait or anything like that I'm no big fan of Laurel BUT I wouldn't mind her and Felicity eventually being friends

Trust me I'm no Lauriver fan (I don't think they have any romantic chemistry except when he's Arrow IMO) I just feel bad because people always seem to be dumping on their ship. I would love love love to see a friendship between Felicity and Laurel. I shipped Faith/Buffy and their bizarre friendship harder than anything else on that show.

Edited by slayer2

Trust me I'm no Lauriver fan (I don't think they have any romantic chemistry except when he's Arrow) I just feel bad for them because people always seem to be dumping on their ship. I would love love love to see a friendship between Felicity and Laurel. I shipped Faith/Buffy and their bizarre friendship harder than anything else on that show.

I would like to see one too. I'm a HUGE Olicity fan and can't see why Laurel and Felicity cant eventually be friends.

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but Faith and Buffy weren't both ever in love with or involved with the same guy were they?  Buffy and Faith were both slayers so their relationship was based on that part of their lives.  That friendship had it's problems but it wasn't built around a man. 

• Love 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but Faith and Buffy weren't both ever in love with or involved with the same guy were they? Buffy and Faith were both slayers so their relationship was based on that part of their lives. That friendship had it's problems but it wasn't built around a man.

when Faith went Evil she tried to seduce Angel to bring out Angelus and that caused Buffy to get jealous. When Faith took over Buffy's body in S4 she slept with Riley and when Buffy showed up in LA looking for Faith it became more about BA then Faith/Buffy.

I think Buffy/Kendra would be a better comparison...the only man they had in common was Mr. Pointy...poor Kendra.

• Love 1

when Faith went Evil she tried to seduce Angel to bring out Angelus and that caused Buffy to get jealous. When Faith took over Buffy's body in S4 she slept with Riley and when Buffy showed up in LA looking for Faith it became more about BA then Faith/Buffy.

I think Buffy/Kendra would be a better comparison...the only man they had in common was Mr. Pointy...poor Kendra.

I had forgotten about Riley, but my point is more that Faith and Buffy had already developed that awkward relationship as slayers because of being slayers. Not because a man was the basis of their relationship. In the case of Laurel and Felicity, Oliver is the basis of their original connection.

Edited by catrox14

They don't have too get along no, but you're talking about a place with tons of women, there are only 2 main women on this show (sometimes 3) and for those women to not get along or even talk to each other is pretty fucking glaring when there's only two women on the show.

That's my point, though...originally the discussion was about them becoming friends.  There's no reason that women have some particular duty to become actual friends with other women they know or work with.  That is completely different than being colleagues.  I am collegial with basically everyone at work, but there are women I like, women I dislike, and women I am neutral about.  And at work I am pretty much about work, not about becoming outside-of-work friends with anyone I work with, male or female.  There's no special reason, other than working together, for them to become actual friends.  They probably will, over time, but I don't really care for rules that only apply to women and their relationships with other women.  

Just to add, there are and have been more than two women on the show.  Thea and Moira had a pretty rich female relationship, Thea and Laurel had a budding friendship (that we mostly didn't see, but that's because the writers decided it largely wasn't relevant).  Shado and Sara had relationships with each other and various other parties, as has Nyssa.  Even Det. McKenna and Laurel had a pre-existing friendly relationship.  

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 5

I'm just saying I like complicated relationships and frenemy relationships can be interesting, exhibit A Buffy/Faith. Even when they hated each other they still had this weird begrudging respect or power over each other, to the point where Buffy can say "I'm going to beat you to death," and Faith says "Go ahead". Fascinating, I think if they don't want to take it out of the frenemy route with Felicity and Laurel then they can still have a pretty interesting dynamic that is fun to watch. I hope they take them out of frenemy though but it could still work.

There's no reason that women have some particular duty to become actual friends with other women they know or work with

I wouldn't call it work though, what they're doing, there's work involved but it's not the same thing IMO. Also that still doesn't address that fact that at your work there are more than two of you. I can speak from personal experience when I say that there is a bond that forms between two women who have dealt with life or death situations, kidnappings, the army or other extreme sitations etc together. They should have come to some sort of bond-y thing (whether grudgingly or not) already.

Edited by slayer2

Laurel was never really an ass to Felicity. I don't see a big deal with them being friends really. 

IMO Laurel has generally been dismissive, rude and patronizing. To me that equals being an ass. MV as always.

• Love 3

I wouldn't call it work though, what they're doing, there's work involved but it's not the same thing IMO. Also that still doesn't address that fact that at your work there are more than two of you. I can speak from personal experience when I say that there is a bond that forms between two women who have dealt with life or death situations, kidnappings, the army or other extreme sitations etc together. They should have come to some sort of bond-y thing (whether grudgingly or not) already.

I guess I do pretty much consider it work.  It's like being an unpaid CIA agent/Navy SEAL.  And if I worked with only one other woman, and I didn't like her, I wouldn't have any interest in becoming friends with her just because she happens to be a woman.  Again, I am absolutely sure they will bond in some way and get along just fine.  I am not, however, at all sure they'll be friends in the sense of going to see a movie together and get sushi afterwards.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 5

Personally, until Laurel apologizes for being an ass to Felicity from the get go, I can't get on board any friendship between them.

Don't get me wrong she needs to treat Felicity better and apologize but we won't get that apology partly because Felicity hasn't really said anything about the treatment besides "what kinds of friends are we?" Which was great but I'm holding my breath for Laurel to apologize remember who the showrunner is lol

I guess I do pretty much consider it work.  It's like being an unpaid CIA agent/Navy SEAL.  And if I worked with only one other woman, and I didn't like her, I wouldn't have any interest in becoming friends with her just because she happens to be a woman.  Again, I am absolutely sure they will bond in some way and get along just fine.  I am not, however, at all sure they'll be friends in the sense of going to see a movie together and get sushi afterwards.

Well of course not, they'd never betray Big Belly Burger. :)

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1