Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Not only will he have been kidnapped twice, but under the exact same circumstances with explicit forewarning!

Also, how do they find him all the time if he and his mom went into hiding? Does she keep in touch with Adrian? 

The problem for me with the kid storyline is that last season it was mainly a point to create drama. I mean we saw Samantha more than we saw William.  Oliver loving his kid is completely fine but the audience is supposed to be on his side because the message is 'the love for your child trumps it all'. So after having a handful of episodes which dealt more with Oliver's BM's influence on his relationship, the kid was gone. Basically we were told how much Oliver loves this kid without actually being shown what Oliver would be like as a dad apart from that one scene. In the end it wasn't about the kid, it was about plot. 

Now, almost a whole season later, we once again have to deal with the child that comes up like a plot device they just can't quit even though nobody really feels emotionally connected to it. At least I don't. The reason I feel emotional about it, is because I think children should be happy and have a safe life but not because I want more Oliver and William. The storyline basically works on the premise of a normal human being wanting a child not to be in danger. Other than that it will probably once again be about Samantha and Oliver's wrongdoings as a partner/father. 

Did that make sense? It made more sense in my head, I believe.

To sum it up, I could care less about BM.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Also, how do they find him all the time if he and his mom went into hiding? Does she keep in touch with Adrian? 

The problem for me with the kid storyline is that last season it was mainly a point to create drama. I mean we saw Samantha more than we saw William.  Oliver loving his kid is completely fine but the audience is supposed to be on his side because the message is 'the love for your child trumps it all'. So after having a handful of episodes which dealt more with Oliver's BM's influence on his relationship, the kid was gone. Basically we were told how much Oliver loves this kid without actually being shown what Oliver would be like as a dad apart from that one scene. In the end it wasn't about the kid, it was about plot. 

Now, almost a whole season later, we once again have to deal with the child that comes up like a plot device they just can't quit even though nobody really feels emotionally connected to it. At least I don't. The reason I feel emotional about it, is because I think children should be happy and have a safe life but not because I want more Oliver and William. The storyline basically works on the premise of a normal human being wanting a child not to be in danger. Other than that it will probably once again be about Samantha and Oliver's wrongdoings as a partner/father. 

*Couldn't care less (sorry, total pet peeve of mine XD)

But other than that, I agree. I'm just more irritated at the potential of the season emotional crux/stakes coming down to Oliver saving his kid after they already used this plot in a random middle episode last year. That that's the "desperate" times that makes Oliver thinks he should team up with morally grey people (Nyssa), straight criminals (Boomerang), and two people who have tried to kill him/people he cares about (Slade and Malcolm), despite the beginning of the season and 5a being about how Oliver (again) should open up to his team. Even if the desperation actually comes from the entire team being kidnapped plus his son, it still bothers me because there's nothing to learn or develop from by this happening (in fact, it only proves Oliver more right in that the people he cares about are in danger because of him) and only becomes a way to show a weirdly imbalanced showy fight scene. Throwing his kid in the mix just messes it up even more because now it's adding a further complication that I only shallowly (if anything) care about.

Although I am really looking forward to the next few episodes and am also shallowly excited to see that big fight scene, so I'll see how it works out. 

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Belinea said:

The storyline basically works on the premise of a normal human being wanting a child not to be in danger. Other than that it will probably once again be about Samantha and Oliver's wrongdoings as a partner/father. 

Yes, it makes sense to me. The kid has been presented like a victim of the week on any procedural show but is now going to be the lynchpin of the finale of the allegedly planned five year arc. 

Except I honestly do not care what happens to that future Darwin Award nominee or his mom. 

ETA: @way2interested said it better than me, but I'd like to add the kid solely exists to give Samantha leverage over Oliver not to examine the difficulties of raising a kid as a vigilante or Oliver as a parent. It's easy for me to dismiss them because they're just obstacles not characters. The writers will continue to return to that well because it creates drama between O/F while keeping Oliver's hands clean. "She's the mother of his child...." Gross.

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, Belinea said:

The problem for me with the kid storyline is that last season it was mainly a point to create drama. I mean we saw Samantha more than we saw William.  Oliver loving his kid is completely fine but the audience is supposed to be on his side because the message is 'the love for your child trumps it all'.

Even if Samantha is Chase's ex and he knows where they are because they kept in touch, they'll probably still make it be about how Oliver being in his life could be dangerous to the kid because, despite not letting go of this storyline, I think they realize they can't have the kid around, even part-time. It's already an awful storyline and he just makes it worse when he shows up. But they refuse to make Samantha look like the bad guy, even a little (which is probably why that second check disappeared) so it wouldn't be her fault at all. 

The bolded part is really what it comes down to. The problem is that they turn it into, "you will care about this kid because he's a kid - and he's Oliver's kid - even if it means that we screw over/forget about the other characters/relationships we've spent 4 (now 5) seasons on" whenever he's on-screen or brought up. It's what happened last year and if he is in fact kidnapped again, which, let's face it, will probably end up being something as stupid as the kid went with his "mother's friend" because Samantha probably never taught him "don't go with strangers" even after he was kidnapped last year, it'll happen again. 

I really hate this storyline and these characters, and I wish they'd have Flashpoint affect things one more time to make Chase or someone else the kid's father and erase that DNA test. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

So Marc said the trailer should come out around 3pm PST....any guesses on what will be on there. I pray we get at least one Olicity kiss if they wont preview the whole sex scene :P

Not if that ??? made an impression on Marc.

My guess: Oliver on the Island in Pilot wig, lots of Oliver action scenes (Prometheus, Kovar, etc), 1 or 2 Olicity scenes, 1 or 2 OTA scenes,  a funny and/or badass Felicity scene, a few quick scenes of masks (hero and villains) Lian Yu, a Chase being creepy scene, and ending on Deathstroke with a Many VO (hello, brother).

This is excluding the Oliver in Lair scene which we already saw

• Love 4
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

Except I honestly do not care what happens to that future Darwin Award nominee or his mom.

That's just brilliant.  Is there a junior category so we can get rid of him now?

I hope the only reason they bring William back is to finally end his role in terms of the show.  I doubt they will kill a child so hopefully he goes into WitSec until he turns 26 and comes back to fight alongside his father. But I want him and his mother to be off the show from now on.

This storyline has always made Oliver look like a gullible idiot and that's not the way I want the finale of five years of his struggles to be.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not if that ??? made an impression on Marc.

My guess: Oliver on the Island in Pilot wig, lots of Oliver action scenes (Prometheus, Kovar, etc), 1 or 2 Olicity scenes, 1 or 2 OTA scenes,  a funny and/or badass Felicity scene, a few quick scenes of masks (hero and villains) Lian Yu, a Chase being creepy scene, and ending on Deathstroke with a Many VO (hello, brother).

This is excluding the Oliver in Lair scene which we already saw

Lmfao I love your thinking. Hello brother had me rofl cause I was reading it out loud. ?

18 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

Lmfao I love your thinking. Hello brother had me rofl cause I was reading it out loud. ?

I wrote it and then went...wait isn't that what Damon said to Stefan?

I think Arrow copied TVD ?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

So Marc said the trailer should come out around 3pm PST....any guesses on what will be on there. I pray we get at least one Olicity kiss if they wont preview the whole sex scene :P

It's 3:30 PST... Do we seriously still not have the sizzle reel??! I didn't break speeding limits to get home only to be left hanging like this!

Me, right now, while I keep refreshing everywhere to check for that stupid sizzle reel of a show I still kinda love/but am kinda petty about, too:

giphy.gif

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

On MGs defense, his actual tweet

tumblr_noe9n2bXnF1s7gnr1o1_400.gif

I can't go through this again tomorrow! I nearly had a heart attack while driving all over the freeways of LA, okay?! And they better not be dropping it on Friday either, when I will be in airports and traveling all day! LMAO

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

"Technical difficulties". More like Chico probably left work early without posting it.

Maybe there is some really good Olicity and that mean woman is having one last spiteful hurrah!

• Love 3
(edited)

I know Everyone Hates Chico but, I'm going with the lame explanations, corrupted file, file conversion issue, intern had a hot date, left early and everyone else is technically impaired...??

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I know Everyone Hates Chico but, I'm going with the lame explanations, corrupted file, file conversion issue, intern had a hot date, left early and everyone else is technically impaired...??

I have to support one of my favorite shows, though, even if the real narrative doesn't match it!

9 minutes ago, lemotomato said:
Capture1.JPG.a7786850d0316fd477d32fce5b0dd323.JPG

So I guess this is when the "What's the heaviest gun Emily can carry" spoiler comes into play.

giphy.gif

Felicity! My bae! Aww... Alright, fine! I'm waking up earlier than usual to catch this sizzle reel!

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

What kind of gun is that? It looks like it fires both ammo and nerf balls.

Looks like an M4 Carbine with grenade launcher.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 5

Love it. Seriously, they should really have Felicity learn how to use a gun, just in case. Although she seems to manage okay in that shot, haha. 

8 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Rather than the gun, I'm much more curious about this jacket situation. Is that satin? Velvet? Velour? 

I love her so I tried to ignore that jacket. 

Maybe they get cosy in 520 and she was so happy she decided to wear that hideous thing to hint that she wants to get back together again. 

• Love 1

She looks like she's wearing a quilted, velour sweatsuit. 

IMG_2979.GIF.ef1ce620f7442802002f45c425dbce5e.GIF

ETA: The choice of this jacket makes me concerned regarding the decisions made for the rest of this season...

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm gonna guess that last part is Josh, though I would love for it to be a scene with Emily. 

Hopefully it's not with Samantha, both of them crying as Oliver promises to care for their idiot son as her life slowly slips away. 

Maybe it's with the kid as he finds out Oliver is Green Arrow AND his dad, hahahaha

someone hold me while i weep

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7